Options

**********2018 DALLAS COWBOYS**********

Comments

• Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399

Apparently he has never been part of a winning team in his 9 years as a defensive coordinator.

From how cocky he sounds you'd never guess it...
    Rob Ryan wrote:
    "I (expletive) made them a hell of a lot better. I'll be out of work for like five minutes."

I think the 5 minutes are up.

Jerry has commented on the firing...

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8830325/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-owner-comments-decision-release-rob-ryan

He specifically points to two losses, Chicago and Seattle, when their defense was healthy but still didn't perform, for the firing.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,544
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
  • Options
  • Options

This sounds like a horrible fit, both with personnel and the fact that he's 72 freaking years old! Does Jerry want someone around to make him feel younger??? :fp:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Options
    dougfloyd wrote:

This sounds like a horrible fit, both with personnel and the fact that he's 72 freaking years old! Does Jerry want someone around to make him feel younger??? :fp:

He's considered one of the best defensive minds in football, and I know he's 72 but he's not going to be playing. He might not be a long-term guy, but he can put a system in place. I know his philosophy doesn't really fit the personnel Dallas has, but they can adjust. The 3-4 hasn't taken Dallas anywhere since they switched to it in 2005, might as well go back to the 4-3.

I think it's a good move personally. And I throw around compliments to Jones like manhole covers. I think he made a smart choice. Kiffin might not be around in 5 years, but he can get your defense on track and somebody else can continue building where he leaves off.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    dougfloyd wrote:

He's considered one of the best defensive minds in football, and I know he's 72 but he's not going to be playing. He might not be a long-term guy, but he can put a system in place. I know his philosophy doesn't really fit the personnel Dallas has, but they can adjust. The 3-4 hasn't taken Dallas anywhere since they switched to it in 2005, might as well go back to the 4-3.

I think it's a good move personally. And I throw around compliments to Jones like manhole covers. I think he made a smart choice. Kiffin might not be around in 5 years, but he can get your defense on track and somebody else can continue building where he leaves off.

yup. good move....coming from an eagles fan.

this kind of good move might be about 5 years late for this team though.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Unusually quiet FA period for Dallas ...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Is this team the worst drafting team in the league? You trade down then draft a guy rated to go in the 3rd round (and it's a poor trade to begin with), and the 2nd a TE who can't block. Not off to a good start.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Is this team the worst drafting team in the league? You trade down then draft a guy rated to go in the 3rd round (and it's a poor trade to begin with), and the 2nd a TE who can't block. Not off to a good start.

I haven't paid much attention to what they've done, but if the local news was any indication, they didn't do well. People leaving irate voice mails and tweets, pretty much the talk of the town today. They also said something like this is the first time Dallas has ever not had a press conference with their first pick.
  • Options
    HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    Puzzling. Just puzzling. The next two picks were questionable as well.
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Options
    I guess the positives is that might have got a good WR, and hopefully Felix Jones replacement...I guess we'll see.

I'm not holding my breath. The OL is still pretty much the same as last except a rookie at centre or guard and we all know the OL was terrible...

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I guess the positives is that might have got a good WR, and hopefully Felix Jones replacement...I guess we'll see.

I'm not holding my breath. The OL is still pretty much the same as last except a rookie at centre or guard and we all know the OL was terrible...

receiver isn't exactly something you guys needed though...right?

i think the birds made out the best in the division this week.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

receiver isn't exactly something you guys needed though...right?

i think the birds made out the best in the division this week.

I think the thought process behind getting a receiver is that Austin has had nagging injuries the last 2 years...other than that I don't think we would have drafted a receiver.

It does look like the eagles made out well...

as long as jerry is running the show i won't get my hopes up, and if they ever do have success in the post season it won't be anything he has done (other than sign the pay check). It kind of looks like Romo will need to dodge the pass rush again this year. I see no point even thinking about another QB until the line is reasonably fixed.

• Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    :fp:
  • Options
    More like :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp: :x :evil: :evil: :cry:
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158

I think a Cowboys fan can only come away from that game feeling good. I mean sure they lost in the end, but they were playing Peyton manning and the Denver Broncos and they game them their hardest fought game of the season so far, putting up 48 points. It was a hell of a game and they looked awesome. Too bad they didn't have Miles Austin, he would've helped put up even more points.

