MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Garza gone from the Rays and Farnsworth to the Rays. Good shit!

farnsworth...haha.

gotta think that hellickson will do fine in garza's place (if not better).

That said, I'll be shocked if tampa can score enough to keep pace with the yanks and sox this year. Toronto could be the team to watch for in that division. I think they're still a year away, but they have some nice young players
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Garza gone from the Rays and Farnsworth to the Rays. Good shit!

farnsworth...haha.

gotta think that hellickson will do fine in garza's place (if not better).

That said, I'll be shocked if tampa can score enough to keep pace with the yanks and sox this year. Toronto could be the team to watch for in that division. I think they're still a year away, but they have some nice young players

haha, can't wait to see the yanks tee off on farnsworth.

Yeah, i actually read an article the other day that said the rays may be better off without Garza this year. Toronto will be good but I agree with you
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Is it just me who thinks Garza is VASTLY overrated?

he's erratic. good stuff but not much consistency.

shields is the guy on that team who sucks

can't wait for baseball. this is the worst time of year...january to opening day
    The Fixer wrote:

he's erratic. good stuff but not much consistency.

shields is the guy on that team who sucks

can't wait for baseball. this is the worst time of year...january to opening day

Fuckin' A. Especially with this snow. I wish I was getting down to Clearwater. Nothing like sitting in shitty weather Philly in the morning, then being at the beach bar at Frenchy's in the afternoon in 80 degree weather.
    Just read this. The Rays departing free agents have signed contracts worth a combined $213 mil. Damn
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Just read this. The Rays departing free agents have signed contracts worth a combined $213 mil. Damn

they have something ridiculous like 9 of the first 90 picks in what is supposed to be the most loaded draft of the last 20 years.

If they could get some people to attend their games maybe they could start keeping some of their players
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

they have something ridiculous like 9 of the first 90 picks in what is supposed to be the most loaded draft of the last 20 years.

If they could get some people to attend their games maybe they could start keeping some of their players

Yeah, they just got 2 more yesterday. They obviously draft well too.
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Will the Rays be willing to spend the money to sign all of them though? 9 of the top 90 picks is going to cost a bit in signing bonuses.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Will the Rays be willing to spend the money to sign all of them though? 9 of the top 90 picks is going to cost a bit in signing bonuses.

I'm sure they will. I'm assuming their payroll in 2011 will be significantly lower than 2010 since they lost crawford, garza, soriano, bartlett, and pena. They haven't signed any significant FAs, so I'm sure they have that surplus allocated into their draft budget.

The Rays are well run...they know what they're doing. They're the complete opposite of the cubs and mets
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

that stadium is atrocious. my giants almost ended up playing in that abortion. :shock:
    i've taken in a few games at the metrodome and there's no compelling reason to want to go to those places. are toronto and tampa the last surviving domes? :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    that stadium is atrocious. my giants almost ended up playing in that abortion. :shock:
    i've taken in a few games at the metrodome and there's no compelling reason to want to go to those places. are toronto and tampa the last surviving domes? :?

I went to Olympic Stadium in the last month of the Expos. So depressing. But the good thing was the "LARRY" chants could be heard way on the other side of the stadium (they were playing the Braves). :lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    So Tampa is going to have TEN draft picks before the second round starts. It's a shame they're in a lame ass city because that team is run so well.
    So Tampa is going to have TEN draft picks before the second round starts. It's a shame they're in a lame ass city because that team is run so well.

before we start crowning the Tampa front office as being so great, let's remember they just used the money they saved on garza on Kyle Fucking farnsworth.

They do obviously draft very well
  • Updated Jan 14, 2011 3:29 AM ET
    "Hard Knocks"— HBO's addictive show about life in the locker rooms of the NFL during preseason training — may try its hand at baseball, the New York Post reported Friday.

HOT STOVE

Showtime, HBO's major rival, is planning its own version of the sports series and is in talks with the San Francisco Giants to appear in the first one, according to reports.

The Giants won the World Series last year and are filled with the kind of eccentric characters — such as long-haired pitcher Tim Lincecum — who make these shows so watchable.

Entertainment Weekly reported that TV producer Mike Tollin — who produced the miniseries "The Bronx is Burning" for HBO several years ago — has been hired to make it.

