MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    polaris_x wrote:
    dude. dude.... he left 30 million dollars on the table to come to a team and a city he loves and knows has a chance to win. how is money the ultimate determining factor here? would you rather him left 90 million on the table?

parity...give me a break. every sport has parity except the nba. the rangers and giants just played in the world series. your blue jays won 2 titles back in the 90's. give it a rest man.

he left total dollars on the table but his deal is also for less years ... but yeah, he left money on the table to win ... which is partly my point ...

the fact remains that for your tier 1 free agents - there are only a handful of teams that can afford to sign them ... that is not the sign of parity ... at least in the nba ... if you clear cap room - you can sign free agents ...

again - the one thing going for the mlb is that there are some weak divisions with no big market teams so, there will always be a small-mid market team in the playoffs ...

you know that MLB teams receive draft pick compensation when they lose free agents right?

the salary thing is a weak excuse. teams with lower payrolls can compete if they are well run.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:
    higher payroll doesn't equate to success.

baseball has more parity than any of the major sports leagues. just look at the champions over the last 10-15 years.

no ... there are lots of other factors ...

parity is about distribution of talent ... if the top tier free agents are all going to the same few teams - how can one say baseball has the most parity ...

if baseball was split AL and NL where the top 4 teams in both leagues made the playoffs and everyone played each other the same amount of times ... we would see the same teams making the playoffs year in year out ...
    The Fixer wrote:
    you know that MLB teams receive draft pick compensation when they lose free agents right?

the salary thing is a weak excuse. teams with lower payrolls can compete if they are well run.

ya ... that's what AA is doing in toronto to try and compete ...

sure, teams with lower payrolls can compete but they have to scout well, draft well and play well ... whereas some teams just need money ...

what good is scouting, drafting a top talent only to have his peak years be spent with another team?
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    higher payroll doesn't equate to success.

baseball has more parity than any of the major sports leagues. just look at the champions over the last 10-15 years.

no ... there are lots of other factors ...

parity is about distribution of talent ... if the top tier free agents are all going to the same few teams - how can one say baseball has the most parity ...

if baseball was split AL and NL where the top 4 teams in both leagues made the playoffs and everyone played each other the same amount of times ... we would see the same teams making the playoffs year in year out ...

look at how many teams have made the playoffs over the last decade. not many have NOT made the playoffs.

DC, KC, pitt, tor, balt...I'm probably missing a couple, but you get my point...there aren't many
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

sure, teams with lower payrolls can compete but they have to scout well, draft well and play well ... whereas some teams just need money ...

what good is scouting, drafting a top talent only to have his peak years be spent with another team?

the 'small market' teams (not sure how toronto falls into that category with that metro areas population) do need to get somewhat more creative to sustain long term success. I will agree with you there.
  • polaris_x wrote:

The Jays were poorly run by JP Ricciardi for years. Same problem Phillies had when Ed Wade was here. It takes time to overcome a poor GM.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    ok ... it's hard going against 3 guys ... hahaha

i'll leave it at these two things which i've said repeatedly but no one has addressed:

1. there are weak divisions in baseball that get automatic playoff berths, so - you will see various teams make the playoffs ...
    2. parity is about distribution of talent ... if all the top tier free agents continue to go to the same teams - how is that parity?
    polaris_x wrote:

i'll leave it at these two things which i've said repeatedly but no one has addressed:

1. there are weak divisions in baseball that get automatic playoff berths, so - you will see various teams make the playoffs ...
    2. parity is about distribution of talent ... if all the top tier free agents continue to go to the same teams - how is that parity?

1. it's that way in every sport

2. the teams with the most talent don't always win. There was a stat this year about how the 1 seed in the NL playoffs hadn't won the pennant since the braves back in '95. If that's not the definition of parity then I don't know what is
  • polaris_x wrote:

Polaris, Let me help. Baseball is the have's and have not's and will be until they stop being afraid of the agents and big market teams and instill a salary cap. Bouncing Bud Selig out on his ass would help too.