Looking forward to the Cowboys-Redskins next Sunday night. Canadian Thanksgiving weekend! :D
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    The O I feel a lot better about for sure ... Bill Callahan's first year running the entire O and they look far better than they ever did under Garrett. I'm just curious as to who's idea it was to hire Kiffen, at first I thought it was Jones ... but I have since read Garrett had a lot to do the with hiring and if thats the case Garrett hiring Kiffin will likely cost him his job ... I see know way that this team makes the playoffs with awful defensive play like that.

• Options

I think a Cowboys fan can only come away from that game feeling good. I mean sure they lost in the end, but they were playing Peyton manning and the Denver Broncos and they game them their hardest fought game of the season so far, putting up 48 points. It was a hell of a game and they looked awesome. Too bad they didn't have Miles Austin, he would've helped put up even more points.

Looking forward to the Cowboys-Redskins next Sunday night. Canadian Thanksgiving weekend! :D

But that's just it, I went in to the game fully expecting to get blown out and then to lose the game like that after they should have won... I still don't think I've fully recovered yet. And then to have to hear people talk shit about Romo afterwards :roll:
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    dougfloyd wrote:

But that's just it, I went in to the game fully expecting to get blown out and then to lose the game like that after they should have won... I still don't think I've fully recovered yet. And then to have to hear people talk shit about Romo afterwards :roll:

Yeah I know but haters are gonna hate, so who cares what they say/think. I'm sure Peyton Manning said "great game," when they shook hands afterwards. Romo sure earned his respect. He outplayed the best QB in the NFL. He''s obviously not responsible for losing the game. He put up 5 TDs; the defence gave up 51 points.

Not to mention it's the best game of the season so far. Phenomenal game. And Romo was the main reason why. Not many QB's can come back and regain a lead over Peyton Manning.
  • Options
    They didn't lose because of Romo ... They lost because this defense is terrible. I don't know if what Romo did was the opposite of choke, but he did step up big time, he had to have known that they were going to need a ton of points and he delivered. Unfortunately for all the talking this defense did leading up to the game they didn't deliver on the field.

There was plenty of mistakes to go around, too many penalties, Bryant's turnover and just downright lousy defensive play. On this day Romo was not the problem, he was the reason this game was even close.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    They didn't lose because of Romo ... They lost because this defense is terrible.

On this day Romo was not the problem, he was the reason this game was even close.

Yep, but Cowboys haters will never see it this way, whatever. And it looks like on the replay that the LT tripped Romo on the INT so I give him a little bit of a pass even though he probably shouldn't have tried to throw it anyway. How does the O line let them get pressure with a 3 man rush?? Argh, I need to stop thinking about this game, please just let us beat the Redskins.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
  • Options
    Garrett: Romo should have found Murray

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/ ... rco-murray

Really Garrett ... are you feeling the heat or something, your QB put up 48 points in a game you were not even given a chance to win. Maybe he's pissed since he's no longer running the Offence and they actually making things happen. How 'bout pointing the finger at Kiffen and this tampa 2 sieve defence that he brought? How's Ryan's defence doing in NO?

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Garrett: Romo should have found Murray

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/ ... rco-murray

Really Garrett ... are you feeling the heat or something, your QB put up 48 points in a game you were not even given a chance to win. Maybe he's pissed since he's no longer running the Offence and they actually making things happen. How 'bout pointing the finger at Kiffen and this tampa 2 sieve defence that he brought? How's Ryan's defence doing in NO?

I can't believe this. :fp:
  • Options
    I was starting to warm up to Garrett a little ... Saying that is just ridiculous, holy shit your D gives up 51 points, your O scores 48. In 5 games they've allowed 3 opposing QB's 400 yard passing games. They benched Bruce Carter for Sims in the Denver game, then benched Sims for Carter. It's not the players on D it's the system, this Tampa 2 is getting torched ... I suspect this is Garrett's last year.

• Options
    The Dallas D was at it again yesterday, giving up the 2nd most passing yards to a single receiver in NFL history (only 7 yards short of the all-time record).

Embarrassing.

