MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Reynolds to baltimore. Will be interesting to see if they land konerko.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    The Fixer wrote:
    Reynolds to baltimore. Will be interesting to see if they land konerko.

So many strikeouts.
    Boston going after Willingham.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm not a reynolds fan either. Who played 3B for them last year, mora? gotta figure reynolds is an upgrade.

I want the phils to go after willingham. He'd be perfect for them
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    greinke has waived his no-trade clause for anyone ... he's definitely getting dealt somewhere ...
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm not a reynolds fan either. Who played 3B for them last year, mora? gotta figure reynolds is an upgrade.

I want the phils to go after willingham. He'd be perfect for them

Yeah, definitely an upgrade and definitely brings a bit of pop just does not scare me with 200+ k's every year.

Yeah,I hear you. A lot of teams are going to be interested in him.

Heyman is saying the Adrian Gonzalez extension is going to be 7 years, $154. Ryan Howard......
  • Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Heyman is saying the Adrian Gonzalez extension is going to be 7 years, $154. Ryan Howard......
    So much for the "no more than 5 years" rule.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Nah...Gonzalez does much more than howard. He is great in the field, and he hits for both average and power. His numbers will be sick playing 81 a year in fenway (9 at yankee stadium won't hurt either).

Howard only hits HRs. period. when he isn't doing that he's a detriment. luckily he's only locked up for 6 more years. sigh
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    So much for the "no more than 5 years" rule.

Dude is not even 30, no way he takes less than 7. Will be worth it too.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Nah...Gonzalez does much more than howard. He is great in the field, and he hits for both average and power. His numbers will be sick playing 81 a year in fenway (9 at yankee stadium won't hurt either).

Howard only hits HRs. period. when he isn't doing that he's a detriment. luckily he's only locked up for 6 more years. sigh

I agree, I was just pointing out that a younger, better player at the same position will be making less annually
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I agree, I was just pointing out that a younger, better player at the same position will be making less annually

oh shit, didn't realize that. thanks for making me hate howard's contract even more, which I didn't think was possible.

what. the. fuck.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    polaris_x wrote:
    greinke has waived his no-trade clause for anyone ... he's definitely getting dealt somewhere ...
    ohhh what i wouldn't give to get greinke

i'd gladly give up reyes and buncha prospects for him. hell throw in that bum beltran.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

i'd gladly give up reyes and buncha prospects for him. hell throw in that bum beltran.

just read that the mets are shopping all of their guys...beltran, wright, reyes are all available.

Texas is setting themselves up for a huge letdown. Lee is using them like a $10 hooker
    The Fixer wrote:

just read that the mets are shopping all of their guys...beltran, wright, reyes are all available.

Texas is setting themselves up for a huge letdown. Lee is using them like a $10 hooker
    bout 2-3 years late but better late then never. to me reyes is the only one of value outta that group. wright is a player that's dime a dozen. if wright would stop oh laying the ball and doing that glove tap before throwing the ball, he' be a better defensive play. to me he's another hojo.

if texas were smart they'd go after greinke. i'm sure texas has got the prospects for a deal.

metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

bout 2-3 years late but better late then never. to me reyes is the only one of value outta that group. wright is a player that's dime a dozen. if wright would stop oh laying the ball and doing that glove tap before throwing the ball, he' be a better defensive play. to me he's another hojo.

if texas were smart they'd go after greinke. i'm sure texas has got the prospects for a deal.

I agree about texas going after greinke. their farm system is loaded...they definitely have the prospects to make that happen.

Hojo...haha
    The Fixer wrote:

I agree about texas going after greinke. their farm system is loaded...they definitely have the prospects to make that happen.

Hojo...haha
    i cant see texas given up more prospects that are major league ready and basically have their farm system dry. for texas the risk isn't worth it to them.

what's so funny bout the hojo comparison

edited December 2010
    metsfan wrote:

don't think KC would want any established stars with big contracts ... also, i hear greinke does not want to play in a big market like NY or Boston ...

edit: i also think he's the best pitcher available in the market either via trade or FA ... Lee is good but I think Greinke is better ...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    olney is saying the nationals are laying in the weeds and might make a big push for young clifford...
    www.myspace.com
    polaris_x wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

don't think KC would want any established stars with big contracts ... also, i hear greinke does not want to play in a big market like NY or Boston ...

did you also hear that roy oswalt didn't want to play in philadelphia?
    www.myspace.com

well ... greinke has social anxiety disorder ... i can see how being in a big market team would potentially be a concern ...
    polaris_x wrote:

well ... greinke has social anxiety disorder ... i can see how being in a big market team would potentially be a concern ...

really? didn't know that.

pop some paxils and he'll be fine. :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com

yeah ... had to leave the game for a period of time ... old article ... but you can search and see a bunch of pieces on his depression ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html
    polaris_x wrote:

yeah ... had to leave the game for a period of time ... old article ... but you can search and see a bunch of pieces on his depression ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

polaris, here's keith law's take on the marcum/lawrie deal.

Milwaukee upgrades with Marcum
    December, 6, 2010Dec 65:05PM ETEmail Print Comments9 By Keith LawThe Brewers have desperately needed a second quality starter to go with Yovani Gallardo since CC Sabathia left as a free agent, and after overpaying for Randy Wolf last winter (and receiving bulk innings but disappointing results), they still were left with only two starters comfortably above replacement level for 2011. Shaun Marcum not only gives them a third, but adds another No. 2-level starter to their rotation, putting them at least closer to respectability in 2011.

Getty Images
    Shaun Marcum, at his best, is as good as Milwaukee has.

In his first year back from Tommy John surgery, Marcum set a career high in innings and dropped his walk rate. He'll throw four pitches with a fringe-average fastball that touches 90 mph, a cutter and a curve, but he has an out-pitch changeup that's among the best right-handed changes in the game. That pitch led to left-handed hitters hitting just .190/.233/.299 (batting average/on-base percentage/slugging percentage) off Marcum in 2010 and .228/.291/.382 off him over his past three years. Despite the fringe velocity, he succeeds by changing speeds and throwing a ton of strikes, and he's a smart and very aggressive pitcher who always made me think (when I was still with Toronto) that he wanted to take the hitter's head off. I wouldn't be shocked to see him pick up another mile an hour or so as he gets stronger post-surgery, but even as he is now, I think he'll be the best or second-best starter in Milwaukee's rotation and, given whom he's replacing, worth at least three extra wins to the Brewers this year and in 2012 before he hits free agency.

That said, it does raise the question of what those three or even four extra wins mean for the Brewers, who still have two open rotation spots, a soft middle relief corps and an offense that probably will be a little worse in 2011 than it was in 2010. They can fix the middle relief by plugging in some of their hard-throwing prospects like Jeremy Jeffress, but they're at least one starter short of contention in a division in which Cincinnati and St. Louis still are clearly better on paper.

The Blue Jays get Brett Lawrie, owner of one of the best right-handed swings in the minors but a man with more makeup questions than he has defensive value. At the plate, he has a very good feel for the bat, gets good hip rotation and projects to hit for above-average power, although his power output has been limited, as the Brewers moved him aggressively to Double-A at age 20. His plate discipline is solid, and I expect him to get on base down the road as well. He's also an above-average runner, but that foot speed hasn't translated to even average defense at second base, and at this point he seems ticketed for an outfield corner. The Brewers had really soured on Lawrie this year because of his work ethic (or lack thereof), effort in the field and refusal to play in the Arizona Fall League again. But Lawrie wouldn't exactly be the first immature 20-year-old in the world, and there's a lot of offensive potential to overlook here. It might just be a situation of one organization getting tired of dealing with a prospect who can accelerate his development by leaving a situation in which he wasn't happy.

