MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    not my money

sure it is....

you pay for cable...which pays fox/tbs/yes which pay mlb and or the yanks to carry their games.

i'm sure you buy products that pay for the commercials during those games or sponsorship at the stadium.

however direct or indirect it is, we are all paying money to the yanks.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I don't see this as overpaying. He certainly could have got a guaranteed 6 year deal on the market.
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Baseball is better off today, the manager who was the face of the steroid era is gone. Good riddance!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,863
    norm wrote:
    I feel a little dirty going to that site....what with the lakers and trojans sidebars :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Considering that CC is 2 years younger and a better pitcher than Cliff Lee, I'd say they got him for a good price. Their deals are very similar after this extension.
    Flagg wrote:
    Do the Yankees ever feel like they might be overpaying for someone?
    Considering that CC is 2 years younger and a better pitcher than Cliff Lee, I'd say they got him for a good price. Their deals are very similar after this extension.
    he's also a biscuit away from 350 :shock:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • He admitted yesterday that he needs to lose a little weight but I don't see his weight being an issue unless he gets even bigger than he's been. His stamina doesn't seem to be an issue. He's made 33-35 starts and pitched at least 230 innings every year since 2007. As long as he keeps doing that I don't care if he waddles out to the mound looking like Grimace.
    imalive wrote:
    Considering that CC is 2 years younger and a better pitcher than Cliff Lee, I'd say they got him for a good price. Their deals are very similar after this extension.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Gold Glove winners

AL: Buehrle P, Wieters C, Gonzalez 1B, Pedroia 2B, Beltre 3B, Aybar SS, Gordon LF, Ellsbury CF, Markakis RF

NL: Kershaw P, Molina C, Votto 1B, Phillips 2B, Polanco 3B, Tulowitzki SS, Parra LF, Kemp CF, Ethier RF
    Waking up to see the Dodgers are for sale...I hope i'm not dreaming

Fuck off McCourt
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    He admitted yesterday that he needs to lose a little weight but I don't see his weight being an issue unless he gets even bigger than he's been. His stamina doesn't seem to be an issue. He's made 33-35 starts and pitched at least 230 innings every year since 2007. As long as he keeps doing that I don't care if he waddles out to the mound looking like Grimace.
    imalive wrote:

That would be my biggest worry though.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    norm wrote:
    Gold Glove winners

AL: Buehrle P, Wieters C, Gonzalez 1B, Pedroia 2B, Beltre 3B, Aybar SS, Gordon LF, Ellsbury CF, Markakis RF

NL: Kershaw P, Molina C, Votto 1B, Phillips 2B, Polanco 3B, Tulowitzki SS, Parra LF, Kemp CF, Ethier RF
    Panda got hosed :evil:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    norm wrote:

Fuck off McCourt

Great news Norm. Hoping to have a new owner in place by opening day.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Brett Gardner was the best outfielder in baseball this year. F'n Robbed :evil:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Fuck off McCourt

hopefully that will happen but i don't want selig to just sell to the "lowest bidder" like he did the last time...i want an owner that wants to run a successful baseball franchise and not enhance their ego
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

Fuck off McCourt

hopefully that will happen but i don't want selig to just sell to the "lowest bidder" like he did the last time...i want an owner that wants to run a successful baseball franchise and not enhance their ego

No doubt. They are going to make sure its done right. From what I have read, which isn't everything, it seems like the only way McCourt breaks even is if the team goes for a billion or more and knowing him, there is no way he would agree to it if he wasn't going to at least break even.

And just look at the vetting process Crane has gone through for the Astros and think about the history of the Dodgers, I think you will be in good hands when all is said and done.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I think you will be in good hands when all is said and done.

yeah but it's this guy's hands

07_alan_bud_selig.jpg

:roll:
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

07_alan_bud_selig.jpg

Ha, true. I do think it will turn out alright, even though you have every right to be pessimistic about it.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,406
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

07_alan_bud_selig.jpg

he just oozes confidence

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:

07_alan_bud_selig.jpg

Ha, true. I do think it will turn out alright, even though you have every right to be pessimistic about it.
    I like the pessimistic vibe! :lol::mrgreen:

does donald sterling covet a baseball team? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    I like the pessimistic vibe! :lol::mrgreen:

does donald sterling covet a baseball team? :?

