*** 2010 FIFA World Cup ***

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,730
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Soooo. Tell me if this is correct.

Slovenia currently has 4 points, US 2

England beats Algeria: England has 4 points.

US Beats Algeria: US 5 points
    England Beats Slovenia: England has 7, Slovenia has 4

US and England Advance.
    Yes, that is correct

I like our chances. Now say they tie this afternoon. England 2, Algeria 1, US 2, Slovenia 4

US beats Algeria and they are through.
  • theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

US and England Advance.

as US fans, I think we should expect England to win today and tie Slovenia...with US beating algeria

England 5
    US 5
    Slovenia 5

what happens?

play tic tac toe
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

US and England Advance.

as US fans, I think we should expect England to win today and tie Slovenia...with US beating algeria

England 5
    US 5
    Slovenia 5

what happens?

Goal difference, then if that doesn't help goals scored, then if that doesn't seperate them look at the results between England/US/Slovenia, and on and on it goes ;) ... until the dreaded drawing of lots :twisted:
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    edited June 2010
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

US and England Advance.

England 5
    US 5
    Slovenia 5

what happens?
    goal differential breaks a tie
    1. greatest number of points in all group matches
    2. goal difference in all group matches
    3. greatest number of goals scored in all group matches
    4. greatest number of points in matches between tied teams
    5. goal difference in matches between tied teams
    6. greatest number of goals scored in matches between tied teams
    7. drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_ ... roup_stage
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    metsfan wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

US and England Advance.

England 5
    US 5
    Slovenia 5

what happens?
    goal differential breaks a tie

so US is at even
    slovenia is plus 1
    england even, with game coming

so as US fans, we are rooting for algeria here...if england wins we want it to be close. correct?
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

US and England Advance.

England 5
    US 5
    Slovenia 5

what happens?

play tic tac toe

rock, paper, scissors would be better
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    edited June 2010
    jimed14 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

US and England Advance.

England 5
    US 5
    Slovenia 5

what happens?

It'll goes to goal differential ... so, the two teams that beat Algeria the by the most goals, advance.

Then it goes to goals scored.

Yeah. I believe if it comes down to two teams and they are vying for second in a group it's who won the game between them. If it was a draw. Goal difference
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    So after me typing it from memory ...Dimitris goes all official :ugeek: :P
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    So, while today has been a crazy day (Germany lost while I was sleeping, wow) .... let's not get too crazy, there is no way England isn't kicking the shit out of Algeria.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    So, while today has been a crazy day (Germany lost while I was sleeping, wow) .... let's not get too crazy, there is no way England isn't kicking the shit out of Algeria.

Agreed, so we need england to kick the shit out of Algeria and Slovenia, we beat Algeria and we are all good.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    The Fixer wrote:

Lets hope that England finally plays up to their potential for once and wins these next two games.

I would also think England wants to win both and make sure they win the group.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    chime wrote:
    So after me typing it from memory ...Dimitris goes all official :ugeek: :P
    :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    The Fixer wrote:

Lets hope that England finally plays up to their potential for once and wins these next two games.

Although now there is a possibility Germany may come 2nd in their group we may not want to top our group :? :lol:
    The Fixer wrote:

why would england winning this afternoon help the US team? don't we want england to need the game vs slovenia?
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Just got back from watching the game.

Fuck.

We should have won. Highway Robbery.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Once again. FUCK YOU REFEREE!
    chime wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Although now there is a possibility Germany may come 2nd in their group we may not want to top our group :? :lol:

Zee German bubble bust tonight. Australia just played really bad in the first game. Zee Germans ain't so hot. Argentina have been the stand out. I'll reserve my opinion of Brazil and England until after the group stage
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

why would england winning this afternoon help the US team? don't we want england to need the game vs slovenia?

If England wins the next two games, they get 7 points and win group. And we beat Algeria, we would have 5 points and advance as well. Slovenia would only have 4.
    The Fixer wrote:

If England wins the next two games, they get 7 points and win group. And we beat Algeria, we would have 5 points and advance as well. Slovenia would only have 4.[/quote]

if england loses or ties today, then beats slovenia, they have a max of 5 points. and the US could conceivably still win the group.

I don't see how pulling for england today makes any sense (as a US fan)

edit...if anything, england winning today gives them less motivation to beat slovenia
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    at work. watched what i can in our cafeteria.

that ref should never be allowed on a soccer field again.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    This happens to the US every World Cup. I almost expected it. Seriously. It's like you have to outplay the opponent and somehow the refs.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    so landycakes makes it 2-1 (awesome goal!) and what happens next? i don't know because the power went out!!! :evil: :evil:
    The Fixer wrote:

edit...if anything, england winning today gives them less motivation to beat slovenia

I don't think England would want to end up in a spot where 3 teams may all have 5 points and goal differntial comes into play.
    norm wrote:
    so landycakes makes it 2-1 (awesome goal!) and what happens next? i don't know because the power went out!!! :evil: :evil:

2-2 bud. By the way you got totally robbed of a third goal in the dying minutes. Not just soccer robbed but really robbed!!!
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    norm wrote:

stop burning your house down laker fan :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    norm wrote:

stop burning your house down laker fan :lol:

i got tired of burning cars ;) :P
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Let's face it, that was the worst disallowed goal since the Allies got robbed against the Germans in Victory.

51Y6M57S6FL._SS500_.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    watching the replay on espn3...what a goal by bradley!! :clap:
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't think England would want to end up in a spot where 3 teams may all have 5 points and goal differntial comes into play.

of course not. but if they win today they pretty much know they're advancing. they can play for a tie in their last game. that's not what I want as someone hoping the US advances (because then slovenia would have 5 points if they tie england).

just saying...as US fans we gotta root for algeria this afternoon
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

of course not. but if they win today they pretty much know they're advancing. they can play for a tie in their last game. that's not what I want as someone hoping the US advances (because then slovenia would have 5 points if they tie england).

just saying...as US fans we gotta root for algeria this afternoon

We can root all we want. I predict a 3 goal victory for England. No way Algeria wins.