THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    i'm astounded at your idiocy if you truly believe what i put in bold.

He's just "tweaking" you

:lol:

its like communicating with a door knob.

now i know what fixer feels like talking to him in the phils thread. good lord.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    i'm astounded at your idiocy if you truly believe what i put in bold.

He's just "tweaking" you

:lol:

yup for rational thought side with a guy who thinks the phils are better off with Ross Gload at 1st base than Ryan Howard. might want to choose your battle buddies a little more wisely :D
    pjhawks wrote:

yup for rational thought side with a guy who thinks the phils are better off with Ross Gload at 1st base than Ryan Howard. might want to choose your battle buddies a little more wisely :D

you're irrational there. you're irrational here. you're condescending there. you're condescending here. same difference.
    www.myspace.com
    and daily news talks about Jim Mora not coming here because of family reasons. family lives in seattle and loves it there. figures he can work for broncos and family still live in seattle.
    pjhawks wrote:
    and daily news talks about Jim Mora not coming here because of family reasons. family lives in seattle and loves it there. figures he can work for broncos and family still live in seattle.

right.

thank god. not a fan of his.
    www.myspace.com
    to sum up what we've seen here today, i think theres 3 kinds of eagles fans.

1-those that follow andy reid and the organization blindly wihout acknowledging their faults.

2-those that hate andy reid and upper management with such disdain that it overshadows any of their accomplishments, including having a chance in the playoffs most of the time.

3-pragmatists who can see both sides of the argument. those that are appreciative of always having a cometitive team but, at the same time, are skeptical of the same deficiencies that have popped up every year.

i like to consider myself a pragmatist in all manners of life. everything isn't always black or white to me. reid's gonna be back no matter what. it's not even worth debating. he's done a great job year after year of putting a competitive team on the field. he's turned this team over about 3 times now and they've all had a measure of success. that is to be commended. you gotta love having a shot every year, even while rebuilding.

but that doesn't mean you can't look at him critically. his defensive philosophy of going after smaller/finesse type players needs to change a bit. his reliance on the big play/quick strike offense needs to change. the issues he has had for years with game management still need improvement. i think if you take a step back and look at this objectively, you'd agree with this assesment. i think it's pretty fair.

so i can see why people are so frustrated that they want him gone. i totally get that. it's been 12 years. it's been 50 since a championship. people have every right to be frustrated as hell. but i can also see why people would want to give the guy a lifetime contract since we're in the mix just about every year. then again, who is to say that if we would have gone a different direction 3 years ago we wouldnt be in the same spot or better right now? there's no way of knowing. both sides have a case here. this point is, it's not as cut and dry as people make it out. it's not black and white. it's kind of like politics. you have the lunatic left wanting to fire reid every year......and then the fringe right wanting to make him a king for life.

maybe this is why i became an independent years ago. :lol:

sorry for the ramble. carry on.
    www.myspace.com

1-those that follow andy reid and the organization blindly wihout acknowledging their faults.

2-those that hate andy reid and upper management with such disdain that it overshadows any of their accomplishments, including having a chance in the playoffs most of the time.

3-pragmatists who can see both sides of the argument. those that are appreciative of always having a cometitive team but, at the same time, are skeptical of the same deficiencies that have popped up every year.

i like to consider myself a pragmatist in all manners of life. everything isn't always black or white to me. reid's gonna be back no matter what. it's not even worth debating. he's done a great job year after year of putting a competitive team on the field. he's turned this team over about 3 times now and they've all had a measure of success. that is to be commended. you gotta love having a shot every year, even while rebuilding.

but that doesn't mean you can't look at him critically. his defensive philosophy of going after smaller/finesse type players needs to change a bit. his reliance on the big play/quick strike offense needs to change. the issues he has had for years with game management still need improvement. i think if you take a step back and look at this objectively, you'd agree with this assesment. i think it's pretty fair.

so i can see why people are so frustrated that they want him gone. i totally get that. it's been 12 years. it's been 50 since a championship. people have every right to be frustrated as hell. but i can also see why people would want to give the guy a lifetime contract since we're in the mix just about every year. then again, who is to say that if we would have gone a different direction 3 years ago we wouldnt be in the same spot or better right now? there's no way of knowing. both sides have a case here. this point is, it's not as cut and dry as people make it out. it's not black and white. it's kind of like politics. you have the lunatic left wanting to fire reid every year......and then the fringe right wanting to make him a king for life.

