Options

once again, fans without credit cards left with no option....

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    you quoted me out of context :p I finished it saying how I presume it's the smae in the uk... judging by the earlier posts :p

:p

you should probably amend that post.. you know.. to save confusing a lot a people with your assumptions and presumptions ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    jxchambjxchamb Posts: 55
    HI!! On behalf of the 21st century I would like to welcome you to the year 2008. People no longer trade sticks and bread for goods and services. We now buy items through electronic means; such as a check card backed by mastercard or visa. And do you plan on traveling to the shows by horse and carriage? Because a machine called a "car" has been invented and it is a wonderful piece of machinery. Almost as wonderful as this check card that I spoke of earlier.
    But if you really are set on using the barter system I'm sure there are plenty of people on this board who would trade you an official bootleg for your sister. Or your brother. They're not picky around these parts.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    Nobody's denying that's how it IS... I just think it's a nasty way of doing business. If I could find the words to articulate the many reasons it's sick, I would.

why is it nasty or sick to require the use of credit or debit cards for purchases online? seriously? how else would one go about securing funds quickly/easily for sales and purchases? it has been covered a few times already that 10c WILL accept debit cards, they just need the visa or MC logo, both of which are EASILY available in the UK - can't say for ireland - and i would be for MOST of the world. if one wants to make online purchases, this is what they need to do. the merchant does not have to accept EVERY single credit/debit card out there. if there is merchandise YOU want, then it's best to get a credit or debit card that is accepted READILY in MOST countries/merchants. i find nothing wrong with that at all.

as to the OP, i see many have chimed in since with the same story - one CAN get a DEBIT CARD with a visa or MC logo in the UK, problem solved. if the OP and/or anyone else doesn't want to do that, fair enough, but don't make it like the 10c is leaving you with 'no options' :rolleyes:...more like one is willingly choosing to limit their own options.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    why is it nasty or sick to require the use of credit or debit cards for purchases online? seriously? how else would one go about securing funds quickly/easily for sales and purchases? it has been covered a few times already that 10c WILL accept debit cards, they just need the visa or MC logo, both of which are EASILY available in the UK - can't say for ireland - and i would be for MOST of the world. if one wants to make online purchases, this is what they need to do. the merchant does not have to accept EVERY single credit/debit card out there. if there is merchandise YOU want, then it's best to get a credit or debit card that is accepted READILY in MOST countries/merchants. i find nothing wrong with that at all.

as to the OP, i see many have chimed in since with the same story - one CAN get a DEBIT CARD with a visa or MC logo in the UK, problem solved. if the OP and/or anyone else doesn't want to do that, fair enough, but don't make it like the 10c is leaving you with 'no options' :rolleyes:...more like one is willingly choosing to limit their own options.
    well I can't get a debit card HERE with the Visa or MC logo... and I guess it's a nice choice to have alright. Either give up on the merch I want or allow the banks to buy them for me and have access to whatever it is that I want to buy and then owe the banks a percentage of that. Mmmm... no thanks.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    well I can't get a debit card HERE with the Visa or MC logo... and I guess it's a nice choice to have alright. Either give up on the merch I want or allow the banks to buy them for me and have access to whatever it is that I want to buy and then owe the banks a percentage of that. Mmmm... no thanks.

and knowing this, you have a couple of options:

1. get a credit card
    2. give a friend or family member cash and use their card for these rare purchases
    3. do without whatever merchandise it is you desire.

it's all a CHOICE. if one does not 'believe' in credit, fair enough....but that is YOUR decision, not the merchants. they are protecting themselves and their ease in processing orders by sticking with credit/debit cards with visa and MS logo b/c they ARe the most widely used and accepted, worldwide. i don't think 10c or any merchant for that matter, 'owe' it to me to offer every possible option of creidt/debit cards, i realize how things work, and honestly...i find it 100% acceptible/understandable. if i were a merchant, i'd probably be the same way, especially for worldwide online purchases.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585

couldn't have said it any better than that myself! :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    and knowing this, you have a couple of options:

1. get a credit card
    2. give a friend or family member cash and use their card for these rare purchases
    3. do without whatever merchandise it is you desire.

it's all a CHOICE. if one does not 'believe' in credit, fair enough....but that is YOUR decision, not the merchants. they are protecting themselves and their ease in processing orders by sticking with credit/debit cards with visa and MS logo b/c they ARe the most widely used and accepted, worldwide. i don't think 10c or any merchant for that matter, 'owe' it to me to offer every possible option of creidt/debit cards, i realize how things work, and honestly...i find it 100% acceptible/understandable. if i were a merchant, i'd probably be the same way, especially for worldwide online purchases.
    I never said they owe it to me... I did say I have the choice, to either not get the merch or get a credit card, which goes agains a LOT of my principles... luckily I'm not overly big into merch but it can be a pain when booking flights! It's just a discussion... I'm not saying 10c or PJ owe it to me... but I would have thought a socially conscious band like that might consider at some stage that some of their fans might be socially aware also. Most fun things these days, you need a credit card to purchase... not even CLOSE to everybody has a credit card... so really the sellers are losing out on another untapped market by not trying to come up with solutions.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    well I can't get a debit card HERE with the Visa or MC logo....