The Blue Jays reportedly are still in on Zack Greinke, but if they don't land him, they can roll out a solid rotation with Ricky Romero, Brandon Morrow, Brett Cecil and rookie Kyle Drabek, with another prospect, Zach Stewart, likely joining the rotation at some point later in the year. The drop-off from Marcum to his likely replacements is a couple of wins in the short term, but they'll need those innings open for Drabek and Stewart to develop by 2012 anyway, and they've landed a potential long-term bat in the exchange.
    olney is saying the nationals are laying in the weeds and might make a big push for young clifford...

carlos pena as well.

just read this, which I did not know.

Quick perspective on Buster's note regarding a potential "HUGE" offer for Lee from the Nationals. Remember, Ted Lerner (Nats principal) is worth north of $3.5 billion. To compare, Mark Cuban is worth a billion dollars less.
    thanks fixer ... ya - i would put marcum as a solid number 2 starter ... when you're dealing for prospects, its always on upside ... what i found interesting is the comment on work ethic because he has been playing for team canada and apparently the buzz is how hard he works ... this is from our local paper ...

“The package, the upside, the ceiling he has is potentially as a five-tool player,” Anthopoulos waxed. “He can run, he can throw. A lot of the scouts that have seen him talked about him playing the game harder than most players that they’ve ever seen. How intense he is on the field and he’s all about winning. You look at his age as a 20-year-old, how fast he’s moved through the minor leagues and what a great competitor he is, that’s certainly appealing, especially fitting into the young core of players that we have. From a position player standpoint we’re a little light and need to augment that, add to that.”

AA is also banking on a solid full year from brendan morrow who at times looked spectacular last year ... and it was based on becoming a better pitcher ... ie sacrificing velocity for location ... hopefully, shutting him down late last year will pay dividends this year ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    thanks fixer ... ya - i would put marcum as a solid number 2 starter ... when you're dealing for prospects, its always on upside ... what i found interesting is the comment on work ethic because he has been playing for team canada and apparently the buzz is how hard he works ... this is from our local paper ...

“The package, the upside, the ceiling he has is potentially as a five-tool player,” Anthopoulos waxed. “He can run, he can throw. A lot of the scouts that have seen him talked about him playing the game harder than most players that they’ve ever seen. How intense he is on the field and he’s all about winning. You look at his age as a 20-year-old, how fast he’s moved through the minor leagues and what a great competitor he is, that’s certainly appealing, especially fitting into the young core of players that we have. From a position player standpoint we’re a little light and need to augment that, add to that.”

AA is also banking on a solid full year from brendan morrow who at times looked spectacular last year ... and it was based on becoming a better pitcher ... ie sacrificing velocity for location ... hopefully, shutting him down late last year will pay dividends this year ...

no problem.

morrow is a beast. that dude throws fire.

everything I've read about lawrie is that he's immature and brutal in the field. Buster olney had something in his blog today too. I'm paraphrasing, but it was along the lines of 'milwaukee got tired of dealing with lawrie's poor attitude, so they shipped him.'

He's still only 20...plenty of time for him to straighten himself out. just needs a position
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    polaris_x wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

edit: i also think he's the best pitcher available in the market either via trade or FA ... Lee is good but I think Greinke is better ...

I thought I already read that Grienke would waive the no-trade to any winner - even the big markets. And then I read that he would drop his no-trade completely to go anywhere.
    I thought I already read that Grienke would waive the no-trade to any winner - even the big markets. And then I read that he would drop his no-trade completely to go anywhere.

yeah ... just found this ... http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=j ... tove113010

it's possible that his agent put the most likely bidders for his services on the list for leverage in contract negotiations ... this list would typically be big market teams ...

if there is a bidding war - i suspect the jays would be out of the running ...
    Not sure if you guys read this site, but it is fantastic. They are usually the first to break stories and there is info pulled from local and national sources. I check this multiple times a day.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
  • polaris_x wrote:

yeah ... just found this ... http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=j ... tove113010

it's possible that his agent put the most likely bidders for his services on the list for leverage in contract negotiations ... this list would typically be big market teams ...

if there is a bidding war - i suspect the jays would be out of the running ...
    Imagine if the OTPP accepted Rogers' offer to buy their shares in MLSE. The Blue Jay's would probably become an afterthought and get no money thrown their way.