• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Um, werth is close to a deal wth the nationals

done deal

7 years. What the fuck?!?

gotta love having rizzo in the division. hahaha
    the adrian gonzalez trade has been voided. crazy day...should be an interesting week with the winter meetings
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    The Fixer wrote:

7 years, $126 mil. Please explain why they didn't resign Dunn and did this.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I would have a hard time giving any player 7 years...especially someone that's already 30.

Phils won't get the Nats 1st round pick since it's protected. That fucking blows
    The Fixer wrote:
    the adrian gonzalez trade has been voided. crazy day...should be an interesting week with the winter meetings

Yeah, I am reading the Gonzalez is deal is not completely dead though. Interesting day. Bad day for the Red Sox. They should just pay Gonzalez.
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I would have a hard time giving any player 7 years...especially someone that's already 30.

Phils won't get the Nats 1st round pick since it's protected. That fucking blows

Yeah, 7 years is a lot. If I were Boston I would give Agon 7 though, assuming his shoulder is good.

Do they get a supplemental pick?
    There is just no getting around it. This is an absolutely horrible contract for a team that is not going to be competitive until Werths productive years are behind him.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

pretty sure they get a supplemental pick and the nats 2nd rounder. I'm not 100% sure about the 2nd rounder

EDIT: I'd pay gonzalez too if I were boston. I think he's one of the most underrated players in baseball. He will put up monster numbers in Fenway
    I guess this isn't the end of the world. The Phils should have 4 of the top 50 picks in what is supposed to be a loaded 2011 draft.

The Nationals have the sixth pick in the draft and the top 15 picks are protected by Major League Baseball from being moved as compensation. That means the Phillies will receive a second-round pick from Washington along with a compensatory pick in the sandwich round.
    edited December 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

pretty sure they get a supplemental pick and the nats 2nd rounder. I'm not 100% sure about the 2nd rounder

EDIT: I'd pay gonzalez too if I were boston. I think he's one of the most underrated players in baseball. He will put up monster numbers in Fenway

Unreal that they let this deal get this far and let it slip through because he is asking for Teixiera money. Of course he is asking for Teixiera money. I can't understand how Theo is letting this happen again. Another PR nightmare. 24 hours ago Boston fans were hoping for a lineup that included Werth/Agon and now what? If they won't pay Gonzalez this there is no way they match whatever the Angels are going to offer Crawford. So now overpay for Beltre? They have to get the Agon deal done, I don't think they have any other option. Edit: I guess they can always wait until next year for Gonzalez but who knows what the situation will be then.

And to add salt to the wounds the Yanks have a great shot at signing Cliff Lee this week. This is fantastic.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    The Fixer wrote:
    I guess this isn't the end of the world. The Phils should have 4 of the top 50 picks in what is supposed to be a loaded 2011 draft.

The Nationals have the sixth pick in the draft and the top 15 picks are protected by Major League Baseball from being moved as compensation. That means the Phillies will receive a second-round pick from Washington along with a compensatory pick in the sandwich round.

Not bad, although I am sure they were hoping/expecting a first rounder.
    Boston got him. Figured they had to get it done, especially with Werth off the board.
    This is great. On Werth:

“It makes some of our contracts look pretty good,” Sandy Alderson
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is great. On Werth:

So the laughing stock of the NL East is calling another team the laughing stock of the NL East?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is great. On Werth:

So the laughing stock of the NL East is calling another team the laughing stock of the NL East?

Well in all fairness, it's not his fault the Mets are the laughing stock of the division.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is great. On Werth:

Well in all fairness, it's not his fault the Mets are the laughing stock of the division.

This is true. But I have a feeling it's a disease that you can catch by breathing in the air.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    so i guess crawford's gonna get 8 years? jeez...
    www.myspace.com
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i like what anthopolous is doing here in toronto ... he's trading for young guys or guys with a reasonable contract ... doesn't mind getting guys that are going to be impending FA because he can use the compensatory draft picks ...

i like this marcum for lawrie deal if it goes thru ...
    Another year and Marvin Miller is still not in the hall of fame. What a joke. Marvin Miller has had 8457348957348957344534534798 times the impact on the game than Pat Gillick did.
    polaris_x wrote:
    i like what anthopolous is doing here in toronto ... he's trading for young guys or guys with a reasonable contract ... doesn't mind getting guys that are going to be impending FA because he can use the compensatory draft picks ...