Jaegs i don't see myself as a blind loyalist of Reid at all. I know he has faults i just argue that every coach has faults and you can nitpick any coach to death. the time management, time-outs and his no-clue on what to challenge drive me crazy at times as well but i am of the school of it's not the method but the results. no one way of coaching works. it is an in-exact science. I've also seen enough coaching changes in all sports to know that you damn well better be sure you are making the right move before getting rid of a good coach because the ratio of bad coaches to good coaches is astronomically high, probably 7 or 8 to 1 in my mind. I'd have to look it up but there have probably been well over 100 head coaches in the nfl since Reid has been in Philly, and maybe 3 or 4 with more success. I'll keep taking my chances as long as things still look up, and right now they still look up for this team.

to use an analogy (and this will probably totally come out wrong but i'm gonna give it a shot):
    suppose you have 2 people trying to get through a door at a house, one is standing on the porch knocking on the door trying to break through but hasn't been successful yet. the 2nd is standing at a 4-way corner a mile away, he tells you knows the path to take but you can't be sure. he has a 25% of guessing which direction to head and even if he chooses the right direction to go he still has to find the right house, lessening his chances even greater, and then make his way up on the porch to the door and try and knock his way through it as well . now i ask you, wouldn't you think the guy standing at the door, even if he has been there for 12 years, has a better chance of getting through that door than the guy a mile away that you can't be sure is even on the right path?
    pjhawks wrote:

Jaegs i don't see myself as a blind loyalist of Reid at all. I know he has faults i just argue that every coach has faults and you can nitpick any coach to death. the time management, time-outs and his no-clue on what to challenge drive me crazy at times as well but i am of the school of it's not the method but the results. no one way of coaching works. it is an in-exact science. I've also seen enough coaching changes in all sports to know that you damn well better be sure you are making the right move before getting rid of a good coach because the ratio of bad coaches to good coaches is astronomically high, probably 7 or 8 to 1 in my mind. I'd have to look it up but there have probably been well over 100 head coaches in the nfl since Reid has been in Philly, and maybe 3 or 4 with more success. I'll keep taking my chances as long as things still look up, and right now they still look up for this team.

to use an analogy (and this will probably totally come out wrong but i'm gonna give it a shot):
    suppose you have 2 people trying to get through a door at a house, one is standing on the porch knocking on the door trying to break through but hasn't been successful yet. the 2nd is standing at a 4-way corner a mile away, he tells you knows the path to take but you can't be sure. he has a 25% of guessing which direction to head and even if he chooses the right direction to go he still has to find the right house, lessening his chances even greater, and then make his way up on the porch to the door and try and knock his way through it as well . now i ask you, wouldn't you think the guy standing at the door, even if he has been there for 12 years, has a better chance of getting through that door than the guy a mile away that you can't be sure is even on the right path?

boy you sure come across as an option 1 guy :mrgreen: . you didn't seem to even acknowledge a different point of view could exist today, or most days really. but i digress...

the difference between you and i is i understand your points (earlier you said you did not understand mine). they are valid. it's the reason why i don't want reid to go at this point either. he deserves a chance to finish what he's started with this current crop of players. give him another year or so and see what happens.

i'm glad that you are acknowledging that he has faults here though. it is refreshing to see. and while it's true that every coach has faults, you'd think that in 12 years he'd improve in some of those areas. off the top of my head i can't think of anything, game management-wise, that he's improved on. can you? i'm sure there are some. after 12 years, you'd think someone would have improved more though. and it's not like they are little annoyances that just pop up from time to time. you can point to them in every deciding game he has coached in--that's my biggest beef. i don't think he's ever at his absolute best when we need him to be.

but i also understand your analogy but don't agree that it will almost assuredly set you back forever. there's been quite a few examples in just the last few years of coaches taking over and turning a franchise around in a very short amount of time. it's an unknown so naturally there is a risk. but we took a similar risk with moving on from mcnabb last year.

like i said, i don't think we're at that point yet with reid. but as a pragmatist, i can certainly see why people would feel that way. certainly people can debate this without reverting to the childish behaviour we saw today though.

god speed.
    www.myspace.com
    kapadia must be reading my posts. here's his analysis on jauron's mediocre defenses:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/movi ... nator.html
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    this certainly isn't encouraging...

The reasons are myriad, but they start with the most volatile player on the Philadelphia offense, QB Michael Vick.

Vick is playing so poorly that Sal Paolantonio said in a recent interview with ESPN Radio host John Kincade that Reid could bench Vick in the playoffs if his play did not improve.

There is good reason for Reid to feel that way. This season, Vick has a 4.6 percent bad-decision rate (a bad decision being defined as when a quarterback does something with the ball that leads either to a turnover or a near turnover such as a dropped interception).

