Options

**The Winter Olympics**

Comments

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I'm only interested in the Snowboarders, they just seem like the only cool performers there.
    Go Shaun White and Gretchen Blieler, go U.S.A !!! Sorry, they're the only two Olympians I know about..LOL :lol:
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Wait to go Alexandre Bilodeau Canada'sfirst ever gold medal at a home olympics.

Fuck yeah! What a rush that must have been.
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    lukin2006 wrote:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

That speed skating last night was exciting!!! I like Apolo Ohno Creed!!! :D
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Lizard wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

That speed skating last night was exciting!!! I like Apolo Ohno Creed!!! :D

I like Creed as well, he's an exciting skater, short track speed skating is awesome, roller derby on ice.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

Fuck yeah! What a rush that must have been.

:D So happy for him, to see the excitement in his brothers eyes, wow!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Canada might as well add another silver medal to their tally.
    Dale Begg Smith won silver in the moguls.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,948
    Canada might as well add another silver medal to their tally.
    Dale Begg Smith won silver in the moguls.

:lol::lol::lol:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    Congrats to . . .

Alexandre Bilodeau - G - (Freestyle Skiing Men's - moguls)
    Jenn Heil - S - (Freestyle Skiing Women's- moguls)
    Kristina Groves - B - (Speed Skating - Ladies 3000m)

GO CANADA GO
  • Options
    O Canada!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    That was exciting. Shame the Aussie didn't win, but hey, that Canadian went really well. That was Australia's 7th ever winter Olympic medal. We are a sunburnt country
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    That was exciting. Shame the Aussie didn't win, but hey, that Canadian went really well. That was Australia's 7th ever winter Olympic medal. We are a sunburnt country

Yeah, was an amazing contest. Too bad the French guy seemed like such a dick ;) :roll:

There's always more short track medals standing by :D Glad your CANAussie won a medal though, although I would have liked to have seen one of the other Canadians on the podium as well.
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:

Yeah, was an amazing contest. Too bad the French guy seemed like such a dick ;) :roll:

There's always more short track medals standing by :D Glad your CANAussie won a medal though, although I would have liked to have seen one of the other Canadians on the podium as well.

Pure Aussie mate. It would of been funny if he was the first Canadian to win a gold medal.

In terms of medals for Aust, we needed that. We hardly ever win anything in the Winter Olympics. Everyone here in all the media had already penciled that one in,

Bring on London 2012 so we can win something
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Yeah, you guys do pretty awesome in the Summer Games :ugeek: :D

Tbh, I wasn't really feeling the games until the opening ceremonies. Kind of a shame as I'm only an hour and a half from Van. Feelin' it now though :P :P
    I grew up in Calgary and was living there during the '88 Games. Whoa, now that was a party. A bit of fake ID and it was on. I remember being excited beyond belief when a Soviet athlete winked at me in the Athlete's Village :roll: :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Dale doesn't even live in Australia, he lived here for a few short months to get his Aussie citizenship because the Canada team would not accept him into the team.
    Now he lives in Canada, far from an Aussie.
    Maybe if he listened to AC/DC he would've won instead of listening to KD Lang and Michael Buble.
  • Options
    Yeah, you guys do pretty awesome in the Summer Games :ugeek: :D

Tbh, I wasn't really feeling the games until the opening ceremonies. Kind of a shame as I'm only an hour and a half from Van. Feelin' it now though :P :P
    I grew up in Calgary and was living there during the '88 Games. Whoa, now that was a party. A bit of fake ID and it was on. I remember being excited beyond belief when a Soviet athlete winked at me in the Athlete's Village :roll: :lol::lol::lol:

Yeh, I was 20 mins from Sydney games. My Mum and Dad saw the Dreamteam walking through the city. It was awesome. I really am jealous that you guys have the games. I would love it back here.

Oh and did you have to rub it in putting that guys photo as your avatar???? :lol:
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Dale doesn't even live in Australia, he lived here for a few short months to get his Aussie citizenship because the Canada team would not accept him into the team.
    Maybe if he listened to AC/DC he would've won instead of listening to KD Lang and Michael Buble.

