THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    pjhawks wrote:
    gotta love fans who are only fans when a team is good. .

when was the last time you rooted for the sixers? :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    pjhawks wrote:
    gotta love fans who are only fans when a team is good. .

when was the last time you rooted for the sixers? :lol:

rooted for the sixers? probably about 1992. can't stand the NBA and take no satisfaction nor any annoyance at what they do. will watch as a casual observer with mild interest but can't even tell you the last time i watched any NBA game start to finish. I DO NOT consider myself a Sixers fan. I have as much fandom in the Sixers as I do the Philadelphia Union. Mild interest as a local team but their success or failure doesn't phase me in any way. Of the 3 games they have played so far i have watched a grand total of zero minutes.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    gotta love fans who are only fans when a team is good. i guess we won't be seeing you guys around for the next five years or so, because this franchise has the look of a long downward spiral. i agree it's pretty clear a change at then end of this season is in store but i don't see it getting any better in the short term. a new coach, new systems, totally destroyed offense line, with a new qb with very little experience is not a recipe for success next season and beyond in the short term.

anyone want to take bets on how many games this team wins over the next 40 or 50 games? 40 games is the next 2.5 years. i'm guessing maybe 10-30 in that span.

What's your definition of a fan? I hope you weren't referring to me because I'll actually still watch as much as I can and will want them to win. If being a season ticketholder for forever isn't a fan, then I'm not sure what a fan is. Going to games for 6+ hours is a huge committment and when I don't see them same committment or effort on the field, it's quite a let down. I'd rather get stuff done around the house.

someone who has the same passion for an 11-5 team as a 5-11 team. a fan is someone who will be in front of the tv next sunday and the following sunday, until the end of the season, not out raking leaves or christmas shopping during the game. i understand life takes precendent over games at times, but not watching or not caring because a team goes through a down cycle is the definition of being a bandwagon fan. the losses of a bad team and the bad play of a bad team should annoy you as much as when a good team fails. being a real fan is not putting a sticker on a car when a team is good (a la 900,000 locals who came out of the woodwork for the phils after 2008) or attending games only when a team is good. that's my definiton.

what is your definition?
    Someone that sits through a debacle like last night until the end. When I was single, I went to all the games even when they were the worst team in the league but that has nothing to do about being a fan If I don't care. A fan is someone who's heart aches after a loss. Last night my heart ached.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

What's your definition of a fan? I hope you weren't referring to me because I'll actually still watch as much as I can and will want them to win. If being a season ticketholder for forever isn't a fan, then I'm not sure what a fan is. Going to games for 6+ hours is a huge committment and when I don't see them same committment or effort on the field, it's quite a let down. I'd rather get stuff done around the house.

someone who has the same passion for an 11-5 team as a 5-11 team. a fan is someone who will be in front of the tv next sunday and the following sunday, until the end of the season, not out raking leaves or christmas shopping during the game. i understand life takes precendent over games at times, but not watching or not caring because a team goes through a down cycle is the definition of being a bandwagon fan. the losses of a bad team and the bad play of a bad team should annoy you as much as when a good team fails. being a real fan is not putting a sticker on a car when a team is good (a la 900,000 locals who came out of the woodwork for the phils after 2008) or attending games only when a team is good. that's my definiton.

what is your definition?
    Someone that sits through a debacle like last night until the end. When I was single, I went to all the games even when they were the worst team in the league but that has nothing to do about being a fan If I don't care. A fan is someone who's heart aches after a loss. Last night my heart ached.

my heart aches just looking at how far this organization has fallen over the last 8 years.

they can't draft. they swing and miss on free agents (i've given namdi the benefit of the doubt for too long. it looks like reid clearly overvalued him). they can't block. can't tackle. can't recognize a blitz. they hire offensive line coaches to coordinate their defense (and then fire him halfway through the season instead of the previous off season. )can't get to the quarterback. give up on the running game despite their running back gaining 100 yards in the first half. can't score in the redzone. don't have any leadership. play uninspired, careless football. yada. yada. yada.

this team is rotten to the core.
    www.myspace.com
    looks like todd herremans could be done for the year. god help us....and whoever is lined up under center for the next 8 games.

before the season, one of my concerns was how thin they were on the line (depending on such young and inexperienced backups). but i don't think anything could have prepared them for this. only evan mathis remains :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    looks like todd herremans could be done for the year. god help us....and whoever is lined up under center for the next 8 games.

before the season, one of my concerns was how thin they were on the line (depending on such young and inexperienced backups). but i don't think anything could have prepared them for this. only evan mathis remains :lol:

All the OL they got rid of are better than what they have and they're still $20mil under the cap. Roseman gets an extension for this? He needs to go. I was excited about Nnamdi at the time but why sign him when you had 2 all-pro caliber CB's on the roster already?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

All the OL they got rid of are better than what they have and they're still $20mil under the cap. Roseman gets an extension for this? He needs to go. I was excited about Nnamdi at the time but why sign him when you had 2 all-pro caliber CB's on the roster already?

i just do not understand the roseman thing.

with asante....if anything, they should have traded him before last season. instead they got a 7th round pick. and he is having a good year.
    www.myspace.com
    JK_Livin wrote:

with asante....if anything, they should have traded him before last season. instead they got a 7th round pick. and he is having a good year.

i'd have to go back to previous years but didn't a lot of people here dislike Asante because he couldn't tackle and gambled too much?

and EVERYONE loved the Nnamdi signing at the time. Hall of Fame writer Ray Didinger called him one of the 3 greatest cover corners he had seen. NO ONE anticipated him being this average, no one. hard to blame the Reid or Roseman for Nnamdi sucking.
    pjhawks wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:

i'd have to go back to previous years but didn't a lot of people here dislike Asante because he couldn't tackle and gambled too much?

and EVERYONE loved the Nnamdi signing at the time. Hall of Fame writer Ray Didinger called him one of the 3 greatest cover corners he had seen. NO ONE anticipated him being this average, no one. hard to blame the Reid or Roseman for Nnamdi sucking.

i always liked asante despite the poor tackling. his gambling paid off way more often than it didn't. he did what he was brought in here to do. jk is a fan too, i believe.

like i said, i gave nnamdi the benefit of the doubt for a year and a half. i liked the signing, despite being confused at the lack of subsequent moves. last year, they had him in zone coverage too much, when he excelled in man to man coverage in oakland. this year, i don't know. hindsight is 20-20. but if you can't blame the talent evaluaters who determined he was worth a 60 million dollar contract, i am not sure who else you can blame.
    www.myspace.com
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/ ... team-kelly

A few years ago, Mark Bowden (the author of Black Hawk Down) did a hagiographical piece in The Atlantic on Eagles coach Andy Reid. It read like an anointment from someone outside the regular channels, proof that Reid was the thinkingest coach in the NFL.

Today, Reid is better recognized as a goldfish snatched from the bowl, gulping air on the sidelines while his players spend another game running into each other on both sides of the ball.

Did Reid suddenly drop a few IQ points? No. He’s the same Xs and Os guy he was back when, but the Xs aren’t trying quite as hard to avoid the Os any more. His team has given up on him.

Reid wasn’t a genius in the Schopenhauerian sense — that while talent hits a target no one else can hit, genius hits the target no one else can see.

There are certainly as-yet unseen targets in football strategy, but the men who get raised to the top are the least likely to spot them.

The people who hire coaches will always go with a conventionalist, a mainstream thinker. It provides more cover for them when they eventually have to fire them. And that eventuality is the only inevitability in the GM-coach relationship.

Geniuses are visionaries, and visionaries risk embarrassing their employers.

So the best that can be said about any coach is that he is an unusually talented man. Reid is still one of those. Like sport itself, that’s a cyclical process with too many variables for consistent performance. At some point, your own talent won’t be enough to make up for the shortcomings of the fifty-odd other guys who actually play the game.

Another constant is cosmic injustice — Reid will pay the heaviest price here. Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick will be unemployed for about 10 minutes after the season is over. Reid will have to spend a year or so in a TV studio hoping the time off works like tomato juice, dissipating the stink of failure.

The Sporting News did another of those anonymous polls this week, asking players who is the most overrated coach in the league.

They might have got it right with their first choice, Rex Ryan. They definitely got it wrong with their second, Bill Belichick. Reid was whistling in the background at third, trying not to be noticed.

Not everyone gets their turn at the very top, but everyone who does knows they’ll eventually be tipped off the pedestal. That’s happening to Andy Reid now. It’ll also happen to the new generation of geniuses and the one after that.

In the interim, we’ll pretend not to notice that the smartest foreman is nearly always the one with the most dependable crew.
    Asante was the only Eagle that played with an attitude.

I read yesterday that Bell had never played RT before Monday night's game. How do they not have a back up pklan if someone gets injured? Are you telling me that no one was practicing at RT besides Herremanns? This team gets more laughable by the day.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    :fp:
    :fp:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    oh boy, let's just fast forward to next season :?

