Valentines day?

Comments

• How should one acknowledge the day if they just began to see somebody? A few dates in, I don't want to go overboard. It's not a quite a relationship..

Should I just ask if they want to do dinner that day, but not mention it as a valentines thing?

A simple text or phone call just wishing a happy valentines day??

text??????????? noooooooooooooooo

just take her to dinner, its all good
    So, don't mention Valentines day, but ask if she's available for dinner that night even though she will most likely be out of town.
    dude,valentine's day is a week away.have you asked her to be your velentine yet?you have to ask first.if she says yes,it's your first valentine's day together,so sky's the limit...treat her like a valentine should be treated!
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    i_lov_it wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:
    I'm going to celebrate the awesomeness of being single and NOT having to cook any man a meal by getting a bacon double cheeseburger and battered onion rings in the chipper :D

Well what GOOD are YOU then!...pmsl :P

Haha! Trust me, I've done the whole cook dinner thing, but it wasn't worth it in the end so I'd rather just celebrate on my own :D ETA - I'm really happy for those who have someone to celebrate it with - it's good to dedicate some time to each other when sometimes life gets in the way.

It actually focuses me more on my Dad as he was born on the same week and has always been known as Val even though it's nowhere near his real name!

Also, Marks and Sparks do that meal-for-two thingy with lovely dessert... omnomnom 8-)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • all the ladies in my life get roses,a card,stuffed animal,alittle trinket,chocolate's. all the ladies means my wife,two daughters and my mother inlaw.and because it's saturday.i'll probably cook a nice steak dinner.if i'm lucky,at the end of the night,i'll get me some boom boom :mrgreen:

Abso-bloody-lutely! :mrgreen:

I think it's lovely that you spoil all the ladies in your life :thumbup:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Jennytree wrote:
    i_lov_it wrote:
    Jennytree wrote:
    I'm going to celebrate the awesomeness of being single and NOT having to cook any man a meal by getting a bacon double cheeseburger and battered onion rings in the chipper :D

Well what GOOD are YOU then!...pmsl :P

Haha! Trust me, I've done the whole cook dinner thing, but it wasn't worth it in the end so I'd rather just celebrate on my own :D ETA - I'm really happy for those who have someone to celebrate it with - it's good to dedicate some time to each other when sometimes life gets in the way.

It actually focuses me more on my Dad as he was born on the same week and has always been known as Val even though it's nowhere near his real name!

Also, Marks and Sparks do that meal-for-two thingy with lovely dessert... omnomnom 8-)

That's a "Pre-Requisite"..."Spits" Meh!..."Swallows" Meh!.......But if She can *COOK*...I'm IN!...PMSL :P
  • Call me pedantic but I don't think Hallmark was around in 496AD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine's_Day

Anyhoo, some people are too busy to be randomly romantic, it's nice to just set aside a day when you can be with each other and indulge in each others company. I don't think it hurts anyone to celebrate Valentine's day and if it makes your significant other feel special then surely that's better than ignoring it, saying it's a 'Hallmark holiday' and disappointing your partner... If you have one.

We're not doing presents, just cards. I don't want huge presents and massive amounts of money spent to celebrate the day, I'm more for well thought gestures and time being spent on experiences; hence why I'm making a meal and arranging a good evening together... That's not to say I'm against anyone else spending loads of money on their partner, it's just not for me.

I do find it astounding how bitter single people become around this time of year...