To put that total into perspective, consider that it is nine-tenths of a percentage point higher than the 3.7 percent mark Brett Favre posted with the Jets in 2008. Favre's 22 interceptions were the most in the league that year and Vick's risk-taking pace this season has been significantly higher.

So why aren't Vick's interception totals higher? As was noted back in November, he's been quite lucky. He now has 25 near-interceptions to go along with his six interceptions and has thrown at least one pick in five straight games after having not thrown one in his first seven contests.

It's not just Vick's luck that has been running out. Lost in the tumult that was The Miracle of The New Meadowlands is that Vick had a really bad start to that game. In the seven quarters that bookended the comeback (i.e., the first three of the Week 15 Giants game and the full Week 16 game against the Vikings), Vick's passer rating was an abysmal 73.2.

That is not a good place to be when facing the Packers' defense. They have allowed the lowest passer rating of any team in the league (67.2) and rank second in interceptions (24). They also have nearly picked off 33 other passes and have forced opposing quarterbacks into bad decisions on 3.1 percent of their throws (3 percent being the benchmark for elite performance in this category).

Green Bay also has a set of very good cornerbacks, Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams. Woodson gets more attention because of his history, but Williams actually has a better yards per attempt (YPA) total than Woodson (5.9 for Williams, 7.4 for Woodson). Take out the 85-yard touchdown Williams gave up to Mario Manningham in Week 16 when he slipped in coverage, and his YPA total would drop to 4.9, which is a 2006 Champ Bailey-like number. Together, Woodson and Williams are quite capable of slowing down the Eagles' star wide receiver pairing of DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin.

If that isn't enough, the Packers also rank second in the league in sacks. The book on Vick is that his performance goes south whenever he gets hit, and this stat indicates Green Bay is quite capable of doing that.

you know what? i was on joyner's blog tonight and stumbled upon this article. you left out the first part and last part where he says because of these vick struggles reid should opt to run the ball more against the packers.

here's the first part:

"In preparing for the 2010 playoffs, Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid might do well to reflect on the lessons that can be learned from the career of a former great NFC East head coach, George Allen.

Allen was a man of many idiosyncrasies -- the most notable being his reliance on veteran players. He had very little use for rookies and was more than glad to trade draft picks for vets he knew would operate his complicated systems effectively.

This approach was successful in many ways, as Allen's NFL teams posted a 116-47-5 record. He never had a losing season and made the playoffs seven times in 12 campaigns. In seven seasons with the Washington Redskins (1971-77), Allen reached the postseason five times; in five seasons with the Los Angeles Rams (1966-70), he made the playoffs twice.

The problem for Allen, quite simply, was that as effective as his system was during the regular season, it came up short during the playoffs. His squads won only two playoff contests, both during the 1972 postseason. Each of the other six times his clubs reached the playoffs, they lost the opening game.

A major reason his teams fell short come playoff time is that the old legs on his ballplayers couldn't keep up with the younger legs of the opposing team. Evidence of this shows up in Allen's monthly won/loss record. His ballclubs went 26-4 in September and 96-34-5 in October and November, but fell to a 22-20 mark in December and January.

Despite this apparent weakness, Allen never varied his approach. He just kept calling for older players. This was almost certainly why an Allen-coached team never won a Super Bowl.

Reid has been in much the same boat in his career when it comes to his reliance on the passing game; his answer to pretty much any game-plan issue has been to lean on his aerial attack, but deeper research into this weekend's matchup against the Green Bay Packers shows why this mindset would be a huge mistake for the Eagles."

and here are the last two paragraphs:

"All these statistics show that Philadelphia should get away from a pass-heavy scheme versus Green Bay, but the one that cinches it is this number: The Packers allow 4.7 rushing yards per carry. That is tied for 28th-highest in the league and is only one-tenth of a yard away from ranking dead last.

This is why Andy Reid needs to show he is capable of doing what George Allen never could -- get away from his preferred modus operandi when the situation calls for it. If Reid cannot put together an effective ground-and-pound offense to take advantage of the glaring weakness on the Green and Gold defense, his Eagles likely will come up short of their Super Bowl goal once again."

really don't mean to start this up again. but after today's back and forth and then stumbling upon this full article i thought it was worth posting what fixer left out. if only reid would have read this :lol::mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    put together some stats on Reid's tenure. feel free to analyze these as you wish and draw your own conclusions. Most interesting stats to me are at the very bottom, Andy's playoff records. this is going to be a long post (bored at work and have the time so...):

