Lincoln Oct 9, 2014
    Telluride July 9, 2016
    Boston Aug 5 & 7, 2016
    Chicago 20 & 21, 2016
    New York Apr 7, 2017
    Seattle 8 & 10, 2018
    Missoula Aug 13, 2018
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    also, if you want to eat the best sushi meal of your life, go to bayside queens. you can catch a train there from penn station (right next to msg). pm me if you're interested and 'll get you the info. low key hole in the wall type spot, but really the best fish you'll ever eat. its called mickey's place.
    That's really funny. Mickey's used to be in Forest Hills and is my mom's favorite sushi. She will now travel the 10 miles from FH to Bayside to eat sushi... This person knows the deal...

i started going when it was in forest hills as well. lot of family friends make the trip from there. its like a fucking cult.

btw, are you rooskie by any chance?
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • trevorj wrote:
    YieldToNothing, what record stores would you recommend? Thanks!
    People still buy music? And record stores are still open?
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Just remembered one of my favourite NYC stores, Idlewild Books: http://www.yelp.com/biz/idlewild-books-new-york

They specialize in travel books but there are a great variety of interesting books that make for great browsing.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Most likely the very first "Diamond In The Rough"
    a certified National Landmark
    http://www.green-wood.com/

Not your traditional tombstone and grave cemetary,
    this place is like a living fairy-tale, all smack dab in the middle of Brooklyn, NYC .
    Its the worlds second largest cemetary ( theres only 1 larger- located somewhere in France )
    The place has its own zipcode and police force.
    There are multitudes of famous people interred within Green- Wood ,
    including Harry Houdini , Leonard Bernstein, Boss Tweed, Charles Ebbets, & Jean-Michel Basquiat ,
    as well as many of the Revolutionary War Dead .
    Some of the sculptures here are like none you have ever seen before ! -
    its really something.

Another excellent resource to help you get there ( or anywhere from wherever you may be starting out from ) is http://www.hopstop.com .

Enjoy the Pearl Jam shows and enjoy our city.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Thanks guys for all the helpful information. This will be my first trip to NY and I liked what you all suggested so far. Anyone have any more suggestions on places to go? I'd appreciate it.

~L~
    I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun.....
    I wanna race..with the sundown..I want a last breath..I don't let out...
  • pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    I'll add my voice to Central Park. On the east side, you can hit The Met, which can be free if you don't want to make the "suggested donation." On the west side, the Natural History Museum.

Here's a helpful guide to the record stores: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2 ... ll_op.html
    Bleecker St. is my favorite. I've had some problems with the quality of used LPs at Generation.

You wanna spend a few, okay, many hours book shopping on the cheap, of course go to The Strand, 12th and Broadway. You don't even have to check your bag anymore!
    For lefty/political books and magazines, St. Mark's Bookshop.

Italian pastries: Veniero's, 11the St. between 1st & 2nd Ave.
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    also, if you want to eat the best sushi meal of your life, go to bayside queens. you can catch a train there from penn station (right next to msg). pm me if you're interested and 'll get you the info. low key hole in the wall type spot, but really the best fish you'll ever eat. its called mickey's place.
    That's really funny. Mickey's used to be in Forest Hills and is my mom's favorite sushi. She will now travel the 10 miles from FH to Bayside to eat sushi... This person knows the deal...

i started going when it was in forest hills as well. lot of family friends make the trip from there. its like a fucking cult.

Well back a few generations, but I am more jewy that rooskie :mrgreen:
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Suziemay wrote:
    Just remembered one of my favourite NYC stores, Idlewild Books: http://www.yelp.com/biz/idlewild-books-new-york

They specialize in travel books but there are a great variety of interesting books that make for great browsing.
    Excellent call, but if we are going to do bookstores, do not leave out the Strand. I have spent days and days in the basement and not even close to going through it all...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • YieldToNothingYieldToNothing Posts: 3,667
    btw, are you rooskie by any chance?[/quote]
    Well back a few generations, but I am more jewy that rooskie :mrgreen:[/quote]

haha, me too. the family friends that turned us on to mickey's are more rooskie than jewy. thick accents and such. my parental units....definitely more cholent than borscht.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
    Well back a few generations, but I am more jewy that rooskie :mrgreen:[/quote]

haha, me too. the family friends that turned us on to mickey's are more rooskie than jewy. thick accents and such. my parental units....definitely more cholent than borscht.[/quote]
    Ahhh this made my day :D
    The Mrs. has already started the prep work for next week and I am in charge of the Charoseth.

