Options

once again, fans without credit cards left with no option....

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    They can put spending limits on those suckers. This is really a silly thread.
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    dunkman wrote:
    well in the UK the Scottish Bank note isnt legal tender in England... but the English money is legal up here... so i cant give an exact date... but it was around 1975 :)

weird huh?
    huh... so scottish money isn't legal tender in scotland? If that's NOT what you're trying to say, you've completely ignored my question :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    voodoopug wrote:
    My take on it is that Pearl Jam is a band based in the US in a society that does overall believe in credit and where virtually anyone with enough disposable income to purchase live Pearl Jam bootlegs has a credit card/debit card with a visa/mc logo/ability to buy a visa gift card/etc. That being said, fans from other countries need to adapt to the USA market to enjoy goods/services purchased from a US based company.

My company buys a lot of product from countries all over the world, and unless financial compensation is involved, it is my responsibility to make any changes to the products to make them conform to the US market (IE products purchased from Mexico typically have instructions/literature in Spanish).

There are far too many options out there for fans who do not have credit cards:
    Paypal, visa gift cards, friends with cards, debit cards with MC logo, etc for this to be a problem worthy for Pearl Jam to designate time/money/effort to change.

you should post more often :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    huh... so scottish money isn't legal tender in scotland? If that's NOT what you're trying to say, you've completely ignored my question :p

thats exactly what i'm saying :)

scottish bank notes are not LEGAL TENDER in Scotland... only coins are :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    I just think it's ridiculous that many people are advocating getting a credit card simply cos it'll help you if you want to buy a house in the future :eek: so having bought things on credit your whole life makes you a good customer and a good candidate to give lots of money to? : just none of it makes sense to me. I'm not trying to patronise anyone... but I've had dunk and others patronise me before for this line of thought and he seems to think he's somehow better than me cos he has a mortgage and a credit card :D and yet every penny I have and everything I own is actually mine :confused:

actually, i would 'advocate' getting a credit card simply b/c it's so EASY to use, don't have to carry cash, don't have to worry aobut losing/stealing your $$$...and even if your card is stoeln, not responsible for the purchases. i said more earlier: pay your bill in full each month, it's like an interest-free loan on your purchases every month while your $$$ earns interest in the bank......many cards offer cash back rewards, airmiles....other incentives....so YOU get more from your purchases. the fact that they are a good tool for building a credit history is a bonus. one CAN build good credit w/o, i'ts not necessary.....it just is yet another tool. besid, it's not just for a home purchase, it could help for ANy loan one might want down the line: house, car, school, etc.

btw - it's a big resounding YES as to using a credit card and having a good credit history makes you a good candidate for a loan - one of the factos in the proces, anyway. you answered your own question. having a detailed history of paying your bills on time all adds up and banks look at such factors when asked for say a home mortgage....and thus you can secure a better rate with such a history. it makes total sense.

i certainly do not think i am 'better'....nor one 'less' simply for having, or not having a credit card. i do not understand being 'against' credit on principle, being socially conscious, etc...i just don't see it that way. to me, it's simple. i find having a credit card adds a LOT of EASE to my life. i really LIKE credit and debit cards. i rarely set foot in a bank, i use my ATM card to take out what little cash i carry, and i use my credit card for EVERYthing, and pay my bill in full each month. i also know most merchants readily accept visa, makes it very easy for anything i want/need to purchase. it is a TOOL.

what i don't 'get' is people who complain about them. don't like em...don't use em. there are a multitude of very GOOD reasons why people use credit cards, and why merchants - epecially in the internet age - accept them and prefer or require them for certain purchases. if one doesn't want to be a part of that, don't...but don't complain about it if you CHOOSE to not be involved in that. getting/using a credit card is not 'bad'.....just an option.

btw - everything i own is 'mine'...except my house. you rent, so you don't own.....i own, but carry that debt. c'est la vie and another discussion, haha.

anyhooooooo....getting way off topic now. :p this is the porch, all about pearl jam. if one wants to purchase pearl jam merch there ARE MANY OPTIONs to do so! lots of good suggestions in this thread...and it seems quite covered that most, if not all, can easily get a DEBIT CARD with the visa or MC logo in their home country, problem solved. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Oh I can easily get a credit cart... I'm offered loads of them... I've had one... they kept putting the limit up without my authorisation. It's MUCH EASIER to spend money you don't have when you're allowed credit. It's much easier to give into a moment of pure weakness when you have access to the money. Now I've no cc... I've cancelled my overdraft, paid back my loans, my savings can only be touched with a 7 day notice... and it's MUCH better. I KNOW everything I have is mine and it feels great.

That's great and that's your choice. However, by making that choice you have to realize that it limits what you can do with your money. And if you accept that, then there are no problems.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    voodoopug wrote:
    My take on it is that Pearl Jam is a band based in the US in a society that does overall believe in credit and where virtually anyone with enough disposable income to purchase live Pearl Jam bootlegs has a credit card/debit card with a visa/mc logo/ability to buy a visa gift card/etc. That being said, fans from other countries need to adapt to the USA market to enjoy goods/services purchased from a US based company.

My company buys a lot of product from countries all over the world, and unless financial compensation is involved, it is my responsibility to make any changes to the products to make them conform to the US market (IE products purchased from Mexico typically have instructions/literature in Spanish).

There are far too many options out there for fans who do not have credit cards:
    Paypal, visa gift cards, friends with cards, debit cards with MC logo, etc for this to be a problem worthy for Pearl Jam to designate time/money/effort to change.

exactly!
    said a couple times over, by a few people, in this very thread......but very succinct! :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I just think it's ridiculous that many people are advocating getting a credit card simply cos it'll help you if you want to buy a house in the future :eek: so having bought things on credit your whole life makes you a good customer and a good candidate to give lots of money to? :confused: just none of it makes sense to me. I'm not trying to patronise anyone... but I've had dunk and others patronise me before for this line of thought and he seems to think he's somehow better than me cos he has a mortgage and a credit card :D and yet every penny I have and everything I own is actually mine :confused:

That's great that everything you own is yours, but I haven't met many people that can pay $200,000 for a house all in cash.. shit at least I know I can't.
    It makes sense that for banks to lend you money to get a house they have proof that you are not going to default, $200,000 or more is a lot of money to lend to someone... credit card history is like tenant history.. references...

I won't rent for the rest of my life just because I don't want to buy anything on credit, I guess once you get married and have children there are things that get pushed to the back burner and you start thinking of what's better for your family rather than fighting Big corporate America... IMO
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    no its not.

not doing to well today are we Hells..

1st you say no-one in UK has them - wrong
    then you say you DONT get them in Ireland - wrong
    then you say its only one bank - wrong

yeah i just quoted myself... but i liked it so much i thought i'd read it again :p
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    Helens right and the rest of you are all brain dead..

go get em
    Helen

dx
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with credit... the problem is people abusing it and overextending themselves by buying things that they cannot afford. You can easily get a CC, buy let's say monthly groceries on it, and then easily pay the FULL AMOUNT every month on the card, no problems right?? But when you start buying things you cannot afford, then credit (a line of credit at a store) and credit cards can become a heavy burden.

I agree.
    The part that I don't seem to understand about Helen's position is the principles... what principles are being trampled on? Why is this having a credit so socially unconscious? :confused:

If an unknown person comes to me and asks me for $200 as a loan and I have no idea of who they are and what they do I would probably say NO!
    If my best friend who I have lent money to before and given it back to me asks me for $200 I would gladly lend it to her....
    Same logic with a bank, the bank is not freely going to give you thousands of dollars just because you look good on a suite when you walk into the branch..

How is owing a house not important though who can really tell me that they can put together $200,000 + in cash to buy a house? :eek:

Being able to have credit and good one, is a good thing, problems start when you don't know how to handle your credit line... now that's not the banks' fault...IMO
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:
    Helens right and the rest of you are all brain dead..

go get em
    Helen

dx

yeah great argument.. you should be like a lawyer or something...
  • Options
    Oh I can easily get a credit cart... I'm offered loads of them... I've had one... they kept putting the limit up without my authorisation. It's MUCH EASIER to spend money you don't have when you're allowed credit. It's much easier to give into a moment of pure weakness when you have access to the money. Now I've no cc... I've cancelled my overdraft, paid back my loans, my savings can only be touched with a 7 day notice... and it's MUCH better. I KNOW everything I have is mine and it feels great.

I dont mean to rude, but if you need your bank account to put you limits on when you can touch your money then it sounds like you have a problem with impulsive behavior with money.... I'm sorry

I have (not that much) $7,000 available in credit but not because I have it does it mean I can use it, it's all about responsibility and setting yourself that limits not let banks tell you how much in advance you can touch your savings :confused:

For irresponsible people I'm all for stay AWAY from credit cards before you ruin your life, but you can't say that credit is bad for everyone just because you couldn't handle having money available to you without spending it all.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    actually, i would 'advocate' getting a credit card simply b/c it's so EASY to use, don't have to carry cash, don't have to worry aobut losing/stealing your $$$...and even if your card is stoeln, not responsible for the purchases. i said more earlier: pay your bill in full each month, it's like an interest-free loan on your purchases every month while your $$$ earns interest in the bank......

