MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    There is no way of knowing who did or who didnt juice in those years

When a guy like Jason Grimsley was juicing all bets are off

The whole era is suspect

And that's why under the rules of the time, if they didn't violate any written rules against it, then they should be allowed in.

Baseball writers are asses. It's their only claim to power. Just put up a sign in Cooperstown along the lines of the performance-enhanced era and end it already.

I agree

Every decade in baseball has had its "cheating" phase if you will

Not sure any other sport has been so dirty with its cheating

Yeah, right. It's just that for some reason it's cared about more in baseball than in other sports. The problem is that the sport is looked at in a more sacred manner than all the other sports. And it's all because of the numbers.

If anyone actually thinks that NFL players are walking this Earth, and are not on something, have something wrong with them.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    There is no
    Yeah, right. It's just that for some reason it's cared about more in baseball than in other sports. The problem is that the sport is looked at in a more sacred manner than all the other sports. And it's all because of the numbers.

If anyone actually thinks that NFL players are walking this Earth, and are not on something, have something wrong with them.

No doubt the NFL/NHL Im sure have doping issues

I meant with all the other means of cheating..spit balls/corked bats/sand paper in gloves/nail files/sign stealing

So many ways in baseball to cheat
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928

The whole era is suspect
    which is why pureoc's idea to "keep the roiders out" will never work......because there's no doubt in my mind that some unsuspected/uncaught roider will get in or is already in. and the double standard really gets to me when these same voters call torre and larussa "sure fire HOFers." what? steroids didn't help their careers? :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    imalive wrote:

The whole era is suspect
    which is why pureoc's idea to "keep the roiders out" will never work......because there's no doubt in my mind that some unsuspected/uncaught roider will get in or is already in. and the double standard really gets to me when these same voters call torre and larussa "sure fire HOFers." what? steroids didn't help their careers? :wtf:

asterisk on everyone from '93 - '04.
    maybe a double asterisk next to everyone named in the mitchel report? :?
    www.myspace.com
  • There is no

No doubt the NFL/NHL Im sure have doping issues

I meant with all the other means of cheating..spit balls/corked bats/sand paper in gloves/nail files/sign stealing

So many ways in baseball to cheat

What about all the clutching & grabbing in the NHL in the 90s and early 00s that was never called. I'm talking to you, New Jersey Devils. (no I'm not bitter or anything :evil: )
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    imalive wrote:

The whole era is suspect

asterisk on everyone from '93 - '04.
    maybe a double asterisk next to everyone named in the mitchel report? :?

And an asterisk on Babe Ruth and everyone before 1947 because they didn't play against black players
    And Hank Aaron and Roger Maris need an asterisk because they played in longer seasons
    And Gaylord Perry needs an asterisk because he was a cheater
    And on and on.

Let them all in.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    another point is that numbers from the steroid era were inflated by things other than steroids. expansion, smaller new parks (and moving fences in at existing parks), balls wound tighter, etc.

steroids aren't the only reason for these numbers. also, there is still no factual evidence that roids help a player hit a baseball.

HOF resumes should be measured against peers that played in the same eras. I have no issue with deserving players from this era being voted in...ie bonds, clemens, mcgwire, bagwell, arod, etc
  • Congrats Buckley, what you did takes guts...
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/20110106welcome_to_my_coming-out_party/srvc=home&position=1
    For those who don't read his stuff on a daily basis, he's one of the nicest and most knowledgeable baseball guys I've come across. Met him in Cooperstown a few years ago.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Congrats Buckley, what you did takes guts...
    http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/columnists/view/20110106welcome_to_my_coming-out_party/srvc=home&position=1
    For those who don't read his stuff on a daily basis, he's one of the nicest and most knowledgeable baseball guys I've come across. Met him in Cooperstown a few years ago.

Just read this. Very cool for him.
    could be wrong, but I think this would have been a good time for renteria to retire :?
    who knows? maybe he'll tear it up...

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    sounds like garza to the cubs is back on and has a good chance of happening
  • The Fixer wrote:

Done deal according to mlbtraderumors!
  • imalive wrote:
    could be wrong, but I think this would have been a good time for renteria to retire :?

I agree, he's just trying to get any last penny he can before he does retire. How many games did he play for the Giants last year? 62 or so?
    The Fixer wrote:

Done deal according to mlbtraderumors!

If I was tampa I would have moved shields over garza since shields blows. I assume garza is owed more money for 2011 and beyond.

will be exciting to see what hellickson can do over a full season in that division
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    garza is done deal pending physicals.

poor guy now has to play for the cubs. i would try and fail that physical if i were him.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

poor guy now has to play for the cubs. i would try and fail that physical if i were him.
    No shit, right? At least he'll be actually pitching in front of a live audience instead of the garage down in Tampa.

This offseason cannot get any better for the Red Sox. First the duo of Crawford and Gonzalez, then the Yanks miss Lee, now Garza (the Red Sox killer) goes to the NL. I'm speechless. Garza's the only guy on Tampa's staff that always scared me.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    81 wrote:

Garza is good, not that good. Cubs are giving up a lot.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Go find a part of Magnolia on youtube, and then try to stop after one 10 minute part. Can't happen. It's not humanly possible. You just keep watching the next one and the next one and the next one.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Garza is good, not that good. Cubs are giving up a lot.

That was my reaction too. Archer is supposed to be a stud.

Decent trade for both squads. The cubs seem like one of those teams that never has a plan. They just spend irresponsibly
    imalive wrote:

I agree, he's just trying to get any last penny he can before he does retire. How many games did he play for the Giants last year? 62 or so?
    72....so the reds are really giving him the equivalent of $4-6M per year :lol:
    81 wrote:

the faces change, but not the result.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Hoffman retiring is kind of a big deal.

Only a matter of time for Mo to take over the all time saves.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

eh. he should have hung it up 3-4 years ago when he blew that play-in game vs colorado.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

eh. he should have hung it up 3-4 years ago when he blew that play-in game vs colorado.

Yeah, definitely but no one ever retires when they should. Shit, Bernie Williams is still not "retired"
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Either late this year or early next year. He's about 40 or so behind Hoffman.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Either late this year or early next year. He's about 40 or so behind Hoffman.

Yeah, read this morning on Lohud that he is 42 behind him, kind of fitting. As long as he stays healthy.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Yeah, definitely but no one ever retires when they should. Shit, Bernie Williams is still not "retired"

true. I don't blame these guys. If I was a pro athlete they'd have to rip the jersey off my back. I'd go out like rickey henderson
    The Fixer wrote:
    true. I don't blame these guys. If I was a pro athlete they'd have to rip the jersey off my back. I'd go out like rickey henderson

Most definitely the greatest player to ever put on a Long Island Ducks uniform. ha. I would do the same.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Bonds is still waiting by the phone! :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Bonds is still waiting by the phone! :lol:

haha, forgot he still wants to play. Thats funny.
    Garza gone from the Rays and Farnsworth to the Rays. Good shit!