Valentines day?

Comments

• eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Oh, right.. V-day. :think:

I've never paid much attention to it. Ok, when I was younger yes. But it's always been traditionally more about friendship here, than romantic relationships. :think: (Valentine's Day = Ystävänpäivä = "friend's day" ) So I've sent a few cards out to friends maybe. :)

It is starting to become more mushy-mushy-lovey-dovey thing here too, but like I said, I just ignore it mostly. :P
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • i always send a card to my mom. :)

oh and i am soooo looking forward to the total chick-flick valentine's day, no matter how bad it may ultimately be. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    eMMI wrote:

I've never paid much attention to it. Ok, when I was younger yes. But it's always been traditionally more about friendship here, than romantic relationships. :think: (Valentine's Day = Ystävänpäivä = "friend's day" ) So I've sent a few cards out to friends maybe. :)

It is starting to become more mushy-mushy-lovey-dovey thing here too, but like I said, I just ignore it mostly. :P

You guys have a lot of dots over your words...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    eyedclaar wrote:
    eMMI wrote:

You guys have a lot of dots over your words...

Keeps things interesting.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Hell, I hadn't even thought about it yet!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    I'll buy the woman a card, and then watch the Daytona 500.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Jennytree wrote:
    I'm going to celebrate the awesomeness of being single and NOT having to cook any man a meal by getting a bacon double cheeseburger and battered onion rings in the chipper :D

Well what GOOD are YOU then!...pmsl :P
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I don't care what Hubby & I do as long as we are hand in hand :D
  • know1 wrote:
    Just another day. If you need specified holiday to be romantic or nice to the one you love, then you're beyond help anyway. I'd rather do something for someone or have them do something for me on some random day rather than when they feel like they have to.
    I had a friend of mine who had that exact same, bullshit, horseshit, attitude when it came to Valentines Day. Had that same stupid attitude for 20 years.

I dont need a Hallmark Holiday!
    Nobody ever tells me when to be nice!
    I dont need to show my love, by buying candy or roses!

His wife finally threw the idiot out of the house last year........hehehehehehe

True Story....

What the fuck is so hard with buying some roses, or going out for dinner??? What is so hard about buying her some candy and telling her you Love her??

The anti-Valentines day people, are just as silly as the "I hate Christmas people".........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    How should one acknowledge the day if they just began to see somebody? A few dates in, I don't want to go overboard. It's not a quite a relationship..

Should I just ask if they want to do dinner that day, but not mention it as a valentines thing?

A simple text or phone call just wishing a happy valentines day??
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    How should one acknowledge the day if they just began to see somebody? A few dates in, I don't want to go overboard. It's not a quite a relationship..

Should I just ask if they want to do dinner that day, but not mention it as a valentines thing?

Is it too early for the ol' dick in a box v-day gift?
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • FirstExitFirstExit Los Angeles Posts: 973
    My dad's birthday is the Tuesday prior, so I'll be coming home from college that weekend and spending time with the family :D
    eyedclaar wrote:

Is it too early for the ol' dick in a box v-day gift?
    I will take that idea into consideration.. Thanks! 8-)
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

text??????????? noooooooooooooooo

just take her to dinner, its all good
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

So, don't mention Valentines day, but ask if she's available for dinner that night even though she will most likely be out of town.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

So, don't mention Valentines day, but asking if she's available for dinner that night even though she will most likely be out of town.

i think she will realize its that time of the year anyway

so wheter or not you mention it ,its semi-implied ( is that a word)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276

give her a bag of these but only give her the kiss me ones. perhaps she will get the hint. :mrgreen:

actually, if you want give her a card, some chocolate and go out to dinner. you'll note i didn't say roses. you don't want to set that precedent. :mrgreen: if you need help picking out the right card, feel free to stop by my office and we can run over to the card store at lunch. i've got a knack for picking good cards.

