Obesity only here in the USA ?

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    if you think of food as being like heroin, it might be easier to understand how people might get ginormous.
    i'd say i have really bad will power... so i understand why people might not be able to turn away from some foods..

some people really are HUGE though, and don't admit they have a problem.
    my mom has a good friend like this - her husband kind of encourages it because he just tells her he "likes women with a little meat on their bones". Little is an understatement, she can't fit into chairs with armrests.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:
    You didn't tell me if you liked the song I posted for you. I thought it pretty much closed the issue.
    Tenderness is a lovely word. So is Smile.
    We are all a work in progress but to answer your couple of questions. I happen to think it is realistic to see the best in everyone. It is what we all want for ourselves so its what we must do for others. Yes, I like everyone I meet. No I don't, I quietly say to myself forgive them for they know not what they do. I had some experiences as of late that have opened my heart and I am as I said a work in progress but no I am not judging people anymore. It is wrong. I want to treat others always the way I want to be treated. I am trying to live by the golden rule consciously every day. Our friendly conversation I have hoped will help us both.

well of course I liked the song, it's Otis Redding!!!!

I think sometimes the best might not amount to much though, and sometimes it doesn't out weigh the bad in a person, like in paedophiles and serial killers. Like I said before, I have compassion for that lost child inside them who didn't choose to have an awful upbringing, and for that reason alone I am against the death penalty. In fact I remember when I was about twelve, hearing on the radio about a convicted killer who was going to be executed the next day, and I was absolutely distraught because all I could keep thinking was that this guy probably had a family and friends who cared about him and how much they would suffer losing him. You can probably imagine the state I was in after watching Dead Man Walking - I don't think I've watched it again since.
    I don't support the death penalty either for the same reason basically. I didn't see that movie even with the Eddie connection- I thought it to upsetting also. Yes Otis Redding I love him so. I really like the version of the song from the Duets movie too sung by Paul Giamatti and Andre Braugher this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0kpA9gNB4Q- if you haven't seen the movie you may like it. Andre does an unbelievable Freebird at the end no matter how often I see it I always cry, its a very sad ending. "Lord knows I can not change" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOG-guq8 ... re=related Well just thought I'd share.
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    haffajappa wrote:
    if you think of food as being like heroin, it might be easier to understand how people might get ginormous.
    i'd say i have really bad will power... so i understand why people might not be able to turn away from some foods..

my mom has a good friend like this - her husband kind of encourages it because he just tells her he "likes women with a little meat on their bones". Little is an understatement, she can't fit into chairs with armrests.

I agree. It's hard to say no sometimes to foods we like and taste good but are crap. I didn't read this whole thread...i read where people are blaming anyone but themselves for being fat...which is crap. Decide to eat better and you can gradually change your eating and lose the weight. I have made that change...slowly but surely over the last two months and have lost 15 pounds. I lived on fast food and junk. I didn't think I could go a day without it. You know what? I can, and I did. I didn't blame McDonald's for offering me McNuggets and my inability to say no. I hate that reasoning.

Grow up and take responsibility.

Yeah Americans are the fattest. It's easier and cheaper to eat crap. It's still not the "man's" fault. It's still a daily choice.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    pandora wrote:
    I really like the version of the song from the Duets movie too sung by Paul Giamatti and Andre Braugher this- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0kpA9gNB4Q- if you haven't seen the movie you may like it. Andre does an unbelievable Freebird at the end no matter how often I see it I always cry, its a very sad ending. "Lord knows I can not change" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOG-guq8 ... re=related Well just thought I'd share.

Not seen that film, but enjoyed both those videos, that guy Andre has an amazing voice, and Free Bird acapella - very nice!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,624
    this is why new york is looking to pass the soda tax

no it's not. it's just an excuse for ny liberals to rape its citizens more.

philly dems are trying to do the same thing.
    www.myspace.com
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    Lizardjam wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

I agree. It's hard to say no sometimes to foods we like and taste good but are crap. I didn't read this whole thread...i read where people are blaming anyone but themselves for being fat...which is crap. Decide to eat better and you can gradually change your eating and lose the weight. I have made that change...slowly but surely over the last two months and have lost 15 pounds. I lived on fast food and junk. I didn't think I could go a day without it. You know what? I can, and I did. I didn't blame McDonald's for offering me McNuggets and my inability to say no. I hate that reasoning.

