MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Ozzie may be the most entertaining human alive.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?tcid= ... d&c_id=cws

I hope this is exactly how the commercial airs.
  • That's too funny.

You know what! I be tinking about this. I got the best gift for you for christmas. You can get me for christmas.

So no input on my question the last page Cliffy? I thought you'd be the one to know the answer.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    That's too funny.

You know what! I be tinking about this. I got the best gift for you for christmas. You can get me for christmas.

So no input on my question the last page Cliffy? I thought you'd be the one to know the answer.

Missed that. Was actually up in your hood all week and had little time to dick around. I think it depends on the situation and what the teams agree to. I know Arod is still not fully paid from the Rangers so he was getting two checks. If it is a smaller amount I bet they just write a check. I think it is something the teams probably negotiate. Not a fact but since Arod is still getting paid by Texas, I would imagine that's how it works.

PS. Your airport sucks balls.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    That's too funny.

Missed that. Was actually up in your hood all week and had little time to dick around. I think it depends on the situation and what the teams agree to. I know Arod is still not fully paid from the Rangers so he was getting two checks. If it is a smaller amount I bet they just write a check. I think it is something the teams probably negotiate. Not a fact but since Arod is still getting paid by Texas, I would imagine that's how it works.

PS. Your airport sucks balls.

Boston and philly might be the two worst airports in the US. honorable mention to vegas and miami.

I forgot about texas still paying Arod. Aren't the mets still paying bobby bonilla $1 million a year. haha, I love the mets
  • Yeah Logan is crap. Never been to Philly. I've always thought the best airport is Denver. I stopped over there earlier this year on the way back from Seattle.

It makes more sense from a management standpoint if the player receives two checks, that way there's not X million dollars going on the door for one team at one time. The other thing to remember too is that Texas has little to no income tax (same with Florida), whereas New York and Mass have high income taxes. This would complicate things when talking about BIG bucks changing hands.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    I like what the Pad's are doing. Giants are such a fluke it's not even funny - Rox or Pads take that division this year.
    edited December 2010
    greinke traded to milwaukee. I remember reading an article about greinke being overly talented and just getting bored at times with baseball because he is so dominant (this is how he came up with that 60 MPH curveball he throws at times). at one point he tried to talk KC into letting him DH on days where he didn't pitch. apparently he rips...I could see him hitting 5-10 bombs for the brewers.

watch out for the royals in 2-3 years. their farm system is absolutely loaded
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Ozzie may be the most entertaining human alive.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?tcid= ... d&c_id=cws

only thing better would have been him wearing a santa hat or something.
    www.myspace.com
    Brewers are all in. Pretty solid rotation. Should be able to take care of business in the central. If not, Greinke will be available again in about 7 months.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Brewers are all in. Pretty solid rotation. Should be able to take care of business in the central. If not, Greinke will be available again in about 7 months.

I still think the reds are the team to beat there.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I still think the reds are the team to beat there.

I hope so. I would not mind seeing Greinke available again mid season. Brewers have a pretty solid rotation though.
    The Fixer wrote:

Dude from Baseball Prospectus says it's the best farm system he has ever seen.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I haven't really looked at it. Did they get a good haul for Greinke?

I read the Posnanski article about him this week. He thinks he needs a high-pressure situation, quite the opposite of what everyone says.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I haven't really looked at it. Did they get a good haul for Greinke?

I read the Posnanski article about him this week. He thinks he needs a high-pressure situation, quite the opposite of what everyone says.

I will have to check out the posnanski article. I think he is great. I am no expert, but I agree with that opinion. greinke's problem in the past is that he has gotten bored. An atmosphere like NY would do him well.

I love everything about baseball. the mental aspect is unmatched in other sports

yeah, KC got some nice prospects. jeffress has been busted for weed 3 times already, but he throws 100 mph. he's a future closer if he lays off the green
  • I like what the Pad's are doing. Giants are such a fluke it's not even funny - Rox or Pads take that division this year.

I gotta love a fluke that whoops your ass in the NLCS! :lol:
    The Giants have the division easy, it's called pitching! Starting and a bullpen! :D
    The Rox may be the only competition in the NL West. The Madres are shit!
    I like what the Pad's are doing. Giants are such a fluke it's not even funny - Rox or Pads take that division this year.

The Giants have the division easy, it's called pitching! Starting and a bullpen! :D

exclamation point!
    emoticon!
    repeat!
    repeat!

conan needs to do a character based on this guy :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • I like what the Pad's are doing. Giants are such a fluke it's not even funny - Rox or Pads take that division this year.

exclamation point!
    emoticon!
    repeat!
    repeat!

I have been told that I look like Conan with the floppy hair and the pasty skin color :D

exclamation point!
    emoticon!
    repeat!
    repeat!

I have been told that I look like Conan with the floppy hair and the pasty skin color :D

you look like the pj stick figure dude.
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    So Zack Grienke and Betancourt to the Brewers. Good move for them.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • So Zack Grienke and Betancourt to the Brewers. Good move for them.

Well, the Greinke part, yes. Betancourt is one of the worst players in baseball - they just took some of the salary off the Royals' hands.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    So Zack Grienke and Betancourt to the Brewers. Good move for them.

Well, the Greinke part, yes. Betancourt is one of the worst players in baseball - they just took some of the salary off the Royals' hands.

yeah, royals get rid of betancourt but gain francoeur. at best that's a push.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928

you're kidding, right? :wtf:
    if any team was a fluke, it was the pads. and now, gonzales is gone...
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

And they didn't win because of Gonzalez. They won because of their pitching, and they improved at short and second immensely. They bettered the whole of their team by bringing in Hudson and Bartlett.
  • imalive wrote:

And they didn't win because of Gonzalez. They won because of their pitching, and they improved at short and second immensely. They bettered the whole of their team by bringing in Hudson and Bartlett.

