MLB 2024 Post-Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited November 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Does $12 mil a year for Victor Martinez seem a little low? 5 years is probably too much but if a hitter like Huff gets $11 shouldn't Martinez get more?

Me and my buddies were talking about the same thing the other night. Ryan howard is now annually making more than twice as much as martinez. god, howard's contract is the WORST THING EVER
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    The Fixer wrote:
    FF, I know you mentioned 2 first round picks if beltre leaves. that's not necessarily the case. Here's an article that breaks down how FA compensation works. it's kind of phillies centric, but it breaks down the complicated process pretty well.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phil ... ation.html
    Interesting. Thanks for the clarification, Fixer. I always wondered what that supplemental round was for.

The compensation for a "Type A" player who signs elsewhere as a free agent is two draft picks. One pick is in the supplemental round, which falls between the first and second round. The other pick is the highest unprotected selection of the team that signs the Type A free agent. The top 15 picks in the first round of the draft are protected. Because of compensation picks for the Diamondbacks, Padres and Brewers in this year's first round, the top 18 picks are actually protected. If a team with a protected first round pick signed Werth, the Phillies would receive that team's second-round pick.

And my 2cents on Werth is the Phillies are better off in the long run without him.

no problem. baseball has some crazy rules. I think I've read the article I linked about 15 times :D

Agree about werth long term. the phils problem is that they don't seem to have much of a contingency plan. we'll see what they end up doing...not many appealing OF options on the FA market this year
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Does $12 mil a year for Victor Martinez seem a little low? 5 years is probably too much but if a hitter like Huff gets $11 shouldn't Martinez get more?

Me and my buddies were talking about the same thing the other night. Ryan howard is now annually making more than twice as much as martinez. god, howard's contract is the WORST THING EVER
    What about Vernon Wells' Contract? I'd say that's worse than Howards.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,928
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    cashman (paraphrasing) - "if Derek can find anything better, he should pursue it" :lol::lol::lol:

almost as funny as the buck/huff extensions

$22 MILLIONS FOR HUFF?!?!?!?!
    not a huge sabean fan......but he doesn't always "overpay stiffs"

these guys, he let go in the nick of time: matt williams, jason schmidt ( 3 wins, $47M for the dodgers :lol::lol: ) , will clark and (to a lesser extent) jeff dickhead kent.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Not gonna happen and yes, it would be the end of the world. haha.
    Other than Davids Cone and Wells, nobody's ever really switched from the Yanks to the Sox, but many have gone the other way. How devastating would that be for Yankees fans if their beloved captain played in Fenway? I'm giddy just thinking about it, even though Jeter is clearly not the same Jeter as a few years ago.

Wishful thinking and we know it'll NEVER ever happen. Even iIF the Sox could get him for $5 mil a year they wouldn't do it, he has to go elsewhere if he's NOT with the Yanks.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

supposedly, sabean matched another team's offer to huff:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs ... report.com

some of the guesses are intriguing....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    imalive wrote:
    supposedly, sabean matched another team's offer to huff:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs ... report.com

some of the guesses are intriguing....

huff was great in seinfeld:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuYMYb9d ... re=related

gimmie a schtickle of flouride
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

What about Vernon Wells' Contract? I'd say that's worse than Howards.

I wouldn't. at least wells has some decent defensive value and plays a premium defensive position.
    imalive wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

almost as funny as the buck/huff extensions

$22 MILLIONS FOR HUFF?!?!?!?!
    not a huge sabean fan......but he doesn't always "overpay stiffs"

these guys, he let go in the nick of time: matt williams, jason schmidt ( 3 wins, $47M for the dodgers :lol::lol: ) , will clark and (to a lesser extent) jeff dickhead kent.

aaron rowand, aubrey huff, barry zito (not sure if he signed that deal or not). huff's extension is horrible and it's only the 3rd worst contract on the current roster. Can't wait to see what he gives cody ross
    The Fixer wrote:

aaron rowand, aubrey huff, barry zito (not sure if he signed that deal or not). huff's extension is horrible and it's only the 3rd worst contract on the current roster. Can't wait to see what he gives cody ross
    yet somehow the Giants are the 2010 World Champions!!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,723
    Javy Vazquez to the Marlins. I bet he has a much better year, if he get some velocity on his fastball.

Yanks get a sandwich pick due to their arbitration gentlemans agreement.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Javy Vazquez to the Marlins. I bet he has a much better year, if he get some velocity on his fastball.

it's every other year with vazquez for some reason...
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

it's every other year with vazquez for some reason...

he'll do well in the NL. He sucks in the AL because it's a better league. and he just can't pitch in NYC

nice pickup for the marlins. doesn't make up for that buck contract though
    Tulo getting 10 years?!?!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

from buster olney - Value of Tulo's deal for next 10 years is $157.75 million guaranteed

:shock:
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

from buster olney - Value of Tulo's deal for next 10 years is $157.75 million guaranteed

So unnecessay. He is under control for 3 more years I think. I dont get it.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

could be worse...at least tulo isn't 30. and he doesnt' play 1B
    konerko to the O's. seems like a waste for them to lock him up. I don't get it
    SNB broadcast team will be shulman, hershiser, and valentine. I prefer the 2 man crew, but this should be much, much better than anything involving joe morgan.

I like shulman a lot as a play by play guy
    The Fixer wrote:
    could be worse...at least tulo isn't 30. and he doesnt' play 1B

ha, I was going to say something but figured I would leave it to you.
    not the biggest dunn fan, but that is a pretty nice pickup for the chisox as long as dunn never plays in the field.
    gotta love the gonzalez trade for the sox. nice move for SD as well assuming they get kelly and rizzo.

if boston lands werth or crawford that lineup will be scary good
    The Fixer wrote:
    gotta love the gonzalez trade for the sox. nice move for SD as well assuming they get kelly and rizzo.

definitely. Took them a long time and a lot of prospects to make up for losing out on Tex though

You think they will still add one of them with a Gonzalez extension? I mean, they are a small market team and all.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

definitely. Took them a long time and a lot of prospects to make up for losing out on Tex though

You think they will still add one of them with a Gonzalez extension? I mean, they are a small market team and all.

Ha. I think they will still get werth, crawford, or beltre. well, I guess not beltre since The Turd will now be moving to 3B.

I honestly don't know what boston's payroll situation is.

When do the winter meetings start? Is that on monday?
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Ha. I think they will still get werth, crawford, or beltre. well, I guess not beltre since The Turd will now be moving to 3B.

I honestly don't know what boston's payroll situation is.

When do the winter meetings start? Is that on monday?

Yeah, I bet they get Werth too. Will definitely be a good lineup. Any lineup with Pedroia, fuck face, Gonzalez and Werth is a good one but they definitely still have some questions (cameron, catcher, scuatro is just okay, and Drew/Ortiz are both a year older). I think their payroll was around $170 last year but they have Lowell coming off the books so they defintely have money to spend.

Yeah, winter meetings/cliff lee sweepstakes start monday.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Jeter's 3-yr deal with Yanks is done. He'll make between $15-$17 million a year. 4th yr option isn't guaranteed. Deal contingent on physical

http://twitter.com/#!/JackCurryYES/stat ... 5444449280
    berkman to STL. The cards are gonna play him in RF. I'm not sure what the hell they are thinking. They dumped ryan for theriot, which is a major downgrade defensively. Then they plan on playing holliday and berkman in the same OF. wow, reds fans must be doing cartwheels...they just won the division before spring training even started
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

you guys are paying jeter more per year :roll:

then again, your boys basically print money.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16