Total Regular Season Wining % since 1999 per team
    1 - Colts - 138 wins 71.88%
    2 - Pats - 134 wins 69.79%
    3 - Steelers - 121 wins - 63.02%
    4 - Eagles - 118 wins - 61.46%
    5 - Packers - 113 wins - 58.85%
    6 - Ravens - 112 wins - 58.33%
    7 - Titans - 110 wins - 57.29%
    8 - Giants - 105 wins - 54.69%
    9 - Broncos - 103 wins - 53.65%
    10 - Chargers - 102 wins - 53.13%
    5 of the top 10 in winning percentage did not win a title in this span

Total Number of Teams that had better, worse, or same records on a year-by-year basis
    since 1999: total 369 team 'seasons', 95 teams with better records (25.75%), 240 worse records (65.04%) and 34 same records (9.21%) - so the Eagles under Reid have been same or better in the regular season than 74.25% of all teams

Same above not counting 1999 Reid's 1st year.
    Total 339 team seasons, 70 better (20.64), 239 worse (70.50%), 30 same (8.84%) so Eagles under Reid better or same in regular season than 79.35% of all teams. Number goes to 83.12% when also taking out 2005 year of Mike McMahon

Number of Playoff Appearances since 1999 not including this season:
    1 - Colts - 10
    2 - Eagles - 8
    3 - Pats - 7
    4 - Steelers - 6
    5 - Packers - 6
    6 - Ravens - 6
    7 - Titans - 6
    8 - Giants - 6
    9 - Buccaneers - 6
    10 - Seahawks - 6
    again 5 teams in this list have not won a Super Bowl since 1999

Playoff Wins since 1999 not including this season:
    1 - Pats - 14
    2 - Colts - 10
    3 - Steelers - 10
    4 - Eagles - 10
    5 - Ravens - 7
    6 - Giants - 6
    7 - Rams - 6
    8 - Titans - 5
    9 - Saints - 5
    10 - Panthers - 5

Playoff Winning % since 1999 not including this season:
    1 - Pats - 77.78% in 7 appearances
    2 - Steelers - 71.43% in 6 appearances
    3 - Saints - 71.43% - in 3 appearances
    4 - Cardinals - 66.67% - 2 appearances
    5 - Panthers - 62.50% - 3 appearances
    6 - Rams - 60.00% - 5 appearances
    7 - Ravens - 58.33% - 6 appearances
    8 - Raiders - 57.14 - 3 appearances
    9 - Eagles - 55.56% - 8 appeanaces
    10 - Giants - 54.55% - 6 appearances

8 franchises have won Super Bowls since 1999: Pats (3), Steelers (2), Bucs, Rams, Ravens, Giants, Colts, Saints

Andy's playoff record: 10-9 (including this season)
    As a Higher Seeded team - 7-3
    As a Lower Seeded team - 3-5
    Super Bowl - 0-1
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Jim Washburn from the Titans would be a great fit for DL coach, perhaps DC? I hear he will be visiting with the Eagles....
    crazypjfan wrote:
    Jim Washburn from the Titans would be a great fit for DL coach, perhaps DC? I hear he will be visiting with the Eagles....

i like washburn. i'm all for him....the fact that they may hire him before hiring a dc tells me they already know who they're going to hire...interesting...

are the cowboys really thinking of trading bryant? that's gotta be bogus right?
    www.myspace.com
    4-12...we didnt have a SB win....13-3 we didn't win the SB either

But hey...we make the playoffs every year and continue to lose the same way

Why change anything ? .500 Coach in the playoffs...has lost numerous playoff games as a favorite..but hey..we make the playoffs every year

see stats above, 7-3 as a higher seeded team in the playoffs and 3 wins as a lower seed. not bad at all
    done deal. birds sign washburn to coach d line. i like it.

wonder if they may try and get haynesworth now. put him back in a 4-3 scheme. washburn obviously got the most out of him and was the only coach he played hard for. a huge tackle is definitely a need for the birds. horrible dude, but it may be worth gamble. something to think about...
    www.myspace.com

wonder if they may try and get haynesworth now. put him back in a 4-3 scheme. washburn obviously got the most out of him and was the only coach he played hard for. a huge tackle is definitely a need for the birds. horrible dude, but it may be worth gamble. something to think about...

ugh you can't be serious. haynesworth is the biggest dog in the league. i wouldn't sign him for a dollar.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    pjhawks wrote:

ugh you can't be serious. haynesworth is the biggest dog in the league. i wouldn't sign him for a dollar.

Yeah, but he once wasn't a dog.
    pjhawks wrote:

Yeah, but he once wasn't a dog.

right. certain people had a similar reaction to the vick signing too. ;)
    reid obviously loves those reclamation projects. thinking outside of the box, this would certainly make sense.

from espn insider:

A suitor for Haynesworth?
    It's hard to remember, but Albert Haynesworth was twice a first-team All-Pro defensive tackle for the Tennessee Titans. His defensive line coach at the time was Jim Washburn, who did a great job developing Jason Babin and Jason Jones after Haynesworth left.

