*** 2010 FIFA World Cup ***

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    That's right Black Diamond, we kicked their ass in the Revolution, now we're gonna send them packing once again! I'm sticking to my 2-1 USA prediction.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067

Brian, why make generalizing comments on what you think I know (or don't know) about soccer, football, basketball, hockey, and baseball? Man was i even talking to you? No. Dunk and I, in our cordially sarcastic observations, have had this conversation for a few years now between between Scots, Americans, and soccer. Nothing to do with you. Thank you for your observations in your final paragraph...and while it's a scary thought thinking that you speak for the 'people in this country', I do agree with you on this point. Seeing the US win the Cup would certainly spike a great interest in soccer here in the US. But seeing as how you don't know shit about me other than the fact that I'm a PJ fan like you, I'll give you a slice of info...I coached 2 of those 4-12 year old youth teams last fall. Does this make me an expert on soccer? No. But Dunk knows what I'm talking about with the 'sniper' bit...it's why he responds in kind.
    did I touch a nerve with you steve. I'm so sorry, NOT. I don't speak for the people or anything. Funny you take that away from a post of mine but whatever. Thanks for the laughs. Did you use a 4-4-2 or 4-4-3 or 4-5-1 or just let the kids around the field. Maybe you can coach the great sport of soccer for another 10 years and then maybe you'll get why I responded to your post like I did.

:)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    metsfan wrote:

Brian, why make generalizing comments on what you think I know (or don't know) about soccer, football, basketball, hockey, and baseball? Man was i even talking to you? No. Dunk and I, in our cordially sarcastic observations, have had this conversation for a few years now between between Scots, Americans, and soccer. Nothing to do with you. Thank you for your observations in your final paragraph...and while it's a scary thought thinking that you speak for the 'people in this country', I do agree with you on this point. Seeing the US win the Cup would certainly spike a great interest in soccer here in the US. But seeing as how you don't know shit about me other than the fact that I'm a PJ fan like you, I'll give you a slice of info...I coached 2 of those 4-12 year old youth teams last fall. Does this make me an expert on soccer? No. But Dunk knows what I'm talking about with the 'sniper' bit...it's why he responds in kind.
    did I touch a nerve with you steve. I'm so sorry, NOT. I don't speak for the people or anything. Funny you take that away from a post of mine but whatever. Thanks for the laughs. Did you use a 4-4-2 or 4-4-3 or 4-5-1 or just let the kids around the field. Maybe you can coach the great sport of soccer for another 10 years and then maybe you'll get why I responded to your post like I did.

HAHA nice. Please tell me you coach 4 year olds the game of soccer.
    I love to turn you on
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Got Portugal and Argentina!

Go on Messi you fucking legend - Win me money off my co-workers.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    come on England!!!..i support England in the match with USA.. :)
    :shock: :cry:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

well, I WAS going to support Greece in their game against SA tomorrow.............
    ill be touring 22 days with uk freaks,,its for my safety...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,249
    It should be a great tournament i have no clue who will win it, would love to see the USA win it but the odds are against us and even though i was born in Chile i consider myself an American :) so yeah i hope we kick England ass ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    norm wrote:

why now you dont support usa!!! :twisted:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    why now you dont supporting usa?? :lol:
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    You've got to admit Metsfan, that's one criticism that is definitely warranted by soccer critics. The exasperated sniper shot injury response to any slight touch near the penalty area is a joke. The US and maybe a few other countries don't usually resort to these tactics to win calls, but definitely the Latin American teams, the African teams, and many of the European teams do this crap.

And that's part of the reason why every WC the US tends to get terrible calls made against it in international competitions. We had two red cards against Italy the last WC and still managed a draw. Amazingly that was our only proud moment last WC.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Watched the England vs. Argentina 1998 WC game last night on ESPN Classic. What a phenomenal game that was. It was really a shame that England lost, I must say.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    norm wrote:

why now you dont support usa!!! :twisted:
    :lol::lol::lol:

oh sure, now you use correct english! :P :lol:
    norm wrote:

oh sure, now you use correct english! :P :lol:
    :lol::lol::lol: i fucked up as always!!!
  • ill be touring 22 days with uk freaks,,its for my safety...

You know it! :twisted:

Thanks for supporting us on Saturday!! :D

(I'm secretly rooting for Greece too! ;) )
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646

Nice post Steve... thats the way I saw it... :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    metsfan wrote:

HAHA nice. Please tell me you coach 4 year olds the game of soccer.
    nope I played soccer from age 4-16. I loved every minute of being out on the pitch. I mostly played defense. Say steve who takes your throw ins your defense or midfielders.
    gabers wrote:
    You've got to admit Metsfan, that's one criticism that is definitely warranted by soccer critics. The exasperated sniper shot injury response to any slight touch near the penalty area is a joke. The US and maybe a few other countries don't usually resort to these tactics to win calls, but definitely the Latin American teams, the African teams, and many of the European teams do this crap.

And that's part of the reason why every WC the US tends to get terrible calls made against it in international competitions. We had two red cards against Italy the last WC and still managed a draw. Amazingly that was our only proud moment last WC.

Hockey: players embellish dives, high sticks, hooking
    Basebal: players argue like wussies over called 3rd strikes, lean into pitches
    Football: the biggest wussies of them all. You can't even touch the wr or qb these days
    Basketball: players embellish handchecks and elbows
    Soccer: players embellish a tackle

All these athletes embellish but yet soccer is supposed to be the wussiest sport of them all :roll:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    IM SOOOO EXCITTTTTEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    9 hours
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Awesome! Every four years I watch sports non-stop. Can't wait! The Final Countdown...
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    metsfan wrote:
    Say steve who takes your throw ins your defense or midfielders.

that always depends on the team, the coach, even who is closest if you want a quick throw to be taken.

Stoke have Rory Delap who takes them and he plays in Midfield... he takes pretty much all their throws.

Other teams will use their right and left backs depending on the side of the pitch.

There is no hard and fast 'rule' Metsy... :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Posts: 354
    Let the show begin!
    G'wan Mexico!
    no host has ever lost the opening game... :shock:

didnt know that ...
    I have a feeling that might change today.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    Lets hope for some upsets today- South Africa and Uruguay
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Cheers! Brilliant!! :thumbup:

Only 2 hours 40 minutes until the kick off. Not much work's going to be done this afternoon.
    Lets hope for some upsets today- South Africa and Uruguay
    Nothing would make me happier than seeing France get royally fucked tonight.