Seriously???? The media here is saying that he went over to AUS to develop a business or something and got AUS citizenship so he could ski for them (despite the fact that he grew up in the Whistler area)

And, for your information, we don't all listen to k.d. Lang or Michael Buble ;) :x :D Actually, I can only name one song by k.d. and none by Buble. Does that make me a bad Canadian? Are you going to revoke my citizenship? :oops: :? :cry:
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    Oh and did you have to rub it in putting that guys photo as your avatar???? :lol:

Yes! :P :P :P
  • Options

Now now thoughts. AS long as he is winning medals we will happily accept him. And as soon as he stops, we'll deport his arse back there. :D
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:

Now now thoughts. AS long as he is winning medals we will happily accept him. And as soon as he stops, we'll deport his arse back there. :D

This irks me, we happily accept all the Russians and other overseas born athletes but when someone else plays for another country we shoot them down, we are hypocrites.
  • Options

Seriously???? The media here is saying that he went over to AUS to develop a business or something and got AUS citizenship so he could ski for them (despite the fact that he grew up in the Whistler area)

And, for your information, we don't all listen to k.d. Lang or Michael Buble ;) :x :D Actually, I can only name one song by k.d. and none by Buble. Does that make me a bad Canadian? Are you going to revoke my citizenship? :oops: :? :cry:

As long as you know one song of his that is ok, as for Bubbles you need to know at least one. :D
    What would make you a bad Canadian is if you dislike Canadian Club Whiskey and Maple Syrup.
  • Options
    Just a qn...
    Why are you guys called 'Cannucks'?
    Is it offensive to call Canadians that?
    What does it mean?

P.S your country is beautiful, I have relatives in Vancouver maybe hopefully one day I shall visit.
  • Options
    I love it. Most of the time anyway. Like Kosta, we happily adopted this champion. Who I'm not a fan of is Jelena Dokic, who tried to threaten Australian tennis and say she would play for Yugoslavia, and now she's back.

As long as they are proud to represent Australia, they are more than welcome. Plus, a bit of talent won't go astray.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options

As long as you know one song of his that is ok, as for Bubbles you need to know at least one. :D
    What would make you a bad Canadian is if you dislike Canadian Club Whiskey and Maple Syrup.

Love me the whiskey (especially with coke) and can't get enough of maple syrup (although pineapple flavoured is a very close second :D
  • Options
    Just a qn...
    What does it mean?

P.S your country is beautiful, I have relatives in Vancouver maybe hopefully one day I shall visit.

It's not at all offensive :D:D:D

The nickname comes from the Crazy Canucks, a group of Canadian alpine ski racers who rose to prominence in the World Cup during the 1970s and 80s. Dave Irwin, Dave Murray, Steve Podborski and Ken Read earned themselves a reputation for fast and seemingly reckless skiing.

Yeah, I love living in Lotus Land (British Columbia). This whole country is amazing. I've driven across it a couple of times (excluding Newfoundland and the Territories). It is amasingly diverse. If you ever make it out this way, be sure to look me up.
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I love it. Most of the time anyway. Like Kosta, we happily adopted this champion. Who I'm not a fan of is Jelena Dokic, who tried to threaten Australian tennis and say she would play for Yugoslavia, and now she's back.

As long as they are proud to represent Australia, they are more than welcome. Plus, a bit of talent won't go astray.

What about Aussie Joe Simunic and Ante Seric? :D
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:

You know, I really want to get you back for this. Just to rub some sort of AUstralia beating Canada. SO I just googled it and this is what I came up with.
    Aussies Beat Canada in Epic Battle
    Unbelievably dramatic game was played by the members of the team Australia and the team Canada. The defending champions from Australia confirmed their dominance after all and defeated their opponents 12:10 in the fabulous battle.

Canadians were demonstrating that they did not fear the defending champions and often engaged in dangerous attacks. Dany Dobbie was the first one to shot a goal, but Aussies scored four times in a row and thus led 4:1. After that, Canada pressed their opponents and were down by only a single goal (4:5) after a couple of successful actions.

However, the end of the first half was in Australian hands, who added three goals and led 8:5 in the halftime. Fearless performance of the Canadian players suggested very interesting and dramatic lacrosse in the second period, what was affirmed soon ofter the break. The Maple Leafs players were the ones who commenced striking in great style. Three goals, which authors were twice Brooke McKenzie and once Jess Brownridge, meant a tie 8:8. Noticeably shattered Australians called for a timeout, which was their second wind, Canadians struggled to attack, and soon it was the Aussies who were in charge.

The first quick attack was soon successfully finished by Cassandra Cursaro, and when Tegan Brown and Stacey Morlang added another goals of the defending champions, it seemed that Australia reached the crucial advantage. However, Canadians refused to settle for this score, and managed to conjured an astonishing end of the match. After Crysti Foote scored to 9:11, Alicia Moodie followed her lead and just one-goal game was played fifteen minutes to the end of the game.

Canada reigned in next ten minutes, but their attackers failed to push the ball behind awesome Australian goalkeeper. Australia controlled the ball only since the third minute to the end of the match and Melissa Williams was the last one to score to final 12:10. Yet Aussies will face USA in the World Cup finals.

Not quite as good, but ha, In your face Canada :D:D
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Just a qn...
    What does it mean?

It's not at all offensive :D:D:D

The nickname comes from the Crazy Canucks, a group of Canadian alpine ski racers who rose to prominence in the World Cup during the 1970s and 80s. Dave Irwin, Dave Murray, Steve Podborski and Ken Read earned themselves a reputation for fast and seemingly reckless skiing.

Yeah, I love living in Lotus Land (British Columbia). This whole country is amazing. I've driven across it a couple of times (excluding Newfoundland and the Territories). It is amasingly diverse. If you ever make it out this way, be sure to look me up.

What about the French dominant East (Quebec)?
    I saw some pics, looks interesting, French type architecture.
    Yeah B.C looks scenic.
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:

What about Aussie Joe Simunic and Ante Seric? :D

The reason Joe was hounded was because of the 3 yellow cards. That could of been really costly in A world cup.

There is a young up and coming Brit who plays tennis. She is Aussie born, and the media here were getting behind her. ANd the Hollioke brothers. They had successful careers until Ben I think it was died. Look at Christian Vieri also. I don't think they get bagged as such. I think, As Aussies, we claim them as our own.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

You know, I really want to get you back for this. Just to rub some sort of AUstralia beating Canada. SO I just googled it and this is what I came up with.
    Aussies Beat Canada in Epic Battle
    Unbelievably dramatic game was played by the members of the team Australia and the team Canada. The defending champions from Australia confirmed their dominance after all and defeated their opponents 12:10 in the fabulous battle.

Canadians were demonstrating that they did not fear the defending champions and often engaged in dangerous attacks. Dany Dobbie was the first one to shot a goal, but Aussies scored four times in a row and thus led 4:1. After that, Canada pressed their opponents and were down by only a single goal (4:5) after a couple of successful actions.

However, the end of the first half was in Australian hands, who added three goals and led 8:5 in the halftime. Fearless performance of the Canadian players suggested very interesting and dramatic lacrosse in the second period, what was affirmed soon ofter the break. The Maple Leafs players were the ones who commenced striking in great style. Three goals, which authors were twice Brooke McKenzie and once Jess Brownridge, meant a tie 8:8. Noticeably shattered Australians called for a timeout, which was their second wind, Canadians struggled to attack, and soon it was the Aussies who were in charge.

The first quick attack was soon successfully finished by Cassandra Cursaro, and when Tegan Brown and Stacey Morlang added another goals of the defending champions, it seemed that Australia reached the crucial advantage. However, Canadians refused to settle for this score, and managed to conjured an astonishing end of the match. After Crysti Foote scored to 9:11, Alicia Moodie followed her lead and just one-goal game was played fifteen minutes to the end of the game.

Canada reigned in next ten minutes, but their attackers failed to push the ball behind awesome Australian goalkeeper. Australia controlled the ball only since the third minute to the end of the match and Melissa Williams was the last one to score to final 12:10. Yet Aussies will face USA in the World Cup finals.

Not quite as good, but ha, In your face Canada :D:D

:problem: :yawn: :lol:They really need a smiley with it's tongue sticking out ;)
  • Options
    lol @ just reading a news article about my local soccer team recruiting a Canadian, from a Toronto club.