P.S. DON'T EAT THE CHAROSETH!!!! :shock:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    PrlJam27 wrote:
    McSorley's is a must for some great beer with some cheese and crackers!!!

do they still kick you out if your not drinking ??? i remember when i use to go there it was $1 pints and once you stopped drinking they told you to leave cause there was always a line outside trying to get in ...
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • If you want to check out some good/cool/weird/interesting Art for FREE :

-Take a walk up and down all the blocks in the Meatpacking Distrcit and walk in and out of all the different galleries.

-Start by going to the Flag Art Foundation and check out a fun/unique show, curated by Shaq, yep, Shaq, it's called "Size Does Matter" (End Mays 27th), his curatorial debut. Its a really fun show and some of the work is great/hilarious and interesting, all big and small sized art.

-From here just walk up and down all the adjacent blocks and there 100's of galleries

-Also while in this area, you can check out the Highline, or Highline Park, or whatever, its ok to me, some peoplr love it it alot, its an on elevated subway line that they converted into a park. Pretty interesting, cool architecture and views along the highline

If you like BBQ, a few that I enjoy are :
    -Fette Sau - my absolute favorite but a little off the beaten path in Brooklyn, well worth it!
    -Hill Country - Not too bad considering midtownish location and not too expensive
    -R.U.B. - Last resort for me, but the pork bnelly bites here are to die for(you will die after eating too much)
    Italian - Carmines or Crispos (many others)
    -Walking in Central Park is one of my free faves
    -Taking the Staten Island Ferry roundtrip is FREE and AWESOME, amazing views, cheap beers on board!
    -Catching a game at CitiField or Yankee Stade
    -Cheap decent hot dogs by MSG - Grays Papaya
    -You can get ANYTHING ;) delivered to your apt, except Philly Boots
    -If you want to grab a cheap beer around showtime and dont want to be in a packed bar,(some prefer this), go into one of the deli/bodegas on 8th ave and if they have seating upstairs(many do) you can grab a bunch of beers and hang there for a while (2$ beers)
    just some things that popped into mind
    so much more, like others said NYC is friendlier than its ever been IMO,
    If lost or need any info/directions etc, ask anyone on the street, they will most likely be glad to help
    Have fun
  • demaydemay Posts: 67
    For Italian, gotta try Milano. Pricey, but worth it.

Pizza: Grimaldi's. Lombardi's is a decent 2nd choice. Don't get too cute with toppings..margherita is where it's at.

bagels: Murray's.

for the carnivores who want the best hamburger you'll ever eat, go to Peter Luger's steakhouse in Brooklyn for Lunch. They serve a hamburger for $8 that will rock you. You'll scoff at paying more than $5 for a mediocre burger ever again. only for lunch, though. don't miss the fries, either, or the giant tomato slice. goes nice with a scotch and snobby servers.

Oslo makes a good espresso...though it's Cafe Vita from Seattle so it may not be that exotic. Blue bottle is still king...

take the subway. walk around Soho and the Village.

The MOMA is pretty awesome. I'm also a fan of the Whitney.

Central Park is big and for the folks who are used to nature, too crowded and not nature enough.

the promenade out in Brooklyn is great...

tough place to live...awesome place to visit.
  • tough place to live with how expensive it is and the ineptitude that is prevailing among the MTA and clowns in Albany, but also the highline park area is very nice and relaxing.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • GirlInRedGirlInRed Posts: 166
    this is a great place to catch a free show.they have up & coming as well as established acts. it's right off the water and there are a few bars with happy hours on fridays. a great way to hang out in the nice weather
    http://seaportmusicfestival.com/
    there once was a note...LISTEN !
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Thanks guys for all the info. Keep it up.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    a couple of more suggestions:

If you dont make it to chinatown, try Wu Liang Ye on 48th street, near sixth; get the Dan Dan noodles!