stock-photo-be-mine-kiss-me-you-rule-you-rock-xoxo-valentine-candy-hearts-communicating-words-of-love-on-a-14706289.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

i think she will realize its that time of the year anyway

so wheter or not you mention it ,its semi-implied ( is that a word)
    Got ya.. just mentioning I want to spend a little time with her should be sufficiant.
    81 wrote:

give her a bag of these but only give her the kiss me ones. perhaps she will get the hint. :mrgreen:

actually, if you want give her a card, some chocolate and go out to dinner. you'll note i didn't say roses. you don't want to set that precedent. :mrgreen: if you need help picking out the right card, feel free to stop by my office and we can run over to the card store at lunch. i've got a knack for picking good cards.

stock-photo-be-mine-kiss-me-you-rule-you-rock-xoxo-valentine-candy-hearts-communicating-words-of-love-on-a-14706289.jpg
    Haha!.. too early for gifts, but thanks.
  • bunnybunny Posts: 270
    edited February 2010
    i want KISS ME-marshmallows too!
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Eh, for the most part, it really doesn't sound that different between the two countries. Here, men and women in loveless relationships and marriages feel obligated to buy shit for each other. Of course, that isn't always the case, but all too often...
    thanks reply.
    I've heard before, In other countries, both men and women exchange gifts on Valentines Day..
    celebration of affection..(??)
    very sweeeet !

here,maybe..a day for young girls in love..
    but i'll try to do something different from usual :P :idea:
    Post edited by bunny on
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    know1 wrote:
    Just another day. If you need specified holiday to be romantic or nice to the one you love, then you're beyond help anyway. I'd rather do something for someone or have them do something for me on some random day rather than when they feel like they have to.
    I had a friend of mine who had that exact same, bullshit, horseshit, attitude when it came to Valentines Day. Had that same stupid attitude for 20 years.

True Story....

What the fuck is so hard with buying some roses, or going out for dinner??? What is so hard about buying her some candy and telling her you Love her??

The anti-Valentines day people, are just as silly as the "I hate Christmas people".........

Well...I'd say your friend was a dick for not paying attention to his wife's wants/needs and he got what he deserved. On the contrary, if she expected him to get her something without ever communicating that Valentine's Day was important to her, she's just as much to blame.

For me? It's day 14 of the month the world was graced with my arrival. ;) I celebrate my birthday in someway every day of the month. The 14th is just another day during my month long celebration. :D

Valentine's Day is a bullshit Hallmark holiday created to make men feel guilty for something they cannot do - read a woman's mind. It is designed to make women feel inadequate if their man doesn't get them something "good". I knew a girl who said Valentine's Day is the Super Bowl for women. Aside from nearly punching her in the face for putting the Super Bowl in the same sentence, I found it a pathetic representation of lots women.

I'm divorced and happily single. Valentine's was something my ex-husband and I discussed early on....during courtship. It wasn't important to either of us and we agreed to not make a big deal of it. Much preferred the random nicety, special dinner, etc than socially forced romance....and so did he.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Whizbang wrote:
    know1 wrote:

True Story....

Well...I'd say your friend was a dick for not paying attention to his wife's wants/needs and he got what he deserved. On the contrary, if she expected him to get her something without ever communicating that Valentine's Day was important to her, she's just as much to blame.

For me? It's day 14 of the month the world was graced with my arrival. ;) I celebrate my birthday in someway every day of the month. The 14th is just another day during my month long celebration. :D

Valentine's Day is a bullshit Hallmark holiday created to make men feel guilty for something they cannot do - read a woman's mind. It is designed to make women feel inadequate if their man doesn't get them something "good". I knew a girl who said Valentine's Day is the Super Bowl for women. Aside from nearly punching her in the face for putting the Super Bowl in the same sentence, I found it a pathetic representation of lots women.