I do not think they really won with their pitching either. Most of those guys were middle relief guys moved up to starters. I think there is something to be said about a pitching staff that most teams have never seen or rarely seen, similar to Madison Bumgarner in the playoffs. Their ace Chris Young was out all year and they won a ton of one run ball games. Heath Bell is still a bad ass though. Too bad Boston did not get him too! :lol:
    buster olney's top 10 rotations in baseball:

1. Philadelphia Phillies

Combine the 2010 results for Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels, Roy Oswalt and Cliff Lee, and this is what you get:

Games: 126
    Innings: 883.1
    Hits: 773
    Earned runs: 279
    Walks (and this is the most incredible number): 164
    Strikeouts: 808
    Earned run average: 2.84
    Average innings per start: About 7

Those statistics are very, very special.

2. San Francisco Giants

The Giants posted the third-best ERA for any rotation in the majors, and then dominated in the postseason -- and here's something scary to think about: the Giants might actually be better in 2011. Tim Lincecum really seemed to learn from his adversity in August, working harder on his conditioning and adding a slider, and Madison Bumgarner showed his upside in the World Series. The concerns would be Jonathan Sanchez, who seemed to get very tired late last season, and Barry Zito, who posted a 4.70 ERA after the All-Star break.

3. Oakland Athletics

They very quietly posted the best starters' ERA in the majors last year, at 3.47, because of the incredible progression of Trevor Cahill and the excellence of Brett Anderson (when he wasn't dealing with injuries). Gio Gonzalez posted a 3.23 ERA in 33 starts, and Dallas Braden managed a 3.50 ERA in 30 starts. So long as Cahill and Anderson are healthy and productive, this will be a very tough group, with Brandon McCarthy or Rich Harden or somebody else working in the No. 5 spot.

4. Tampa Bay Rays

Look, the Rays lost a bunch of guys in their everyday lineup and in their bullpen, and they may lose ground in the standings -- but their rotation should be excellent, with the developing Wade Davis, Jeff Niemann and Jeremy Hellickson wrapped around David Price, Matt Garza and James Shields. Now, it would appear very possible that the Rays deal Garza before the July 31 trade deadline, and Shields is a key, coming off a season in which he really struggled in the second half; his ERA was a whopping 5.59, and he just seemed to have no idea how to fix what ailed him.

[+] EnlargeKim Klement/US Presswire
    Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz have become the more reliable starters for the Boston Red Sox.

5. Boston Red Sox

John Lackey and Josh Beckett were major disappointments for the Red Sox last season. But Clay Buchholz climbed into the elite tier of starters in the majors -- and Jon Lester was already there. Boston needs bounce-back seasons from Lackey and Beckett, not only in 2011, but in the years that follow, because the Red Sox have invested big dollars in both.

6. Milwaukee Brewers

Yovani Gallardo is 24 years old, has the stuff to be a frontline starter and could benefit from playing for a contender, and Randy Wolf had a decent first season with the Brewers. And now you add Shaun Marcum, who was a good pitcher in the AL East and should be able to take advantage of the NL lineups, and Zack Greinke, who might have as much pure talent as any pitcher in the majors not named Felix Hernandez. It could be a special group.

7. Detroit Tigers

Justin Verlander is one of the best and is in his prime, going 18-9 with a 3.37 ERA and 219 strikeouts in 224.1 innings last year, and Max Scherzer seemed to grow last year. In the same way, Rick Porcello overcame a horrendous start to pitch better down the stretch after he learned something about diagnosing his own mechanics pitch to pitch and inning to inning; Porcello, who turns 22 in a few days, lowered his ERA from 6.14 at the All-Star break to 4.00 in the second half. Phil Coke is expected to man one of the spots at the back end of the rotation.

8a. Atlanta Braves

Tim Hudson was a Cy Young candidate until a September fade, Derek Lowe was one of the majors' best pitchers down the stretch, Tommy Hanson was much better than his 10-11 win-loss record would indicate and the Braves would have reasonable hope that Jair Jurrjens -- crushed by injuries in 2010 -- will be better next summer.

8b. St. Louis Cardinals

Jaime Garcia was the front-runner for the NL Rookie of the Year for a lot of the season, and he will slot in third or fourth in this rotation, behind Adam Wainwright and Chris Carpenter and perhaps ahead of Jake Westbrook. The key to this group is Carpenter, who faded down the stretch. If this was just a blip, rather than an indicator of things to come for Carpenter, who turns 36 in April, then St. Louis will have one of the best rotations in the majors.

10a. Los Angeles Dodgers

By the second half of last season, Clayton Kershaw achieved the kind of dominance projected for him when he was in the minors; Kershaw held opponents to a .179 average in September. The Dodgers have a good group behind Kershaw, with Ted Lilly (who had a 3.52 ERA in 12 starts for L.A. in 2010), the underrated Hiroki Kuroda, Chad Billingsley and Jon Garland.

10b. Chicago White Sox

They've got a nice core of John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Mark Buehrle and Edwin Jackson, but the simple fact is that they have no idea what to expect out of Jake Peavy, who went 7-6 with a 4.63 ERA. If Peavy bounces back, this could be an excellent rotation.
    www.myspace.com
    Would love for the Yankees to get their hands on one of the Oakland starters, especially Cahill.

I have a slight problem with St Louis being 8
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Would love for the Yankees to get their hands on one of the Oakland starters, especially Cahill.

8b, no less. i'd put them higher too.
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    ^^^^^^ where are the yankees???? :? :lol::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    ^^^^^^ where are the yankees???? :? :lol::lol:

Hey now. As of right now low, with Pettitte, much better.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

cahill and anderson are both studs.

can't wait for baseball