Woman dies saving her dog...

Comments

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    eyedclaar wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    "redrock"

I like your outlook but to me it seems a bit utopic/hippyish. But that's the way you are!
    and proud of it! especially if it means I'm full of............... love :D

Pandora's box of love. Wait a second... :oops:
    I was wondering when that was cuming... oops did I spell that wrong? :P
  • dunkman wrote:
    it alternately amuses and shocks me you or anyone else would suggest this woman do nothing as her dog is dying, so as to spare her parents the agony of a dead daughter. I mean, really? So, i as a 26 year old male, am not supposed to do anything crazy, or silly, or dangerous, because I might cause pain if I die doing it? Yep, thats definitely a fun life, fun way to live life! Where can I sign up to follow this? Every decision I make needs to be approved by my parents. I cant do anything that might get me killed, which is let face it, everything in the world, because mommy and daddy might lose a child. Give me a king sized break. I aint living that life brother

clearly you have parent issues.

She didn't think she would die saving her dog... she therefore didnt think that she would be leaving her parents without their daughter. My point is that she shouldn't have went in after her dog as she is now dead and her parents have no daughter, whereas if she had been sensible and stayed out of the fire she would have lost her dog but she would still be alive and her parents would have their daughter.

this post was approved by my dad.

dunkman you are a pompous idiot. Anyone can read through this thread and see several mentions of people who feel that this woman shouldnt have gone back into the fire because she was going to cause pain for her parents should she die. That was stated flat out. If you want to deny there are posts like that, thats your own world you are living in. its fantasy. Clearly, anyone who acts in a non normal way is seen as stupid or weird to you. I value all life. Human and non human. Its something engrained in my dna. If you want to live your own life counter to that, what can I do? But dont mock me or try and act like i am some naive individual just cause I value animal and non human life.

Facts are facts. I love discussing issues like this. But when people start making things up and cant even acknowledge that indeed there have been quite a few people posting here who suggested the pain her parents feel isnt worth her dying, that it wasnt worth it for her to die because she caused her parents pain, then I dont know what.

Ever tried talking to a brick wall?
  • dunkman wrote:
    If you think its okay to do nothing while a pet is being killed, thats your own baggage friend. I wouldnt have it. I wouldnt be the meek, soulless thing that doesnt act.

I wouldn't save it... that would be the intelligent, sensible thing to do... does that make me meek and soulless? no, it makes me strong.. i have the mental strength to realise that, although horrific, the death of my pet is in no way comparable to the death of myself for my wife and children.

Not saving the dog, is your OWN view of whats intelligent and sensible. There is no law of ethics and morals that says a person who sits by and does nothing in a situation like this is more intelligent than anyone else. In fact I view anyone who does nothing as quite the opposite and of way lower intelligence. But that should be obvious to you, right? Someone of extreme intelligence, right dunkman. You are a regular stephan hawking. Best not rock the boat when Dunkman comes to post. OH GOD, he's SO SMART and INTELLIGENT!
  • So, you don’t care what others think of your views, yet you continually try to force them on people and attempt to guilt trip us into admitting you’re right?

People….well MOST people anyway will try always to do what’s right. Parents are, the vast majority of the time, role models to their children and as a consequence the child will always try to do things to make their parents proud. I still try to make my Dad proud and hope he would approve five years after his death. It’s not about being scared to make decisions for yourself, it’s about using common sense, applying the lessons taught to you. How dare you suggest people aren’t grown up who do otherwise.

You’ve obviously got a massive bug up your ass and I suggest you remove it before replying to others comments. Unless, of course, you’re scared of hurting the little feller and believe he has every right to be firmly wedged in your ass.[/quote]

Got a hard hard head. Well we know your head isnt heavy because of large brains. HOW DARE YOU tell me how I would act in this situation is not in alignment with you and your own fathers view of common sense. I believe all life is sacred. I model that in my life. I live that. Its my own choice to live my life as I see fit, and I dont believe its anyones right to criticize or to mock and belittle those of us who would actually go in a burning building to save a pet.