The concept of the series — a fly-on-the-wall camera showing what goes on at highly successful sports teams during practice and off the field — has been a big hit for HBO.

Last month, the cable networks expanded the series to two hockey teams, The Washington Capitols and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

This would be awesome! :)
    imalive wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think so. Some new stadiums are retractable (Arizona, milwaukee). I'm glad...baseball was meant to be played outside. So was football...that league is a mess
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Updated Jan 14, 2011 3:29 AM ET
    "Hard Knocks"— HBO's addictive show about life in the locker rooms of the NFL during preseason training — may try its hand at baseball, the New York Post reported Friday.

HOT STOVE

Showtime, HBO's major rival, is planning its own version of the sports series and is in talks with the San Francisco Giants to appear in the first one, according to reports.

The Giants won the World Series last year and are filled with the kind of eccentric characters — such as long-haired pitcher Tim Lincecum — who make these shows so watchable.

Entertainment Weekly reported that TV producer Mike Tollin — who produced the miniseries "The Bronx is Burning" for HBO several years ago — has been hired to make it.

The concept of the series — a fly-on-the-wall camera showing what goes on at highly successful sports teams during practice and off the field — has been a big hit for HBO.

Last month, the cable networks expanded the series to two hockey teams, The Washington Capitols and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

for once i agree with you. this is an awesome idea. is that for this upcoming season?
    www.myspace.com
    MLB Productions are highly underrated and are just as much on par with NFL Films. MLB just doesn't promote themselves that well.
  • Didn't the Phils already have that program a few years ago about their bullpen? I enjoyed that show.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Updated Jan 14, 2011 3:29 AM ET

HOT STOVE

for once i agree with you. this is an awesome idea. is that for this upcoming season?

We agree on something? :) I don't believe it. I believe it would be for the upcoming year. I really enjoy the Hard Knocks seasons, but I'm wondering if they would have enough material for a baseball team. I guess with Wilson and Lincecum you can't go wrong!
    Didn't the Phils already have that program a few years ago about their bullpen? I enjoyed that show.

Yeah, 'The Pen'. I can't see how people would've liked it if they weren't a Phils fan though. I don't know, just didn't seem to have enough going on. And all the pitchers just didn't seem that interesting. Bucnha Jesus freaks...
  • Didn't the Phils already have that program a few years ago about their bullpen? I enjoyed that show.

Yeah, 'The Pen'. I can't see how people would've liked it if they weren't a Phils fan though. I don't know, just didn't seem to have enough going on. And all the pitchers just didn't seem that interesting. Bucnha Jesus freaks...
    I love the detailed struggle of fringe big league players. Kids that are one bad showing from going back to the farm. That element of baseball always intrigues me. These kids have to go through so much adversity just to have the chance to pitch in the majors.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Didn't the Phils already have that program a few years ago about their bullpen? I enjoyed that show.

I love the detailed struggle of fringe big league players. Kids that are one bad showing from going back to the farm. That element of baseball always intrigues me. These kids have to go through so much adversity just to have the chance to pitch in the majors.

Best baseball movie ever - Sugar.
  • Best baseball movie ever - Sugar.
    You got that right. Not everyone is a "bonus baby". It's a hard walk and that's just what these kids do. They walk. Hard.
    Best baseball movie ever - Sugar.
    You got that right. Not everyone is a "bonus baby". It's a hard walk and that's just what these kids do. They walk. Hard.

If boners last for more than 4 hours, call more ladies!
    Wow. Cody Ross better be thanking the Phils - he's getting 6.3 mil this season. That gonna be a big chunk of their change.
  • Wow. Cody Ross better be thanking the Phils - he's getting 6.3 mil this season. That gonna be a big chunk of their change.

Still for the Giants? Wow, it's a miracle that franchise won a championship. :roll:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Wow. Cody Ross better be thanking the Phils - he's getting 6.3 mil this season. That gonna be a big chunk of their change.

Still for the Giants? Wow, it's a miracle that franchise won a championship. :roll:

Yeah, arbitration.
  • Wow. Cody Ross better be thanking the Phils - he's getting 6.3 mil this season. That gonna be a big chunk of their change.

Yeah, arbitration.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm surprised they didn't give him a $70M contract.

Yeah, arbitration.

Ok, that makes sense. I'm surprised they didn't give him a $70M contract.

Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.