I gotta disagree. why trade marcum? pitching is what wins...especially in that division. The only way this deal makes sense for the jays is there are truth to the rumors that they are making a push for greinke

starting pitchers with marcum's stuff don't grow on trees

EDIT: another thing is where do they plan on putting lawrie? they already have their MI spots occupied by hill and escobar. I liked the escobar trade a lot for the jays...the marcum move, not so much
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    This is great. On Werth:

Haha. I love reading the analysis/comments when a team makes a boneheaded move like this werth contract (except when ruben amaro jr is the butt of the jokes -- see howard, ibanez, polanco deals).

here's keith law's take...funny stuff

Jayson Werth's deal looks like panic move
    December, 6, 2010Dec 67:00AM ETEmail Print Comments38 By Keith LawGiving a 32-year-old position player who has qualified for the batting title exactly twice in his major league career a guaranteed seven-year deal for over $100 million isn't just a bad move.

Getty Images
    Two good years wasn't enough to justify seven more well-paid ones.

It's irresponsible.

Jayson Werth has been, for two years, an All-Star-caliber player -- one of the top 25 to 30 players in the National League when you consider offense, position, baserunning and defense -- and he was highly coveted in the free-agent market this offseason. He hits for power, works the count well and gets on base, plays good right-field defense with an above-average arm and adds value with smart baserunning.

However, he's a massive risk for a deal anywhere close to this length, given his age, injury history and the boost he received over the past two years from his home park in Philadelphia -- not to mention the combination fluke of a contract year in 2010 and a reverse platoon split he's not likely to maintain.

Corner players at age 32 are most likely at the beginning of their decline phases even if they don't have Werth's tenure on the disabled list; the Nationals appear to have bought themselves all of Werth's decline phase with an option on his post-decline phase (sometimes known as "release waivers") should it arrive a little earlier. There are no guarantees when it comes to player health, but I like playing the odds, and a player who's been hurt as often as Werth has and who has missed as much time as Werth has is likely to get hurt and miss time as he approaches the age when even normally healthy players tend to get hurt and miss time. Predicting health and performance for any player six or seven years out is difficult, but the indicators on Werth all say that you don't want to lock him up for that many years into his late 30s.

A player who's been hurt as often as Werth has and who has missed as much time as Werth has is likely to get hurt and miss time as he approaches the age when even normally healthy players tend to get hurt and miss time.

The odd thing is that the Nationals actually received solid production from right field in 2010, particularly from the two players, Roger Bernadina and Michael Morse, who played it most often. Neither player was likely to repeat his 2010 performance, however, and it made sense for the Nationals to look to upgrade the position. This price is excessive, and the fact that it matches two of the worst and most ill-conceived contracts handed out in the past twenty years -- Barry Zito's and Vernon Wells' -- is a harbinger for the Nationals' future with Werth. They'll be lucky if they reach 2015 without looking for an escape hatch.

My guess? Washington ownership, wildly unpopular in the city, panicked when they looked at 2011 without Stephen Strasburg or any hope of 80 wins, so they told GM Mike Rizzo to go get a player (or two or three) he really liked in the free-agent market, whatever the cost. There's no other logical explanation for outbidding one's opponents by that much in years and dollars.

The 'overpay' argument

You may hear that the Nationals "had to overpay" for Werth to get him to come to a team that hasn't been a winner. This is complete nonsense, perpetrated by agents to get more for their clients and by team executives to justify bad financial decisions. Free agents go to the highest bidder; if a losing team wants to sign a free agent, they simply have to offer more (factoring in taxes) than any other team is offering. Players like taking the most money. Agents encourage players to take the most money because it maximizes their commissions. The union encourages players to take the most money because it tends to pull up other players' salaries.

The reason losing teams often miss out on premium free agents is that they don't bid enough, because their current revenue streams don't justify higher bids, or because they are not close enough to contention to merit increasing a bid in the hopes of boosting revenues for the coming year. Very, very few take pay cuts to go to contenders or major markets -- and besides, the last time I checked, Washington, D.C. was the ninth-largest media market in the United States, according to Arbitron, so let's stop pretending that the Nationals play in Podunk even if ownership sometimes acts like they do. Every offseason, we hear some losing team say they "had to overpay" to sign a free agent. We rarely hear some winning team come to the podium and say they got themselves a bargain because a top-tier free agent signed with them for 20 percent less than anyone else offered.

