**The Winter Olympics**

Comments

• Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,948
    Just a qn...
    Why are you guys called 'Cannucks'?
    Is it offensive to call Canadians that?
    What does it mean?

P.S your country is beautiful, I have relatives in Vancouver maybe hopefully one day I shall visit.

It's not at all offensive :D:D:D

The nickname comes from the Crazy Canucks, a group of Canadian alpine ski racers who rose to prominence in the World Cup during the 1970s and 80s. Dave Irwin, Dave Murray, Steve Podborski and Ken Read earned themselves a reputation for fast and seemingly reckless skiing.

Yeah, I love living in Lotus Land (British Columbia). This whole country is amazing. I've driven across it a couple of times (excluding Newfoundland and the Territories). It is amasingly diverse. If you ever make it out this way, be sure to look me up.

What about the French dominant East (Quebec)?
    I saw some pics, looks interesting, French type architecture.
    Yeah B.C looks scenic.

Quebec is fantastic. I've always had amasing experiences there. The only problem, specifically when visiting Montreal, that I've ever had, was that they seemed to just look at you and know that you are an anglophone. It makes it very difficult to practise your French ;) The best smoked meat sandwiches in North America can be found a Schwartz's Hebrew Deli on St Laurent Blvd. Quebec city has a lot of old world charm. I highly recommend a visit there as well.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Would I get shot in Montreal if I shouted ''Say it Frenchy....CHOWDERRRRR" ? :lol:
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,948
    Despite gun control here in Canada, that might be a possibility :? ;)

Chances are though, you'd just get a severe beat down. But your an Aussie, so I'm sure you can take it :shock: :D:D:D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I'll just burn an effigy of Celine Dion and make a run to the Aussie Embassy ;)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I'll just burn an effigy of Celine Dion and make a run to the Aussie Embassy ;)
    Most Canadians wouldn't care, so might not have to run.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    Dale doesn't even live in Australia, he lived here for a few short months to get his Aussie citizenship because the Canada team would not accept him into the team.
    Now he lives in Canada, far from an Aussie.
    Maybe if he listened to AC/DC he would've won instead of listening to KD Lang and Michael Buble.

Seriously???? The media here is saying that he went over to AUS to develop a business or something and got AUS citizenship so he could ski for them (despite the fact that he grew up in the Whistler area)

And, for your information, we don't all listen to k.d. Lang or Michael Buble ;) :x :D Actually, I can only name one song by k.d. and none by Buble. Does that make me a bad Canadian? Are you going to revoke my citizenship? :oops: :? :cry:
    I don't know a Buble or Lang song, that makes me a good Canadian.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Dale doesn't even live in Australia, he lived here for a few short months to get his Aussie citizenship because the Canada team would not accept him into the team.
    Now he lives in Canada, far from an Aussie.
    Maybe if he listened to AC/DC he would've won instead of listening to KD Lang and Michael Buble.

Now now thoughts. AS long as he is winning medals we will happily accept him. And as soon as he stops, we'll deport his arse back there. :D

This irks me, we happily accept all the Russians and other overseas born athletes but when someone else plays for another country we shoot them down, we are hypocrites.
    We do the same thing here, I think it's more about competitiveness, everyone wants to win, so we all figure if we had that guy we'd be more successful, which isn't true. I don't care that Dale compete's for Australia, our guy still beat him.

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    lukin2006 wrote:

Seriously???? The media here is saying that he went over to AUS to develop a business or something and got AUS citizenship so he could ski for them (despite the fact that he grew up in the Whistler area)

And, for your information, we don't all listen to k.d. Lang or Michael Buble ;) :x :D Actually, I can only name one song by k.d. and none by Buble. Does that make me a bad Canadian? Are you going to revoke my citizenship? :oops: :? :cry:
    I think he was trying to get a business going with his brother and couldn't spend time practising - the team had minimum requirements for practice time, so they wouldn't let him race for them.

Or something like that...
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I think he was trying to get a business going with his brother and couldn't spend time practising - the team had minimum requirements for practice time, so they wouldn't let him race for them.

Yes that seems to be correct, apparently they are quite successful and well off financially, however, their company has been linked to malware which is not cool.

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Rygar wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yes that seems to be correct, apparently they are quite successful and well off financially, however, their company has been linked to malware which is not cool.
    If true that is definitely not cool. He didn't seem too impressed yesterday. The media has been wanting to grill him all week too, lol
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    He looked soooooooo choked he got a silver.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Did Bode Miller get the bronze in the downhill this afternoon?
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    bernmodibernmodi Posts: 631
    intodeep wrote:
    Did Bode Miller get the bronze in the downhill this afternoon?
    Yes he did.
    And what a great day for Switzerland, third gold!
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    haffajappa wrote:
    He looked soooooooo choked he got a silver.

