Options

once again, fans without credit cards left with no option....

robbutlandrobbutland Posts: 59
edited July 2008 in The Porch
guess ill be downloading my 2008 bootlegs from free torrents. when/if they appear.
If music be the food of love, play on.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    do you have a bank account? get a debit card.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    robbutland wrote:
    guess ill be downloading my 2008 bootlegs from free torrents. when/if they appear.

If you are American you can apparently get a debit credit card tied to a bank account. Dude, um, what do you expect to do, mail your cash in?
  • Options
    i have a debit card,

however orders can only be completed with visa or mastercard.

not the same thing.

boots are being done by a third party this time so i doubt they will take cash.
  • Options
    seriously... do you send these same messages to every online retailer? You can't even walk into a blockbuster and set up a rental acct without a credit card. You ever stop to think that this is your problem and not Pearl Jams?
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Yes, can't you get a CC? not hard to sign up unless you're under 18.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Vedderman23Vedderman23 Posts: 856
    Your banks debit card should be a Visa or Mastercard. Look again.
    "Fuck the talkin', let's start rocking." - E.V. 9-5-00

8/25/98, 8/21/00, 9/5/00, 4/26/03, 5/3/03, 6/24/03, 9/28/05, 10/03/05, 5/20/06, 6/23/06, EV 8/16/08, EV 6/18/09, 5/20/10, 9/15/11, 10/11/13, 10/27/13, 10/1/14, 8/20/16, 8/22/16, TOTD 11/7/16, 8/18/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/11/22, 9/14/22, 9/10/23 coming soon
  • Options
    arakiasarakias Posts: 281
    I think with a paypal account you can generate credit card numbers. And to use paypal you would just have to link your bank account.
    I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    cc's are not a part of life in the uk. they are an option. not an essential.

you can sign up for anything as long as u have drivers licence, utility bill or a passport.

not everyone wants credit. which is why i think its unfair that debit cards arent accepted.
  • Options
    Your banks debit card should be a Visa or Mastercard. Look again.

it's a maestro. debit.
  • Options
    balwal78balwal78 Posts: 74
    robbutland wrote:

You need to build a credit profile. Please apply for one.
    Shows Attended:1996-09-28|1996-09-29|1998-08-29|1998-09-18|2000-09-02|
    2000-10-08|2000-10-09|2003-04-19|2003-04-28|2003-05-03|2005-09-15|
    2005-09-16|2008-06-16|2008-06-19|2008-06-20|2008-06-22
  • Options
    snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    robbutland wrote:

you can sign up for anything as long as u have drivers licence, utility bill or a passport.

not everyone wants credit. which is why i think its unfair that debit cards arent accepted.
    my debit card is a mastercard.
  • Options
    robbutland wrote:

You would have a point, IF debit cards weren't also able to be used as Mastercards. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't ALL debit cards given that option???
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    i know HOW to get a credit card, but at the end of the day PJ has a wide audience. UK fans are limited to how much we can participate just because the people in charge of the store and the boots think every mother on the plant has a fucking credit card.

in some countries the idea of not having a credit card is alien. but in a country where credit is just an easy way into debt, most people stick to debit cards.
  • Options
    You would have a point, IF debit cards weren't also able to be used as Mastercards. Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't ALL debit cards given that option???

No. Credit cards are provided by a third party. e.g. they pay for things on our behalf and bill you every month.

Debit cards comes directly from your account.
  • Options
    snipes824 wrote:
    my debit card is a mastercard.

and i see you live in america.

in the uk it is different. and i was just wondering if there is a reson why debits arent accepted. im not asking anyone forr financial advice!!!!
  • Options
    I live in the USA but I use my debit card which is eithe rvia or mastercard easily. I use pre-paid debit cards that I get and reload with cash weekly for online stuff. Nothing attached to a bank account.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    robbutland wrote:
    it's a maestro. debit.

maestro is the same as mastercard. you can use your debit card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_(debit_card)

stop complaining.
  • Options
    I don't own a credit card and buy all my things (online and otherwise) with my debit card.

Sorry, sounds like you're just lazy and looking for a reason to justify downloading music for free.
  • Options
    thanks for the advice on the master card, i didn't know you could do that.
  • Options
    I don't own a credit card and buy all my things (online and otherwise) with my debit card.