yes you can

edit: scottish people know about money... if in doubt ask dunk :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    In the U.S they sell prepaid Visa and Mastercards. People give them as gifts here. If they have that overseas that could solve your problem. They sell them at grocery stores and gas stations.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options

You dont have to owe anything on the merchandise that you buy.
    I just bought 2 tickets to fly to Boston for the Mansfield show and I don't want to pay any interest on that purchase so what I did was buy it on my credit card and then I paid my credit card the next day, credit cards don't charge interest if you pay them before the specified time (usually before the end of the billing cycle) ... I can't even imagine walking around with cash and check as my only option...
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    yes you can

edit: scottish people know about money... if in doubt ask dunk :)
    Actually... yeh I can with Hibernian.. it's the only bank that does it.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I never said they owe it to me... I did say I have the choice, to either not get the merch or get a credit card, which goes agains a LOT of my principles... luckily I'm not overly big into merch but it can be a pain when booking flights! It's just a discussion... I'm not saying 10c or PJ owe it to me... but I would have thought a socially conscious band like that might consider at some stage that some of their fans might be socially aware also. Most fun things these days, you need a credit card to purchase... not even CLOSE to everybody has a credit card... so really the sellers are losing out on another untapped market by not trying to come up with solutions.

I'm not bashing on you, I'm just really intrigued as to what are those principles that having a credit card go against, again I'm not being sarcastic I just want to know... I have credit cards and I use them responsibly, I pay them all of at the end of the month and have no balances on them, in my case its an investment because to get a good interest rate when my husband and I decide to buy a home you have to have good credit and having credit cards and using them responsibly helps me build good credit...

But you mention the socially aware fans that don't have credit card, does it mean I'm not socially aware because I do?
    I'm just confused I guess as to why you dislike credit card so much :confused:
  • Options
    You dont have to owe anything on the merchandise that you buy.
    I just bought 2 tickets to fly to Boston for the Mansfield show and I don't want to pay any interest on that purchase so what I did was buy it on my credit card and then I paid my credit card the next day, credit cards don't charge interest if you pay them before the specified time (usually before the end of the billing cycle) ... I can't even imagine walking around with cash and check as my only option...
    I like cash... and I don't like the fact that they're trying to get rid of it... all transactions will be automated and nobody'll have any money... nor will they have any use for it :( it's sad.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Actually... yeh I can with Hibernian.. it's the only bank that does it.

no its not.

not doing to well today are we Hells..

1st you say no-one in UK has them - wrong
    then you say you DONT get them in Ireland - wrong
    then you say its only one bank - wrong
  • Options
    I'm not bashing on you, I'm just really intrigued as to what are those principles that having a credit card go against, again I'm not being sarcastic I just want to know... I have credit cards and I use them responsibly, I pay them all of at the end of the month and have no balances on them, in my case its an investment because to get a good interest rate when my husband and I decide to buy a home you have to have good credit and having credit cards and using them responsibly helps me build good credit...

But you mention the socially aware fans that don't have credit card, does it mean I'm not socially aware because I do?
    I'm just confused I guess as to why you dislike credit card so much :confused:
    I just think it's ridiculous that many people are advocating getting a credit card simply cos it'll help you if you want to buy a house in the future :eek: so having bought things on credit your whole life makes you a good customer and a good candidate to give lots of money to? :confused: just none of it makes sense to me. I'm not trying to patronise anyone... but I've had dunk and others patronise me before for this line of thought and he seems to think he's somehow better than me cos he has a mortgage and a credit card :D and yet every penny I have and everything I own is actually mine :confused:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options

i never suggested you did. :)
    seems the OP might tho.

as i've said, i personally do not understand not 'believing' in credit, etc...but that's me. i also don't see why a 'socially conscious' band should be against credit either. credit can be a VERY good thing. the fact that many abuse and overextend themselves has nothing to do with the fact that credit is a very good financial tool. probably most of the homeowners in the world would not own homes without credit. i don't know many people at all without mortgages on their home, or car loans, or student loans, or a credit card.....at least one of those things. credit is VERY helpful. you or others don't want it....a-ok...but i see NO correlation between a socially conscious band and being anti-credit.

again, MOST things require a credit OR debit card with a MC or visa logo, not just a credit card. and IF sellers thought they were losing out, i am sure they'd alter their ways. apparently they think they are just fine, as i imagine them to be, so they don't. especially for worldwide/online sales....it makes total SENSE to have a secured line of credit, whether through a credit card or a debit card....otherwise it would be far too easy for payment NOT to be made....thus why online business is set up as it is. i personally do not see being anti-creidt a matter of principle at all, but that's merely my opinion. obviously, if YOU do...then you don't use it. it may be a pain to do without, but again, that is your personal choice to make.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    dunkman wrote:
    no its not.

not doing to well today are we Hells..