I guess when your the best in the world, 2nd isn't good enough. Didn't reflect too well on him though.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    edited February 2010
    Can't wait for the Men's 500 speed skating tonight.
    Post edited by patrickredeyes on
  • Options
    CTV in Canada coverage of the olympics suck. I'm waiting for the 500 mens speed skating to start. Then Brian "talky talky" Williams says "they have problems at the oval after 9 pairs went", now why not show the event instead of the him always talking, what a joke, CBC was much better at this.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    CTV in Canada coverage of the olympics suck. I'm waiting for the 500 mens speed skating to start. Then Brian "talky talky" Williams says "they have problems at the oval after 9 pairs went", now why not show the event instead of the him always talking, what a joke, CBC was much better at this.
    yah... also what I didn't like during the mogals for example, there wasnt much background noise just them talking... they'd pan over the crowd and it'd be silence it was weird.

there was a CBC thing last night on how they feel about not being able to do the games this year
  • Options
    You would think with 7 years to plan the Olympics they would go off without a hitch. Did anyone see the ice at speed skating, holy crap, I think outdoor ponds are in better shape. Way to go Vancouver, you exclude Terry Fox from the lighting of the cauldron with an opening ceremony with no flow to changing networks that apparently has no clue how to how events with a flow to it. So far no a very impressive Olympics.

• Options
    Bode looks like he needs a drink.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    What is up with the US snowboarders wearing gor tex jeans :?
    I don't know i think it is kind of lame but that is just me.

US seems to do well in snowboarding.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    bob costas just can't shut the fuck up, can he? :roll:
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    intodeep wrote:
    What is up with the US snowboarders wearing gor tex jeans :?
    I don't know i think it is kind of lame but that is just me.

US seems to do well in snowboarding.

Denim material for snowboard pants was so 2005 ;)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    bob costas just can't shut the fuck up, can he? :roll:
    We have the same problem here in Canada on CTV with Brian Williams.

• Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    What the fuck?

When I was a kid, they'd show at least 15 of the best downhill runs with a few wipe outs mixed in.

They showed 5 runs in a half hour, the three medalists, a Swiss guy on the comeback trail that fell short and a Canadian that wiped. It's over. Done. No more.

5 fucking runs?

Way too many fucking commercials. Not nearly enough action.

Oh, and now a nice 10 minute spot about polar bears. UGH.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    jimed14 wrote:
    What the fuck?

When I was a kid, they'd show at least 15 of the best downhill runs with a few wipe outs mixed in.

They showed 5 runs in a half hour, the three medalists, a Swiss guy on the comeback trail that fell short and a Canadian that wiped. It's over. Done. No more.

5 fucking runs?

Ladies and Gentlemen. The Olympics on NBC!
    NERDS!
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    What the fuck?

5 fucking runs?

Ladies and Gentlemen. The Olympics on NBC!

It hasn't been much better here Canada, 3 stations sharing the broadcast, so you are constantly searching for action, lots of talk, lots of commercials, mind you our main network did show the downhill. I am now at the point that I only really care about the hockey. I watched the medal ceremony tonight and they spent 5 minutes talking about the lumber that was used to make the medal podium. To me the olympics should be about the athlete's, it's to bad.

• Options
    Just one more point 2 of the stations are only available on cable and satellite and the main network has been a lot of talk. I know people who still don't have cable or satellite so they are getting poor coverage of the olympics.

• Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    What the fuck?

5 fucking runs?

How slow are those events live? Do the skiers basically go one after another or is there downtime in between?

I agree tho, coverage is terrible, but I didn't expect much from NBC. I'm happy that a lot of the hockey games are on secondary networks... maybe they can just show the game and not the other senseless crap that NBC fills 80% of their broadcast with.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

It hasn't been much better here Canada, 3 stations sharing the broadcast, so you are constantly searching for action, lots of talk, lots of commercials, mind you our main network did show the downhill. I am now at the point that I only really care about the hockey. I watched the medal ceremony tonight and they spent 5 minutes talking about the lumber that was used to make the medal podium. To me the olympics should be about the athlete's, it's to bad.
    Is it jut me or are they switching up channels in the middle of events?
    Could have sworn i was watching boarding on TSN went to have a shower came back and it was some Olympic documentary... switched to sportsnet and boarding was there...

maybe I was just watching sportsnet all along?
  • Options
    In the US NBC needs to use its other stations more for this. Show more of the events, and really show as much stuff live as you can.

Oh and what is up with the ice rink not being able to um stay icy?

Curling starts today let the real fun begin :D
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22