THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    A simple comment led to this :? Can't say i'm surprised though. And i'd take Cowher,Gruden,but Winston Moss deserves a shot imo.

I'd love to see Gruden get back into coaching so I don't have to hear his boring commentary on Monday's. This 49ers team and these 49ers...This ALdon Smith guy reminds me of a young....blah blah blah...

speaking of that 49'ers team, what about that vic fangio? he'll surely get some interviews this off season. i would think ray horton might as well.

if garret gets canned, who would you like to replace him?

Honestly, I haven't given that one much thought. Horton seems like a decent name but Perry Fewell or Chip Kelly seem like viable candidates. I think JJ has it in his silly head that he must give a coach three seasons to prove themselves. At season's end, it will be 2.5 for Garrett so we'll see how they finish before I can give you a more accurate opinion.

Who you like if Reid is done?
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    I'd love to see Gruden get back into coaching so I don't have to hear his boring commentary on Monday's. This 49ers team and these 49ers...This ALdon Smith guy reminds me of a young....blah blah blah...

speaking of that 49'ers team, what about that vic fangio? he'll surely get some interviews this off season. i would think ray horton might as well.

if garret gets canned, who would you like to replace him?

Honestly, I haven't given that one much thought. Horton seems like a decent name but Perry Fewell or Chip Kelly seem like viable candidates. I think JJ has it in his silly head that he must give a coach three seasons to prove themselves. At season's end, it will be 2.5 for Garrett so we'll see how they finish before I can give you a more accurate opinion.

Who you like if Reid is done?

3? try 14...

i'm open to any of those names really. spags, fangio and possibly horton are intriguing to me. not thrilled with the idea of a college coach due to the track record that exists for them in this league already. kelly and david shaw are names you hear tossed around. if they go with a big name retread, i'd prefer billick or gruden to cowher. not sure lurie would go that route though. should be interesting.
    www.myspace.com
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    [
    3? try 14...

spags

fire a coach for what you term mediocrity and hire a guy with a .213 career winning percentage as a head coach? makes a ton of sense :fp:

and to clarify i'm not saying if this season continues to spiral out of control, as it looks like it will, that it's not time for a change at the end of the season. I just can't understand the idea of thinking of hiring a coach with a 10-38 career record. 2-14 in his 3rd season before you say they were bad when he got there.

i can see Lurie trying to get Saban from college if Bama wins it again. And yes think that would be a mistake to hire a college coach.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Vick-Foles and Reid-new coach story is very easy. With Reid and Vick Philly will never win a super bowl. With Foles and ? we might. It's time to find out if the next chapter can have a story book ending. Because the book were reading now has the same ending as the past 13yrs.
    Go Birds!!!!
    pjhawks wrote:
    [
    3? try 14...

spags

fire a coach for what you term mediocrity and hire a guy with a .213 career winning percentage as a head coach? makes a ton of sense :fp:

and to clarify i'm not saying if this season continues to spiral out of control, as it looks like it will, that it's not time for a change at the end of the season. I just can't understand the idea of thinking of hiring a coach with a 10-38 career record. 2-14 in his 3rd season before you say they were bad when he got there.

i can see Lurie trying to get Saban from college if Bama wins it again. And yes think that would be a mistake to hire a college coach.

again--you are just looking at statistics and nothing deeper. he took over a horrible team, wasn't the gm there and suffered through debilitating injuries on a yearly basis. if andy reid had to endure the same stuff back in 99-01, i doubt he would have lasted much longer. but he's a good enough football mind, he would have gotten another shot.

the guy comes from good stock---jim johnson disciple and won a super bowl under tom coughlin. there's a reason why he's still a very well respected coach in this league and will get another shot again.

he's just one option. there are plenty of others...are you able to name any you would be open to?
    www.myspace.com
    The Vick-Foles and Reid-new coach story is very easy. With Reid and Vick Philly will never win a super bowl. With Foles and ? we might. It's time to find out if the next chapter can have a story book ending. Because the book were reading now has the same ending as the past 13yrs.

i'm not as optimistic on foles as, seemingly, everyone with a pulse in this area is but the season is almost to the point where you make a move, i think.