What makes the loss even worse was it was to the Cowgirls :x
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    i care less about football...but this Andy Reid....enough
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    rotten to the core, this organization is. from the owner all the way down to the water boys.
    www.myspace.com
    rotten to the core, this organization is. from the owner all the way down to the water boys.

even the moronic fans who wanted to throw the ball in the last 40 seconds of the half from inside your own 20 with a rookie qb who had never played before today. brilliance from the stands as well.

clearly we can hold off the legandary status just yet for nick foles.

saddest part of today is the cowboys suck and basically sucked today as well. not good at all.

any of those names in the paper as possible replacements float your boat? not good seeing comments the Lurie didn't get along with Gruden when he was here. seems like that one is already out.
    pjhawks wrote:

even the moronic fans who wanted to throw the ball in the last 40 seconds of the half from inside your own 20 with a rookie qb who had never played before today. brilliance from the stands as well.

saddest part of today is the cowboys suck and basically sucked today as well. not good at all.

any of those names in the paper as possible replacements float your boat? not good seeing comments the Lurie didn't get along with Gruden when he was here. seems like that one is already out.

they had 2 timeouts. the play calling there was not surprisingly poor. and okay, if you are just going to run the clock out, fine....but why on earth call a pass play to havilli? you're just giving the cowboys an extra few seconds that they thought they would not have in the first place. that's moronic.

what names did they list? i didn't see that article. i mentioned some names i would be interested in last time this was brought up and asked if you could name someone you would like but you did not respond. assuming reid is let go, who would you like? i'm guessing gruden?
    www.myspace.com
  • CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,256
    I threw up today and it came out in the shape of an Eagles helmet. Piss poor game, however our rookie QB still played better than the veteran "star" QB we call Mike Vick. Sad to see this season over already. Glad I follow the Oregon Ducks, they're exciting to watch, unlike Philly this year.
    pjhawks wrote:

they had 2 timeouts. the play calling there was not surprisingly poor. and okay, if you are just going to run the clock out, fine....but why on earth call a pass play to havilli? you're just giving the cowboys an extra few seconds that they thought they would not have in the first place. that's moronic.

what names did they list? i didn't see that article. i mentioned some names i would be interested in last time this was brought up and asked if you could name someone you would like but you did not respond. assuming reid is let go, who would you like? i'm guessing gruden?

i did answer that before. i would love gruden or cowher but i don't see either of those happening. assistants with no head coaching experience are a crapshoot as are college coaches (although the latest college coaches are having a bit more success with harbaugh and pete carroll having some success) . i think you have to be blown away in an interview to hire a guy with no head coaching experience.

it broke down the possible candidates into groups of offensive coaches, defensive coaches and college coaches. the top names were actually josh mcdaniels, mike nolan and chip kelly from oregon. then listed a whole of other names of assistants including fagiano and fewell (spelling?). also briefly mentioned Bill O'Brien who i think could be a real attractive candidate.
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

i did answer that before. i would love gruden or cowher but i don't see either of those happening. assistants with no head coaching experience are a crapshoot as are college coaches (although the latest college coaches are having a bit more success with harbaugh and pete carroll having some success) . i think you have to be blown away in an interview to hire a guy with no head coaching experience.

it broke down the possible candidates into groups of offensive coaches, defensive coaches and college coaches. the top names were actually josh mcdaniels, mike nolan and chip kelly from oregon. then listed a whole of other names of assistants including fagiano and fewell (spelling?). also briefly mentioned Bill O'Brien who i think could be a real attractive candidate.

i must have missed that post. sorry. i don't like mcdaniels. nolan's a name i forgot about actually. he might be worth a look at a 2nd go around. bruce arians will probably get a lot of attention after the job he's done this year.

2 things i know: it's tough for anyone to do worse than what we've seen around here the last few years. and lurie must either buy out roseman's contract or "promote" him to president and bring in a gm who actually has a football background. boggles my mind that he was given an extension. :crazy:

gotta role with foles at this point forward too. the timing of vick's concussion was pretty opportune for andy.
    www.myspace.com
    edited November 2012
    Sigh, the last time we looked this bad was 1998. After the Cowboys tied it at 17, out of the next 17 plays called only 2 were Shady runs. :fp:
    Post edited by JK_Livin on
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    these guys do a great job on this blog. good read here. spot on:

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2012/11 ... -grandeur/

Eagles Wake-Up Call: Delusion Of Grandeur

The first thing that needs to be altered is the Eagles’ self-perception. This team is sinking like a stone. They have lost five straight and now sit at the bottom of the NFC East at 3-6. Over the past two seasons, the Eagles are a combined 11-14. They just suffered a 15-point home loss to the rival Cowboys in yet another desperation game played without desperation.

That has not stopped Andy Reid‘s club, though, from continuing to insist that they are stacked.

