ever just know

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Lauri wrote:

it is an art to do *nothing* well....and well, i am an artist. :mrgreen:
    i can happily sit out in my garden ALL day, glass of wine in hand...magazine in lap. hell, the magazine isn't even necessary. nor the wine - tho it does make it so much better. just *being*....listening to nature, to the fountain gurgle, the dogs play, bliss! can do the same at a park, almost anywhere....and oftentimes, so much more restorative than going away, traveling - tho i LOVE that! - and besides...infinitely less expensive. plus, you don't have to pack. :lol:

I do nothing all the time, but I'm pretty bad at it. Usually when I'm doing nothing it's because I have so many things I should or could be doing that I can't organize/decide which one to do so I just check out. I do nothing at least 3 week nights a week, and then usually most of the weekend. And then it always happens that suddenly it's friday night and I haven't made any weekend plans yet, so when I wake up on saturday, the only thing I can think of to do is work out or clean, and I'll often procrastinate on those and not even get them done. Like tomorrow, it's supposed to be sunny (though a little cold) and I would like to go for a bike ride. But because I haven't organized with anyone or planned anything, I might not even get to do that (I don't have a route mapped, I'm not prepared to go too-too far into the suburbs alone, etc). My only option then is to go on the really crowded bike path (death trap) which is only a 20-mile ride, and I'll probably just think "why bother?" Haha weekends actually really stress me out!

I do enjoy sitting on my porch and stuff, but being ADHD things like this can be problematic for me.

True, packing, flying, etc are stressful! I wonder though if I would find them as stressful if I were going to do something fun and didn't need to worry about anyone else, wasn't cramming too much into a tiny period, etc. You know, an actual "vacation."

Can't you just plan things last minute with a friend or maybe even call a fella to go out spontaneously?

Have you ever thought that it may be depression?
  • CorsoCorso Posts: 201
    Lauri wrote:
    that you need a vacation? I've been feeling it for a while, but the past few weeks have been especially rough- it's been really hard to focus. I dunno what the purpose of this post is, just airing grievances I guess. There's no way I can take a vacation.
    Read your replies and I Identify with the situation. I am stuggling with similar issues.
  • LauriLauri Posts: 748
    edited March 2010
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Can't you just plan things last minute with a friend or maybe even call a fella to go out spontaneously?

Have you ever thought that it may be depression?

No no, it's not a depression thing, definitely more of a time-management issue. I really don't have many friends in the area (ok I have about 2-3), and the few around don't really like to do the same things and they're not really "spontaneous phone call" types of people. If I want to go for a long bike ride with others, I have to find an organized club, meetup, etc. As it's just getting to be spring, things just aren't very organized yet.

I haven't socialized with my local friends very much in recent years. They don't seem to want to do stuff, and they have a lot more disposable income so if they are doing something they're usually off doing stuff with their romantic partners or whatever.
    Post edited by Lauri on
    Corso wrote:
    Read your replies and I Identify with the situation. I am stuggling with similar issues.

Actually that makes me feel better for some reason! Not that misery love company, but I don't feel like most people I know would identify. I know it's not a "big" problem in the grand scheme of things, but it seems to get worse when it's just pent up inside!
    Lauri wrote:
    Corso wrote:

Actually that makes me feel better for some reason! Not that misery love company, but I don't feel like most people I know would identify. I know it's not a "big" problem in the grand scheme of things, but it seems to get worse when it's just pent up inside!

This is good for whatever it means to you. Also not taking it as misery loves company is correct. I was not trying to convey that but only to let you know that you are not alone in your struggle. It is not a big problem in the grand scheme of things you are right.
    When Henry Rollins felt down, he used to put on a cape and sing some of Ronnie James Dio's more vengeful songs. He used a carrot or a piece of celery as a microphone.

You'll never know unless you try it!
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    When Henry Rollins felt down, he used to put on a cape and sing some of Ronnie James Dio's more vengeful songs. He used a carrot or a piece of celery as a microphone.

dio is like 2 feet tall. if he wore a cape it'd have to be the size of a hankerchief.
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

dio is like 2 feet tall. if he wore a cape it'd have to be the size of a hankerchief.