:D

also, the very first valentine's day card was created by a woman, a victorian woman....and then it spread from there. seriously, some people just like to piss all over everything. now hey, if that's what turns you on ;) go for it....but i just see no need to spew negativity on every little holiday. yea, it's one day, no one should need to be 'told' to be romantic, yada yada yada.....we all get it.

that said, most especially when relationships are new...i think going all-out for valentine's day is just soooo sweet! i've had many a BF in the past do amazingly special things for Vday (and sure, other days too)...but for the holiday, just too cute. and sure, i did some very sweet/sey things in turn. :D my husband has done some truly romantic gestures for the holiday and many other days as well. after 18/23 years....yea......we just have a nice dinner out, write out a romantic card.....and sure, hopefully bust up some furniture later as eyed put it. ;) outside of the card, not too different from any other great saturday night. thing is tho....these little 'markers'.....the holidays and special days....are small landmarks in your day to day, and that is what makes up your life. so just enjoy. and if you don't have someone special right now, well....you still have love in your life so give your mom a card, a friend, have a fun night - or ignore it entirely, whatever. :mrgreen:

when i was really young, i LOVEd getting roses, chocolates in a heart-shaped box, a cute stuffed animal, sexy lingerie....ya know, the obvious/usual Vday gifts. over time, i realized - for me, anyway - those were just the easy choices...and way overpriced too. so IF i got flowers for Vday, i much preferred tulips, or just a small understated bouquet, but mostly..i just love a really romantic card with a sweet/sexy/lovey hand-written note. chocolate i will ALWAYS love, but skip the wasteful packaging, just give me godiva dark chocolate truffles. :mrgreen: and sure...i never cook anyway, so lets go out to one of our fave restuarants, drink wine, eat great food and share an awesome dessert. so yea, valentine's day for me....is whatever you want it to be, just like most things.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• it's hard for me to find fault with a day specifically set aside to just be nice,
    to simply put a smile on the faces of those you love, no matter what the modern day connotations are.
    Nice shirt.
  • that said, most especially when relationships are new...i think going all-out for valentine's day is just soooo sweet! i've had many a BF in the past do amazingly special things for Vday (and sure, other days too)...but for the holiday, just too cute. and sure, i did some very sweet/sey things in turn. :D my husband has done some truly romantic gestures for the holiday and many other days as well. after 18/23 years....yea......we just have a nice dinner out, write out a romantic card.....and sure, hopefully bust up some furniture later as eyed put it. ;) outside of the card, not too different from any other great saturday night. thing is tho....these little 'markers'.....the holidays and special days....are small landmarks in your day to day, and that is what makes up your life. so just enjoy. and if you don't have someone special right now, well....you still have love in your life so give your mom a card, a friend, have a fun night - or ignore it entirely, whatever. :mrgreen: .

Our very first Valentine's day was kinda weird for both of us... we'd only been together 2 weeks! :lol: However, I cooked Dave a meal and got him a card. He had a cold at the time so I also put together a bag called my 'faultless cure all'. It included some Lemsip paracetamol sachets, some Lockets throat sweets, a pack of tissues, a box of chocolates, a hot water bottle and a teddybear :oops: I can't remember what we did last year but I know it was nothing spectacular... we're not over the top kind of people (unless i'm drunk ;)) so cards and a romantic night in is perfect and to be honest, I can always see it being like that :)

I completely agree on giving a card to an alternative loved one if you're not in a relationship. I believe it's a day to show love to your nearest and dearest, that can include a friend, a relative or even your dog if you want it to! :D
    when i was really young, i LOVEd getting roses, chocolates in a heart-shaped box, a cute stuffed animal, sexy lingerie....ya know, the obvious/usual Vday gifts. over time, i realized - for me, anyway - those were just the easy choices...and way overpriced too. so IF i got flowers for Vday, i much preferred tulips, or just a small understated bouquet, but mostly..i just love a really romantic card with a sweet/sexy/lovey hand-written note. chocolate i will ALWAYS love, but skip the wasteful packaging, just give me godiva dark chocolate truffles. :mrgreen: and sure...i never cook anyway, so lets go out to one of our fave restuarants, drink wine, eat great food and share an awesome dessert. so yea, valentine's day for me....is whatever you want it to be, just like most things.

Definately! I love just having a romantic night in, eating too much, drinking a little too much and breaking more furniture than normal ;) Valentine's day can be over priced if you let it but I find that the best experiences are the cheaper ones that take more thought.