I dont view parents as wisdom holders. And thats my right to believe that. To try and convince me otherwise is trying to force me to conform to your own view points. So maybe take a look in the mirror friend. I havent told anyone how to live. I have expressed my view points, and others have reacted in an outrageous manner. Making snide remarks about saving ants, talking about how its common sense to do something or not do something. Thats all value judgements. Based on your own life experiences. No one has the right to tell me going into a burning building to save a pet is wrong. No one. You can say, you wouldnt do it, but to try and force others to conform to that standard is riduculous.

parents are to the vast majority role models? Indeed thats true in the context of it, but what about abused kids. kids whose parents arent around, who are neglected, who are emotionally abused. Parents who are completely clueless on how to raise a child? A kid has the duty and the right, to act independant of those negative influences and to live his or her own life reguardless of how their parents view their decisions. that goes in all cases.

If something like this were to happen to me, my apartment burns down, and if I had a pet dog, trapped inside, I wouldnt for a moment be thinking "I need to make my parents proud and by going in to save the dog I may make the rest of their lives painful if I die". No, I would save the dog. My parents dont figure into my thinking in that or any other circumstance. Making my parents happy? I dont like like that. My parents and I disagree on almost every single issue, from the biggies, how to live life, and to the small issues like what music and what movies we like. But I aint gonna sit around and alter who I am to conform to pleasing mommy and daddy. I am who I am.

I just think its outrageous anyone would say this woman was stupid. Disagree with her actions, all you want, but anyone following their own compass and their own heart is a hero in my book. Those are the people that I try to please Hard hard head.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    So, you don’t care what others think of your views, yet you continually try to force them on people and attempt to guilt trip us into admitting you’re right?

People….well MOST people anyway will try always to do what’s right. Parents are, the vast majority of the time, role models to their children and as a consequence the child will always try to do things to make their parents proud. I still try to make my Dad proud and hope he would approve five years after his death. It’s not about being scared to make decisions for yourself, it’s about using common sense, applying the lessons taught to you. How dare you suggest people aren’t grown up who do otherwise.

You’ve obviously got a massive bug up your ass and I suggest you remove it before replying to others comments. Unless, of course, you’re scared of hurting the little feller and believe he has every right to be firmly wedged in your ass.

Got a hard hard head. Well we know your head isnt heavy because of large brains. HOW DARE YOU tell me how I would act in this situation is not in alignment with you and your own fathers view of common sense. I believe all life is sacred. I model that in my life. I live that. Its my own choice to live my life as I see fit, and I dont believe its anyones right to criticize or to mock and belittle those of us who would actually go in a burning building to save a pet.

I dont view parents as wisdom holders. And thats my right to believe that. To try and convince me otherwise is trying to force me to conform to your own view points. So maybe take a look in the mirror friend. I havent told anyone how to live. I have expressed my view points, and others have reacted in an outrageous manner. Making snide remarks about saving ants, talking about how its common sense to do something or not do something. Thats all value judgements. Based on your own life experiences. No one has the right to tell me going into a burning building to save a pet is wrong. No one. You can say, you wouldnt do it, but to try and force others to conform to that standard is riduculous.

parents are to the vast majority role models? Indeed thats true in the context of it, but what about abused kids. kids whose parents arent around, who are neglected, who are emotionally abused. Parents who are completely clueless on how to raise a child? A kid has the duty and the right, to act independant of those negative influences and to live his or her own life reguardless of how their parents view their decisions. that goes in all cases.

If something like this were to happen to me, my apartment burns down, and if I had a pet dog, trapped inside, I wouldnt for a moment be thinking "I need to make my parents proud and by going in to save the dog I may make the rest of their lives painful if I die". No, I would save the dog. My parents dont figure into my thinking in that or any other circumstance. Making my parents happy? I dont like like that. My parents and I disagree on almost every single issue, from the biggies, how to live life, and to the small issues like what music and what movies we like. But I aint gonna sit around and alter who I am to conform to pleasing mommy and daddy. I am who I am.

I just think its outrageous anyone would say this woman was stupid. Disagree with her actions, all you want, but anyone following their own compass and their own heart is a hero in my book. Those are the people that I try to please Hard hard head.[/quote]

Homeslice, there is some awesome weed in your neck of the woods. I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest you smoke some asap. Dunk will get under your kilt, but only if you let him. :lol:
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    Alright, who fucked up the quoting process?

