Favourite Stephen King Books?

Comments

• kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    I just finished Talisman and Black House after going several years without reading any King. I enjoyed Talisman, though I thought it was too ... directionless. Seemed like it was just an adventure for the sake of an adventure; the MacGuffin wasn't very interesting. Black House, on the other hand, was much better more intriguing to me. It's plot was firmer and more interesting, and a better, more broad cast of characters. Just a richer read.

Also, as usually, I'm sad to leave a protaganist I had grown to care about. But then I read there might be another sequel with good 'ole Travelin' Jack ... would love it!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • dougfloyddougfloyd Fishers, IN Posts: 2,580
    Not sure if anybody saw this, Under the Dome is coming to CBS next summer:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stephen-king-under-dome-cbs-summer-395495
    1998 - Noblesville
    2000 - Noblesville
    2010 - Noblesville
    2011 - EV solo St Louis, PJ20 Alpine Valley
    2012 - San Fran (Oracle)
    2013 - Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincy, St Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Lexington, Wrigley
    2018 - Wrigley
    2022 - Nashville, St Louis
    2024 - Noblesville, Wrigley
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,388
    dougfloyd wrote:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/stephen-king-under-dome-cbs-summer-395495

Whoa!!! This is pretty exciting but I'm nervous at the same time. I absolutely LOVED this book, but there were so many characters and King's work has a tendency not to translate well when put on screen. But it worked for the Stand...so I'm hopeful. (Except for that cheesy hand of God at the end :lol: ) It'll be interesting to see if they stick with the book's ending as well. Thanks for sharing!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    dougfloyd wrote:

Whoa!!! This is pretty exciting but I'm nervous at the same time. I absolutely LOVED this book, but there were so many characters and King's work has a tendency not to translate well when put on screen. But it worked for the Stand...so I'm hopeful. (Except for that cheesy hand of God at the end :lol: ) It'll be interesting to see if they stick with the book's ending as well. Thanks for sharing!

I'm re-reading The Stand right now. So good!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
    Has anyone read the graphic novels from King's work? I've read most of the DT ones (really good!) and the first one of The Stand. I hadn't bothered with the rest. There's one chapter of The Talisman out there, but I don't think they've done anymore ... They also did one of N.; I haven't read that one yet, though, nor the original short story.

Any good? What are people's thoughts on seeing more of his stories in comic form? He has such a large number of stories, it could keep artists busy for years!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    Has anyone read the graphic novels from King's work? I've read most of the DT ones (really good!) and the first one of The Stand. I hadn't bothered with the rest. There's one chapter of The Talisman out there, but I don't think they've done anymore ... They also did one of N.; I haven't read that one yet, though, nor the original short story.

Any good? What are people's thoughts on seeing more of his stories in comic form? He has such a large number of stories, it could keep artists busy for years!

I bought the first Dark Tower issue and thought it was cool, but was waiting for them to come out all at once. When they did I never got around to buying them. The Stand one looks cool.

If you go to stephenking.com there is an online one up called "The Little Green God of Agony". They were putting up a page a day a while ago so most of it is probably up now. I haven't gotten around to reading all of it yet.
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,522
    I like Stephen King's ideas.

The premises for ALL of his books are pretty amazing.

I always have a problem with the ENDING of all of his stories. They just seem so haphazard.

The one ending I was OK with was in The Stand... it made a lot more sense than most of the endings of his books... Especially his latest works like Cell and Under the Dome (although, I really like Under the Dome, too... the ending left me a little cold)
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
    5/9/22 - Glendale, AZ
    5/18/24 - Las Vegas, NV
    kw18 wrote:

I read most of the DT ones and the Stand ones as well....I would definitely recommend N, I really loved that story.

I think it's great that he's got so much out there in so many different mediums...the man is a genius imo.

I would also recommend the Dark Tower Concordance books if you don't have them, great references!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    djklambake wrote:

I always have a problem with the ENDING of all of his stories. They just seem so haphazard.

The one ending I was OK with was in The Stand... it made a lot more sense than most of the endings of his books... Especially his latest works like Cell and Under the Dome (although, I really like Under the Dome, too... the ending left me a little cold)

I really couldn't agree more! I have to say that the Under the Dome ending was just a little too Twilight Zone for my liking. I think he is a great storyteller and that is where his strength lies...when it comes to finishing the tale, it tends to fall flat.