On top of those advantages, paying with credit card is nice because if you buy something and are getting screwed over, the credit card company has the muscle to get thing fixed that a single consumer wouldn’t. For example a guy I work with recently was looking into buying a car. He put a refundable deposit down at one place but after their crap customer service he decided to cancel. But for weeks they were totally dragging their heels about returning the deposit. But since he paid with his credit card, he phoned the cc company told them he was getting screwed. They phoned the dealership on his behalf and he had the deposit back the next day. That was because one guy telling the dealership that he wouldn’t never come back isn’t much of a threat, but Visa calling and telling them they might lose their Visa access is definitely a big enough threat for them to take action.
  • Options

I won't rent for the rest of my life just because I don't want to buy anything on credit, I guess once you get married and have children there are things that get pushed to the back burner and you start thinking of what's better for your family rather than fighting Big corporate America... IMO
    Probably :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Probably :o

I wish it was different you know... but I think credit is necessary either that or have a job that pays you great money where you can buy most of your stuff cash.. that would be wonderful.
    I don't buy things I can't afford unless I can pay them off at the end of the month or unless its an emergency of course.. but a house, i don't have an chance at buying a house cash, unless I win the lottery... :(

I use my debit card a lot though, 10C I probably use my debit card 99% of the time, that like instant cash actually.
  • Options
    I agree.
    The part that I don't seem to understand about Helen's position is the principles... what principles are being trampled on? Why is this having a credit so socially unconscious? :confused:
    See this is one of the more difficult parts. If I tell you you'll roll your eyes and go 'ah I see... someone needs their tinfoil hat' so there is no way to speculate about future goings on without seeming like a nut... cos obviously something that hasn't happened yet is quite difficult to prove :o get where I'm coming from? :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    See this is one of the more difficult parts. If I tell you you'll roll your eyes and go 'ah I see... someone needs their tinfoil hat' so there is no way to speculate about future goings on without seeming like a nut... cos obviously something that hasn't happened yet is quite difficult to prove :o get where I'm coming from? :)

oh boy .... you really really really lost me there.... :o
  • Options
    I wish it was different you know... but I think credit is necessary either that or have a job that pays you great money where you can buy most of your stuff cash.. that would be wonderful.
    I don't buy things I can't afford unless I can pay them off at the end of the month or unless its an emergency of course.. but a house, i don't have an chance at buying a house cash, unless I win the lottery... :(

I use my debit card a lot though, 10C I probably use my debit card 99% of the time, that like instant cash actually.
    Oh I know credit is a part of everyday life for most of the world... and I know it's necessary for many! I'm not denying THAT! It's just I'm not a big fan of banks in general... yet you have to have a bank account if you want a job that pays you enough to survive :rolleyes: otherwise I'd even steer clear of them. I don't get how it has managed to come this far. If someone was told 15/20 years ago that they wouldn't be able to get a job without having a bank account... they'd laugh, roll their eyes and tell you to get your tinfoil hat out :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Oh I know credit is a part of everyday life for most of the world... and I know it's necessary for many! I'm not denying THAT! It's just I'm not a big fan of banks in general... yet you have to have a bank account if you want a job that pays you enough to survive :rolleyes: otherwise I'd even steer clear of them. I don't get how it has managed to come this far. If someone was told 15/20 years ago that they wouldn't be able to get a job without having a bank account... they'd laugh, roll their eyes and tell you to get your tinfoil hat out :o

Ahhhhhhh! I get it now....

Well when I did Pearl Jam tour in 1996 I didn't have a bank account or credit card, didn't have anything against them but just didn't have them I guess, did everything with cash.... that changed though when I stopped having roommates and got married and had children..
    with savings and by myself if I lost my job it was ok I could handle... right now I think I'd freak out if I had only savings with 3 children and lost my job and didn't have an emergency credit card...