I just wish I could tell you what we're doing but as he posts and reads here, I can't! :roll:
    it's hard for me to find fault with a day specifically set aside to just be nice,
    to simply put a smile on the faces of those you love, no matter what the modern day connotations are.

^^^^ GREAT post :thumbup:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• 5 romantic valentine's day desserts:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/ ... 02-04-2010

look pretty damn yummy!
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    This thread has started me thinking about it.

I think I'll make something - haven't thought of what yet, that's the next thing I'll think of :D

Maybe a nice dessert D2D :D
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Sian sounds far too domesticated and kind-hearted these days to be of much use during the zombie apocalypse. Not convinced she still has the skull bashing angst that is going to be required…
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Sian sounds far too domesticated and kind-hearted these days to be of much use during the zombie apocalypse. Not convinced she still has the skull bashing angst that is going to be required…

I think she will be alright in the right circumstances. Me, however, might struggle. Can you recommend a training course?
  • 5 romantic valentine's day desserts:

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/ ... 02-04-2010

look pretty damn yummy!

Yummy indeed! :shock:

The chocolate paninis look divine!! :mrgreen:

There must be chocolate on Valentine's day... t'is the law.

Claireack wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

I think she will be alright in the right circumstances. Me, however, might struggle. Can you recommend a training course?

Yeah, but you're going to have to make it from merry ol' England all the way out into the isolated mountains of central Idaho and find my fortified bunker. That's part of the test. Once here, I will train you in the undeadly arts of killing zombies.

• Claireack wrote:

I think I'll make something - haven't thought of what yet, that's the next thing I'll think of :D

the chocolate souffle looks divine!

and sian you are right...chocolate is a MUST on valentine's day!
    since we are celebrating/going out saturday night instead of sunday....we'll miss out on the usual special desserts for the day (tho our fave italian place WILL be having my fave, chocolate flourless cake - so maybe on sunday we'll just go out for dessert? ;)) but i figure, either way, maybe sunday morning breakfast.....hubby will make chocolate chip pancakes or sumthin'. ooooooooo...that reminds me, mr. dream always seems to express his love/creativity to me thru food, especially pancakes. :mrgreen: one year he made me free-form, heart-shaped pancakes.....and when i turned 40, he made me 4 pancakes....2 shaped like 4s (quite impressive!) and 2 shaped like 0s. 8-) gotta love it - and him!

hmmmmm...we're going to our fave mex place on the saturday, posted it earlier....maybe hubby will have something with the mole (mexican chocolate) sauce? at the least, i guess i will have to have mexican hot chocolate with our more than likely pumpkin flan dessert. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• eyedclaar wrote:

Are you shittin' me? I'm more than prepared Grinchypants... I just don't take it out on Dave! He'll need looking out for during the apocalypse, I'll be hacking and skull bashing for two of us. You're either with us or against us... don't make me set up an opposing camp of survivors.

(If i'm honest, Dave doesn't really believe it's going to happen... I have the biggest 'I told you so' primed, ready and stored with my machete, just for THAT day... ;) )

eyedclaar wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

Yeah, but you're going to have to make it from merry ol' England all the way out into the isolated mountains of central Idaho and find my fortified bunker. That's part of the test. Once here, I will train you in the undeadly arts of killing zombies.