I did, however, love the DT ending...I'm prepared for the hate on this one :lol:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    djklambake wrote:

I really couldn't agree more! I have to say that the Under the Dome ending was just a little too Twilight Zone for my liking. I think he is a great storyteller and that is where his strength lies...when it comes to finishing the tale, it tends to fall flat.

I did, however, love the DT ending...I'm prepared for the hate on this one :lol:

I rather liked it! I felt the wheels of the stories were coming off those last couple books, likely because so much time had passed between 4 and 5, but I still enjoyed the ride. Like some, I was disappointed there wasn't more of a showdown between Roland and some of the main baddies, but I felt the ending worked well (we create our hells, after all).

It also in some ways reminded me of a Neil Gaiman story that I don't want to say for fear of spoiling the DT ending for anyone ...
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

I read most of the DT ones and the Stand ones as well....I would definitely recommend N, I really loved that story.

I think it's great that he's got so much out there in so many different mediums...the man is a genius imo.

I would also recommend the Dark Tower Concordance books if you don't have them, great references!

I'll have to check out N. ... and pick up the prose shortstory, too. A buddy of mine has the Concordance books .... and I may have to *borrow* those ...

King also wrote the origin story of one of the characters in American Vampire, a horror comic that's pretty good. Kind of wish he did more horror comics!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    rrivers wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

I bought the first Dark Tower issue and thought it was cool, but was waiting for them to come out all at once. When they did I never got around to buying them. The Stand one looks cool.

If you go to stephenking.com there is an online one up called "The Little Green God of Agony". They were putting up a page a day a while ago so most of it is probably up now. I haven't gotten around to reading all of it yet.

I'd pick up the rest of the Dark Tower issues. I think they're coming out with a massive omnibus hardcover consisting of the first five hardcover books, which cover the fall of Gilead. They're pretty fantastic, and I'd highly recommend reading them.

I'll check out the one online when I get home from work ... thanks for the head's up!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    I rather liked it! I felt the wheels of the stories were coming off those last couple books, likely because so much time had passed between 4 and 5, but I still enjoyed the ride. Like some, I was disappointed there wasn't more of a showdown between Roland and some of the main baddies, but I felt the ending worked well (we create our hells, after all).

It also in some ways reminded me of a Neil Gaiman story that I don't want to say for fear of spoiling the DT ending for anyone ...

That's awesome! I get a lot of flack for my opinion on that :lol: Although yes I agree that it was getting sketchy there...Song of Susannah was definitely not a fave of mine...and for pete's sake could Mordred's end have been any more anti-climactic? I won't say any more because I don't want to ruin it either, but I will say that I'll never forget reading for the first time Roland finally walking toward the tower. After all those books, all those stories, I felt like I was there with him. I was actually listening to Yield when I got to that part and at the very end All Those Yesterdays was on...it gives me the chills thinking about it, it was so perfect and fitting!
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    djklambake wrote:

Agree on Under the Dome. Not on DT, but to each his own!

Some endings I liked:

Pet Sematary
    Storm of the Century
    11/22/63
    kw18 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

I'll have to check out N. ... and pick up the prose shortstory, too. A buddy of mine has the Concordance books .... and I may have to *borrow* those ...

King also wrote the origin story of one of the characters in American Vampire, a horror comic that's pretty good. Kind of wish he did more horror comics!

Oh I do have that american Vampire comic. I don't think I ever finished it. It was good though. Will have to dig it out.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,664
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    dougfloyd wrote:

I liked Under the Dome a great deal. For its length and limited scope, I thought it was very fast moving and intense.

Movie/Series adaptation is always very sketchy. One thing I wish is that SK was more selective with the movie rights of his books and ran a very tight ship. There are a lot of awful ones out there. More than good ones. Some of these movies almost completely twist the story around, which alters the public's perception of the original books (which will transcend time IMO).

I really thought one of the best ones was The Mist. Nailed it. However, they for some reason decided to create some alternate twisted ending that overshadowed the whole story.