Detroit had one minute and no timeouts. Drove 80 yards in about 50 seconds. Pathetic. :fp:

They're still tied with the Eagles and the NYG are only 2 games back.

Romo's like "I can't do this anymore. Just trade me, already."

Should beat MIN at home next week. "Should."
  • Options
    The Dallas D was at it again yesterday, giving up the 2nd most passing yards to a single receiver in NFL history (only 7 yards short of the all-time record).

Embarrassing.

Detroit had one minute and no timeouts. Drove 80 yards in about 50 seconds. Pathetic. :fp:

They're still tied with the Eagles and the NYG are only 2 games back.

Romo's like "I can't do this anymore. Just trade me, already."

Should beat MIN at home next week. "Should."

I was at that game ... those last 2 minutes were just shocking. So many things went from relying to much on a rookie running back, not passing the ball down the field in the first 3 quarters, only turning 4 turnovers into 10 points and then that last drive ... which should have never gained any traction because if the O did their job and not took a holding penalty the lions would have gotten the ball back with only 20-30 seconds off the clock.

Personally I can no longer blame Jones for this mess, he gives the coach's the players they need ... they got good players on both sides of ball ... but defensively this tampa 2 does not work, that should be very clear.

Dez was left 1 on 1 plenty of times, I do think Romo does have to trust him more ... but he was once again under heavy pressure.

Personally I would not have a problem if Jones cut all veteran players at year end, as it stands this teams salary cap is a mess and will handcuff this franchise for years to come ... time to cut the costly veterans and take our licks for a few years get some top 10 younger player, because no matter what coach they bring in it will be the same mess.

That last minute on D they had 3 rookies in the secondary and I believe 2 were undrafted ... a product of mismanaged salary cap.

• Options
    As far as the coaching situation and unless the team gets on a roll I think Garrett's unless they win at least 1 playoff game which I don't see happening. I see Jones trying to hire Lovie Smith ... if unable to get him, I'd love for Mike Zimmer to be hired his defence's always seem to be good and surely they can find someone to run the O.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I was at that game ... those last 2 minutes were just shocking. So many things went from relying to much on a rookie running back, not passing the ball down the field in the first 3 quarters, only turning 4 turnovers into 10 points and then that last drive ... which should have never gained any traction because if the O did their job and not took a holding penalty the lions would have gotten the ball back with only 20-30 seconds off the clock.

Personally I can no longer blame Jones for this mess, he gives the coach's the players they need ... they got good players on both sides of ball ... but defensively this tampa 2 does not work, that should be very clear.

Dez was left 1 on 1 plenty of times, I do think Romo does have to trust him more ... but he was once again under heavy pressure.

Personally I would not have a problem if Jones cut all veteran players at year end, as it stands this teams salary cap is a mess and will handcuff this franchise for years to come ... time to cut the costly veterans and take our licks for a few years get some top 10 younger player, because no matter what coach they bring in it will be the same mess.

That last minute on D they had 3 rookies in the secondary and I believe 2 were undrafted ... a product of mismanaged salary cap.

Unreal. I definitely think Miles Austin is holding them back. I like him when he's healthy, but he's always hurt. He must be costing them a lot of bank. But yeah, if they don't win the division this year, shit should hit the fan. No one will be safe.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Unreal. I definitely think Miles Austin is holding them back. I like him when he's healthy, but he's always hurt. He must be costing them a lot of bank. But yeah, if they don't win the division this year, shit should hit the fan. No one will be safe.

Miles Austin ... look at Ratliff, received a big contract will count towards the cap next year and not even on the team, Spencer getting somewhere around 8 million this year and will not play a down, I like Ware a ton but it's pretty obvious he's wearing down, I do not think he's an very down player anymore ... Murray has been injured at some point every year, why do they not have more experience in the running back position?

But that 2 minutes was just brutal ... but quite honestly if the lions don't turn the ball over 4 times that game isn't even close. The last 3 games Romo does not seem quite as sharp, almost like he doesn't want to make a mistake ... would that have anything to do with Garrett calling him out after the denver game?

• Options
    Surely the Dallas D will not allow the Minnesota QB 400 yard passing :lol::lol::lol:.