I'll set off after breakfast tommorrow.
  • Claireack wrote:

the chocolate souffle looks divine!

and sian you are right...chocolate is a MUST on valentine's day!
    since we are celebrating/going out saturday night instead of sunday....we'll miss out on the usual special desserts for the day (tho our fave italian place WILL be having my fave, chocolate flourless cake - so maybe on sunday we'll just go out for dessert? ;)) but i figure, either way, maybe sunday morning breakfast.....hubby will make chocolate chip pancakes or sumthin'. ooooooooo...that reminds me, mr. dream always seems to express his love/creativity to me thru food, especially pancakes. :mrgreen: one year he made me free-form, heart-shaped pancakes.....and when i turned 40, he made me 4 pancakes....2 shaped like 4s (quite impressive!) and 2 shaped like 0s. 8-) gotta love it - and him!

hmmmmm...we're going to our fave mex place on the saturday, posted it earlier....maybe hubby will have something with the mole (mexican chocolate) sauce? at the least, i guess i will have to have mexican hot chocolate with our more than likely pumpkin flan dessert. :mrgreen:

Ohhhh I want to try mole! I have a recipe actually... I might make it :think:

Your hubby sounds lovely, you're a lucky lady! :D

• mole is delish...tho doesn't taste chocolatey. none the less, good!
    and yes...i am....but really, so is he. ;)

and.....
    acme heart maker:
    http://www.acme.com/heartmaker/heartmak ... 1809420102

"Contrary to the grumblings of all those heart-day humbugs out there, Valentine’s is not some capitalist conspiracy created by purveyors of greeting cards, flowers, and candy. In fact, as far back as Roman times, love matches were made during a mid- February fertility festival. And in the fifth century Pope Gelasius officially declared February 14 Saint Valentine’s Day."

corny-cute valentine ideas:
    http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-ente ... index.html
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• awwwww.......

The History of Valentine's Day (and Kissing)

Instead of whispering sweet nothings, impress your sweetheart with these Valentine’s Day facts.

* No one knows the real story behind Saint Valentine (at least three different saints named Valentine are recognized by the Roman Catholic church), but one legend claims that he secretly married young couples against the orders of an emperor who had banned marriage because he believed single men made better soldiers.

* Today’s tradition of trading love notes on February 14 became popular in England in the 17th century.

* The first box of chocolates was introduced by Richard Cadbury in 1868.

* The oldest known valentine card dates back to the 1400s. Charles, duke of Orleans, sent it to his wife while he was imprisoned in the Tower of London.

* So-called vinegar valentines, which carried insults like “Ugly, Fat, and Forty,” were popular in the 19th century. They were sent anonymously on the 14th.

* “Be Mine,” one of the original messages on Necco’s Sweethearts candies when they debuted, still appears every year. Recent additions? “IM Me” and “Go Girl.”

But there’s plenty you may still not know about philematology, or the science of snogging (seriously, it has a name). So wrap your orbicularis oris muscles (lips) around these tidbits of trivia, and next time you greet your valentine, you can kiss and tell.

* Some anthropologists believe that kissing originated with early Homo sapiens passing food to their babies mouth to mouth. As humans developed, the mouth-to-mouth feeding stopped, but the learned behavior of kissing remained.

* The first on-screen kiss was between John C. Rice and May Irwin in the 1896 movie appropriately titled The Kiss.

* Birds and bees may not be able to kiss, but bonobo apes do. The oft-studied primates, who are closely connected to humans, love to lay one on each other after a fight, to form social bonds, or―arguably the best reason―just because.

* As a prelude to KISS, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley, Peter Criss, and Ace Frehley were known as Wicked Lester. In 1973 Stanley had the idea to change the band’s name to KISS, while Frehley came up with the iconic design for the KISS logo.

* They may not have been sitting in a tree, but British couple James Belshaw and Sophia Severin achieved a record for k-i-s-s-i-n-g back in 2005, when they smooched for 31 hours, 30 minutes, and 30 seconds. No word on whether it led to love, marriage, or a baby in a carriage.

:D

and hmmmmm...i could've sworn that i read and/or saw on some documentary that a victorian woman sent the first valentine. maybe it was the first christmas card? :? eh, so many useless facts spin round my head...;)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Headed to the bar. Fuck this holiday
    eyedclaar wrote:

Are you shittin' me? I'm more than prepared Grinchypants... I just don't take it out on Dave! He'll need looking out for during the apocalypse, I'll be hacking and skull bashing for two of us. You're either with us or against us... don't make me set up an opposing camp of survivors.