The Stand wasnt butchered, but deserves so much more than that ABC series gave.

I thought SK's The Shining is so much better than Kubrick's (which is what so many people consider as "The Shining").

Carrie was altered quite a bit

Salem's Lot was awful compared to the novel
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    dougfloyd wrote:

I liked Under the Dome a great deal. For its length and limited scope, I thought it was very fast moving and intense.

Movie/Series adaptation is always very sketchy. One thing I wish is that SK was more selective with the movie rights of his books and ran a very tight ship. There are a lot of awful ones out there. More than good ones. Some of these movies almost completely twist the story around, which alters the public's perception of the original books (which will transcend time IMO).

I really thought one of the best ones was The Mist. Nailed it. However, they for some reason decided to create some alternate twisted ending that overshadowed the whole story.

The Stand wasnt butchered, but deserves so much more than that ABC series gave.

I thought SK's The Shining is so much better than Kubrick's (which is what so many people consider as "The Shining").

Carrie was altered quite a bit

Salem's Lot was awful compared to the novel

I loved The Mist … thought it was fantastic. And the ending … whoa, boy, what a killer ending! Read an interview with King where he said he wished he thought of that ending!

Did you ever see the network TV version of The Shinning? It was closer to King’s book, but not nearly as good (re: see “network TV version.”)

But I actually really like how King will sell the rights to his stories so readily and so cheap … it allows people to interpret his work and get it out there instead of miring it in litigation and negotiations and whatnot. He just wants his work to be shared to the broadest audience, and there’s something to be said about that.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    About a third of the way through The Wind Through the Keyhole right now. I'm liking it, and I’m glad King found a way to bring back the characters I love so much for another round.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Holy crap!!!! Just went to a discount book seller and found a dozen of the 37 Red Leather Library set in good condition for $3 a piece. Not sure of the value, but on Amazon, there are used ones of a couple of the these for over $500 each.

Yo, Brian - you out there? Does this make sense?

Unfortunately, this is the start of a new collection obsession. :fp:
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
    kw18 wrote:
    About a third of the way through The Wind Through the Keyhole right now. I'm liking it, and I’m glad King found a way to bring back the characters I love so much for another round.

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read that yet. I think part of me feels like once I do, Roland's world will be closed to me forever! :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read that yet. I think part of me feels like once I do, Roland's world will be closed to me forever! :oops: :oops: :oops:

It was good ... the story within the story (and the story within the story within the story) is pretty good. A nice, final glimpse into Roland's world ...

... of course, it's not really. You should check out the graphic novels. I've read most of them, and they're pretty darn good.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

It was good ... the story within the story (and the story within the story within the story) is pretty good. A nice, final glimpse into Roland's world ...

... of course, it's not really. You should check out the graphic novels. I've read most of them, and they're pretty darn good.

Already have ;) I pretty much devour anything DT related. But this one book I'm just holding onto so I have one thing left. Yeah I'm a nerd.
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I think The Green Mile is the only one I ever read. Amazing book, though!

If you liked that book, you should check out some of his others. They're all pretty damned good.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
    kw18 wrote:

If you liked that book, you should check out some of his others. They're all pretty damned good.

Maybe sometime soon. textbooks keep me pretty busy

I recommend you read The Long Walk by his pseudonym Richard Bachman. It's short and a very quick read. A super intense book tho.
    Mamasan23 wrote:

I recommend you read The Long Walk by his pseudonym Richard Bachman. It's short and a very quick read. A super intense book tho.

384 pages is not short
    Mamasan23 wrote:

384 pages is not short

In Stephen King terms it is! :lol:
  • afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Mamasan23 wrote:

384 pages is not short

:lol::lol: So true...finally read IT over the holidays (1090), then I read the Talisman (768), and now I'm reading Under the Dome (1074)...384 is nothing for a SK book..
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
    afroannnie wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

384 pages is not short

:lol::lol: So true...finally read IT over the holidays (1090), then I read the Talisman (768), and now I'm reading Under the Dome (1074)...384 is nothing for a SK book..

:lol: I have to say, for as long as Under the Dome was, I flew through that book. Will be interested to hear what you think of it when you're done with it!