I'm divorced and happily single. Valentine's was something my ex-husband and I discussed early on....during courtship. It wasn't important to either of us and we agreed to not make a big deal of it. Much preferred the random nicety, special dinner, etc than socially forced romance....and so did he.
    why can't all women by like you

Know1 hit the nail on the head in regards to V-day

I've always been single on vday and I'm glad I am lol
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I MAY have been "CONCIEVED" on Valentine's Day...Think about it!...My *Birthday* is Early November!...lol :lol:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Whizbang wrote:
    I knew a girl who said Valentine's Day is the Super Bowl for women.

picardfacepalm.jpg
  • JoJo Posts: 2,098
    [quote="SPEEDY MCCREADYI had a friend of mine who had that exact same, bullshit, horseshit, attitude when it came to Valentines Day. Had that same stupid attitude for 20 years.

True Story....

The anti-Valentines day people, are just as silly as the "I hate Christmas people".........[/quote]

Hey, this is like my bloke! I tell him because I get nothing at anytime of the year ( Xmas and Birthdays included), Valentines day is for people like him. Just one day of the year do something romantic!
  • Call me pedantic but I don't think Hallmark was around in 496AD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine's_Day

Anyhoo, some people are too busy to be randomly romantic, it's nice to just set aside a day when you can be with each other and indulge in each others company. I don't think it hurts anyone to celebrate Valentine's day and if it makes your significant other feel special then surely that's better than ignoring it, saying it's a 'Hallmark holiday' and disappointing your partner... If you have one.

We're not doing presents, just cards. I don't want huge presents and massive amounts of money spent to celebrate the day, I'm more for well thought gestures and time being spent on experiences; hence why I'm making a meal and arranging a good evening together... That's not to say I'm against anyone else spending loads of money on their partner, it's just not for me.

I do find it astounding how bitter single people become around this time of year...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    I do find it astounding how bitter single people become around this time of year...

I don't think it's bitter about other people enjoying it.

It's just the one day a year where you are really made to feel like and acknowledge that you are 'alone'. Sat for a couple of weeks listening to people discussing their plans for the day that you can't join in, what they are going to buy ... if it falls on a work day seeing dozens of bouquets being delivered to work. I guess I just try to ignore it because I'm an outsider to the whole thing *shrugs*
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    It's like Mothers Day, Fathers Day, etc. I do understand that one does not need a dictate to say 'on this day, you celebrate/thank/whatever your mum, dad, lover, husband....' but it's a way of refocussing maybe. Of course, it is commercial but as Sian mentioned, a nice meal, setting aside a bit of time for the other person is much better than the 'obligatory' bouquet or present.

I do understand that singles may feel left out, though I never did.
  • I've been single for Valentine's day and I was more like Pippa, although it was a stark reminder of how 'alone' I was, I just ignored it. I would tell people how nice their partners gestures were and smile if a colleague got flowers, chocolates etc... I would even plan what I was going to do for my partner when eventually I wasn't alone on Valentine's day! (one of which plans is being carried out on the 14th 8-) ) However, I would never openly say "it's just a shit holiday, I don't need to be told when to love someone... etc etc.." that, to me, just smacks of bitterness and above all, loneliness but not knowing how to publicly deal with it. Especially if everyone around you knows you're single.

We have to remember that all annual occasions like Valentine's day, Mother's day, Christmas etc are always going to be hard for a certain percentage of the population, but that doesn't mean those who are willing to celebrate or have reason to should be told their plans or the event itself is 'shit' or pointless. Father's day is going to be very hard for me this year but the last thing i'll do is come on here and slag off the day or people who are celebrating it. I'm more likely to come on here and smile at what others have written about their dads. Life's what you make it and if you're a glass half empty person, being single on a day like Valentine's day will more than likely make you bitter.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • all the ladies in my life get roses,a card,stuffed animal,alittle trinket,chocolate's. all the ladies means my wife,two daughters and my mother inlaw.and because it's saturday.i'll probably cook a nice steak dinner.if i'm lucky,at the end of the night,i'll get me some boom boom :mrgreen: