MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Move Tex to DH, don't give him an option and sign Pujols. Cano, Tex, Pujols, Arod....done. Oh and if that happens, thanks Cliff Lee for not signing.

Not going to happen but I can dream, right?

You can go straight to Hell is what you can do.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Move Tex to DH, don't give him an option and sign Pujols. Cano, Tex, Pujols, Arod....done. Oh and if that happens, thanks Cliff Lee for not signing.

You can go straight to Hell is what you can do.

I will gladly sell my soul and go straight to hell for Pujols batting cleanup in pinstripes.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    norm wrote:

• San Francisco Giants. Sure, the Barry Zito(notes) thing didn’t work out. But this is their shot at the second coming of Bonds.

no, it's not. he's, literally, a pale imitation.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

no way Tex should be bumped to DH for pujols. I know pujols is decent in the field - he's doesn't have ryan howard's seal hands - but he's nowhere near as good as Tex.

I would love to see pujols get busted for juice right as he goes into his FA year. I have always had a problem with him since he cried about losing the MVP to howard (saying how a guy that didn't make the playoffs shouldn't win the MVP...what an idiot).

I could see the yanks making a run at pujols though. That would be insane
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

no way Tex should be bumped to DH for pujols. I know pujols is decent in the field - he's doesn't have ryan howard's seal hands - but he's nowhere near as good as Tex.

I would love to see pujols get busted for juice right as he goes into his FA year. I have always had a problem with him since he cried about losing the MVP to howard (saying how a guy that didn't make the playoffs shouldn't win the MVP...what an idiot).

I could see the yanks making a run at pujols though. That would be insane

Yeah, I agree that would be the better move, just don't know if Pujols would sign to be a full time DH, maybe get a couple days in the field a week. Then again, for $30 mil a year who knows.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:

Last I checked an AL team could only have one DH. Posada, Rodriguez, who else?

Although, why stop at one DH - just have 9 guys play the field and 9 other guys hit, right? Like football.

(Yes, the DH is a fucking joke.)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Although, why stop at one DH - just have 9 guys play the field and 9 other guys hit, right? Like football.

Posada is done after this year (at least I would imagine). Hopefully Arod can hold up in the field.
  • and the Angels fuck up again...

Angels beat Weaver in arbitration hearing. I think the difference was roughly a million, but you don't want to get on one of your starters bad side, do you?
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    and the Angels fuck up again...

Angels beat Weaver in arbitration hearing. I think the difference was roughly a million, but you don't want to get on one of your starters bad side, do you?

as a fan, I'd always rather have the team win arb hearings. they can make it up to the player down the road by giving them a contract (if said player earns a multi-year deal)

when ryan howard won his arb hearing it was awful for the phils. he was awarded something like 10 million dollars. it killed the phils budget for that season. of course most phils fans were happy that 'he got paid'.

you don't pay a player on past performance...you pay them on projected performance.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:
    and the Angels fuck up again...

as a fan, I'd always rather have the team win arb hearings. they can make it up to the player down the road by giving them a contract (if said player earns a multi-year deal)

when ryan howard won his arb hearing it was awful for the phils. he was awarded something like 10 million dollars. it killed the phils budget for that season. of course most phils fans were happy that 'he got paid'.

you don't pay a player on past performance...you pay them on projected performance.

yes....2008 turned out horribly for the phillies that year.

:?
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the dh is the worst rule in all of sports. it's just been around for so long that everyone takes it for granted. but the fact that one league has such a huuuuuuuuuuuge advantage over the other is incredibly not fair. either get rid or it (preferred) or put it in both leagues to make things even. i've hated the dh since i was a baby. utterly stupid rule...
    www.myspace.com
  • the dh is the worst rule in all of sports. it's just been around for so long that everyone takes it for granted. but the fact that one league has such a huuuuuuuuuuuge advantage over the other is incredibly not fair. either get rid or it (preferred) or put it in both leagues to make things even. i've hated the dh since i was a baby. utterly stupid rule...

In almost any sport an athlete has to play offense AND defense (except football of course). Then in baseball, one guy only has to play offense, and another guy only plays defense, and everyone else has to do both. WTF :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    the dh is the worst rule in all of sports. it's just been around for so long that everyone takes it for granted. but the fact that one league has such a huuuuuuuuuuuge advantage over the other is incredibly not fair. either get rid or it (preferred) or put it in both leagues to make things even. i've hated the dh since i was a baby. utterly stupid rule...

In almost any sport an athlete has to play offense AND defense (except football of course). Then in baseball, one guy only has to play offense, and another guy only plays defense, and everyone else has to do both. WTF :roll:

right...to me its more that one league has it and the other doesn't though. literally every single year the al team has an incredibly huge built in advantage in the world series. if you step back and think about it, it's amazing that it's been like this for 30 or 40 years...
    www.myspace.com
  • In less than 24 hours, pitchers and catchers are reporting to Spring Training! :)

it killed the giants in the 2002 WS. their DH choices were shawn dunston and shinjo :wtf: . you know you're fucked when your DH is batting 9th.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I really don't get why the Cardinals are struggling to sign Pujols to an extension. Apparently he wants something like 10 years, $300 million. This guy is going to go down as one of the best players ever. Give him whatever he wants....you can't let this guy get to free agency. I just don't get this...
    I really don't get why the Cardinals are struggling to sign Pujols to an extension. Apparently he wants something like 10 years, $300 million. This guy is going to go down as one of the best players ever. Give him whatever he wants....you can't let this guy get to free agency. I just don't get this...

Never thought it would get to this point. I agree with the Cards that they can't just hand out $300 mil but they better get damn close. I am crossing my fingers, Pujols hitting free agency would be absolutely awesome.
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I really don't get why the Cardinals are struggling to sign Pujols to an extension. Apparently he wants something like 10 years, $300 million. This guy is going to go down as one of the best players ever. Give him whatever he wants....you can't let this guy get to free agency. I just don't get this...

Never thought it would get to this point. I agree with the Cards that they can't just hand out $300 mil but they better get damn close. I am crossing my fingers, Pujols hitting free agency would be absolutely awesome.

I dunno if it would be just "handing out" $300 mill. We're talking about a guy who at 31 is already one of the best hitters ever. And its not like the Cardinals are a small market team with shitty attendance....should be interesting to see if they get something done at the last minute here
    they'd survive without him. they were good before he got there; they'd still be marginal contenders if he left :?. I hope he walks....just because larussa is about as pompous an ass as you'll ever find :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I really don't get why the Cardinals are struggling to sign Pujols to an extension. Apparently he wants something like 10 years, $300 million. This guy is going to go down as one of the best players ever. Give him whatever he wants....you can't let this guy get to free agency. I just don't get this...

They don't want to pay $30M a year for a 40-year-old who's potentially over the hill and has nothing left. Like the Yanks will be doing with Rodriguez.

They don't want to pay $30M a year for a 40-year-old who's potentially over the hill and has nothing left. Like the Yanks will be doing with Rodriguez.
    hopefully, the yanks eat at least FOUR unproductive years with A-hole :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:

hopefully, the yanks eat at least FOUR unproductive years with A-hole :mrgreen:

Unproductive, no. Not worth the $20-$25 million he will be making the last four years, absolutely.
    imalive wrote:

it killed the giants in the 2002 WS. their DH choices were shawn dunston and shinjo :wtf: . you know you're fucked when your DH is batting 9th.

this happens every year.

chris coste, greg dobbs, ben francisco and matt stairs were the phils dh's in 2008 and 2009.

distinct disadvantage every single year.
    www.myspace.com
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Yeah but the American League pitchers have to bat. They're lucky if they have 10 ABs a year. Plus the American League has to take out their DH for those games and when your DH is someone as prolific as say David Ortiz, how is that helping. Josh Beckett is not a better option hitting than David Ortiz.

Plus how many really premiere DHs are there right now? I can only think of David Ortiz, Vlad Guerrero and soon to be Adam Dunn.
    32 shows and counting...
    Kraven wrote:
    Yeah but the American League pitchers have to bat. They're lucky if they have 10 ABs a year. Plus the American League has to take out their DH for those games and when your DH is someone as prolific as say David Ortiz, how is that helping. Josh Beckett is not a better option hitting than David Ortiz.

Plus how many really premiere DHs are there right now? I can only think of David Ortiz, Vlad Guerrero and soon to be Adam Dunn.

i don't think the pitching argument holds water because all pitchers suck at hitting. it's either a wash or very slight advantage to the nl.

in contrast the mvp of the '09 series was a dh getting paid 13 million bucks solely to hit the ball...and hit the ball very well.
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Kraven wrote:

i don't think the pitching argument holds water because all pitchers suck at hitting. it's either a wash or very slight advantage to the nl.

in contrast the mvp of the '09 series was a dh getting paid 13 million bucks solely to hit the ball...and hit the ball very well.

GODZILLA !!!!! :lol:

and the nl pitchers hit WAYYYYbetter and bunt 1 million x better so don't say that holds little weight
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Kraven wrote:
    Plus the American League has to take out their DH for those games and when your DH is someone as prolific as say David Ortiz, how is that helping.
    or...you can leave him in, like Vlad, and watch him absolutely butcher plays in the outfield :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited February 2011
    Kraven wrote:

and the nl pitchers hit WAYYYYbetter and bunt 1 million x better so don't say that holds little weight

you ever see a pitcher win a world series mvp because of his hitting? :lol: dude....
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
    cc sabathia to sign with phillies next year:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/ ... id=6120676

:lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    edited February 2011
    Kraven wrote:

you ever see a pitcher win a world series mvp because of his hitting? :lol: dude....

no ..but don't make it like the pitchers cancel each other out...you know the NL pitchers who bat 3-4 x every 5 days as opposed to 3-4 times per year are a bigger factor
    Post edited by neilybabes86 on
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......