I guess my views have changed over the years? :o
  • Options

Well when I did Pearl Jam tour in 1996 I didn't have a bank account or credit card, didn't have anything against them but just didn't have them I guess, did everything with cash.... that changed though when I stopped having roommates and got married and had children..
    with savings and by myself if I lost my job it was ok I could handle... right now I think I'd freak out if I had only savings with 3 children and lost my job and didn't have an emergency credit card...

no that's ok... and mine probably will too... cos when you have kids you do anything to make your life easier. It's just I saw a documentary where they were suggesting EVERYTHING be microchipped... and we be microchipped... you won't even HAVE cash down the line, walk into a shop, pick up what you want, walk out and the money will be taken out of your account. And they were suggesting this as how to make life easier and how it will be great when that happens. I'm just wondering how far it's all going to go and how much we're willing to give up to make life easier :(

Edit: I no longer care if people think I'm a fruit. Cos people called people crazy years ago for suggesting certain things that we have now and think are great!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    no that's ok... and mine probably will too... cos when you have kids you do anything to make your life easier. It's just I saw a documentary where they were suggesting EVERYTHING be microchipped... and we be microchipped... you won't even HAVE cash down the line, walk into a shop, pick up what you want, walk out and the money will be taken out of your account. And they were suggesting this as how to make life easier and how it will be great when that happens. I'm just wondering how far it's all going to go and how much we're willing to give up to make life easier :(

Edit: I no longer care if people think I'm a fruit. Cos people called people crazy years ago for suggesting certain things that we have now and think are great!

microchips would SUCK monkey balls... but I wonder what I will think when it happens ......

I guess its kinda like the cellphone, I thought it was so unnecessary 10 years ago, though now you wont catch me leaving the house without it :o
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    well in the UK the Scottish Bank note isnt legal tender in England... but the English money is legal up here... so i cant give an exact date... but it was around 1975 :)

weird huh?

The Scottish bank note IS legal tender in England (or it was when I worked in a shop rather more recently than 1975). As is the Northern Irish bank note. Some shopkeepers will try to tell you it isn't, but they are lying.
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,762
    :( I agree! The whole WORLD is in a credit crisis... and people are telling this guy that his only option is to get a credit card and they're looking down on him for not wanting to do so.

There's nothing wrong with a credit card, if handled properly. As skittish as this original poster is about them, I find it hard to believe he would abuse one.

He could get a Visa, buy his bootlegs and pay off his Visa on-line the same damn day. The sum total is, the money came out of his checking account. His Visa card, at the end of the day, would have a balance of $0.00 on it.

Hell, he could cancel the credit card when he was done buying boots, if he wanted.

Sometimes I just think people like to go out of their way to be a martyr.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    The Scottish bank note IS legal tender in England (or it was when I worked in a shop rather more recently than 1975). As is the Northern Irish bank note. Some shopkeepers will try to tell you it isn't, but they are lying.

http://www.siliconglen.com/Scotland/1_7.html
    http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/about/faqs.htm#15
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling#Scotland_and_Northern_Ireland

i know this will be ignored but I live here.. i know they are not Legal tender.. i know this from trying to buy a pint in Southampton once. :D

ohh i'm on a corrective roll today :)
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838

They aren't legal tender in England and Wales (but then legal tender doesn't mean what people think it does) ... it's up to a shop keeper if they want to accept them or not ... but then the same shop keeper has every right to refuse English notes as well ... they don't have to sell anyone anything.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    They aren't legal tender in England and Wales (but then legal tender doesn't mean what people think it does) ... it's up to a shop keeper if they want to accept them or not ... but then the same shop keeper has every right to refuse English notes as well ... they don't have to sell anyone anything.

Chime is correct :)

scottish notes arent even legal in Scotland.. only the coins are :)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451
    Why do so many people equate credit cards with debt?

There is something called self-control. People should be able to curb their spending so that they can pay their creidt card bill each month without incurring any interest charges.

Also, for people who don't believe in credit cards, what would you do if you had some sort of emergency that required a hefty payment to remedy?
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,451

Wow, you views have changed over the years? You are just as much of a sell-out as PJ!
    :)
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    :eek: this post alone makes me want to scream. You think credits a very good thing and you don't see why I think it might not be??????????? Have you SEEN the state of the world recently???

I stopped reading after page 5. This statement makes ME want to scream. Credit is a great thing. The PROBLEM is dumb ass PEOPLE. People who abuse credit or use it incorrectly are the people who get into trouble with it. The same can be said with ANYTHING, cars are great, except for those who use them poorly and get into car accidents and kill people, same for guns etc.

USE CREDIT THE CORRECT WAY AND NOTHING BAD HAPPENS. to all those who use it incorrectly and lose their homes and cars... good for them... stupid people deserve it
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False