Yeah Americans are the fattest. It's easier and cheaper to eat crap. It's still not the "man's" fault. It's still a daily choice.
    Ahhh...American's and their funny philosophy of "free choice"...what choice do you have that is actually "free" of any constraints (money, time, etc.). To make a moral judgment based on an individual's size is just silly. Besides for most age ranges it's more unhealthy to be "underweight" than "overweight", why aren't there any threads on how disgusting thin people are and asking about why they can't eat more.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    RW81233 wrote:
    why aren't there any threads on how disgusting thin people are and asking about why they can't eat more.

Perhaps because purposeful under-eating is considered an eating disorder, whereas over-eating can be due to many different factors. Some people's over-eating may be due to emotional triggers, whilst some people lack the motivation to learn how to eat a more healthy diet, and others are just plain bored. I think it's for this reason that over-eating is not really defined as an eating disorder, despite in some cases sharing many common aspects as accepted eating disorders.

If an over-weight person ate an appropriate number of calories in relation to the calories they burn in a day, and of the right foods, the vast majority would be able to lose weight. The same is not necessarily true for people who are naturally extremely lean. I have a friend who eats whatever he likes and drinks loads of beer and is still tiny, the tops of his arms are as skinny as my wrists. I'm not sure there is really a lot he can do about that, other than eat stupidly huge amounts of calories. It's not necessarily that these people are defying the laws of thermo-dynamics or anything, it's just that their bodies use up a lot more energy than most people's do.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,276
    RW81233 wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Ahhh...American's and their funny philosophy of "free choice"...what choice do you have that is actually "free" of any constraints (money, time, etc.). To make a moral judgment based on an individual's size is just silly. Besides for most age ranges it's more unhealthy to be "underweight" than "overweight", why aren't there any threads on how disgusting thin people are and asking about why they can't eat more.

Go ahead and start one , i was making an observation thread because i was just in Italy ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I want a little of that "unexplained weight loss" in my lifetime. I know its often listed as a symptom of a dreaded disease but whatever
    and I always think 'unexplained weight loss and this is a bad thing?" sounds pretty good to me. Can you image getting on a scale just once and have it say 10lbs lighter for no apparent reason, thats like a dream come true!
    pandora wrote:
    I want a little of that "unexplained weight loss" in my lifetime. I know its often listed as a symptom of a dreaded disease but whatever
    and I always think 'unexplained weight loss and this is a bad thing?" sounds pretty good to me. Can you image getting on a scale just once and have it say 10lbs lighter for no apparent reason, thats like a dream come true!

Heheh I used to think that too! But no, i think it would be worrisome...

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    RW81233 wrote:
    why aren't there any threads on how disgusting thin people are and asking about why they can't eat more.
    Because for every anorexic person in America, there are 500 obese people.
    i'm kind of confused i guess cos i've only skipped over most of this thread but are people actually insinuating that being obese doesn't pose a threat to your health?
    haffajappa wrote:
    i'm kind of confused i guess cos i've only skipped over most of this thread but are people actually insinuating that being obese doesn't pose a threat to your health?

I think i read that in this thread too.....

Lizardjam wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

unless the blockage of arteries actually helps your cardiac system..
    haffajappa wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

And it's considered exercise to walk around with all the extra weight...it's like weight lifting for your heart and bones!

Lizardjam wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:

And it's considered exercise to walk around with all the extra weight...it's like weight lifting for your heart and bones!
    yes and letting your heart carry a load of 5x the average person......... is healthy.........
    haffajappa wrote:
    Lizardjam wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

yes and letting your heart carry a load of 5x the average person......... is healthy.........

It's a workout! heheh :roll:

RW81233 wrote:
    Two, in the U.S. we live in a society that now privileges thinness (because it is a marker of social class and has become the norm in regard to attractiveness), this is different from 1800s and 1900s when being fat meant you were rich enough to consume a lot of food (therefore no social stigmatism).
    so privileges based on being fat are okay, but based on being skinny are immoral?
    haffajappa wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:
    Two, in the U.S. we live in a society that now privileges thinness (because it is a marker of social class and has become the norm in regard to attractiveness), this is different from 1800s and 1900s when being fat meant you were rich enough to consume a lot of food (therefore no social stigmatism).
    so privileges based on being fat are okay, but based on being skinny are immoral?
    hell no...i was just pointing out that body size discrimination is rooted in class discrimination. i don't like either.
    haffajappa wrote:
    not insinuating...I am stating it as actually recognized scientific evidence that being in the "overweight" range is actually better for your health than being "normal". however the higher and lower you go the worse it is for you.

p.s. jose i usually agree with you on things, and didn't mean to pick on your thread i've just been doing research on this for the past year plus.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,680
    If you just look at the antiquated measure called bMI, then things get murky and you can call a lot of "overweight" people healthy. Personally, I am 5-6 and pretty solid as far as muscle mass and a little fat. My BMI makes it look like I am very overweight, but if you look at the more scientific measures, my body fat composition is pretty healthy. I distance run, play baseball, and get like one cold every 3 years... but "BMI" says I am overweight, and does for many fit people. BMI isnt a very good measure, but its convenient.