would you do it in the superdome on a monday night though? with that line and all the silent snaps he'd have to make? he might get killed. :lol: i think the better option is the dallas game, with the home crowd behind him, assuming they lose in new orleans. or maybe the panthers monday nighter if they lose 2 of their next 3.

fully expecting reid to finally call a consistent balanced attack after he makes the switch. :roll:
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:
    [
    3? try 14...

spags

again--you are just looking at statistics and nothing deeper. he took over a horrible team, wasn't the gm there and suffered through debilitating injuries on a yearly basis. if andy reid had to endure the same stuff back in 99-01, i doubt he would have lasted much longer. but he's a good enough football mind, he would have gotten another shot.

the guy comes from good stock---jim johnson disciple and won a super bowl under tom coughlin. there's a reason why he's still a very well respected coach in this league and will get another shot again.

he's just one option. there are plenty of others...are you able to name any you would be open to?

gruden and cowher for sure but don't think either would consider coming here. don't get billick at all. thought he was an ok head coach who had one fantastic year with one of the greatest defenses ever (kind of like rich kotite winning a playoff game). i'm not big on hiring an assistant with no experience as a head coach. that's a huge gamble for a franchise that is not completely starting from scratch.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    The thought that scares me is if we get rid of Reid, who's going to pick the new coach with Lurie? I want nothing to do with Roseman. He'll probably hire someone that's never coached before.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The thought that scares me is if we get rid of Reid, who's going to pick the new coach with Lurie? I want nothing to do with Roseman. He'll probably hire someone that's never coached before.

that sounds like promoting an offensive line coach to coordinate the defense. :lol:

my buddy and i were talking about this tonight. if reid goes, you'd have to think roseman goes too right?

scott paoli might be looking for work....or you can find someone in the mold of a thomas dimitrof (same football tree)...
    www.myspace.com
    the curious case of one, daniel watkins:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... ead_o.html

Eagles’ drafting of Danny Watkins in first round looks like mistake

If they were drinking truth serum down at the NovaCare, instead of the usual mix of delusion and denial, the Eagles would admit that they shouldn’t have drafted Danny Watkins in the first round of the 2011 draft.

As is often the case, getting Andy Reid and company to say they goofed isn’t easy.

Sometimes, the Eagles coach doesn’t have to say a word. His actions speak louder. Then there are those times when you have to connect the dots.

With Watkins, it’s too early to label the offensive lineman a bust, even if he turns 28 in two days. But in his first 18 games, the guard has shown little to suggest he is of Pro Bowl caliber, which is the bar teams often set for interior linemen selected so high.

Adding intrigue to Watkins’ standing is an ankle that Reid called “chronic” Oct. 26 after he missed his first two practices of the season because of the injury. Reid said it was an injury Watkins had for years, one he said he knew about before the draft.

“This will pass here,” Reid said Thursday. “It’s not where it’s going to be career-ending.”

Both of Watkins’ agents were asked if they knew of a chronic ankle.

“First I ever heard of it,” said Joe Panos, a former Eagles offensive lineman.

“I recall Danny had a completely clean medical,” Eric Metz said in an e-mail, “which contributed to so many clubs giving him a first-round grade.”
    Latest Eagles Videos

Watkins declined to answer questions about his ankle, he said Friday, because “coach doesn’t want us talking about injuries.”

Earlier Friday, Reid said that he chose the wrong word — chronic, “marked by long duration or frequent recurrence,” as defined by Webster’s — in describing the ankle. He said that Watkins had a history of ankle injuries — two sprains on each leg while in college.

But Watkins had more than just ankle sprains in college, according to a source within the Baylor University program. He had a broken bone in one of his ankles during his senior season. Watkins hardly practiced during the week, but didn’t miss a game, the source said. The injury went unreported.

The Eagles had no comment on Watkins’ broken bone.

Watkins started in all 25 games during his two years at Baylor University. He played in 22 of 23 games at Butte (Calif.) Junior College. There had never been any mention of his having an ankle injury until Oct. 25, when he sat out practice.

Reid said Watkins first “tweaked” his ankle during the Lions game Oct. 14. He said the guard played with the injury. The Detroit game, in which the Eagles blew a 10-point with five minutes to play, has been cited as a low point for Watkins and the offensive line.

Reid didn’t mention Watkins’ injury after the game or the Monday after, although he isn’t required by the league. The Eagles, after the bye week, didn’t resume practice until Oct. 22. Watkins practiced, according to Reid, although it was a light workout.

He practiced again Oct. 24 but was listed on the injury report with an “ankle,” although he was deemed a full participant. Watkins was then held out the next two days after Reid said the ankle wasn’t feeling right on Oct. 25.

“I really don’t know [what happened], to tell you the truth,” Watkins said Friday. “I can’t start practicing and then we went in and looked at it and they said, ‘Yeah, you [injured] your ankle.’”

Watkins had been listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against the Falcons and rookie Dennis Kelly started in his place. Kelly will earn his second career start on Monday night in New Orleans. Watkins was listed as out.

Reid was asked Thursday if Watkins would retain his starting position when he returns from injury, but the coach gave an ambiguous answer. “We’ll see how he feels once he gets in there,” he said.

Because Kelly was competent against Atlanta — with the assistance of a game plan that featured quick throws — some have celebrated the possible end of Watkins’ run at right guard. He has struggled. Pro Football Focus ranks him 51st out of the 57 guards in pass-blocking.

But to cheer Watkins’ demise would be missing the big picture — that the Eagles appear to have wasted another first-round pick and are paying the price. A fifth-round rookie like Kelly shouldn’t start ahead of a top pick in his second season.

Watkins was projected by many analysts to be a late- first- to early-second-round pick before the draft. Sports Illustrated’s Peter King predicted Watkins would go the Eagles with the 26th overall selection, which is where the Birds picked him.

But there were obvious concerns. Watkins had played football for only four years, first picking up the game when he attended Butte to study fire sciences. The Eagles also wanted to move him from left tackle to right guard, and to do so while learning Howard Mudd’s new blocking technique.

By the end of last season, Watkins appeared to be progressing. The line was clicking. But then Jason Peters ruptured his Achilles and Jason Kelce tore his ACL, and the entire unit — not just Watkins — became inconsistent.

But the firefighter was supposed to be an anchor. Instead, he’s dragging Reid to the bottom, along with a number of the coach’s dubious draft picks.

If Watkins doesn’t start sometime soon, either because of the injury or a benching, it could be interpreted as Reid’s cutting the Canadian loose to save himself.

Mistakes are orphans, but that would own up to a blunder — whoever’s it is.
    www.myspace.com
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    hopefully the Eagles can capitalize on the rest of the NFC East losing this week :?
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    hopefully the Eagles can capitalize on the rest of the NFC East losing this week :?

pretty much a must win tonight i think. another loss and this looks to have spiraled all the way out of control.

i think the Birds win in a wild one. say 38-35.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    can you keep mccoy, celek and jackson on th bench tonight.

thanks in advance.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:

pretty much a must win tonight i think. another loss and this looks to have spiraled all the way out of control.

i think the Birds win in a wild one. say 38-35.

yeah i see a high scoring, close game tonight.

heard there will be around 20,000 birds fans in attendance. i know a few people who went and are staying at the same hotel as the team.
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:

thanks in advance.

how about just celek? I need shady and d-jack in my leagues tonight :corn:

Yeah i'm gonna say high scoring game as well. 31-28, Birds!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    o-line!??

;)
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I cracked up at that Saints player doing his post-sack celebration while the ball was still rolling around in play. What a bonehead.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
    81 wrote:

thanks in advance.

how about just celek? I need shady and d-jack in my leagues tonight :corn:

Yeah i'm gonna say high scoring game as well. 31-28, Birds!

:fp: WOW, well Andy Reid unless we see a miracle run this year, good bye! :wave:

Actually in my pick 'em league I had the Saints winning, 28-21
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • I've never hated a Philly team like I hate this one.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 Posts: 12,632
    just awful. pathetic.
  • Fuck You Andy Reid,Howard Mudd, Jim Washburn,Jason Babin,Andy Reid and The pathetic O and D line. I hate this team I hate 95% of the players, I hate it all. I feel like the fixer when it comes to Ryan Howard. Fuck You John Gruden and your dumb comments. Please,please,please lose out so we can end this tenure. I hate everyone and everything right now. FUCK YOU 2012-13 season IM DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • I like John Gruden, lol
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    I was wondering if Andy and Gruden are friends or something, he was really writing a love letter to the guy tonight. The game was a little boring so I flipped around, but it seemed every time I turned back Gruden was going on and on about Reid. And Gruden was passing out all kinds of blame, just not to him. He threw that O-Line coach under the bus. And for good reason, but Andy should get some blame as well. The last thing I remembered him saying was how all the people in the other cities of the NFC East are going to be cheering if Andy gets fired, because they don't want to face him. I have no problem with Andy, but from the way Gruden was talking about him you'd think he was Vince Lombardi. He's never won a Super Bowl as head coach, and his record (while above .500) isn't exactly stellar. I don't understand where all the adoration comes from. I think he's decent enough, and if he does get fired I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere else. I feel bad for the guy over what happened with his son, and maybe that's what Gruden was feeling and why he said all that. It was just a little bizarre.
  • They were showing all these stats for Reid and how he's up there with Bill Belichick and the Giant's head coach for playoff wins and such. That's why Gruden started talking about him. And yes he did mention that Reid just lost his son in the preseason and so he's gone through that as well.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
    They were showing all these stats for Reid and how he's up there with Bill Belichick and the Giant's head coach for playoff wins and such. That's why Gruden started talking about him. And yes he did mention that Reid just lost his son in the preseason and so he's gone through that as well.

Yeah man, blows about his son. But Reid is not up there with Belichick and Coughlin in playoff wins. Are you sure he said that?

Post Season Records As Head Coach

Bill Belichick - 17-7, .708 Win %, 3 Super Bowl Titles

Tom Coughlin - 12-7, .632 Win %, 2 Super Bowl Titles

Andy Reid - 10-9, .526 Win %, No Super Bowl Titles

Andy seems like a nice guy though. I love the way he's so calm in press conferences after a loss. Even tonight he had his shit under control, shouldered the blame, etc.
    It's sad but I will not be entering that stadium anymore this year. I will find something more beneficial to do on Sundays for those 6+ hours.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    gotta love fans who are only fans when a team is good. i guess we won't be seeing you guys around for the next five years or so, because this franchise has the look of a long downward spiral. i agree it's pretty clear a change at then end of this season is in store but i don't see it getting any better in the short term. a new coach, new systems, totally destroyed offense line, with a new qb with very little experience is not a recipe for success next season and beyond in the short term.

anyone want to take bets on how many games this team wins over the next 40 or 50 games? 40 games is the next 2.5 years. i'm guessing maybe 10-30 in that span.
    pjhawks wrote:
    gotta love fans who are only fans when a team is good. i guess we won't be seeing you guys around for the next five years or so, because this franchise has the look of a long downward spiral. i agree it's pretty clear a change at then end of this season is in store but i don't see it getting any better in the short term. a new coach, new systems, totally destroyed offense line, with a new qb with very little experience is not a recipe for success next season and beyond in the short term.

anyone want to take bets on how many games this team wins over the next 40 or 50 games? 40 games is the next 2.5 years. i'm guessing maybe 10-30 in that span.

What's your definition of a fan? I hope you weren't referring to me because I'll actually still watch as much as I can and will want them to win. If being a season ticketholder for forever isn't a fan, then I'm not sure what a fan is. Going to games for 6+ hours is a huge committment and when I don't see them same committment or effort on the field, it's quite a let down. I'd rather get stuff done around the house.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

What's your definition of a fan? I hope you weren't referring to me because I'll actually still watch as much as I can and will want them to win. If being a season ticketholder for forever isn't a fan, then I'm not sure what a fan is. Going to games for 6+ hours is a huge committment and when I don't see them same committment or effort on the field, it's quite a let down. I'd rather get stuff done around the house.

someone who has the same passion for an 11-5 team as a 5-11 team. a fan is someone who will be in front of the tv next sunday and the following sunday, until the end of the season, not out raking leaves or christmas shopping during the game. i understand life takes precendent over games at times, but not watching or not caring because a team goes through a down cycle is the definition of being a bandwagon fan. the losses of a bad team and the bad play of a bad team should annoy you as much as when a good team fails. being a real fan is not putting a sticker on a car when a team is good (a la 900,000 locals who came out of the woodwork for the phils after 2008) or attending games only when a team is good. that's my definiton.

what is your definition?
    howie roseman got an extension. :lol::lol::lol:

so he'll be picking the next coach. :lol:
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.