1st you say no-one in UK has them - wrong
    then you say you DONT get them in Ireland - wrong
    then you say its only one bank - wrong
    so who has them then? :rolleyes:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    so who has them then? :rolleyes:

you are in Ireland you should tell me.

hint: halifax
  • Options
    Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    buy yourself a gift card, they have some with visa/mc logo. or get the the Russell Simmons RUSH card.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    i never suggested you did. :)
    seems the OP might tho.

as i've said, i personally do not understand not 'believing' in credit, etc...but that's me. i also don't see why a 'socially conscious' band should be against credit either. credit can be a VERY good thing. the fact that many abuse and overextend themselves has nothing to do with the fact that credit is a very good financial tool. probably most of the homeowners in the world would not own homes without credit. i don't know many people at all without mortgages on their home, or car loans, or student loans, or a credit card.....at least one of those things. credit is VERY helpful. you or others don't want it....a-ok...but i see NO correlation between a socially conscious band and being anti-credit.
    :eek: this post alone makes me want to scream. You think credits a very good thing and you don't see why I think it might not be??????????? Have you SEEN the state of the world recently???
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    you are in Ireland you should tell me.

hint: halifax
    oops sorry, I meant halifax. Hibernians insurance I think.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    I never said they owe it to me... I did say I have the choice, to either not get the merch or get a credit card, which goes agains a LOT of my principles...

I do have to admire you for sticking to your principles. The powers that be certainly make it a lot more convenient for us to give in.

I'm like the only Pearl Jam fan who hates this Verizon partnership, and even I have a credit card.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    I do have to admire you for sticking to your principles. The powers that be certainly make it a lot more convenient for us to give in.

I'm like the only Pearl Jam fan who hates this Verizon partnership, and even I have a credit card.

all the OP and Helen need to do is get a fucking debit card with the VISA logo on it.

case dismissed

Dunkman awarded freedom of Argentina
  • Options
    I_Got_Shit wrote:

Oh I don't always stick to them. I'm in the 10club (prepaid vouchers) and I buy flights with prepaid vouchers. They really make it impossible. Sure you can LIVE without a credit card no problem... but if you wanna do stuff, it's IMPOSSIBLE! I can go to a travel agent and pay them 30euro to book my flight for me :rolleyes: but can't afford to do that every time.

SINCE WHEN DID CASH CEASE BEING LEGAL TENDER?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    oops sorry, I meant halifax. Hibernians insurance I think.

[smugness] i knew what you meant [/smugness]

all these wrong postings.. i'm doubting your integrity these days :p;)
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    well if you're a fan w/o a credit card, then that also implies that u don't have VISA/MC, which also means u're not part of the 10C which also makes me believe you're not as big a fan as everyone else and would stoop to the level to get the boots for free rather than pay the band for the service they provide that bring you so much pleasure

DAMN...that chicken issss goooood
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    :eek: this post alone makes me want to scream. You think credits a very good thing and you don't see why I think it might not be??????????? Have you SEEN the state of the world recently???

There is nothing wrong with credit... the problem is people abusing it and overextending themselves by buying things that they cannot afford. You can easily get a CC, buy let's say monthly groceries on it, and then easily pay the FULL AMOUNT every month on the card, no problems right?? But when you start buying things you cannot afford, then credit (a line of credit at a store) and credit cards can become a heavy burden.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options

SINCE WHEN DID CASH CEASE BEING LEGAL TENDER?

well in the UK the Scottish Bank note isnt legal tender in England... but the English money is legal up here... so i cant give an exact date... but it was around 1975 :)

weird huh?
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    My take on it is that Pearl Jam is a band based in the US in a society that does overall believe in credit and where virtually anyone with enough disposable income to purchase live Pearl Jam bootlegs has a credit card/debit card with a visa/mc logo/ability to buy a visa gift card/etc. That being said, fans from other countries need to adapt to the USA market to enjoy goods/services purchased from a US based company.

My company buys a lot of product from countries all over the world, and unless financial compensation is involved, it is my responsibility to make any changes to the products to make them conform to the US market (IE products purchased from Mexico typically have instructions/literature in Spanish).

There are far too many options out there for fans who do not have credit cards:
    Paypal, visa gift cards, friends with cards, debit cards with MC logo, etc for this to be a problem worthy for Pearl Jam to designate time/money/effort to change.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    chromiam wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with credit... the problem is people abusing it and overextending themselves by buying things that they cannot afford. You can easily get a CC, buy let's say monthly groceries on it, and then easily pay the FULL AMOUNT every month on the card, no problems right?? But when you start buying things you cannot afford, then credit (a line of credit at a store) and credit cards can become a heavy burden.
    Oh I can easily get a credit cart... I'm offered loads of them... I've had one... they kept putting the limit up without my authorisation. It's MUCH EASIER to spend money you don't have when you're allowed credit. It's much easier to give into a moment of pure weakness when you have access to the money. Now I've no cc... I've cancelled my overdraft, paid back my loans, my savings can only be touched with a 7 day notice... and it's MUCH better. I KNOW everything I have is mine and it feels great.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life