So if you take BMI out of the equation, there are a ton of "fat" and inactive people and that is increasing. There is a problem with that. Body mass isnt always unhealthy, but excessive fat is.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    edited April 2010
    RW81233 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:
    not insinuating...I am stating it as actually recognized scientific evidence that being in the "overweight" range is actually better for your health than being "normal". however the higher and lower you go the worse it is for you.

p.s. jose i usually agree with you on things, and didn't mean to pick on your thread i've just been doing research on this for the past year plus.
    Just curious, but do you have any links?

I've always heard/read that even a few pounds over weight can reduce lifespan and calorie reduction can slow down the aging process, so long as you're getting all your nutrients. Everything I'm finding online points to this conclusion. I'd like to read about the other study.

Anyways, obese people are usually 30 or more pounds over weight. I don't think we are talking about people who are a few pounds over.
    Post edited by LikeAnOcean on
    RW81233 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

but the thread is about obesity... not moderately overweight people..........
    MayDay10 wrote:
    If you just look at the antiquated measure called bMI, then things get murky and you can call a lot of "overweight" people healthy. Personally, I am 5-6 and pretty solid as far as muscle mass and a little fat. My BMI makes it look like I am very overweight, but if you look at the more scientific measures, my body fat composition is pretty healthy. I distance run, play baseball, and get like one cold every 3 years... but "BMI" says I am overweight, and does for many fit people. BMI isnt a very good measure, but its convenient.

So if you take BMI out of the equation, there are a ton of "fat" and inactive people and that is increasing. There is a problem with that. Body mass isnt always unhealthy, but excessive fat is.
    i agree, my dad is a fit guy for his age (almost 60... go dad!) but he's japanese and is naturally short... his BMI says he is obese... and he's not even like some sort of muscle man, just an average fit guy.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    There are exceptions - one thing I notice when I go to NYC, is that I see very little obesity. New Yorkers walk everywhere - even if you take the subway you are constantly going down stairs, up stairs, walk a few blocks. Granted, the obese might be more likely to drive or take cabs I guess, but since I don't do those when I"m in the city, I can't tell regarding that. There needs to be more activity, as well as people eating less and in a more healthy manner.

Portions here are ridiculous. When we go just over the border into Canada, if you get a sandwich at Tim Horton's it is much smaller than the size of the average sandwich here. And it feels like the right size to me, not too small.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
    JaneNY wrote:
    There are exceptions - one thing I notice when I go to NYC, is that I see very little obesity. New Yorkers walk everywhere - even if you take the subway you are constantly going down stairs, up stairs, walk a few blocks. Granted, the obese might be more likely to drive or take cabs I guess, but since I don't do those when I"m in the city, I can't tell regarding that. There needs to be more activity, as well as people eating less and in a more healthy manner.

Portions here are ridiculous. When we go just over the border into Canada, if you get a sandwich at Tim Horton's it is much smaller than the size of the average sandwich here. And it feels like the right size to me, not too small.
    I remember in London a couple years ago i went to a mcdonalds and these americans ordered a meal, when they saw the size of the cups they were shocked and kind of pissed off that they were given such "small" pops
    i laughed...

i had been wondering before what the timmys portion sizes would be in the US, because even here they are smaller compared to other places... i mean the drinks anyways.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    JaneNY wrote:
    it feels like the right size to me, not too small.

TheOffice-ThatsWhatSheSaid-Michael.jpg
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,276
    RW81233 wrote:
    haffajappa wrote:

Hey no i totally respect your opinion it's been great to read everyone's perspective on the subject matter 8-) it's healthy communication/awareness ... :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It's a problem. Even at the University I'm at, the meal plan is HORRIBLE food. I haven't gained the 'freshman' 15 but I would like to be 10-15 pounds lighter than I am.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V