You guys say parity exists and mention Rockies,Rays,Giants. Small market teams can win in this environment but their shelf life at the top is 2 years max maybe 3. After that the firesale begins and they start over. The Marlins have become great at this.
    The big market teams have no such shelf life and can stay on top for as long as they keep dishing out the big bucks which is always. When the yankees,mets,red sox don't win it's just because the gm has made poor signings or trades.
    Where was Carl Crawford rumored to go? the A's, Pirates,Brewers,Twins? Hell no, the same teams as always yankees,red sox,angels. just like Lee just like Werth etc.
    You mention Werth going to the Nationals and the only reason he went there is because the Nationals had to grossly overpay to get him. The only way a small market team can get someone.
    The fact is you'll be a good team as long as you have big pockets and a gm who knows which guy to spend his riches on. Many teams have no shot period.
    Do you think the yankees will trade texeira to the Indians at the deadline for a prospect? nope but i can see the Indians and others doing that for the Yanks.
    Baseball sucks right now. Parity my ass.
    polaris_x wrote:

Polaris, Let me help. Baseball is the have's and have not's and will be until they stop being afraid of the agents and big market teams and instill a salary cap. Bouncing Bud Selig out on his ass would help too.

You guys say parity exists and mention Rockies,Rays,Giants. Small market teams can win in this environment but their shelf life at the top is 2 years max maybe 3. After that the firesale begins and they start over. The Marlins have become great at this.
    The big market teams have no such shelf life and can stay on top for as long as they keep dishing out the big bucks which is always. When the yankees,mets,red sox don't win it's just because the gm has made poor signings or trades.
    Where was Carl Crawford rumored to go? the A's, Pirates,Brewers,Twins? Hell no, the same teams as always yankees,red sox,angels. just like Lee just like Werth etc.
    You mention Werth going to the Nationals and the only reason he went there is because the Nationals had to grossly overpay to get him. The only way a small market team can get someone.
    The fact is you'll be a good team as long as you have big pockets and a gm who knows which guy to spend his riches on. Many teams have no shot period.
    Do you think the yankees will trade texeira to the Indians at the deadline for a prospect? nope but i can see the Indians and others doing that for the Yanks.

so signing top free agents means those teams will have success? I gotta disagree there. I don't think the Nats make the playoffs even though they signed jayson werth.

The Marlins have won the world series twice in the last 15 years. That proves that teams with small payrolls can compete if they are run properly.

The payroll excuse is weak as hell...just look at the champion giants payroll this past year. bottom half of MLB
  • The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

so signing top free agents means those teams will have success? I gotta disagree there. I don't think the Nats make the playoffs even though they signed jayson werth.

The Marlins have won the world series twice in the last 15 years. That proves that teams with small payrolls can compete if they are run properly.

The payroll excuse is weak as hell...just look at the champion giants payroll this past year. bottom half of MLB

The Nats will be good in 2 or 3 years i think. Some good young talent coming up. But then Strasburg will have to go and so on and so on...
    Payroll doesn't mean everything. You can win with a small market team you just have to draft well which the giants did with Lincecum,Cain,Sandoval. And Make good pickups like Sanchez and Ross. Getting hot at the right time helps.
    A big market team doesn't have to worry about drafting as well because any holes can be filled in free agency whereas the lesser teams pick through the scraps.
    A small market team can win if run properly. But as i said before your window of oppurtunity is very small as opposed to the big boys.
    Parity is if every team had the same chance. MLB is not the case.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    It's funny how this argument of 'there's no parity in baseball' even though the numbers prove differently. And numbers do not lie. I have exhausted this argument so many times I'm not getting into it.

The Nats will be good in 2 or 3 years i think. Some good young talent coming up. But then Strasburg will have to go and so on and so on...
    Payroll doesn't mean everything. You can win with a small market team you just have to draft well which the giants did with Lincecum,Cain,Sandoval. And Make good pickups like Sanchez and Ross. Getting hot at the right time helps.
    A big market team doesn't have to worry about drafting as well because any holes can be filled in free agency whereas the lesser teams pick through the scraps.
    A small market team can win if run properly. But as i said before your window of oppurtunity is very small as opposed to the big boys.

the nats have one of the richest owners in baseball. Lerner is worth 4 billion+

if there is no parity in baseball then how do you explain having so many different teams make the playoffs and win the WS in the past 15 years?
  • It's funny how this argument of 'there's no parity in baseball' even though the numbers prove differently. And numbers do not lie. I have exhausted this argument so many times I'm not getting into it.

So the Pirates have as much of a chance as the Yankees? The Brewers can compete with the Red Sox? and i'm talking every year, not just a little 3 year run of greatness and then back to square one.
    It's funny how this argument of 'there's no parity in baseball' even though the numbers prove differently. And numbers do not lie. I have exhausted this argument so many times I'm not getting into it.

So the Pirates have as much of a chance as the Yankees? The Brewers can compete with the Red Sox? and i'm talking every year, not just a little 3 year run of greatness and then back to square one.

success in all sports is cyclical. you're telling me the bills have the same chance to win as the pats?
  • The Fixer wrote:

the nats have one of the richest owners in baseball. Lerner is worth 4 billion+

if there is no parity in baseball then how do you explain having so many different teams make the playoffs and win the WS in the past 15 years?

