The PJ sell-out debate ends here

Comments

• this is it, i've had it. i hate pearl jam for making money. they used to be cool millionaire rock stars who pretended to be poor. now that they are not pretending anymore, i don't like them.
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Posts: 4,509
    i'm 31 so i don't know what it means to be a sellout anymore.
    but i do know what it means to survive.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• f-bombf-bomb Posts: 99
    Wow.

When I read the original post I figured it was a joke and made-up - perhaps some left-over bitterness from getting shutout of tickets today or something. I am not sure how I feel about this.......still digesting. I have felt in the last few years like I have been getting fleeced more and more with the Ten Reissue, Ames Book, Gorge Boxed set etc. Huge fan and I am willing to pay for all these products that keep popping up and there is a definite demand so I understand (and appreciate!!). But playing for the Target Managers meeting....this is very different from the Pearl Jam that blew my mind and helped to shape my principles back in '93........

Ain't it funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind?
  • CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    This band can do what they want. They are far from sell outs. So whoever calls them sell outs ...go get lives.
    ctd
  • Whatever... They can be sellouts all they want but if they choose that path they are gonna have to stop playing about half their catalog! And stop with the we're not sellouts schtick.
    I'm just very bitter that the band I grew up on turned into this but I can't waste another second or dollar on this band.

I would have loved to see Green Disease on the Target setlist :)
  • A buuuddy found this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wUHsWuiARY

A fantastic Ed rant about never selling out.
    The ironic thing is that it's almost 16 years to the day. Happy Anniversary!
    If memory serves right, Backstreet Boys & Nsync were not on the bill.

"First thing you do when you have lots of money... Buy yourself"
  • Your post is about 2 years too late. Pearl Jam officially sold out with that stupid-ass Verizon deal to download three whole live tracks from the prior night's concert thanks to "mobile bootlegs" on the V-Cast network.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • js280023 wrote:
    MikeSig wrote:
    This is arguable at best. First of all, PJ didn't choose who to play with at this event. Second of all, they had to play it because they felt they had to make a small deal with Target in order to free themselves from a major label. I wouldn't call it a sell-out just yet.

Thank you its not like Eddie is doing duets with the fuckin jonas brothers on american idol :lol:

Can I just say that I wouldnt be opposed to this? What if Jonas brothers/American Idol contenstants really respect Eddie and his talents and want the chance to sing with him? Eddie is nice enough to do that, look at that stuff he did with the kids video and that rabbit, Pancake Mountain or something- why is it so bad for him to make someones dreams come true?
    Now, being a judge on American Idol would be a little different.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • metsfan wrote:
    so i guess pj didnt sell when they signed a contract with sony back in 90. the same contract that promised them millions and millions of dollars.

Now, you know damn well a record contract does not "promise" millions of dollars....
    you still have to earn it!
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • PJam82PJam82 Posts: 107
    metsfan wrote:

Signing with SubPop would've never given them the security they found with Sony. I can't fault them for that. They were lucky to get such a deal in the first place considering they hadn't been together that long as a band. And again, Target made profit from selling Backspacer. It's not like they bent over backwards for Pearl Jam and lost money on the deal. Don't tell me that a millionaire band has to kiss ass and do that gig. And don't tell me they didn't get a pocketfull of money to do it.
    actually a millionaire band does have to kiss ass and do gig if they want to do business with target again. its called not loosing a contact in the music world. lets not forget that pj is its own record label now. they don't have someone to back them up. it's strictly 10 club, pearl jam and curtis mangement now.

So exactly what prevents them from doing what Radiohead did with "In Rainbows"? That's the model PJ should follow and that's a band that has managed to keep their dignity fully intact. I doubt any of their children are goin hungry either.

You mean offering a "pay at you want" prince with sub-par files...then release the hi-quality files a few months later at retail stores?

Didn't think we forgot about that one did you?

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/157173 ... head.jhtml

Moving on...(you Radiohead fans sometimes...gee whiz)
  • UpSideDown wrote:
    these guys just donated $200,000 to Haiti..........I didn't see any posts about that.

Best post I've seen yet on this FUCKING RETARDED THREAD!

Shame on the originator. Go away.
    metsfan wrote:
    so i guess pj didnt sell when they signed a contract with sony back in 90. the same contract that promised them millions and millions of dollars.

Now, you know damn well a record contract does not "promise" millions of dollars....
    you still have to earn it!

EXACTLY. You don't sign contract for millions of dollars as no-name band....you have a record that flies off the shelves (Ten, 13 Million RIAA Certified) and then you can pretty much do what you want for life. PJ did and CAN do what they want because the success of Ten, Vs, Vitalogy.
  • Your post is about 2 years too late. Pearl Jam officially sold out with that stupid-ass Verizon deal to download three whole live tracks from the prior night's concert thanks to "mobile bootlegs" on the V-Cast network.

No, I didn't forget. I mentioned that already. With the 2 big text message billboards on both sides of the stage. Read my earlier posts. The youtube clip I posted was from 1994.
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    People like you obsessed with selling out need to get off your ass and get a job no one will call you a sell out just get a job. It's the poor and unaccomplished who talk about selling out. Walk upstairs and tell your mom and dad I said hello.