Sorry, sounds like you just lazy.

i shop online all the time with my debit card. its not a problem in this country.

not getting a credit card isn't lazy its just me not wanting one because i dont believe in credit.

and im not the only one on these boards that was flocking to get to the threds posting the 2006/2007 boots for free.

im not a thief. but when reduced to one option what else can you do?
  • Options
    ZAPPERZAPPER Posts: 246
    as someone else mentioned, you can now generate a one time use Paypal online debit card (mastercard) you only need a paypal account.
    Previously known as Elzar
  • Options
    ZAPPER wrote:
    as someone else mentioned, you can now generate a one time use Paypal online debit card (mastercard) you only need a paypal account.

thanks, ill look into it. this thread has been very helpful. even if a little insulting.
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    robbutland wrote:
    and i was just wondering if there is a reson why debits arent accepted.
    That's a question to ask them, not us. There could be many reasons why they only accept Visa and MasterCard.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    scw156scw156 Posts: 442
    robbutland wrote:
    thanks, ill look into it. this thread has been very helpful. even if a little insulting.

you sir, are patient.

most other people would be going off by the 2nd or 3rd insult
    The Sentence Below Is True
    The Sentence Above Is False
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    robbutland wrote:
    i shop online all the time with my debit card. its not a problem in this country.

not getting a credit card isn't lazy its just me not wanting one because i dont believe in credit.

and im not the only one on these boards that was flocking to get to the threds posting the 2006/2007 boots for free.

im not a thief. but when reduced to one option what else can you do?

i have never understood this. seriously. granted, i am american and maybe it's our mentality, but i just don't get it. do you not ever plan on getting a home with a mortgage? that's 'credit'...and actually building good credit thru a credit card helps build a stellar credit score, thus more apt to get better rates on home loans, car loans if that's your thing, etc. thing is, i have had a credit card most of my adult life and if used properly, it's like an interest-free loan every month if you pay your bill in full each month. it's an excellent financial tool. *I* get way more out of my credit card than they do me...i don't think i have ever carried a balance nor paid any fees....but i have gotten monthly interest-free loans, cash back, airmiles for free travel and yes...built my credit score.

and, you have more than one option.

1. easiest option - get a credit card. they are VERY handy, and will help you get things you want - such as pearl jam boots.

2. borrow a creidt card from a relative or friend, pay them cash up front, easy.

3. get a debit card with a MC or visa logo.....problem solved.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    it just amuses me that people often give the impression that giving advice annoys them, and they are above it...

yet they DO give it.
  • Options
    PJ20PJ20 Miami, FL Posts: 94
    Also, at some stores you can get prepaid cards that act just like gift cards but can be used to buy anything. I'm not sure if they have them in other countries. You do have to pay a fee to use them so check that out before buying.

http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/aboutourcards/gift_prepaid/

http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/prepaid/index.html
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    robbutland wrote:

I think it's funny that people are insulting you when America is in the middle of a credit crisis that's basically fucking up our entire economy.

I'm doing my part to help by spending my economic stimulus check on concert tickets and bootlegs.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    I have a VISA electron, it works fine - paid my 10c membership with it, I use paypal with it, and I also paid my plane tickets, concert tickets and hotel stays with it... had no problems. :) I guess it just depends on your bank, what kind of possibilities they have with their electron or debit cards. and im from Finland.
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    i have never understood this. seriously. granted, i am american and maybe it's our mentality, but i just don't get it. do you not ever plan on getting a home with a mortgage? that's 'credit'...and actually building good credit thru a credit card helps build a stellar credit score, thus more apt to get better rates on home loans, car loans if that's your thing, etc. thing is, i have had a credit card most of my adult life and if used properly, it's like an interest-free loan every month if you pay your bill in full each month. it's an excellent financial tool. *I* get way more out of my credit card than they do me...i don't think i have ever carried a balance nor paid any fees....but i have gotten monthly interest-free loans, cash back, airmiles for free travel and yes...built my credit score.

and, you have more than one option.

1. easiest option - get a credit card. they are VERY handy, and will help you get things you want - such as pearl jam boots.

2. borrow a creidt card from a relative or friend, pay them cash up front, easy.

3. get a debit card with a MC or visa logo.....problem solved.

with respect,

the average house price in the UK is well over £200,000 ($400,000) for a 3 bed, as well as this fuel/gas is well over £1.25 ($2.50) a litre now.

mortgage? you must be fucking joking. i pay £450 a month rent for a house THREE ROOMS not three bedrooms, and that is classed as cheap.

i work full time, whilst completing a degree.

i reiterate, credit shouldnt be a part of life. no offence to you personally but the UK is in the deepest shit we've ever experienced because of anyone an d everyone getting credit. i dotn want any part of it.

i appreciate we're well beyond bootlegs now, but i feel a point needs to be made that credit CAN BE dangerous.

how can i save up £30,000 for a mortgage deposit?