Options

**The Winter Olympics**

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,659
    Lizard wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I am pumped for the olympics. Love me some curling.

and skiing, bobsled, hockey, luge and speed skating
    You really like curling? People usually laugh at that sport---sorry. have you done it?

I get a kick out of it and enjoy watching it. Kind of like if they had shuffleboard in the summer olympics. I have played a few times, it's a good time.
  • Options
    That luger who wrecked this morning died.... what a horrific looking crash. Terrible start to the games.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/vancou ... 1-qmi.html
    An Olympic luger has been killed after a brutal crash during a training run Friday in Whistler.

Amid safety concerns over the speed lugers have been reaching at the Whistler sliding centre, Nodar Kumaritashvili, of Georgia, was approaching a final 270-degree turn — at speeds estimated to be 140 kilometres an hour — when he lost control.

He flipped off his sled and flew into a metal pole.

Emergency crews performed CPR on the 21-year-old athlete, a native of Borjomi, Georgia, but were unable to save his life.

The $105-million sliding centre, on Blackcomb Mountain’s southeast side, has 16 turns and drops steeply for 152 metres — the world’s longest drop.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,137
    It's a sad start to these winter games. A tragic accident indeed, I hope they will pad that pole as the events go forward. RIP

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Wow, fuck, this is horrible, just read about it and came here to see if anyone posted on it. Why in gods name are all of those poles not padded, there is a whole line of them. Very sad way to start the games.
  • Options
    From what I have read this is by far the most dangerous track in the world and the athletes have been worried about it since it was built in 2007.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    just saw a video. just awful.

even if the poles were padded, i don't think he would have survived.
  • Options

No, he didnt have a shot if they were padded, should be either way though.

Horrible way to start, wonder what they will do tonight.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    the article on espn mentions:

"More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations -- like Georgia -- had enough time to prepare for the daunting track."
  • Options

Yeah... going from 100 mph to a complete stop, some padding isn't going to do a whole lot. Even watching the video replay of the whole run, knowing he was going to crash, I was amazed at how open it was, and how close the people/officials were basically hanging over the edge.

You'd think that the walls would be higher or whatever to help contain a person (or a sled) from leaving the track.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    the article on espn mentions:

"More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations -- like Georgia -- had enough time to prepare for the daunting track."

Deadspin linked to an article in the NY Times that this track was one of the venues athletes from outside Canada were not allowed to train on until February so they could maintain an advantage

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/21/sport ... .html?_r=1
  • Options
    Leathe?ma?Leathe?ma? Яussia Posts: 354
    so terrible.. what a bad start for the games :(
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    This happened while i was in class I heard about it when my friend checked her facebook.

Its nuts, that poor guy. That track doesn't seem to be safe at all, thats the third training accident this week!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    So very tragic... just 21 years old... R.I.P. Nodar Kumaritashvili. :(

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    It is sad about the Geogian luger. Tragic.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    watching the video (which nbc has now run about 6 times :roll: ) it seems if there had been a catch fence on top of the existing track so he wouldn't have flown into the posts

very sad...the georgian team has said they will participate in the opening ceremonies
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    watching the video (which nbc has now run about 6 times :roll: ) it seems if there had been a catch fence on top of the existing track so he wouldn't have flown into the posts

very sad...the georgian team has said they will participate in the opening ceremonies
    they mentioned something about trying to pad the bars before the competition tomorrow, but who knows.
    It is very sad that someone had to die even before the games could start (as well as at all), and so young.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    norm wrote:

they mentioned something about trying to pad the bars before the competition tomorrow, but who knows.
    It is very sad that someone had to die even before the games could start (as well as at all), and so young.

going 89 miles per hour into a padded or unpadded pole is gonna kill ya...it's really unfortunate that this wasn't seen to when the course was built
  • Options
    On a completely different note, I was watching the downhill skiing prelims and it makes me happy that the phrase "G Force" has returned to popular lexicon.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    gotta love stoner boarder chicks in the olympics :lol: :thumbup:
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    norm wrote:
    Yes we do! :mrgreen:

Anyone got on onlive link for the stream? The justin.tv ones are all blocked now :thumbdown:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    :lol::mrgreen:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    why is the lady singing our national anthem like that....
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,135
    haffajappa wrote:

who was that?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:

i liked it! :thumbup:

and i think she's 16
  • Options
    Cayman Islands guys have awesome hats!
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:

who was that?
    I dno but it reminded me of Little Richard in the movie Mystery Alaska
  • Options
    I love when the itty bitty 1 athlete teams come out... so cute!

its going to be sad when georgia comes out :( :(
  • Options
    The girls from Estonia aren't bad on the eyes either.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I wish I could watch this. :x
    NERDS!
  • Options
    All the other Georgian athletes have tears in their eyes. So sad. They decided to march out for their countries with heavy hearts.