THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    The Fixer wrote:
    this certainly isn't encouraging...

The reasons are myriad, but they start with the most volatile player on the Philadelphia offense, QB Michael Vick.

Vick is playing so poorly that Sal Paolantonio said in a recent interview with ESPN Radio host John Kincade that Reid could bench Vick in the playoffs if his play did not improve.

There is good reason for Reid to feel that way. This season, Vick has a 4.6 percent bad-decision rate (a bad decision being defined as when a quarterback does something with the ball that leads either to a turnover or a near turnover such as a dropped interception).

To put that total into perspective, consider that it is nine-tenths of a percentage point higher than the 3.7 percent mark Brett Favre posted with the Jets in 2008. Favre's 22 interceptions were the most in the league that year and Vick's risk-taking pace this season has been significantly higher.

So why aren't Vick's interception totals higher? As was noted back in November, he's been quite lucky. He now has 25 near-interceptions to go along with his six interceptions and has thrown at least one pick in five straight games after having not thrown one in his first seven contests.

It's not just Vick's luck that has been running out. Lost in the tumult that was The Miracle of The New Meadowlands is that Vick had a really bad start to that game. In the seven quarters that bookended the comeback (i.e., the first three of the Week 15 Giants game and the full Week 16 game against the Vikings), Vick's passer rating was an abysmal 73.2.

That is not a good place to be when facing the Packers' defense. They have allowed the lowest passer rating of any team in the league (67.2) and rank second in interceptions (24). They also have nearly picked off 33 other passes and have forced opposing quarterbacks into bad decisions on 3.1 percent of their throws (3 percent being the benchmark for elite performance in this category).

Green Bay also has a set of very good cornerbacks, Charles Woodson and Tramon Williams. Woodson gets more attention because of his history, but Williams actually has a better yards per attempt (YPA) total than Woodson (5.9 for Williams, 7.4 for Woodson). Take out the 85-yard touchdown Williams gave up to Mario Manningham in Week 16 when he slipped in coverage, and his YPA total would drop to 4.9, which is a 2006 Champ Bailey-like number. Together, Woodson and Williams are quite capable of slowing down the Eagles' star wide receiver pairing of DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin.

If that isn't enough, the Packers also rank second in the league in sacks. The book on Vick is that his performance goes south whenever he gets hit, and this stat indicates Green Bay is quite capable of doing that.

is that the "football scientist" kc joyner bashing vick again? if so, he essentially wrote the same article two months ago. some of the way he looks at things are kinda out there regarding risky passes and near interceptions (he's not just talking about the easy ones like all drops by the vikings secondary)...his point about the packers aggressive defense is a good one, however.

but in the immortal words of one, pjhawk, my response to this is "coaching." :lol::lol:

seriously though, your boy bet this whole season on "good" mike vick. i have faith that reid and marty been in his ear since the vikings game. good mike vick better show up on sunday...
    www.myspace.com
    scouts inc.:

Packers-Eagles: 10 observations

1. Deal with the strain of the road: Five of the Packers' six losses came on the road this season, while the Eagles were .500 at home. And Green Bay won at Lincoln Financial Field, 27-20, in Week 1. The Packers have played quite a few grueling games in a row. The Eagles were battling a lot of injuries to their explosive offensive players, but resting them in Week 17 might pay off. One of those explosive players, DeSean Jackson, could be a major difference-maker as a return man. The Eagles have taken too many penalties, which could really cost them in a game like this one, as Green Bay is very disciplined in this regard.

2. Hit Vick: Only the Bears allowed more sacks this season than Philadelphia, and Michael Vick has taken a lot of abuse this season. Green Bay held Jay Cutler to just 168 yards passing last week and sacked him six times. The Packers also had six sacks when these teams met early in the season. The Packers show a lot of different looks and personnel groupings, including some unorthodox groupings and alignments. Green Bay will use Charles Woodson near the line of scrimmage and as a blitzer. Minnesota had great success against Vick by using Antoine Winfield in a similar manner in Week 16. Defensive back blitzers can compete with Vick better from an athletic standpoint. Vick will have to be on top of his game mentally, as will Philadelphia's blitz pickup, which has been spotty.

3. Hurry Vick: The best recipe for attacking Vick has been to come after him and make him rush this throws while playing a lot of man coverage on the back end. The Packers are as well equipped to pull this off as any defense in the league. The Packers' defense allowed just 6.5 yards per passing attempt in the regular season and has the best set of starting cornerbacks in football. Vick has been exceptional passing outside the numbers this season.

4. Get something from the running game: Green Bay's running backs rushed for only 39 yards against the Bears last week. Although it was a long time ago, Green Bay had success running the ball much more than throwing in Week 1. The Packers mustered only a 3.8-yards per carry average during the regular season, but they have found a trustworthy short-yardage back in John Kuhn. This is a running game that rarely breaks off long runs. James Starks is a fresh runner who has the most juice of these ball carriers. When they do run, RG Josh Sitton is the one to run behind. He is one of the best guards in football.

5. Matchup to watch: Packers WR Greg Jennings versus Eagles CB Asante Samuel: There has not been a wide receiver in football who has had a better season than Jennings. As a whole, the Packers' receivers are very sure-handed and opposing passing games have tortured this secondary of late. The Eagles allow far too many big plays and CB Dimitri Patterson will be a target more so than Samuel.

6. Convert big plays: There isn't a faster or more explosive offense in the NFL than the Eagles'. With guys like Vick, LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia can hit the home run in the run or pass game on any play. The Eagles also love to start the game by attacking deep downfield. Although not a big play threat, Brent Celek could play a huge role in this game, as tight ends have tormented the Packers. Green Bay has been very stingy against wide receivers.

7. Battle Green Bay's receivers: Only the Chargers and Steelers finished the season with a higher yard-per-pass-attempt average than Green Bay. No team employs four- and five-wide receiver sets like Green Bay, which will be a massive problem for Philly's depleted secondary. These receivers are especially good after the catch and Philadelphia has not tackled particularly well in the backend of late. This secondary makes big plays, but also gives up too many.

8. Get to Rodgers: The Eagles are aggressive and will give the Packers a lot of different looks and blitz packages. With his sharp mind and very quick release, QB Aaron Rodgers has been exceptional against the blitz. But Philadelphia's pass defense has been much better when it brings additional pressure. Chad Clifton is still a decent left tackle, but he is at a massive disadvantage against Trent Cole. And RT Bryan Bulaga is still very much a work in progress. Rushing Rodgers will be especially important in the red zone, where he is exceptional, but the Eagles' defense really struggles in that area.

9. Run the football: In terms of yards per carry, Philadelphia's 5.4-yard mark led the second-place Raiders by a whopping half yard. Opposing running backs have done little versus Green Bay of late, but the Packers allowed 4.7 yards per carry for the season. Moving B.J. Raji and Ryan Pickett is a steep challenge. Raji has become one of the best interior linemen in the league.

10. Matchup to watch: Eagles RB LeSean McCoy versus Green Bay's linebackers: A.J. Hawk has really improved his game of late. He will often do battle with McCoy in the passing game. McCoy is a great screen option and the Eagles will use it to slow down the Packers' outside pass rush. Everyone knows about Clay Matthews, but the Packers might have found a nice outside complement in Erik Walden. Walden was a real force last week, but he will be at a disadvantage against Jason Peters.

Green Bay 27
    Philadelphia 24
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    just locked up tickets for sunday on ticketmaster. face value for club level seats. never sat in that area before

I haven't either, but I've heard great things. Real, full-service bars, good food, alcohol served until 2 hours after the game, good bathrooms.

That's ok, I'll have my own open bar from my beer fridge in the basement. :D

you'll love it there dude. i had tix there for the colts game. pricey but a damn good time. get there early and watch the first game there. starting next year, i think we're gonna do one game in club suite per year. totally worth it.

someone told me the eagles released extra tix today because the packers returned some. i guess that's what you got? well played.

yeah, those are the tix I got. I get all kinds of emails about shit like that.

what time will doors open to suite level? I'm assuming I will be able to watch the early game indoors? I really have no clue what I'm walking into here
    The Fixer wrote:
    you'll love it there dude. i had tix there for the colts game. pricey but a damn good time. get there early and watch the first game there. starting next year, i think we're gonna do one game in club suite per year. totally worth it.

someone told me the eagles released extra tix today because the packers returned some. i guess that's what you got? well played.

yeah, those are the tix I got. I get all kinds of emails about shit like that.

what time will doors open to suite level? I'm assuming I will be able to watch the early game indoors? I really have no clue what I'm walking into here

we watched the 2nd half of the early games and the place was packed when we got in. i would assume it would be open around when the first game starts. basically its like the hall of fame club across the street. that's the best way to describe it.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    Now I hope I'm wrong, but seriously, WHY did we draw the Packers? We're so fucked.
    Now I hope I'm wrong, but seriously, WHY did we draw the Packers? We're so fucked.

...because we decided not to show up to the vikings game.
    www.myspace.com

...because we decided not to show up to the vikings game.

Oh, right...that whole thing.......God damnit....
    weird stat:

in 11 games where asante sameul has made an interception at the linc, the eagles are 11-0.

pats were 14-0 in home games where he gets a pick too.

turnovers. turnovers. turnovers. turnovers. we have to win the turnover battle tomorrow or we have no shot.
    www.myspace.com
    I've been back and forth all week about this game. My prediction...

37-30 Packers. Vick once again can't read the blitz...eagles rally late but it's not enough
    The Fixer wrote:

37-30 Packers. Vick once again can't read the blitz...eagles rally late but it's not enough

oh man. that would not look good on reid if vick's the reason we lose tomorrow after betting the season on him...

i still am unsure about this game. kinda don't think it will be that high scoring though. everyone thinks there's gonna be a ton of points scored and everyone's taking the pack.....i can see a 24-21 game or 27-23. close game. could really go either way.

just wish we didn't put ourselves in this position.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

oh man. that would not look good on reid if vick's the reason we lose tomorrow after betting the season on him...

huh? not sure why you'd say that. reid led this team to another division title when most people picked them to finish third.

win or lose tomorrow, I think this season has exceeded most people's expectations. one of reid's best coaching jobs yet in my opinion.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

huh? not sure why you'd say that. reid led this team to another division title when most people picked them to finish third.

win or lose tomorrow, I think this season has exceeded most people's expectations. one of reid's best coaching jobs yet in my opinion.

Vick changed my outlook for this team in a positive way. Like has been said, this team has exceeded expectations.
    And what's everyone think of the Tapp/Clemons trade? Of course hindsight is 20/20, but I think I'm okay with it because Tapp has been decent, and Clemons was so inconsistent when he was here.
    And what's everyone think of the Tapp/Clemons trade? Of course hindsight is 20/20, but I think I'm okay with it because Tapp has been decent, and Clemons was so inconsistent when he was here.

clemons played well today

birds drafted raheem brock out of temple in the 7th round back in the day. he was cut before he even saw the field. he played well today too...and he was decent on indy for a while too.

no one is perfect with personnel moves. reid is one of the best in that department
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

reid does a good job every year though. this team had the talent, with a competent qb, to get to 10 wins and they did. they won 11 last year. so i'm not surprised by the 10 wins at all. they should have won more actually.

the point about vick was in your scenario he'd be the main reason we'd lose and we all lavished reid with praise for his coaching of vick this year (deservedly so). if the dude regresses when it matters most in the playoffs, not sure how the coaching staff wouldn't share that blame.......regardless, i have faith in reid and marty's ability to get him back on the right track and to come up with a good game plan for tomorrow.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

birds drafted raheem brock out of temple in the 7th round back in the day. he was cut before he even saw the field. he played well today too...and he was decent on indy for a while too.

no one is perfect with personnel moves. reid is one of the best in that department

...really could've used some more depth on the o line this year though. still can't get over not taking one lineman in the draft last year.