Now Washburn has been hired by the Philadelphia Eagles. NFL Network's Jason La Canfora says that Haynesworth would love to play for Washburn again. The two are such a natural fit, La Canfora says, that after the Redskins signed Haynesworth in free agency, they tried to lure Washburn away from Tennessee.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    Plus, I wouldn't mind him stepping on some Cowboys' heads twice a year. :thumbup:
    mike trgovac is a name that is out there too. packers line coach. also heard mike pettine...

Jim Mora withdraws name from consideration in Denver and Philadelphia
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 19, 2011, 6:18 PM EST
    Jim Mora

Jim Mora has decided to remove his name from consideration for the defensive coordinator jobs in Denver and Philadelphia.

“While I appreciate the opportunities presented by Denver and Philadelphia, at this time it’s just not the right fit,” Mora told Mike Florio of PFT.

Mora talked with both the Eagles and Broncos, but has decided to stay in broadcasting for the time being.

It was reported Mora was offered the job by both teams. Dick Jauron is one of the candidates in Philadelphia, while it’s unclear who could get the job under John Fox in Denver.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Bud Carson still alive ?

;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,903
    pjhawks wrote:

Why change anything ? .500 Coach in the playoffs...has lost numerous playoff games as a favorite..but hey..we make the playoffs every year

serious question - how old are you? did you ever sit through a 4 win season? i have and i've seen really bad and meaningless football games and it sucks worse than losing in the playoffs. nothing worse than cheering for an irrelevant team. i watched marion campbell, rich fn kotite, ray rhodes, with guys like ty detmer, koy detmer, rodney peete - so yeah 10-6 division title, exciting games, playoff games every year is still a whole lot fucking better than the alternative.

to compare 4-12 and 13-3 season because neither won a title is fn insane.

and every coach loses playoff games. only 1 wins them all each season. bellichek has lost 3 straight playoff games, does that mean he has lost it and should be fired because he can't win anymore?

and again every year people like you talk about Reid but you never ever have a viable alternative to him in mind (remember no coach has ever won a super bowl with 2 franchises). so if not Reid please tell me who you want to coach this team next year and for the next 4-5 years (or 4-5 years if a new coach can last that long as most new coaches flame out, see how many are left that have been around 5+ years today).

edit: sorry bored at work so have lots of time to argue these points, but it's the same arguments each year.
    holmgren.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

serious question - how old are you? did you ever sit through a 4 win season? i have and i've seen really bad and meaningless football games and it sucks worse than losing in the playoffs. nothing worse than cheering for an irrelevant team. i watched marion campbell, rich fn kotite, ray rhodes, with guys like ty detmer, koy detmer, rodney peete - so yeah 10-6 division title, exciting games, playoff games every year is still a whole lot fucking better than the alternative.

and every coach loses playoff games. only 1 wins them all each season. bellichek has lost 3 straight playoff games, does that mean he has lost it and should be fired because he can't win anymore?

and again every year people like you talk about Reid but you never ever have a viable alternative to him in mind (remember no coach has ever won a super bowl with 2 franchises). so if not Reid please tell me who you want to coach this team next year and for the next 4-5 years (or 4-5 years if a new coach can last that long as most new coaches flame out, see how many are left that have been around 5+ years today).

edit: sorry bored at work so have lots of time to argue these points, but it's the same arguments each year.
    holmgren.

holmgren made it with 2 teams but only won it with the pack the first time.
    www.myspace.com
    mickeyrat wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

holmgren.

holmgren made it with 2 teams but only won it with the pack the first time.[/quote]
    edited for stupidity.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    edited for stupidity.

Ha !

Didn't the Stillers beat them in that SB ?

mickeyrat wrote:
    edited for stupidity.

Ha !

yes. I was an active drunk then. my memory escapes my at times. That would have been ring #5.

mickeyrat wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    edited for stupidity.

Ha !

yes. I was an active drunk then. my memory escapes my at times. That would have been ring #5.

...it was ring # 5 ;)
    www.myspace.com

...it was ring # 5 ;)

Something we'll never see Jeags...

:cry:

...it was ring # 5 ;)

f that....all i want is 1! 1 and i can die in peace.
    www.myspace.com

...it was ring # 5 ;)

f that....all i want is 1! 1 and i can die in peace.
    see the above post. HAHHAHAAHAHAHAHA

This discussion has been closed.