Favourite Stephen King Books?

Comments

• afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

:lol::lol: So true...finally read IT over the holidays (1090), then I read the Talisman (768), and now I'm reading Under the Dome (1074)...384 is nothing for a SK book..

:lol: I have to say, for as long as Under the Dome was, I flew through that book. Will be interested to hear what you think of it when you're done with it!

I'm really enjoying it so far...I have a little over 300 pages to go..so I may finish it by the end of this weekend.
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Maybe sometime soon. textbooks keep me pretty busy

I recommend you read The Long Walk by his pseudonym Richard Bachman. It's short and a very quick read. A super intense book tho.

384 pages is not short

It has very generous margins. It felt more like 679 pages than the 1100 it actually has :lol:

Has anyone read "The Wind Through The Keyhole" yet?
  • STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I received an EMAIL from STEPHEN KING's newsletter

He JUST announced he published a NON FICTION essay or short book about guns.
    The title is "GUNS"

I am really interested in reading it soon. Has anyone else had a chance to read it yet?
    :?:
    STAYSEA wrote:

The title is "GUNS"

I am really interested in reading it soon. Has anyone else had a chance to read it yet?

I saw that today too...I haven't read it yet, but it's only 99 cents (Kindle Single) so i may check it out. :think:
    afroannnie wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:

The title is "GUNS"

I saw that today too...I haven't read it yet, but it's only 99 cents (Kindle Single) so i may check it out. :think:

Twitter me... if you do?
    social media :lol:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:

The title is "GUNS"

Twitter me... if you do?

I'll let you know if I read it. :thumbup:
    kw18 wrote:
    I think The Green Mile is the only one I ever read. Amazing book, though!

If you liked that book, you should check out some of his others. They're all pretty damned good.

i have so many SK books that I haven't read yet... :fp: including the Green Mile...I started getting the individual volumes when it first came out years ago...but I'm missing a couple..
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,857
    The Stand is not only my favorite SK book, but also my favorite book ever (to the great disapproval of my English professors in university... an english major's favorite book is supposed to be something much more high brow :roll: :lol: ). I just had to buy a new copy of it because my old one was read to shreds.

My other faves are:
    The Long Walk
    The Running Man
    The Shining
    Christine
    ... many more.

11/22/63 or whatever it's called is really good (even though it loses track a bit near the end I thought) - you really have to have read IT for it to make complete sense. IT is also very good, but slightly tedious at time IMO. Still good enough for me to have read it three times.

Love Stephen King!!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul wrote:
    The Stand is not only my favorite SK book, but also my favorite book ever (to the great disapproval of my English professors in university... an english major's favorite book is supposed to be something much more high brow :roll: :lol: ). I just had to buy a new copy of it because my old one was read to shreds.

My other faves are:
    The Long Walk
    The Running Man
    The Shining
    Christine
    ... many more.

11/22/63 or whatever it's called is really good (even though it loses track a bit near the end I thought) - you really have to have read IT for it to make complete sense. IT is also very good, but slightly tedious at time IMO. Still good enough for me to have read it three times.

Love Stephen King!!!

The Stand

If you haven't read it, do it. One of the great American Novels. His best book. Has so many good ones, but this is the one.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    edited January 2013
    STAYSEA wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:

The title is "GUNS"

Twitter me... if you do?

It was Stephen King.
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
    Awkward.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited January 2013
    "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon"

There is also a pop up book version.

ISBN
    Post edited by STAYSEA on
    STAYSEA wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Awkward.

Why do you feel that way? You were the bully!

You should feel Awkward. And kinda like another name for a donkey.

I have no feelings, for this.

Pj soul.. I find your twits cumbersome and tired... but I lived on.
    Today, after that... I give up.

You are just another H8r.

Soak it up. Feel good and mighty.
    No idea what you're talking about.
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Awkward.

Why do you feel that way? You were the bully!

You should feel Awkward. And kinda like another name for a donkey.

I have no feelings, for this.

Pj soul.. I find your twits cumbersome and tired... but I lived on.
    Today, after that... I give up.

You are just another H8r.

Soak it up. Feel good and mighty.
    No idea what you're talking about.

Enlighten my tiny brain....
    STAYSEA wrote:
    STAYSEA wrote:

Twitter me... if you do?

It's a choice. I unfollowed. A Twitard of yours said I should. Long before I ever knew you and I were clubbers, we Tweeted, and it was fun. I thought it was strange when I got a second party message. Oh well, I have my own King Opinions and that is with my Twits.
    :yawn:

Others speak for you? WOW? Afro good luck #wlf.

No Hat for you.
    Just kidding... if you join, and swear oath... I'll tell Ellie..

Maybe not now, cause I got hurt feelings and stuff.

Uh..ok..I'm confused...I have a twitter account..but I don't really use it that often..I really only signed up to follow the #dirtyfranking to MT last year. I did get a weird message the other day about bugging people to follow them, but i just ignored it.. :? I think the only thing I twitted recently was about the Wrigley show...so..yeah...anything else wasn't me...it seems twitter in particular is subject to random stuff like that.

Anyway...back to the subject of the thread...I'm going to go finish up Under the Dome!
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Um ... OK. :?

Anywho ...
    oona left wrote:
    Has anyone read "The Wind Through The Keyhole" yet?

I read that over my winter break and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a good story, and helped add a little bit to the Dark Tower mythos. If nothing else, it was nice to slide back into that world for a bit.
    afroannnie wrote:
    I'm going to go finish up Under the Dome!

That was a great book! I breezed through it in about two weeks. I almost wonder if King wrote it with television in mind because of the quick scene cuts throughout. Maybe with the book as a template and Brian K. Vaughn as the writer, the TV show may not be so awful ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Reading 11/22/63 now... Like it a lot... But ending (about 80 pages to go) is a bit meh...
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Reading 11/22/63 now... Like it a lot... But ending (about 80 pages to go) is a bit meh...

Hmm. I can see that. Where you're at (if I recall correctly) is a bit different from the rest of the book. But keep going ... I enjoyed how it wrapped up quite a bit.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    kw18 wrote:

Hmm. I can see that. Where you're at (if I recall correctly) is a bit different from the rest of the book. But keep going ... I enjoyed how it wrapped up quite a bit.
    I shall!!
    GoiMTvP.gif
    kw18 wrote:

I shall!!

Agree..keep going Adam! :D
    kw18 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

That was a great book! I breezed through it in about two weeks. I almost wonder if King wrote it with television in mind because of the quick scene cuts throughout. Maybe with the book as a template and Brian K. Vaughn as the writer, the TV show may not be so awful ...

Yep..it definitely seems like that...it will be interesting to see how it translates to TV..
    afroannnie wrote:
    kw18 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:

Yep..it definitely seems like that...it will be interesting to see how it translates to TV..

I think it could work fairly well. It was as violent or grotesque as some of King’s other works could be, so I don’t think it’d be too much of an issue in that regard. Plus, Vaughn has shown his writing chops on TV before with Lost (some of my favorite episodes were credited to him). Fingers crossed!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    Yeah, the book suddenly goes off course near the end (I guess at least it was unexpected :? )... But still, it was a REALLY entertaining read! Liked it a LOT!
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,576
    I just pre-ordered Joyland and Doctor Sleep off Amazon. Those 2 will bookend the summer. I still have to read A Wind Through the Keyhole. Will read the Shining again before Dr. Sleep comes out.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    My 7 Fugazi albums just arrived! Excited_Emoticon_by_jaderid.gif Edit.... Oops. Wrong thread. I guess I'm just too excited. :lol:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    My 7 Fugazi albums just arrived! Excited_Emoticon_by_jaderid.gif Edit.... Oops. Wrong thread. I guess I'm just too excited. :lol:

:lol: That's OK ... I'm pretty sure King is a huge Fugazi fan. :shifty:
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:

"Under the Dome premieres June 24 on CBS."

:clap::clap::clap::clap:
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    afroannnie wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Woohoo!!! I'm sooo stoked about this!!! :D
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    afroannnie wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

Woohoo!!! I'm sooo stoked about this!!! :D

Me too!! I loved the book. Reading Black House now..really enjoying that one too. I love SK! :D