(If i'm honest, Dave doesn't really believe it's going to happen... I have the biggest 'I told you so' primed, ready and stored with my machete, just for THAT day... ;) )

That sounds like the Sian I remember. Ok, we’re cool. But listen, you know I’ve long suspected those select few who “don’t believe” in the imminent zombie apocalypse are most likely going to be the ones behind the whole thing. Just sayin’. Watch your back; we need you to survive the initial wave.

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:

That sounds like the Sian I remember. Ok, we’re cool. But listen, you know I’ve long suspected those select few who “don’t believe” in the imminent zombie apocalypse are most likely going to be the ones behind the whole thing. Just sayin’. Watch your back; we need you to survive the initial wave.

Surviving the apocalypse has been dominate me and my friends' conversations. It'll end up like the Donner Party - everyone eating each other. Mass hysteria.
    Surviving the apocalypse has been dominate me and my friends' conversations. It'll end up like the Donner Party - everyone eating each other. Mass hysteria.

Sure will. I have a vast wilderness to hide in and nothing personal, but if I catch any of you poking around in my woods, I will shoot and eat you. Happy V-Day everyone!

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    eyedclaar wrote:

Sure will. I have a vast wilderness to hide in and nothing personal, but if I catch any of you poking around in my woods, I will shoot and eat you. Happy V-Day everyone!

This is what I said. The cities will be concrete jungles. I'm either heading for the water, or the middle of the woods.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I'm taking the fiance' to lunch at The Ivy, and then to see the Harlem Globetrotters. She grew fond of the two Globetrotters during the amazing race, so I knew she wouldn't count it as going to a sporting event!
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    eyedclaar wrote:
    We'll probably get drunk and wrestle until we break some furniture and scare the cats.
    You crazy DINKs!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    norm wrote:
    Whizbang wrote:
    I knew a girl who said Valentine's Day is the Super Bowl for women.

picardfacepalm.jpg

HOWLING!!!!!

If Valentine's is your thing, then celebrate it.....but be honest and open about it. It's not my thing as there are 364 other days of the year to tell someone that you care about them. I'd rather be alone one day a year than wish I was the other 364.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • chime wrote:
    What's Valentine's Day?? :oops:

I just ignore it :?
    same here.
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    metsfan wrote:
    Whizbang wrote:
    Well...I'd say your friend was a dick for not paying attention to his wife's wants/needs and he got what he deserved. On the contrary, if she expected him to get her something without ever communicating that Valentine's Day was important to her, she's just as much to blame.

For me? It's day 14 of the month the world was graced with my arrival. ;) I celebrate my birthday in someway every day of the month. The 14th is just another day during my month long celebration. :D

Valentine's Day is a bullshit Hallmark holiday created to make men feel guilty for something they cannot do - read a woman's mind. It is designed to make women feel inadequate if their man doesn't get them something "good". I knew a girl who said Valentine's Day is the Super Bowl for women. Aside from nearly punching her in the face for putting the Super Bowl in the same sentence, I found it a pathetic representation of lots women.

I'm divorced and happily single. Valentine's was something my ex-husband and I discussed early on....during courtship. It wasn't important to either of us and we agreed to not make a big deal of it. Much preferred the random nicety, special dinner, etc than socially forced romance....and so did he.
    why can't all women by like you

Know1 hit the nail on the head in regards to V-day

I've always been single on vday and I'm glad I am lol

mets...they broke the mold when they made me.....

beat the shit out of the mold maker too.... ;)
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    i_lov_it wrote:
    That's a "Pre-Requisite"..."Spits" Meh!..."Swallows" Meh!.......But if She can *COOK*...I'm IN!...PMSL :P

Nothin' worse than having to eat horrible dinner while trying to be nice ;)
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!