Options

once again, fans without credit cards left with no option....

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    finnannie wrote:
    I have a VISA electron, it works fine - paid my 10c membership with it, I use paypal with it, and I also paid my plane tickets, concert tickets and hotel stays with it... had no problems. :) I guess it just depends on your bank, what kind of possibilities they have with their electron or debit cards. and im from Finland.

exactly.
    i only use my debit card at the ATM, but it has the visa logo so i could use it anywhere that credit cards are accepted, no problem. so one CAN keep themselves to debit cards and debit cards only, but i guess especially if you want to make many international purchases, it would be wise to make sure you get a debit card with a MC or visa logo as they seem to be the MOST widely accepted, worldwide.

btw - i agree credit can be dangerous...but it's a CHOICE. and believe me, i live in NY, i KNOW all about crazy house prices, thus, mortgages....it's how it's always done, even with lower home prices. that said, i was merely pointing out benefits and yes...the various options you COULD utilize, only 1 of which encouraged actually getting a credit card. bottomline, you are NOT shut out, nor only one option. pearl jam is an american band based in the states...i've never even heard of maestro, and nor would i expect american retailers to accept such. go with the international 'biggies'...visa or MC....still only a debit card, and you'd have zero issues! it ain't pearl jam! :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    I'd give up all my credit cards if I got to say "whilst" without being laughed at.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    robbutlandrobbutland Posts: 59
    yet the uk retailers are expected to take ameican express.

well, thank you for your insight and whilst your options were valid and to an extent useful i will continue to spend my own money and nobody elses. not MC's not Visa's and not my parents'.

to all who contributed with real advice, cheers.

later.
    If music be the food of love, play on.
  • Options
    robbutlandrobbutland Posts: 59
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    I'd give up all my credit cards if I got to say "whilst" without being laughed at.

lol, whats up with saying 'whilst'?
    If music be the food of love, play on.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    robbutland wrote:
    yet the uk retailers are expected to take ameican express.

well, thank you for your insight and whilst your options were valid and to an extent useful i will continue to spend my own money and nobody elses. not MC's not Visa's and not my parents'.

to all who contributed with real advice, cheers.

later.

how is getting a DEBIT CARD that has the visa or master card logo spending anyone else's funds but your own? you currently have one that has a 'maestro' logo i assume...so same difference, no? :confused: or, conversely, handing over cash to a friend or family member and having them charge it...spending money other than your own? two very valid/easy ways around your 'issue.'

sorry if my options were not 'real advice'........:rolleyes:

as to the amex comment, UK retailers, or anywhere really...aren't *expected* to take amex. in fact, i have oftentimes heard travel agents encouraging americans to get other cards besides amex b/c it is NOT taken everywhere worldwide. i in fact have never had an amex card - and never plan to. well, i have one for business, but it's for business...so no choice there. point is, UK retailers CHOOSE to accept amex, if they desire to, b/c they want amex business. it's that simple.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    robbutland wrote:
    lol, whats up with saying 'whilst'?

Haha, robbutland used it in one of his posts. Only British people can pull it off, though.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    riffrandallriffrandall Posts: 685
    Whining! My god!
    I have a debit card with the Visa logo (like pretty much everyone else) and I use it at UK retailers all the time without "spending anyone else's money." What is the problem? If you want something bad enough, you'll figure out a way to get it- or you won't. End of story.
    "If you're looking for someone to pull you out of that ditch, you're out of luck."
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    robbutland wrote:
    guess ill be downloading my 2008 bootlegs from free torrents. when/if they appear.

just borrow someone's card and give them the 15 bucks.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    robbutland wrote:
    i shop online all the time with my debit card. its not a problem in this country.

not getting a credit card isn't lazy its just me not wanting one because i dont believe in credit.

and im not the only one on these boards that was flocking to get to the threds posting the 2006/2007 boots for free.

im not a thief. but when reduced to one option what else can you do?

"what else can you do?"

Perhaps refrain from stealing!

The inability to convey a payment for something is not a good defense for stealing!
  • Options
    pjcincipjcinci Posts: 223
    seriously????

go to the fucking gas station and get a prepaid visa
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Just wait for a year they might end up being distributed for free like the 2006 tour. But it sounds like your best option is find someone with a credit card and pay them up front.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    "what else can you do?"

Perhaps refrain from stealing!

The inability to convey a payment for something is not a good defense for stealing!

Not according to Robin Hood.