“I believe that once we get it all together, we should dominate,” said LeSean McCoy. “We have the players here and Coach [Reid] is a winning coach.”

Dominate?

It is hard to figure how such a sentence could be uttered. The Eagles have a minus-65 point differential, dead last in the NFC. Their decimated offensive line is arguably the league’s worst. Michael Vick, lost Sunday to a concussion, is ranked 27th in QB rating. Jeremy Maclin has yet to record a 1,000-yard season. DeSean Jackson disappears in the red zone. Brent Celek has far too many bad drops.

The corners have been overrated, there is no safety depth and the play from the defensive line and linebackers has been inconsistent. Not to mention the special teams, which has continued to weigh this team down.

Ironically, McCoy may be the only player on the roster capable of dominating on a regular basis.

“How can we have this type of talent and play like this?” asked Celek. “It’s not good.”

The Eagles have not won a playoff game since 2008. That team had Donovan McNabb, Brian Dawkins, Brian Westbrook, Jon Runyan, Tra Thomas, Asante Samuel, Sheldon Brown, Lito Sheppard and David Akers on it. Trent Cole was younger and more effective. (He had nine sacks in ’08). Ditto Todd Herremans.

Jason Avant was on that team. He is one of the few with a link to the truly successful years of the Reid era.

After the loss to the Lions before the bye, he took a firm stance against those who continue to tout the ability of this 2012 team.

“I just get so tired of the ‘talented’ talk. I don’t want what the outside world views as talent to infect our team,” said Avant. “Talent and potential is dangerous because you’ll get complacent. We have to go out and show it.

“If we take that mindset that anybody can beat you, you’ll focus and concentrate harder and you’ll play better.”

A month and three losses later, it still does not appear his teammates got the message.
    www.myspace.com
    in the eagles 5 game losing streak, lesean mccoy has gotten 16, 14, 16, 19, and 16 carries.

in their 3 wins, mccoy has gotten the ball 20, 25, and 23 times.

in his career, the eagles are 10-1 in games in which he has over 20 carries.

andy reid, ladies and gentlemen. andy reid.
    www.myspace.com
    in the eagles 5 game losing streak, lesean mccoy has gotten 16, 14, 16, 19, and 16 carries.

"I need to do a better job"
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

the only person who can slow down lesean mccoy is andy reid. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    this movie actually looks entertaining. seems like they got a lot about philly/eagles fans right:

http://www.the700level.com/football-phi ... eedID=9063
    www.myspace.com
    this movie actually looks entertaining. seems like they got a lot about philly/eagles fans right:

http://www.the700level.com/football-phi ... eedID=9063

they say there is already Oscar buzz around this movie. sounds like it is going to do real well. and yea jennfer lawrence...don't hate it :D
    :roll:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

you don't really understand cause and affect do you?

there not winning because he is carrying it 25 times, he is carrying it 25 times because they are winning :roll:

if they had a double digit lead in the 4th quarter as opposed to a double digit deficit he would have carried it over 20 times (as long as dunlop didn't commit more penalties)
    pjhawks wrote:
    :roll:
    rick1zoo2 wrote:

you don't really understand cause and affect do you?

there not winning because he is carrying it 25 times, he is carrying it 25 times because they are winning :roll:

if they had a double digit lead in the 4th quarter as opposed to a double digit deficit he would have carried it over 20 times (as long as dunlop didn't commit more penalties)

ha. cause and affect....this is not even a legitamate argument anymore. do you think they would have a better chance of success running the ball with one of the best running backs in the league or throwing it with a guy who has one of the lowest qb ratings in the league?

or on sunday...do you think would they have a better chance of succuss running with one of the best rb's in the league or still throwing a crazy amount of times with a rookie making his first appearance in an nfl game?

you don't wait until you have a double digit lead to give the ball to your best player. the game was tied going into the 4th and the eagles had the lead in the 3rd. did you watch on sunday? :lol:

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-phila ... feedID=692

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-phila ... feedID=692

"Sunday’s game was the ninth of McCoy’s career in which he’s rushed for 80 or more yards on 16 or fewer carries. He’s 24 years old and only in his fourth NFL season, but only two active NFL tailbacks have had more career games with 80 or more yards on 16 or fewer carries – Frank Gore (15), who’s in his eighth season, and DeAngelo Williams, who’s in his seventh season.

In NFL history, only one player has had more games with 80 or more yards on 16 or fewer carries in his first four seasons. That was Paul Lowe, who played for the AFL Chargers in the early 1960s (the AFL stats were absorbed by the NFL with the merger).

So McCoy may statistically be the single most under-utilized running back in NFL history.
    "
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.