Check out an authentic deli (i usually would recommend the second avenue deli, but i havent been to it since it moved):
    http://www.katzdeli.com/

If you dont make to to Queens for the previous sushi recommendation -- try Yasuda, near Grand Central (it will blow your mind, but very expensive).

http://www.sushiyasuda.com/

If you make it to the upper west side -- Levain bakery - 74th and Amsterdam - best cookies in the city!

Grays papaya (not to be confused with papaya king) -- great hot dogs; open 24 hours; best value you will get.

Check out the Grateful Dead exhibit at the New York Historical Society
    https://www.nyhistory.org/web/default.p ... id=5798416

Otherwise, you cant go wrong with MOMA, Metropolitan Museum, the Whitney, or the Guggenheim
    Also - some good food suggestions here-- "lost new york" - its always cool to check out a place thats been doing it the same way for 100 years or so! (See Katz Deli above)
    http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2009/02/a ... o_dis.html
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,854
    I did this walking tour with my bro one day/evening-no shit we walked the whole way

Start 12 noon at the oyster bar in grand central-oysters and bloody marys (dont order any entrees they are expensive and they are disappointing-as is the clam chowder (but if they have it the lobster gazpacho is fantastic). Sit at the very small bar directly opposite the entrance-tell marcello adam sent you. :mrgreen:
    Walk down park after, walk down park avenue south towards 23rd st-check out madison square park, union square (farmers market if its in season) head over to third avenue, walk down to the east village, st. marks/ninth street
    turn south and head to Mcsorleys on seventh st. grab a few beers and then go to burp castle if its open (one off the coolest places-monks serve fresh made beer and they sush you if you make too much noise)
    head over to the bowery and head south towards houston
    head east on houston and go to Katz's deli and spilt one pastrami and one corned beef sandwich (just rye bread and mustard-nothing fancy here)
    head south and you can check out the lower east side-perhaps grab a coffee at one of the cool shops
    head over to canal street and check out china town (wo hop is great but you need to know what to order-chili crabs are the house specialty-messy and hard work but delicious) My favorite chinese is not in china town but is an authentic sichuan place (grand sichuan on 2nd ave between 55th and 56th streets-its real sichuan-dont order beef and broccoli here-you will be disappointed)
    You can also skip chinatown and head over to broadway, washington square park, nyu area
    head west towards the west village and the meatpacking district
    grab a few cocktails at one of the outdoor cafes like pastis (not my favorite place (service can suck) but its nice to sit outside and have a drink or two) or hit the white horse tavern on hudson street
    walk back up towards union square park and grab a shack burger and a shake at the shake shack.
    walk off a day of excessive eating and drinking by walking back to grand central

these are the parts of the city I like most
    avoid Times Square and Rockefeller center like the plague-you will get annoyed by the pedestrian traffic.
    shops? The soho boutiques are nice but very pricey seriously, Ive always wondered who actually shops at those stores. Fifth avenue between 49th and 59th, along with 57th street between park ave and 7th ave are where you will find the flagship stores of all the luxury brands.
    central park is a must see, but it is what it is, a park.
    the museum of natural history is my favorite museum, with the met second
    there is a grateful dead exhibit running at the new york historical society-so if thats your thing
    the upper west side and the upper east side have some nice restaurants and bars, but they are very residential
    head downtown for the cool stuff

couple other things, Im loving this tapas place called bocqueria on 19th-pricey but wow, great wines and tapas
    Sushi-if you like traditional sushi-sushi yasuda-some of the best on the planet-but its $$$$$-sit at the sushi bar, ask for omakase and just eat whatever they hand you-better than Tokyo I tell you
    If you like nouveau sushi-sushi of gari on EAST 79th-same deal-ask if Gari is there, and get the omakase
    well worth it

tis all

EDIT NYCPJ: some similar suggestions there!!! :lol::lol:
  • Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I too am going to NYC for the first time and its great to get first hand knowledge of off the beaten path locations. The types of places you can't often find in guide books.