Anyhoo, I'm an American who doesn't have a credit card and doesn't need or want one. AND my credit score is off the charts. Don't let people tell you you have to have credit cards to establish credit.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    I have a debit card with a maestro logo but no mC/Visa logo..can that work to order stuff online?
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I have no pity for you. You've known for a long time that TenClub uses Visa and Mastercard only, and you've known the bootlegs were coming. Go ahead and sign up for one now, and next time around you can spare us this whiny post.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    balwal78 wrote:
    You need to build a credit profile. Please apply for one.
    WOW! DON'T encourage people to apply for credit cards :o . Sadly it's becoming more and more impossible to do the FUN stuff without them... but I've a big problem with them. I DO have a debit card... which can be used as Maestro... very few of the fun sites take maestro!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    maestro is the same as mastercard. you can use your debit card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_(debit_card)

stop complaining.
    It's not the same. Did you read your own link re. UK and also Ireland?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    ZAPPER wrote:
    as someone else mentioned, you can now generate a one time use Paypal online debit card (mastercard) you only need a paypal account.
    yes, but how do you GET the funds onto the paypal account? Last I checked it wouldn't take my laser/debit/maestro card... and paypal cannot be linked to Irish bank accounts.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    i have never understood this. seriously. granted, i am american and maybe it's our mentality, but i just don't get it. do you not ever plan on getting a home with a mortgage? that's 'credit'...and actually building good credit thru a credit card helps build a stellar credit score, thus more apt to get better rates on home loans, car loans if that's your thing, etc. thing is, i have had a credit card most of my adult life and if used properly, it's like an interest-free loan every month if you pay your bill in full each month. it's an excellent financial tool. *I* get way more out of my credit card than they do me...i don't think i have ever carried a balance nor paid any fees....but i have gotten monthly interest-free loans, cash back, airmiles for free travel and yes...built my credit score.

and, you have more than one option.

1. easiest option - get a credit card. they are VERY handy, and will help you get things you want - such as pearl jam boots.

2. borrow a creidt card from a relative or friend, pay them cash up front, easy.

3. get a debit card with a MC or visa logo.....problem solved.
    Nobody's denying that's how it IS... I just think it's a nasty way of doing business. If I could find the words to articulate the many reasons it's sick, I would.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    I think it's funny that people are insulting you when America is in the middle of a credit crisis that's basically fucking up our entire economy.

I'm doing my part to help by spending my economic stimulus check on concert tickets and bootlegs.
    :( I agree! The whole WORLD is in a credit crisis... and people are telling this guy that his only option is to get a credit card and they're looking down on him for not wanting to do so.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    how is getting a DEBIT CARD that has the visa or master card logo spending anyone else's funds but your own? you currently have one that has a 'maestro' logo i assume...so same difference, no? :confused: or, conversely, handing over cash to a friend or family member and having them charge it...spending money other than your own? two very valid/easy ways around your 'issue.'
    see you don't understand... Irish and UK debit cards DON'T have a mastercard or visa logo... and in Ireland you can't get them either... ONLY in Maestro... I'm assuming the UK's the same judging by earlier posts.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:
    I have a debit card with a maestro logo but no mC/Visa logo..can that work to order stuff online?
    on some sites... e.g. here in Ireland we can use maestro to fly with aer lingus... but not ryanair.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    I find it hard to believe that there are no debit card options across UK/Ireland with ties to either Visa or Mastercard. Guess this means I may have to keep my Aussie visa debit account open when I make my move.

I'm the same- I don't like the idea of credit, but surely there's an institution that provides such a service...
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    see you don't understand... Irish and UK debit cards DON'T have a mastercard or visa logo...

i'm looking at mine right now.. it definitely has a Visa logo

http://www.madeforone.com/news/abbeypcard1.jpg
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Hinny wrote:
    I find it hard to believe that there are no debit card options across UK/Ireland with ties to either Visa or Mastercard. Guess this means I may have to keep my Aussie visa debit account open when I make my move.

I'm the same- I don't like the idea of credit, but surely there's an institution that provides such a service...

There are options ... my bank account up until about 3 years ago was Switch (predecessor to Maestro) but it changed to Visa debit. If you want to know which bank drop me a pm. Sure there are others if you look around as well.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Hinny wrote:

every debit card is linked to Visa or Mastercard. I've always used my Visa debit card to pay for stuff off 10CC. And I live in the UK.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Hinny wrote:
    I find it hard to believe that there are no debit card options across UK/Ireland with ties to either Visa or Mastercard.

see my last post. :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    I live in the UK and used to have a maestro card... till I realised I couldn't pay for fook all over t'interwebs. I went into my bank, had a little word and they changed it to a VISA debit for me. Now I pay for everything, 10c included, with that.
    I don't think you should get a credit card if you don't want one. As Helen's said, the credit crisis is bad enough.
    Banks can be very helpful in these situations, just go to your local branch and have a word :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

you quoted me out of context :p I finished it saying how I presume it's the smae in the uk... judging by the earlier posts :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    dunkman wrote:

Awesome!

I reckon I'm gonna set up one of these using one of Helen's many drunk eye-roll photos.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    robbutland wrote:
    guess ill be downloading my 2008 bootlegs from free torrents. when/if they appear.

this sounds like a personal problem to me... :rolleyes:
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV