SMOKERS STINK!

Comments

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I have noticed that some girls at bars will go out for a smoke and then come back smelling of strawberries or something, so they must have some body spray that covers up the smell of chimney

I hate the smell of people after they smoke, seems like its more pronounced in cold weather too
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I love the smell of husband having a black 'n mild
    not only is it a nummy smell but it smells like someone is happy and relaxed
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,874
    pandora wrote:

i thought this said i love when my husband smells like a nutty black man
    DewieCox wrote:
    yoke wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    Took my hoodie off after my band practice the other day and it smelled lik Bigfoot's dick. Thats with one guy smokin. Dunno how we could stand it a year ago with 4.

you've smelled bigfoots dick??

No, but I've smell Sex Panther to know what it smells like. Not unlike pure gasoline or a turd covered in burnt hair.

60% of the time it works every time

http://www.mixx.com/stories/10777391/se ... ogne_34_99
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:

i thought this said i love when my husband smells like a nutty black man
    :lol::clap: i needed that!
    displaysmiley.php?show=1735

displaysmiley.php?show=1733
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    nuffingman wrote:

I don't like it when people smell of:

Garlic
    Onions
    Curry
    Cheap perfume
    Aftershave
    Booze

I just don't spend my time whining about it.

:clap:
    scb wrote:

If I had co-workers who were made sick by perfume, I wouldn't wear purfume to work. My mom is chemically allergic, so I don't wear scented lotion, burn candles, etc. when I know she'll be around. Seems like basic respect for others to me.
    Not wearing perfume vs overcoming addiction......not even close.
    Would you stop eating onions, garlic, or curry if people didnt' like that smell? Is it infringing on a colleagues rights if that smell makes them nauseous?
    Seriously; where are we supposed to draw the line?
    If the big, hairy mole on your face makes me nauseous, can I say that working with you interferes with my ability to do my job, therefore you should either have it removed or find another job?
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    ya know what else stinks?
    hog farms, cattle, and that guy from dirty jobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRkCQH02AxE :mrgreen:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    chadwick wrote:
    ya know what else stinks?
    hog farms, cattle, and that guy from dirty jobs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRkCQH02AxE :mrgreen:

I am a garbage man... so honestly the things I smell at work pretty much trump a lot of other peoples smells. I used to work in an office and I know what you are all talking about.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    scb wrote:

If I had co-workers who were made sick by perfume, I wouldn't wear purfume to work. My mom is chemically allergic, so I don't wear scented lotion, burn candles, etc. when I know she'll be around. Seems like basic respect for others to me.

Would you stop eating onions, garlic, or curry if people didnt' like that smell? Is it infringing on a colleagues rights if that smell makes them nauseous?
    If the big, hairy mole on your face makes me nauseous, can I say that working with you interferes with my ability to do my job, therefore you should either have it removed or find another job?

I understand that some people have an addiction and I feel bad for them. But that's their own damn fault/problem. They need to figure out a way so that their addiction doesn't infringe on my right to not have migraines and nausea. Also, why is addiction an excuse for cigarettes but not for alcohol or drugs? I sure as fuck want to have a drink sometimes when I'm at work, but I'm not allowed to do that.

For the record, the smell of Indian food makes my office-mate naseaous - so, no, I don't eat curry at work. Once again, it's about having respect for the people around you. I also don't heat up fish in the microwave at work, don't play my music really loudly at work, and don't do any number of other things that might invade the personal space, well-being, or productivity of those around me.
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    scb wrote:
    scb wrote:

I understand that some people have an addiction and I feel bad for them. But that's their own damn fault/problem. They need to figure out a way so that their addiction doesn't infringe on my right to not have migraines and nausea. Also, why is addiction an excuse for cigarettes but not for alcohol or drugs? I sure as fuck want to have a drink sometimes when I'm at work, but I'm not allowed to do that.

For the record, the smell of Indian food makes my office-mate naseaous - so, no, I don't eat curry at work. Once again, it's about having respect for the people around you. I also don't heat up fish in the microwave at work, don't play my music really loudly at work, and don't do any number of other things that might invade the personal space, well-being, or productivity of those around me.

You sound damn near perfect. Are you also ok with dismembering corpses?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    scb wrote:

You sound damn near perfect. Are you also ok with dismembering corpses?

I am, actually. I'm not kidding. I've "helped" with autopsies. (There's another foul smell.) ;)
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Oh, this reminds me of Bill Hicks and his take on smoking... :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    pandora wrote:
    chadwick wrote:
    yoke wrote:

see, I think that disgusting, that smell bothers me to no end but I would never cry about it.

you're not a smoker of the green magic dragon?
    Ganga reeks but well worth it :D

Touche!

As a matter of fact.... 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    i'm officially not satisfied with them not being allowed to smoke in public buildings. after putting up with this huge ashtray of a man who has sat next to me at work for the past year, i am now in favor of them being forced to work in their own blocked off little area of the office. this dude who sits next to me goes outside for a smoke break at least 2-3 times an hour and he REEKS. its so bad i am going to be getting a little fan for my desk to aim in his direction. it's disgusting.

i've never understood how smokers can't realize how bad they smell. if i smoked i would have axe or some other body spray on call at all times.

ever since i can remember i have hated the smell of cigarette smoke so perhaps this bugs me more than most people. but does anyone else have this problem at work or something? it actually affects my day to day activities. i'll be on the phone with someone and this guy will walk past me after taking a smoke break and the smell just hits me like a ton of bricks and i lose my train of thought.

naturally i am kidding about them having to work in their own section. i just needed a few minutes to vent. this is something that really gets under your jeagler's skin though. :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted:

YES!
    :twisted:

seriously, i AM a former smoker, and i cannot believe i went around 20 years of my life smelling like that!

there is this woman at work - who also is a mega-bitch so just adds to her appeal :roll: - and she is at the end of my cube row so i must walk past her cube every time i need to go anywhere in the office, which is often. she is disgusting! she totally REEKS! it's almost like pigpen from charlie brown, it's like an aura of smoke and stink surrounding her. EVERYbody comments on it. nasty. she goes out like once an hour, definitely has more than one ciggie - and comes back and stinks! scary thing too...she has to go all the way outside, then come up 32 floors, and the stink is still on her! i think it sticks to some people more than others for whatever reason, b/c other smokers in the office don't smell nearly as bad. you can actually tell if she has walked where you are, there's a smoke stink trail. she also makes nasty, phelgmy coughs all day long. she is just gross.

my mom, at almost 82 now! - is still a smoker. when we pick her up to take her places, when she first enters the car can smell the smoke...her condo smells like smoke...but otherwise, she is not nearly as bad.

it really is nasty to deal with all day long at work. so i feel for ya jeags and empathize.

it is the worst thing in the world. ever.
    www.myspace.com
    pandora wrote:
    i'm officially not satisfied with them not being allowed to smoke in public buildings. after putting up with this huge ashtray of a man who has sat next to me at work for the past year, i am now in favor of them being forced to work in their own blocked off little area of the office. this dude who sits next to me goes outside for a smoke break at least 2-3 times an hour and he REEKS. its so bad i am going to be getting a little fan for my desk to aim in his direction. it's disgusting.

i've never understood how smokers can't realize how bad they smell. if i smoked i would have axe or some other body spray on call at all times.

ever since i can remember i have hated the smell of cigarette smoke so perhaps this bugs me more than most people. but does anyone else have this problem at work or something? it actually affects my day to day activities. i'll be on the phone with someone and this guy will walk past me after taking a smoke break and the smell just hits me like a ton of bricks and i lose my train of thought.

naturally i am kidding about them having to work in their own section. i just needed a few minutes to vent. this is something that really gets under your jeagler's skin though. :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted:
    since today is the 13th anniversary of my quitting smoking.i say live and let live!smokers have as much right to smoke as we do to not smoke.second hand smoke doesn't make me sick judgemental people do. :evil:
    Blenderman is making a lot of sense here

no he's not! :wave: :clap:
    www.myspace.com
    scb wrote:

You feel bad for them...but you follow that with 'it's their own damn problem'?

That would be like a smoker saying
    "I'm sorry you get migraines and nausea from third-hand smoke, but it's your own damn problem; we're not breaking any rules"
    or
    "sorry you get migraines and nausea because of your hyper-active sense of smell and weak stomach"
    or even
    "I'm sorry you have to get migraines and nausea from third-hand smoke...but I'm sure if it wasn't that, it would be something else".

kinda. right? just wondering.

and....i assume you're kidding about the comparison to alcohol....?

YES!
    :twisted:

seriously, i AM a former smoker, and i cannot believe i went around 20 years of my life smelling like that!

there is this woman at work - who also is a mega-bitch so just adds to her appeal :roll: - and she is at the end of my cube row so i must walk past her cube every time i need to go anywhere in the office, which is often. she is disgusting! she totally REEKS! it's almost like pigpen from charlie brown, it's like an aura of smoke and stink surrounding her. EVERYbody comments on it. nasty. she goes out like once an hour, definitely has more than one ciggie - and comes back and stinks! scary thing too...she has to go all the way outside, then come up 32 floors, and the stink is still on her! i think it sticks to some people more than others for whatever reason, b/c other smokers in the office don't smell nearly as bad. you can actually tell if she has walked where you are, there's a smoke stink trail. she also makes nasty, phelgmy coughs all day long. she is just gross.

my mom, at almost 82 now! - is still a smoker. when we pick her up to take her places, when she first enters the car can smell the smoke...her condo smells like smoke...but otherwise, she is not nearly as bad.

it really is nasty to deal with all day long at work. so i feel for ya jeags and empathize.

32 floors? Multiple cigs? Once an hour? Estimating her breaks are 20 minutes (and that's a quick smoke break given her criteria), she's spending nearly 3 hours of her day taking smoke breaks. When you lay it out, that's pretty damn inefficient.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL

"I'm sorry you get migraines and nausea from third-hand smoke, but it's your own damn problem; we're not breaking any rules"
    or
    "sorry you get migraines and nausea because of your hyper-active sense of smell and weak stomach"
    or even
    "I'm sorry you have to get migraines and nausea from third-hand smoke...but I'm sure if it wasn't that, it would be something else".

Nope... it's not anything like that. I feel sorry for lots of people who make bad personal decisions that cause them to have personal problems like addiction. But just because they have a problem it doesn't give them the right to infringe upon my personal health. If they want to ruin their own health, fine - but they can leave me out of it. I'll gladly support programs to help them kick their addictions if they want to.
    scb wrote:

or
    or even

Nope... it's not anything like that. I feel sorry for lots of people who make bad personal decisions that cause them to have personal problems like addiction. But just because they have a problem it doesn't give them the right to infringe upon my personal health. If they want to ruin their own health, fine - but they can leave me out of it. I'll gladly support programs to help them kick their addictions if they want to.
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    www.myspace.com
  • for the past 15 years i have worked in the Childcare Industry and at the 4 different centres i worked at we had a "smoking" policy in our staff handbook. During lunch breaks smokes had to wear a jacket or shirt provided to smoke in so it didn't stay on their clothes, when they came back they had to wash their hands and brush their teeth. This prevented any second hand smoke transferring to the children and increasing the risk of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and i must say even the having to wear a jacket really made the smoke not an issue.. but all for Children's health so thats good. For me personally i cant be around close confined spaces with smokers as i have had on numerous occasions Asthma attacks, so i avoid them, all my friends and family who smoke have never smoked inside, however i also respect their rights and dont complain about their smell.. it would however suck being near a smelly person at your work place through smoking or any other cause.. i must admit the heating up foods that are stinky is horrible!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    not only do they stink but they have yellowish tongues.

some of them also have that brown staining on their fingers that looks like they've anally investigated a squirrel.

:thumbdown:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    dunkman wrote:

some of them also have that brown staining on their fingers that looks like they've anally investigated a squirrel.

in short, all smokers are disgusting! :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    dunkman wrote:

i don't have any of those symptons..

in fact im gonna go down in the snowstorm for one right now
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    scb wrote:

I can’t shake the feeling that the level of indignation in the majority of these complaints is disproportionate to the actual discomfort – mostly just venom directed at smokers in general. But I’m glad to see a sliver of empathy, and that you don’t sound as out for blood as many are with smokers.

I guess I’m gauging the severity of this by my own experience, so….
    Do you have to work right next to these people all day? I’ve never had a job where I stood close enough to anyone long enough for a smell to be anything but a momentary inconvenience (and I was forthright enough to tell them to their face if it made me uncomfortable)…

If we’re talking about a quick wiff of smoke…boo hoo…I understand that it causes you actual physical discomfort (I assume it would need to be somewhat prolonged); sincerely – that sucks…but bottom line is that in most work places, they’re not breaking any rules, and your sensitivity is not the norm….which, by default…does make it your problem to deal with.

I would have no problem (if I were a smoker) with a policy similar to the one mentioned above – mandatory smoking jackets…washing hands/brushing teeth/gum etc should be common courtesy, and should be encouraged along with the policy…but I mean….man. Do we need regulations and rules for every little issue? Micromanage every little move in the workplace? nerf the world, right?
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Wow. What a bunch of pussies...

"Ewwwwwww it's stinky!"

How do you people use a bathroom?
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    scb wrote:

I can’t shake the feeling that the level of indignation in the majority of these complaints is disproportionate to the actual discomfort – mostly just venom directed at smokers in general. But I’m glad to see a sliver of empathy, and that you don’t sound as out for blood as many are with smokers.

I guess I’m gauging the severity of this by my own experience, so….
    Do you have to work right next to these people all day? I’ve never had a job where I stood close enough to anyone long enough for a smell to be anything but a momentary inconvenience (and I was forthright enough to tell them to their face if it made me uncomfortable)…

If we’re talking about a quick wiff of smoke…boo hoo…I understand that it causes you actual physical discomfort (I assume it would need to be somewhat prolonged); sincerely – that sucks…but bottom line is that in most work places, they’re not breaking any rules, and your sensitivity is not the norm….which, by default…does make it your problem to deal with.

I would have no problem (if I were a smoker) with a policy similar to the one mentioned above – mandatory smoking jackets…washing hands/brushing teeth/gum etc should be common courtesy, and should be encouraged along with the policy…but I mean….man. Do we need regulations and rules for every little issue? Micromanage every little move in the workplace? nerf the world, right?
    Some people just don't realize that they stink. and unfortunately, if it is not regulated in some way, then people suffer on both sides. its called common courtesy- and some people don't do it.
    I work in a kitchen, and if you go out and smoke- wash your hands after is a must. the smoke smell doesn't linger as much with the food smells in the air.

and Danimal, when you go to the bathroom- you do wash your hands, right??
    vduboise wrote:
    scb wrote:

one would hope :roll:
    www.myspace.com
    instead of jackets and stuff, why don't companies just have a guy standing in front of the door with a huge fire truck type hose to just spray those smokers down before they re-enter the building? then we can have them stand next to these industrial size space heaters for a few minutes to dry off?

this should work.
    www.myspace.com
    vduboise wrote:
    Some people just don't realize that they stink. and unfortunately, if it is not regulated in some way, then people suffer on both sides. its called common courtesy- and some people don't do it.
    I work in a kitchen, and if you go out and smoke- wash your hands after is a must. the smoke smell doesn't linger as much with the food smells in the air.

But how much are you suffering? I mean, lets be real here....are you stuck smelling this all day, or are you crying about smelling smoke for 5 seconds every couple hours?

And a kitchen is different...but fuck...do we need RULES telling us to wash our hands? Legislate common courtesy? Are we fucking gerbils or what?

I mean...we're talking about people's livelihood being manipulated by subjective rules surrounding smells and hygeine...doesnt that sound overboard to most of you? No better way of handling it?

Hypothetical - There is evidence that deoderant causes all kinds of illnesses. So if I were to stop wearing it, and either developed a errrr natural scent that you found offensive, or if I used an alternate product you didn't like the smell of....whose rights are more important? Do I need to smell like everyone else at the detriment of my health just so that you don't have to smell my subjectively offensive odour? There is no way to keep everyone happy....so kids,we need to find ways to play together without grown up supervision.

As with everything else in life - It's the overly rigid, uncompromising people on BOTH sides that cause the problems.