Thanks again :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Gorge
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Just remembered I saved these links to check them out for myself. NYC is culinary HEAVEN! NY Times and Time Out reviews I trust. Also Zagats. Enjoy!

Coffee: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/10/dining/10coffee.html

Cupcakes: http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/own ... d=TD031410

Teahouses: http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/res ... d=TD031410

Brunch happy hours: http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/res ... d=TD031410
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    Take (or buy) a good pair of shoes and walk as much as you can. I never get tired of just walking for a few hours in New York - pick a direction and head there. It. Go from Times Square to Brooklyn Bridge on foot and meander through the streets - you find some gems (and rhinestones) ehe.
    Take (or buy) a good pair of shoes and walk as much as you can. .
    GREAT ADVICE

gore tex helps in case its wet :mrgreen:
  • This is great info! Thanks 10c members! You are awesome!
    Stay with me...Let's just breathe.
  • Gozzo64Gozzo64 Posts: 120
    I would recommend the following:

Solomon Guggenheim Museum

Nori's Restaurant (www.norinyc.com)

Visit the Chelsea Hotel to see the art if not stay there.

Toasties, 6 E 48th Street

Top of The Rock, Observation Deck at Rockefeller Centre

and if there another time:

NYC 5 Boros Bike Ride

Enjoy.

s
    Gozzo
    Montreal '98
    Toronto '00
    Buffalo Toronto '03
    Kitchener London Hamilton Toronto '05
    Late Show NYC Toronto x2 Cleveland Pittsburgh Mountain View '06
    Hartford Mansfield '08
    Toronto Philadelphia x3 '09
    Cleveland Buffalo Mountain View x2 '10
    East Troy x2 Toronto x2 Ottawa Hamilton '11
    London Buffalo '13
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Get_Right wrote:
    tis all

that's all?!?! :lol::lol:

thanks adam...i might do that :mrgreen:
    norm wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    tis all

that's all?!?! :lol::lol:

thanks adam...i might do that :mrgreen:
    no worries :mrgreen:
    Enjoy your trip
    any other questions?
    :lol::lol:
  • angiebabyazangiebabyaz Posts: 148
    Great suggestions!! thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!
    Phoenix 1992
    San Francisco OSL 2009
    New York City MSG 1&2 2010
    EV Santa Barbara 2011
    Alpine Valley 2011
    Philadelphia, Missoula 2012
    EV Las Vegas 1 & 2, Phoenix 2012
    Chicago, Brooklyn, Dallas, OKC, Phoenix, Seattle 2013
    Memphis, Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver, Bridge School 2014
    Porto Alegre, São Paulo, Rio de Janeiro 2015
    Jazz Fest, MSG II, RIDE Fest, Fenway, Wrigley, Ohana 2016
  • melva02melva02 Posts: 298
    The best egg cream is at Gem Spa (which is a news stand, not a spa). It's in the East Village, I think around 2nd and St. Mark's. And since apparently an egg cream is a NY thing, as I was sad to find when I moved to VA, you might need to know that an egg cream is milk and syrup with soda, like fizzy chocolate milk. Way more than the sum of its parts and always made with Fox's U-Bet chocolate syrup (btw Passover starts next week and is the only time to get your kosher for Passover supplies for the year, Fox's U-Bet and Passover Coke made with real sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup!).

The East Village would be a good place to combine record stores, vintage stores, and some cute little shops selling weird stuff like kitschy housewares and toys. And get an egg cream.

If you feel like walking down a few blocks to the Lower East Side (south of Houston St), check out the pickle places. Pickle Guys is on Essex Street. There used to be others but I'm not sure what's still open.

If anyone is staying in NJ, check out Harold's, a great Jewish deli in Edison (the Harold's in other towns aren't the same). If you eat there, they have an all-you-can-eat pickle bar. If you order a bunch of sandwiches to go, they give you a whole loaf of bread with it because there's so much extra meat on the sandwiches you can make them into many more normal sized sandwiches.

Melissa
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 787
    how about cabs? Will I need to take a cab ride to different locations on occasion?