Those teams drafted well. But how long is their run of excellance?
    The Yankees will never be bad because they can sign free agents(as long as they don't spit on their wives)
    The royals don't have that opportunity.
    And i like that you mentioned that the Nats owner is a billionaire. That is a problem too. Cheap owners. The salary cap eliminates all this. Why is a salary cap so bad?
  • I can't wait until the Yankees get Greinke and he pulls a Richie Tenenbaum on the mound at Yankee Stadium.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The Fixer wrote:

success in all sports is cyclical. you're telling me the bills have the same chance to win as the pats?

Technically, yes. The Bills could be good in 2 years i'd say. The Pats are so great because Brady is a once in a lifetime talent. But in the NFL if you suck it's because you can't draft not because you don't have the cash to keep everybody.
    The Fixer wrote:

Technically, yes. The Bills could be good in 2 years i'd say. The Pats are so great because Brady is a once in a lifetime talent. But in the NFL if you suck it's because you can't draft not because you don't have the cash to keep everybody.

we're going in circles here. there is more parity in MLB than any other sport. people see the high payroll of some teams and assume those teams are more successful, which isn't the case.

success in the NFL and MLB is all related to how teams are run. Draft, FA signings, etc. The leagues have different dynamics based on payroll restictions, but if you look at number of playoff teams and number of league champions, you will find that MLB has more parity.

so I guess it boils down to whether you want to focus on the facts (evidenced by playoff teams and number of champions) or how teams spend (which is mostly irrelevant to success). your choice
  • We are going in circles here but i just can't see your parity argument. A salary cap is badly needed in baseball. You say tomato I say tomahto.
    Me personally i'll follow the NHL and NFL but it is irritating to me because Baseball used to be my favorite.
    Anyways nice to have a good sports talk with ya, agree or disagree.

Agreed. That's what's best about sports...no one is ever gonna agree about everything. I love debating stuff like this.
  • We are going in circles here but i just can't see your parity argument. A salary cap is badly needed in baseball. You say tomato I say tomahto.
    Me personally i'll follow the NHL and NFL but it is irritating to me because Baseball used to be my favorite.

Did you enjoy following the NHL before it had a cap? The Flyers and Rangers outspent almost everyone, and the Flyers still don't have a cup since 1975 while the Rangers repeatedly missed the playoffs. Now there's a cap and the Flyers are still competitive every year. Why? Because they are a well run team with a solid fan base.

Meanwhile, the Rays are well-run but have a terrible fan base, while Mets (have been) poorly run with a huge fan base. Neither of those is a recipe for long-term success, cap or no cap.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    Breaking news:

MLB Commissioner Bud "Light" Selig announced today the cancellation of the 2011 World Series. "We'll just give the trophy to the Phillies and save everyone else the trouble," Bud said. Mr. Selig added, "We'll continue to talk about competitive balance, even though no one really believes it exists."
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • imalive wrote:
    Breaking news:

MLB Commissioner Bud "Light" Selig announced today the cancellation of the 2011 World Series. "We'll just give the trophy to the Phillies and save everyone else the trouble," Bud said. Mr. Selig added, "We'll continue to talk about competitive balance, even though no one really believes it exists."

No no, they are just cancelling the regular season and first 2 rounds of the playoffs, and having a Phillies vs. Red Sox World Series. :lol:

If the Phils score 2 runs a game again this year, it won't matter if Walter Johnson is pitching.

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    imalive wrote:
    Breaking news:

You guys take that banner down yet? :mrgreen:
  • imalive wrote:
    Breaking news:

Did they find cork in Cody Ross' bat yet? haha :P

imalive wrote:
    Breaking news:

no fucking way!!! it's ours for a year. I hear we may be re-signing Renteria! :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527

and the guy making the argument is a huge fan of the nba....which apparently despises parity more than cliff lee's wife despises the city of new york.

see what i did there?

HEY. OH.
    www.myspace.com
    grudgingly, I say more power to the phils. when you sell every fucking game of your season at 103.5% of capacity :shock: , you deserve a winner. their fans are apparently not only willing to buy every over priced seat, they're willing to STAND while they drink their $8 ($10?) beers. Meanwhile, you have the Reds making their first playoff push in 15 years and they sell 60% of their tickets. same with the padres. fuck 'em. support your team; line your owner's wallet and maybe they'll get you some players.

look at the top of this list. ALL competitive (except for the cubs :lol: )

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance/_/sort/homePct

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14