rg has got to be a priority this off season.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

reid does a good job every year though. this team had the talent, with a competent qb, to get to 10 wins and they did. they won 11 last year. so i'm not surprised by the 10 wins at all. they should have won more actually.

the point about vick was in your scenario he'd be the main reason we'd lose and we all lavished reid with praise for his coaching of vick this year (deservedly so). if the dude regresses when it matters most in the playoffs, not sure how the coaching staff wouldn't share that blame.......regardless, i have faith in reid and marty's ability to get him back on the right track and to come up with a good game plan for tomorrow.

according to my prediction the main reason this team will lose is because they give up 37 points.

the league has adjusted to the 'new' vick. he seems to have regressed back to his old ways over the last few weeks. hopefully he learns how to get a decent pre-snap read and/or audible to a run or hot route.

tomorrow should be interesting to say the least
    The Fixer wrote:

...really could've used some more depth on the o line this year though. still can't get over not taking one lineman in the draft last year.

I don't see how you can rip the draft that they had last year. almost every player drafted saw action this year.

they had a lot of needs...they weren't that good of a team last year (as evidenced by the final two games)

reid just can't win with eagles fans
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't see how you can rip the draft that they had last year. almost every player drafted saw action this year.

they had a lot of needs...they weren't that good of a team last year (as evidenced by the final two games)

just pointing out a personnel move that came back to bite us this year. no depth on the o line.

incidentally this was something we both agreed on about 6 months ago :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

just pointing out a personnel move that came back to bite us this year. no depth on the o line.

I'm not denying that the o-line sucks. I said it last year and all year this year. I was surprised that they didn't draft any lineman this past draft too, but I stopped questioning reid's draft picks a long time ago.

their defense was the most pressing need after the two dallas games last year. no doubt about that
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    pack for the win
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

according to my prediction the main reason this team will lose is because they give up 37 points.

the league has adjusted to the 'new' vick. he seems to have regressed back to his old ways over the last few weeks. hopefully he learns how to get a decent pre-snap read and/or audible to a run or hot route.

tomorrow should be interesting to say the least

well the only specific you gave was vick not picking up the blitz. :?
    i'm confident in reid's ability to get him back on track. we'll see.

i'm going birds 24, pack 21 tomorrow. :shock:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm not denying that the o-line sucks. I said it last year and all year this year. I was surprised that they didn't draft any lineman this past draft too, but I stopped questioning reid's draft picks a long time ago.

their defense was the most pressing need after the two dallas games last year. no doubt about that

if you thought the line sucked last year and sucks this year, not sure why wouldn't you question him about not selecting a single lineman. that doesn't make any sense. the d was a priority but you can always get value in later rounds for depth.

actually the line was good last year until jackson went down and would have been decent this year barring injuries---just no depth there.
    www.myspace.com
    giddy up....playoffs?!?!?!??!? playoffs?!?!?!? :mrgreen:

go time today boys and girls.

GO BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    www.myspace.com
  • giddy up....playoffs?!?!?!??!? playoffs?!?!?!? :mrgreen:

GO BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Clay does alot of this today to your boy the dog killer. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvMF6h_E ... re=related
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    finally here!

Whadda Say Birds!!!!!!!
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Juggler? :?

Let's go Birds! Confidence levels are... not so good.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    waitress at the diner was wearing a black reggie brown jersey... :?

black jersey and reggie brown ridiculousness aside, pj hawks would be none too pleased :lol:

GO BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    www.myspace.com
    giddy up....playoffs?!?!?!??!? playoffs?!?!?!? :mrgreen:

GO BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Clay does alot of this today to your boy the dog killer. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvMF6h_E ... re=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjBeysZp39g

:o:mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    waitress at the diner was wearing a black reggie brown jersey... :?

black jersey and reggie brown ridiculousness aside, pj hawks would be none too pleased :lol:

GO BIRDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was gonna rock my Samuels this afternoon, but I don't want people to make fun of me. Or maybe I'll take it off in the car before I go in the supermarket, and just throw it back on after I unload my groceries
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
This discussion has been closed.