And it's worth noting that if you as a GM or owner feel the market is forcing you to "overpay" for a free agent because your team isn't good, maybe you should improve your team first through the draft (where, I should point out, the Nationals spent money and added a lot of talent in 2010) and wait for that supposed free-agent premium to disappear. That is, if free agents don't want to come to your team because your team stinks, the first solution is to make your team better. Signing one premium free agent isn't the way to do it, because even if Werth matches what he did in 2010 -- away from Citizens Bank Park and no longer in a contract year -- by himself he won't turn the Nationals into more than a 74-win team.
    The Fixer wrote:
    I gotta disagree. why trade marcum? pitching is what wins...especially in that division. The only way this deal makes sense for the jays is there are truth to the rumors that they are making a push for greinke

EDIT: another thing is where do they plan on putting lawrie? they already have their MI spots occupied by hill and escobar. I liked the escobar trade a lot for the jays...the marcum move, not so much

marcum is approaching 30 years old and is essentially a change up pitcher ... his era at mid 3's isn't spectacular for an ace and he's got a history of injury ... they are gonna move hill to 3rd base ... his defence was average at best at 2nd ...

pitching definitely wins in this talent-depleted league but i think this is a great sell-high situation ...
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Jays are going after Greinke. No doubt about it.
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

marcum is approaching 30 years old and is essentially a change up pitcher ... his era at mid 3's isn't spectacular for an ace and he's got a history of injury ... they are gonna move hill to 3rd base ... his defence was average at best at 2nd ...

pitching definitely wins in this talent-depleted league but i think this is a great sell-high situation ...

an ERA in the mid 3's in the AL east is pretty fucking good. seriously, how many pitchers pulled that off last year??

lawrie is apparently a butcher in the field too from what I've read in baseball america and other places
    The Fixer wrote:
    an ERA in the mid 3's in the AL east is pretty fucking good. seriously, how many pitchers pulled that off last year??

lawrie is apparently a butcher in the field too from what I've read in baseball america and other places

according to the link below ... about 14 pitchers ... yeah, his numbers are gonna be a bit high pitching in the AL East and the skydome (rogers centre) is fairly hitter friendly ... but i still think he's hit his ceiling ... and it's a good sell-high ...

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/stats/2010?posi ... &league=AL

to be honest ... i don't know much about lawrie but i've like every move anthopolous has made in the year or so he's taken the reins ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

according to the link below ... about 14 pitchers ... yeah, his numbers are gonna be a bit high pitching in the AL East and the skydome (rogers centre) is fairly hitter friendly ... but i still think he's hit his ceiling ... and it's a good sell-high ...

to be honest ... i don't know much about lawrie but i've like every move anthopolous has made in the year or so he's taken the reins ...

I think A.A. has done a good job there too. Looks like we disagree on his last trade, but at least he has a method to his madness. The O's and Jays both look like they should be improved this season. That division is ridiculous

EDIT: per your link I only counted 8 starting pitchers in the AL East that had ERAs under 4 (marcum was one of them).
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I think A.A. has done a good job there too. Looks like we disagree on his last trade, but at least he has a method to his madness. The O's and Jays both look like they should be improved this season. That division is ridiculous

EDIT: per your link I only counted 8 starting pitchers in the AL East that had ERAs under 4 (marcum was one of them).

People are already starting to say the AL East in 2011 could be one of the best divisions ever. Imagine if Greinke lands in Toronto, Lee lands in NY and Boston gets another bat. Fuck!!!!
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

People are already starting to say the AL East in 2011 could be one of the best divisions ever. Imagine if Greinke lands in Toronto, Lee lands in NY and Boston gets another bat. Fuck!!!!

Holy shit. Thank god the Phils are in the NL :D
    The Fixer wrote:

sorry ... i thought you meant the AL ...

i like his strategy of stockpiling draft picks, building up the farm system and not burdening ourselves with anymore brutal contracts (v-dub) ... i'm glad we aren't chasing after the marquee free agents and paying these ridiculous salaries ...