MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    imalive wrote:

should just make division series 7 games.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    norm wrote:
    Dale Sveum??? :?

i wonder how speedy feels about this
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Dale Sveum??? :?

i wonder how speedy feels about this

Anything is an upgrade from Quade.....that guy didn't have a clue.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I'm really confused, if you have 10 playoff teams, 5 from each league, how do you schedule the playoffs? unless there's a one game playoff of the bottom two teams .... even if you give the top team a by, you would still be left with 3 teams, not that a by in baseball is a good idea, how the hell are they going to work this?
  • I hate the extra Wild Card idea. It's going to stink no matter how they do it. If it's a 1-game playoff, I think that stinks because you could have a team with 90 wins lose 1 game to a team with 85 wins and that lets the 85-win team into the Division Series, for example. If they go with a 3-game series, then the other 6 teams are sitting around for 3-5 days (depending on how the series is scheduled) between the last game of the season and their first game of the playoffs. I like the Wild Card format the way it's been, but this 5-team playoffformat in each league is being done for money, not increased competition.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,932
    Love the extra wild card team...only if the LDS becomes a 7 game series. Love the idea of a one game playoff for the shitty wildcard spot. Want the 162 game season to mean something? Win your division. Want to show that you are worth being in the playoffs as a wildcard? Beat your divisional opponent in a 7 game series. Love it. Just needs a 7 game LDS to make it perfect.
    I hate the extra Wild Card idea. It's going to stink no matter how they do it. If it's a 1-game playoff, I think that stinks because you could have a team with 90 wins lose 1 game to a team with 85 wins and that lets the 85-win team into the Division Series, for example. If they go with a 3-game series, then the other 6 teams are sitting around for 3-5 days (depending on how the series is scheduled) between the last game of the season and their first game of the playoffs. I like the Wild Card format the way it's been, but this 5-team playoffformat in each league is being done for money, not increased competition.

Well put. I agree. Leave it alone and add games to the first round.

That said, the 1 game play-in game won't be terrible. plus it should give the 1 seed in each league a distinct advantage (gotta figure the best pitchers will be used in the play-in game, so those rotations will be shot).
    So if this was applyed to last year, the Sox and Braves get in and then the Sox and Tampa play a one off and Atlanta and the Cards play a one off, Hmmmm...
    So if this was applyed to last year, the Sox and Braves get in and then the Sox and Tampa play a one off and Atlanta and the Cards play a one off, Hmmmm...

And that's a good thing. Still need 7 games in the LDS though.

Wild cards play the day after the season ends, off day, LDS begins.
  • I don't like it even if they don't have an off-day between the end of the season and a 1-game playoff. What happens when there's a scenario like this: The Angels and Rays are the 2 AL Wild CArd teams. The Angels finish the season with a night game in Seattle (10:00 PM Eastern Time start) and has to then take a red-eye flight to Florida to play their 1-game playoff the next day. Tampa would have a distinct advantage because teams rarely finish the season on the opposite coast so they wouldn't have to travel as far even if they were also on the road. I don't like the possibility of one team being at a disadvantage simply because they're the road team and their flight didn't land until 5 AM.
    I don't wanna hear ball players bitch about red eyes especially if they're desperation to get into a playoff spot would be a hindrance. This isn't football or something where a red eye would kill your performance. These dude are baseball players - the least athletic of the 4 major sports. When they're on the road they drink till 4 am and slay dirty hookers. I don't wanna ever hear about how a team has to go coast-to-coast at 5 am to play a game at 8 the following night. There's plenty of time to sleep to rest(or nurse a hangover).
    When they're on the road they drink till 4 am and slay dirty hookers.

I was definitely meant to be a baseball player
  • Congrats to Kershaw! Even though I hate the Dodgers, Kershaw and Kemp may have been the best two players in the NL.
    Congrats to Kershaw! Even though I hate the Dodgers, Kershaw and Kemp may have been the best two players in the NL.

Just goes to show how much these individual awards mean in a team sport. I don't understand why people get so worked up about the individual stuff.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Congrats to Kershaw! Even though I hate the Dodgers, Kershaw and Kemp may have been the best two players in the NL.

Just goes to show how much these individual awards mean in a team sport. I don't understand why people get so worked up about the individual stuff.

i don't get why they wait until mid nov to annouce awards from a season that ended 45 days ago
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i don't get why they wait until mid nov to annouce awards from a season that ended 45 days ago

I think they announce this stuff leading up to the winter meetings in an attempt to keep MLB in the news. Pretty smart actually
  • The Fixer wrote:

I'm sure for Dodger fans it makes up for their shit franchise and owner.
    The Fixer wrote:
    I think they announce this stuff leading up to the winter meetings in an attempt to keep MLB in the news. Pretty smart actually

takes away from the season, imo.

i don't like it.

i'd like to see it annouced before the first round games are played.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i don't like it.

Me too, then Strawberry would have won the 1988 MVP instead of Kirk Gibson.
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i don't like it.

Me too, then Strawberry would have won the 1988 MVP instead of Kirk Gibson.

they vote before playoffs.

I could care less about the individual awards so I don't care when they announce them
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Labor agreement reached. Well done
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Labor agreement reached. Well done

Nice. Will be interesting to see how they dealt with draft slotting
    Sounds like there is a cap on what teams can spend on the draft overall. I dont really like it, baseball needs to pay kids early to stay with it but labor peace is all that counts.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Sounds like there is a cap on what teams can spend on the draft overall. I dont really like it, baseball needs to pay kids early to stay with it but labor peace is all that counts.

yeah, I agree. hopefully that doesn't cause them to lose kids to football and other sports
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, I agree. hopefully that doesn't cause them to lose kids to football and other sports

Yeah, man. Could become an issue but when all is said and done, baseball will have 21 years of labor peace, that's great news.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, man. Could become an issue but when all is said and done, baseball will have 21 years of labor peace, that's great news.

yep. plus kids can still make the most money playing baseball (longer career, no salary cap, etc).

I will also be anxious to see about draft pick compensation. specifically, did the phils waste a first rounder and 50 million on papelturd?
    No doubt, especially when compared to football and 3 year careers.

Joel sherman said type b is gone and it's going to be harder to be a type a.
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Maybe the NBA can take a lesson on how to reach a deal like the MLB did.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    good to see toronto going back to it's old logo and uni's

http://www.thesportsbank.net/mlb/toront ... s-in-logo/
  • I wonder if they'll be back in the light blue road uniforms.
    norm wrote:
    good to see toronto going back to it's old logo and uni's

http://www.thesportsbank.net/mlb/toront ... s-in-logo/