:lol::lol: Post of the year! Things change, people change, that's life. The only thing still 1998 about this band is the technology they use for selling tickets online.
  • Pearl Jam sold out when they wrote Amongst the Waves :)
  • Haywood YablomeeHaywood Yablomee Posts: 608
    edited March 2010
    Shawshank wrote:
    People like you obsessed with selling out need to get off your ass and get a job no one will call you a sell out just get a job. It's the poor and unaccomplished who talk about selling out. Walk upstairs and tell your mom and dad I said hello.

:lol::lol: Post of the year! Things change, people change, that's life. The only thing still 1998 about this band is the technology they use for selling tickets online.

How is this post of the year? Whoever wrote that sounds like they are in 2nd grade.

If "things change and people change" Why does the band still sing those songs? And still writing them?
    It's pretty ironic to hear Ed sing Satans Bed while his supermodel wife sits side stage underneath the Verizon screen.
    Post edited by Haywood Yablomee on
  • I'm sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, but I have to say that the premise is total BS.

Who the heck is anyone here to tell the guys who they can and cannot perform for? Are they only allowed to play public arena shows? Oh, no, we like small private shows - but only the kind for 10C members only, right? Screw that. What a bunch of entitled, elitist babies, "We're in 10c so we're the only ones who deserve private shows."

They partnered with Target and they stuck to their principles at the same time. Many of the people in that crowd tonight were probably huge PJ fans who have been selling the CD for them this year and will hopefully continue to recommend the CD and maybe turn new customers on to the music. I don't blame the band one bit for showing them appreciation, I think it's an awesome thing for them to do.

Said it before and can't repeat it enough: I'm proud of this band.

And that's not spin or justification, it's respect.
  • I'm sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, but I have to say that the premise is total BS.

Who the heck is anyone here to tell the guys who they can and cannot perform for? Are they only allowed to play public arena shows? Oh, no, we like small private shows - but only the kind for 10C members only, right? Screw that. What a bunch of entitled, elitist babies, "We're in 10c so we're the only ones who deserve private shows."

They partnered with Target and they stuck to their principles at the same time. Many of the people in that crowd tonight were probably huge PJ fans who have been selling the CD for them this year and will hopefully continue to recommend the CD and maybe turn new customers on to the music. I don't blame the band one bit for showing them appreciation, I think it's an awesome thing for them to do.

They played for the Target store manger's annual corporate event sharing the bill with one of the JONAS BROTHERS!!!!
  • i dont care about sellouts, but i liked them better when they found the time to tour the south instead of flying off to corporate gigs in Minnesota.
    JeffSide wrote:
    I'm sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, but I have to say that the premise is total BS.

They played for the Target store manger's annual corporate event sharing the bill with one of the JONAS BROTHERS!!!!

Okay...and last night they were drunk and jumping onstage with Iggy Pop at the HOF....so what?
  • whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    Is this actually a discussion about Pearl Jam(a band that has been around for twenty years) selling out?! :o This is ridiculous. :D
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    JeffSide wrote:

In all fairness, the one thing I will agree with is that it has become somewhat hypocritical. Don't preach to the fans during a show about how bad big corporations are, and bad mouth big corporations in general and then pander to who else....big corporations. Back in 2003, they even demanded corporate signage be removed or covered during their shows....http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstagetour/jampearl/pearl_jam_2.html
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,558
    how can an "independent" band sell out?

they cut a deal with target and this was probably one of the things they had to do. they've done private show over the years too. who cares? if you don't like it, you don't know how the world works.

grow up people. seriously.
    www.myspace.com
  • Haywood YablomeeHaywood Yablomee Posts: 608
    edited March 2010
    PJam82 wrote:
    JeffSide wrote:
    I'm sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, but I have to say that the premise is total BS.

Okay...and last night they were drunk and jumping onstage with Iggy Pop at the HOF....so what?

You don't see the difference between the 2 gigs?
    One being at the HOF and one sharing the stage with one of the Jonas Brothers for Target's store managers.
    I must be insane!
    Post edited by Haywood Yablomee on
  • mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    js280023 wrote:
    Thank you its not like Eddie is doing duets with the fuckin jonas brothers on american idol :lol:
    Although a duet with Michael Buble would be kinda awesome.
  • how can an "independent" band sell out?

they cut a deal with target and this was probably one of the things they had to do. they've done private show over the years too. who cares? if you don't like it, you don't know how the world works.

Which other major company have they played a corporate event for? Sharing the stage with a boy band member?
  • well some people view saying one thing and doing the opposite to be selling out. personally i dont, but some do. Pearl Jam is definitely guilty of that.
    JeffSide wrote:

Which other major company have they played a corporate event for? Sharing the stage with a boy band member?

they performed for some big wig's birthday thing a bunch of years ago. dave mathews was there too.

...aaaaaaaaand the same predictable threads on this board were here as well. :roll:
    www.myspace.com
  • JeffSide wrote:

they performed for some big wig's birthday thing a bunch of years ago. dave mathews was there too.

...aaaaaaaaand the same predictable threads on this board were here as well. :roll:

The seattle bowling alley gig for a friend of the band? That one?
    MrSmith wrote:
    well some people view saying one thing and doing the opposite to be selling out. personally i dont, but some do. Pearl Jam is definitely guilty of that.

sure. the sellout debate is so old and tiresome though. they were a part of a much, much bigger (and meaner :lol::lol: :roll: ) corporation in sony for almost 20 years, even played stupid shows in record stores in malls back in the day. people have called them sellouts since the very beginning. nothing new.
    www.myspace.com