my pessimism is backed by facts re: bud selig

and we just got rid of a guy who wants to be sterling...let's try the guy who wants to be jerry buss (cuban)
    $1.5 Billion

:shock:
  • His bottom lip must weigh 8 pounds, easily.
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

07_alan_bud_selig.jpg

norm wrote:
    the best thing was this, from the comments section :lol:

This is awesome. 2 dorks arguing over something the know absolutely about. Winning an argument on the Internet is like winning a race in the special olympics, even if you win your still retarded.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    norm wrote:
    $1.5 Billion

will mccourt get rich off of something he never had the money to buy in the first place? :? :wtf:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:
    $1.5 Billion

will mccourt get rich off of something he never had the money to buy in the first place? :? :wtf:

probably not...since he never put in any of his own money, just debt, his profit will be negligible
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,406
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/71830 ... obacco-ban
    Lawmakers want HGH testing in MLB

WASHINGTON -- Two House Democrats are urging Major League Baseball and the players union to implement testing for human growth hormone and ban chewing tobacco by players in uniform and in public view.

Reps. Henry Waxman of California and Frank Pallone of New Jersey made those requests in a letter Wednesday to Commissioner Bud Selig and Michael Weiner, executive director of the players union.

It's the latest in a series of salvos from Capitol Hill on tobacco and HGH, although recent congressional attention on HGH has focused on the NFL.

Waxman, the top Democrat on the Energy and Commerce Committee, and Pallone, the top Democrat on the panel's health subcommittee, held a hearing last year on chewing tobacco and dip -- collectively known as smokeless tobacco. They're making a push on tobacco and HGH as MLB and the union negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement, with the current one set to expire next month.

"These issues affect the integrity of the game, the health of your players, and most important, the health of teenagers who aspire to be like pro players," the congressmen wrote.

The players union declined to comment on the letter. MLB did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Waxman and Pallone noted that Selig testified in 2008 that he would support an HGH test "when a valid, commercially available and practical test for HGH becomes reality," and that Weiner's predecessor, Donald Fehr, said at that hearing the union would "consider in good faith any valid and effective test which is developed." Waxman chaired that hearing, held to discuss the Mitchell Report, which identified major league players it said had used steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs.

"The time to begin testing for HGH in baseball has arrived," the congressmen wrote, citing the use of blood testing for HGH in the Olympics.

The NFL and its players already agreed to begin blood testing for HGH as part of their new collective bargaining agreement reached in late July -- but only if the union agreed to the methods. The union has delayed implementing the test, asking for more scientific data to prove it is reliable. Last week, Waxman and two other House Democrats urged the chairman of the Energy and Commerce Committee, Michigan Republican Fred Upton, to hold hearings on the impasse. Waxman's office said it has not yet received a formal response.

Meanwhile, four senators wrote to the baseball players union on the eve of the World Series last month urging a ban on chewing tobacco. A coalition including the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Cancer Society and the American Medical Association has been pushing for one since last year. Selig endorsed the ban in March, but the players union hasn't committed to one. Weiner said in June that a "sincere effort" will be made to address the issue.

"There is ample precedent for a ban on the use of smokeless tobacco on the field and in the dugout," Waxman and Pallone wrote. "The use of cigarettes by players in uniform and in view of the public has been banned for over three decades. Minor league baseball has banned the use or possession of smokeless tobacco in ballparks since 1993, with no adverse impact on the game or its players."

The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says smokeless tobacco can cause cancer, oral health problems and nicotine addiction, and stresses it is not a safe alternative to smoking. Despite the risks, the CDC's most recent survey found that in 2009, 15 percent of high school boys used smokeless tobacco -- a more than one-third increase over 2003, when 11 percent did.

Some baseball players interviewed by The Associated Press at the end of the season were receptive to a ban, but others viewed it as an infringement on their freedom. Chewing tobacco in baseball dates well back into the 19th century.
    www.myspace.com
    economy is in the crapper but thank god congress is dealing with hgh in baseball

fucktards