• tacettacet Posts: 323
    eyedclaar wrote:

Rules for quoting posts:

1) Must be under 20,000 characters in length.
    2) Must not make reference to the size of any Scotsman's brains or lack thereof
    3) Must not give the impression that the author of the post being quoted has spit and drool
    coming from their mouth and smoke billowing out their ears.
    we're all sentient snowflakes
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman you are a pompous idiot. Anyone can read through this thread and see several mentions of people who feel that this woman shouldnt have gone back into the fire because she was going to cause pain for her parents should she die. That was stated flat out. If you want to deny there are posts like that, thats your own world you are living in. its fantasy. Clearly, anyone who acts in a non normal way is seen as stupid or weird to you. I value all life. Human and non human. Its something engrained in my dna. If you want to live your own life counter to that, what can I do? But dont mock me or try and act like i am some naive individual just cause I value animal and non human life.

Facts are facts. I love discussing issues like this. But when people start making things up and cant even acknowledge that indeed there have been quite a few people posting here who suggested the pain her parents feel isnt worth her dying, that it wasnt worth it for her to die because she caused her parents pain, then I dont know what.

Ever tried talking to a brick wall?

nice insult... your pomposity oozes of my monitor and forms a pompous library of 18th century french poetry right in front of me.

Redrock has also stated that no-one in this entire thread mentioned anything about living a life constrained by your parents ideals.. but you brought that up. you. not me.

as for the idiot part... well, you attending any shows in Europe soon? Never say something on a forum you wouldn't say to someone's face... and you wouldn't say that. :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    SS25454 wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Rules for quoting posts:

1) Must be under 20,000 characters in length.
    2) Must not make reference to the size of any Scotsman's brains or lack thereof
    3) Must not give the impression that the author of the post being quoted has spit and drool
    coming from their mouth and smoke billowing out their ears.

What has a Scotsman's brains got to do with it? Do you want a quiz with me or something?

Scotland invented quizzes.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:
    If you think its okay to do nothing while a pet is being killed, thats your own baggage friend. I wouldnt have it. I wouldnt be the meek, soulless thing that doesnt act.

I wouldn't save it... that would be the intelligent, sensible thing to do... does that make me meek and soulless? no, it makes me strong.. i have the mental strength to realise that, although horrific, the death of my pet is in no way comparable to the death of myself for my wife and children.

Not saving the dog, is your OWN view of whats intelligent and sensible. There is no law of ethics and morals that says a person who sits by and does nothing in a situation like this is more intelligent than anyone else. In fact I view anyone who does nothing as quite the opposite and of way lower intelligence. But that should be obvious to you, right? Someone of extreme intelligence, right dunkman. You are a regular stephan hawking. Best not rock the boat when Dunkman comes to post. OH GOD, he's SO SMART and INTELLIGENT!

that's correct, me is so smart... that's why i know his name is Stephen and not Stephan.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    That's really sad. But, I think I'd do the same thing for my dog.
    aNiMaL wrote:

have a wife and kids?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    edited April 2010
    a friend of mine lost her mom on christmas eve in a house fire when she was a young girl about 8-10 years old.
    she's a few years younger than me. the christmas of 2008 was the first time she put up a christmas tree since her mom's death.
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    dunkman wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

have a wife and kids?

well? do you have a wife and kids?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Fuck that shit. I understand pets are a gigantic part of peoples lives but there is no excuse for people to go back into a fire to save an animal and risk the lives of firefighters.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Fuck that shit. I understand pets are a gigantic part of peoples lives but there is no excuse for people to go back into a fire to save an animal and risk the lives of firefighters.

exactly.

imo
  • So, you don’t care what others think of your views, yet you continually try to force them on people and attempt to guilt trip us into admitting you’re right?

You’ve obviously got a massive bug up your ass and I suggest you remove it before replying to others comments. Unless, of course, you’re scared of hurting the little feller and believe he has every right to be firmly wedged in your ass.

I just think its outrageous anyone would say this woman was stupid. Disagree with her actions, all you want, but anyone following their own compass and their own heart is a hero in my book. Those are the people that I try to please Hard hard head.[/quote]

To answer some of your comments:

Who said I had a heavy head? I didn’t say that, have made no reference to this and my name doesn’t refer to this.