All the better for him.....saves money on costumes!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

All the better for him.....saves money on costumes!
    very true! \m/
    You'll never know unless you try it![/quote]
    dio is like 2 feet tall. if he wore a cape it'd have to be the size of a hankerchief.[/quote]

All the better for him.....saves money on costumes![/quote]
    very true! \m/[/quote]

When it comes to post 70's and pre-90's Dio knowledge, I am most often correct. Recognize!
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Well, I guess someone had to:
    anim-hog-sad-violin-cry.gif
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Well, I guess someone had to:
    anim-hog-sad-violin-cry.gif

To a degree I understand your point, but it's not my intention to come off like that. While there is just an element of frustrating and restlessness though, there's also a very real problem that I've realized it's affecting my work. I gutta take a break and clear my head somehow or it's just gonna get worse.
    For what it is worth to you I like bicycles. I like riding bicycles. I would go on a bike ride with you.
    Corso wrote:
    For what it is worth to you I like bicycles. I like riding bicycles. I would go on a bike ride with you.

haha thanks. I don't think I know where base camp is though :).
    ok I just caught glimpse of my friend's vacation photos from Costa Rica...so not fair...
    edited December 2011
    Lauri wrote:
    Corso wrote:

haha thanks. I don't think I know where base camp is though :).
    :)
    Post edited by Corso on
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Just booked a vacation in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico! Can't wait! 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Just booked a vacation in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico! Can't wait! 8-)
    very nice! i've been busy making travel arrangements for my boss, lookin forward to making some plans for myself at some point! :)
    man, I started this post back in March and it's only really gotten worse. I am losing all ability to concentrate on work, and that's really bad because I'm getting swamped for the summer. I think there is just something that happens when you come into the office day after day without ever having a real good break or having one to look forward to...it just gets too much like, "well I'll be here again tomorrow, why not procrastinate?" I don't know, I really think my lack of vacation is affecting my work. A couple years ago I might have thought that's a bunch of bull, but it's becoming really clear to me.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    people find their real selves on vacation
    I might have left my real self in Bermuda
    it is a most wonderful place
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    pandora wrote:

ahhhhhhhhh...bermuda.
    the adventures i had in that place pre-mr. dream. ;)
    i had a spring-break fling that turned into a long-term, long-distance affair, actually went to england to meet his family! :o he wanted to get married (he was older)....i sooooo did not want to, and that was that. :D however, the interim.......FUN! love bermuda! :lol:

my 9 day staycation starts tonight!!!
    i am soooooooooo ready!
    8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

pandora wrote:

ahhhhhhhhh...bermuda.
    i had a spring-break fling that turned into a long-term, long-distance affair, actually went to england to meet his family! :o he wanted to get married (he was older)....i sooooo did not want to, and that was that. :D however, the interim.......FUN! love bermuda! :lol:

i am soooooooooo ready!
    8-)
    ENJOY!!!!!
    pandora wrote:
    ENJOY!!!!!

i will, i will, i will!
    i think i have perfected the art and appreciation of a good staycation.
    sometimes there really is no place like home!
    so restorative...and inexpensive too!
    ;)
    :lol:

tho the wine tab does add up... :? :mrgreen:8-)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

pandora wrote:
    pandora wrote:

ahhhhhhhhh...bermuda.

i am soooooooooo ready!
    8-)
    ENJOY!!!!!
    What she said :D I'm lookin forward to my 3day weekend for my birthday. Hoping to take more time off come next month too, I have mega hours I need to use up!
    What she said :D I'm lookin forward to my 3day weekend for my birthday. Hoping to take more time off come next month too, I have mega hours I need to use up!

:mrgreen:
    i'll be making our anniversary weekend a 3-day celebration, and that will burn up the last of my vacation hours. *right* on time...as july 1st is the start of our fiscal year, and brand-new vacation balance.....22 more days! 8-)
    i will never have mega-hours to burn up....i always use em, plan em all out early...spread the love around each year! :lol:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

i'll be making our anniversary weekend a 3-day celebration, and that will burn up the last of my vacation hours. *right* on time...as july 1st is the start of our fiscal year, and brand-new vacation balance.....22 more days! 8-)
    i will never have mega-hours to burn up....i always use em, plan em all out early...spread the love around each year! :lol:

dream our vacations begin in a few hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

dream our vacations begin in a few hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

that's right!
    you're off to even hotter miami!
    8-)

i'll be chillin' in the garden on the island. :mrgreen:

mine starts even earlier than anticipated...out for drinks with colleagues at 3pm...wooohoooo!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

that's right!
    you're off to even hotter miami!
    8-)

i'll be chillin' in the garden on the island. :mrgreen:

mine starts even earlier than anticipated...out for drinks with colleagues at 3pm...wooohoooo!

sweeeeeeeeeet enjoy 8-)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    sun9821.jpg
    In case I miss it sending a sunny birthday wish your way !! 8-)
    Good timing! I only have the mega hours cuz the dimwits in HR forgot to increase my monthly accrual after my 10th and 15th anniversary at work, so I got a crapload of hours bestowed to my balance which has now made it go over the limit. Hoping PJ does some shows in the fall to help burn it up! :D

Thanks Pandora, I can use that glass right now! lol