Favourite Stephen King Books?

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,664
    that is what I suspected for Under the Dome. I think it is a full run of episodes, so they would need to generate material. Makes me a bit nervous.
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    MayDay10 wrote:
    that is what I suspected for Under the Dome. I think it is a full run of episodes, so they would need to generate material. Makes me a bit nervous.

Yeah...I have a feeling it won't live up to the book. That being said, I still plan to watch it... :lol:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    its kind of strange when SK says that he saw it, noticed they added a lot of stuff, and said some people wont like it.
    We like the story because SK wrote it and did a good job. I dont want CBS's producer-told stories.

One regret I have of SK's career, is I wish he kept a tighter lid on film/TV adaptations.
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    MayDay10 wrote:

One regret I have of SK's career, is I wish he kept a tighter lid on film/TV adaptations.

It's kind of a double-edged sword, I think. Most of the adaptations are crap, for sure. But had he kept a tighter lid, people who wanted to see adaptations of his work would get upset. (Speaking as a long-time comic geek who waited years for a Spider-Man and X-Man movie, I can understand this.)

Besides, the movie adaptations of his earlier works (Carrie, Shining, Cujo) arguably helped make him more famous.

His Dollar Baby policy is pretty awesome, too.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,580
    Some good info here. Interesting to hear it might stretch on longer. I thought it was just going to be more of a mini-series but I guess if the ratings are good it could come back for another season.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/under-dome-10-things-know-560750
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
    Wow, they are really using the theme and running with it... numerous seasons?!

That would be awesome with The Stand. You can literally make that one go for a nearly indefinite period of time between the outbreak and the final events. I am still hoping for a true-to-book cable series though.
    Under the Dome seems too limited of a scope for multiple seasons.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,857
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Wow, they are really using the theme and running with it... numerous seasons?!

That would be awesome with The Stand. You can literally make that one go for a nearly indefinite period of time between the outbreak and the final events. I am still hoping for a true-to-book cable series though.
    Under the Dome seems too limited of a scope for multiple seasons.
    It sounds to me like they are just going with the general gist of the book, but turning it into a permanent state of affairs for the town, creating original scenarios, etc. It's not a remake of the book I bet. I bet it's just inspired by the book. It that's just a guess, but if they're planning on multiple seasons I don't see how they could stick to the actual story... I want to know how they'll handle the pollution factor in that case... invent some way to control it??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    there are all sorts of things. Pollution, resources, medical needs, etc.

It sounds like they want to make this into sort of a "Lost"
    Under the Dome tonight, who's ready to watch?
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
    dougfloyd wrote:
    I'll be watching! ... hope it's good.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I posted this in the Book Thread...

Upcoming tv ad for Stephen Kings sequel to "The Shining"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... smyZGrS91A
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,365
    I'm currently listening to Wind Through The Key Hole on CD. It's very weird. My 1st time listening to a book.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Jealous that you guys in the U.S. are getting Under the Dome tonight. Not read much else other than SK for about 12 months. 're-read some books too that I'd read in my teens. The guy is a master
    Happy up here in my tree
    Jealous that you guys in the U.S. are getting Under the Dome tonight. Not read much else other than SK for about 12 months. 're-read some books too that I'd read in my teens. The guy is a master
    Sometimes all I feel like reading is SK. At times I have to actually convince myself to read something else... Not because there aren't a ton of other great books to read... I just always KNOW that an SK book will entertain me, so it always seems like the easiest choice.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    15 minutes!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,710
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    dougfloyd wrote:
    I'll be watching! ... hope it's good.

Simpsons did it! ;)
    Simpsons-movie-dome-1.png
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,723
    Simpsons did it! ;)

Simpsons-movie-dome-1.png

:lol:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
    I did not read this book yet. What happened to the cop at the end? It looked like he was shot but the other cop didn't react like he was shot. Not bad so far.

Under the Dome, more like Under the Commercials. The amount and length of the commercial breaks was embarrassing.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028
    Anyone else think that Under The Dome last night was embarrassingly bad compared to the book?

We should be used to TV mangling books (for every GoT there are 10 bad adaptations) but my wife asked me halfway through the episode last night "I thought you said the book was good?" and I had to explain that almost every character / scene was different or not like the book.

Two thumbs down after the first episode. I will keep DVR-ing to see how they change the whole story but damn I thought that sucked. :( Was hoping it would be cool - maybe the changes will end up being OK as the story plays out and it will get better.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I did not read this book yet. What happened to the cop at the end? It looked like he was shot but the other cop didn't react like he was shot. Not bad so far.

Under the Dome, more like Under the Commercials. The amount and length of the commercial breaks was embarrassing.
    I didn't actually watch it yet - it's on my PVR - but if it's anything like the book, was it that the cop's pacemaker exploded?

I do not expect this to be as good as or the same as the book - I have low expectations, so I doubt it will be that bad. Ads won't be an issue - that's what PVRs are for. :)
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I didn't actually watch it yet - it's on my PVR - but if it's anything like the book, was it that the cop's pacemaker exploded?

I do not expect this to be as good as or the same as the book - I have low expectations, so I doubt it will be that bad. Ads won't be an issue - that's what PVRs are for. :)

I guess that was it. I didn't know they could explode and break through your skin.

Still FF through multiple 5 min commercial breaks is annoying.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

I guess that was it. I didn't know they could explode and break through your skin.

Well, the point is that's what the dome does. People can't go within a yard or two of it if they have pace makers or hearing aids, etc because it will kill them, and digital cameras and cell phones and stuff get destroyed near it too.
    I suggest you read the book before you watch any more of the show. :)
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Well, the point is that's what the dome does. People can't go within a yard or two of it if they have pace makers or hearing aids, etc because it will kill them, and digital cameras and cell phones and stuff get destroyed near it too.
    I suggest you read the book before you watch any more of the show. :)

exactly... the dome is some kind of force field, therefore it has energy...clearly electro magnetic energy... hence the cops heart or whatever exploding. as for breaking through the skin... its way more dramatic than having the cop just drop to the ground and us have zero clue as to why.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Anyone else think that Under The Dome last night was embarrassingly bad compared to the book?

We should be used to TV mangling books (for every GoT there are 10 bad adaptations) but my wife asked me halfway through the episode last night "I thought you said the book was good?" and I had to explain that almost every character / scene was different or not like the book.

Two thumbs down after the first episode. I will keep DVR-ing to see how they change the whole story but damn I thought that sucked. :( Was hoping it would be cool - maybe the changes will end up being OK as the story plays out and it will get better.

After seeing enough SK adaptations, I've set my expectations significantly low enough for this show so I won't be disappointed, but there was a lot of eye rolling going on, haha :roll: Glad I watched it on DVR so I could fast forward through the commercials.
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2018 - Wrigley
    dougfloyd wrote:

After seeing enough SK adaptations, I've set my expectations significantly low enough for this show so I won't be disappointed, but there was a lot of eye rolling going on, haha :roll: Glad I watched it on DVR so I could fast forward through the commercials.
    Yeah, ditto. It met my low expectation. :lol: But I guess to be fair, we must remember that was the pilot. Things often improve quickly after the pilot.
    But I was still pretty irritated that the show is actually only loosely based on the book, really. So many of the details and characters and relationships have been changed, it's really not the same thing at all. I thought what they did to Nonnie and Joe's characters was particularly lame. They should have kept them as 12 or 13, and kept that as friends who already knew each other. I'm not interested in a Nonnie who is a problem teenager from out of town and Joe who has a wimpy personality. Weak. And that they can't be heard through the dome is really stupid.
    hmmm. I have it on DVR. Im unsure if I even want to bother anymore
    MayDay10 wrote:
    hmmm. I have it on DVR. Im unsure if I even want to bother anymore
    They are only 40 minutes in, and already changed almost EVERYTHING about EVERYONE. I'll give it another episode or two, and if it doesn't get a lot better fast, I'm going to drop it.
  • youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,576
    **New Stephen King Book to be release June 3rd**

Mr. Mercedes
    Release Date: June 3rd, 2014

To be released in June 2014, Mr. Mercedes is Stephen's next major publication from Scribner.

In the frigid pre-dawn hours, in a distressed Midwestern city, hundreds of desperate unemployed folks are lined up for a spot at a job fair. Without warning, a lone driver plows through the crowd in a stolen Mercedes, running over the innocent, backing up, and charging again. Eight people are killed; fifteen are wounded. The killer escapes.

In another part of town, months later, a retired cop named Bill Hodges is still haunted by the unsolved crime. When he gets a crazed letter from someone who self-identifies as the “perk” and threatens an even more diabolical attack, Hodges wakes up from his depressed and vacant retirement, hell-bent on preventing another tragedy.

Brady Hartfield lives with his alcoholic mother in the house where he was born. He loved the feel of death under the wheels of the Mercedes, and he wants that rush again. Only Bill Hodges, with a couple of highly unlikely allies, can apprehend the killer before he strikes again. And they have no time to lose, because Brady’s next mission, if it succeeds, will kill or maim thousands.

Mr. Mercedes is a war between good and evil, from the master of suspense whose insight into the mind of this obsessed, insane killer is chilling and unforgettable.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    wow. out of the box. Going midwestern town instead of a Maine town
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    MayDay10 wrote:
    wow. out of the box. Going midwestern town instead of a Maine town

And coming out mid-year? Has SK gone mad?! :crazy:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2