Exactly when did I tell you how to act in any situation? Where did I write “and you’d be wrong to run into a burning building to save a dog”, or a similarly worded statement?

When did I say that this would be in direct conflict to what my Father had taught me and would therefore be wrong? When? Where? The fact is – I didn’t. I said that I try to make my Dad proud and hope that I do. I don’t stand at his grave thinking “Oh I do hope that musicismylife78 is doing the right thing, I hope you approve Dad”. What you do, the life decisions you make is entirely your choice. When did I ever say anything to the contrary?

I said that the vast majority of parents are role models, not all parents. You’re quite correct in that there are many parents who are not role models, but my statement was related to the ones who do i.e. the vast majority. Not all influences are negative, there are some good people in this world who strive every day to bring their kids up to be good people. Doubtless, there’ll be time that they fail in certain aspects, but that’s unavoidable.

The main crux of this discussion is whether, in such a highly dangerous situation, are the actions an individual chooses worth the risk of potentially worsening the outcome? What if the lady had herself become trapped and, in a rescue attempt, a firefighter had died? Two deaths that were, one could argue, completely avoidable. Stupidity? Courage? Who is to say which is right or wrong? Neither you or I.

I think it’s quite sad that you disagree with your parents on a lot of issues and the fact that you stated that the effect of your decisions on your parents is not a concern is quite a selfish attitude to take. As in life, you have to meet things halfway and the same goes for opinions. Some of your comments are a little headstrong and you throw insults at people instead of discussing the subject and keeping a level head.
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i'd go back in to save my dog ...

firefighters have rules of engagment http://www.firefighterhourly.com/firefi ... ement.html

if there lives are at risk - they won't go in ... for me as an individual - i have every right to risk my life to save a pet that means more to me than most people ... and for most people i'd probably go back in ...
    I've heard rumors than Dunk starts fires using puppies as kindling.

• DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    eyedclaar wrote:

Yeah, remember how he said they were really hard to ignight without using gasoline?
    eyedclaar wrote:

Yeah, remember how he said they were really hard to ignight without using gasoline?

I do remember. As a child, he thought their tails would work like fuses...

a pig's penis works best as a fuse, it appears short but the curlyness gives you more time to run away.

Ziggy taught me this.
    dunkman wrote:
    a pig's penis works best as a fuse, it appears short but the curlyness gives you more time to run away.

Ziggy taught me this.

Cover that pig in mayo, and you'll have ham salad for a month. I love ham salad.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    i love the direction this thread has now taken. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Just think... If dogs only had 9 lives like cats do, there never would have been a reason for 10 pages of vicious personal attacks and jokes I shouldn't be laughing at posted on a rock band's message board.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    dunkman wrote:

Ziggy taught me this.

i just realized....wtf is this about? :wtf:
    upon first reading, i just read it as 'tail'....b/c yea, pig's tails are usually curly. upon second glance, i am thinking....dunky knows a HELLUVA lot more about pigs and their anatomy then i would ever care to know. :shock:

:mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

dunkman wrote:

Ziggy taught me this.

upon first reading, i just read it as 'tail'....b/c yea, pig's tails are usually curly. upon second glance, i am thinking....dunky knows a HELLUVA lot more about pigs and their anatomy then i would ever care to know. :shock:

...please don't get him started on zebras.
    dunkman wrote:

Ziggy taught me this.

it is true.
    anyone living in iowa or the midwest will tell you that a pig's john is curly.

also, some weird ass hillbillies have raccoon dick toothpicks.
    i am sure some fucked in the head Scotsman has and uses a raccoon dick toothpick.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:

it is true.

i am sure some fucked in the head Scotsman has and uses a raccoon dick toothpick.

Suddenly I'm embarrased to be an American...

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/crazyokiestruetales/toothpicks.html
    chadwick wrote:

it is true.

Suddenly I'm embarrased to be an American...

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/crazyokiestruetales/toothpicks.html

the day i use a raccoon schlong toothpick is the day hell freezes over.
    i think that Cory dude sells them out of his garage.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce