THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Last team to win a SB without an elite QB?

it's def a passing league. dumb rules are skewed to make things that way

you know where I'm going with this...
  • The Fixer wrote:

Tampa in 03, he's still running!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

he wasn't elite, but def more solid than darth loser

but yeah, it's been a decade. league has changed a lot over that time
  • The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he wasn't elite, but def more solid than darth loser
    Wasn't that your question? Who the last team to win without an elite qb?
    Go Birds!!!!
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    The Fixer wrote:

do we consider eli to be elite?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,717
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Yes
    81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

absolutely

top 5 = elite
  • 81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Probably,but he's more clutch imo then elite. Which might be better actually.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Thanks, This it's a passing not a running league theory bothers me. The teams Like the Pats,Saints and Packers all throw because they can't run. And they have the cream of the crop Qb's.

Small issue with this ...

The Saints were 6th in the league last year in total rushing yards ... same as they were in 2009 when they won the superbowl.

4 of the last 5 years, the Pats have been in the top 10-12 in rushing and have been in the top 5 in rushing TDs each of the last 5 years.

Just because they don't have ONE back doing all the rushing doesn't mean they can't rush the ball.

But if the premise is that you need an elite QB to win, I'd say that correlation is well above 90% over the past 2 decades.

I had a discussion about this with someone on the board a few years ago ... I think there was only one or two QBs who had a season QB rating under 90 of the last 15 or 20 superbowl winners.

Trent Dilfer and Eli in 2007. Even Brad Johnson had a great year the Bucs won (QB rating over 90). But, these teams all had phenomenal defenses, which is what it takes to overcome a mediocre QB who commits a ton of turnovers (are Jets fans reading this?)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • jimed14 wrote:
    Thanks, This it's a passing not a running league theory bothers me. The teams Like the Pats,Saints and Packers all throw because they can't run. And they have the cream of the crop Qb's.

Small issue with this ...

The Saints were 6th in the league last year in total rushing yards ... same as they were in 2009 when they won the superbowl.

4 of the last 5 years, the Pats have been in the top 10-12 in rushing and have been in the top 5 in rushing TDs each of the last 5 years.

Just because they don't have ONE back doing all the rushing doesn't mean they can't rush the ball.

But if the premise is that you need an elite QB to win, I'd say that correlation is well above 90% over the past 2 decades.

I had a discussion about this with someone on the board a few years ago ... I think there was only one or two QBs who had a season QB rating under 90 of the last 15 or 20 superbowl winners.

Trent Dilfer and Eli in 2007. Even Brad Johnson had a great year the Bucs won (QB rating over 90). But, these teams all had phenomenal defenses, which is what it takes to overcome a mediocre QB who commits a ton of turnovers (are Jets fans reading this?)
    Good point. Without doing research i'd assume those teams threw for big leads and ran to kill the clock.
    Go Birds!!!!
    jimed14 wrote:
    But, these teams all had phenomenal defenses, which is what it takes to overcome a mediocre QB who commits a ton of turnovers (are Jets fans reading this?)

probably not. but eagles fans are and we have the same problem

good post though. back to the original point about run v pass...the league has dramatically changed over the last 5 years or so. the league is so geared towards the pass.

as for non-elite qbs...would love to see alex smith win the SB this year. He played great yesterday. I love the way that SF squad plays.
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    Per Phil Sheridan of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"The problem is, Vick looked like he was in midseason form - the form that he's been in since late in the 2010 season. In his last 16 starts, Vick has thrown 22 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. The Eagles' record is 8-8 in those games.

This game felt more like a continuation of that disturbing trend than a mere aberration caused by Vick's abbreviated preseason. It looked and felt and, frankly, smelled like losses to Minnesota, Buffalo, Arizona and Chicago over the past two seasons."
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,788
    Looked like he was still in pre-season form. (of course I'm sure it didn't help that he missed most of the pre-season also. ;) )
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Looked like he was still in pre-season form. (of course I'm sure it didn't help that he missed most of the pre-season also. ;) )

Nah. It looked like his mid-season form.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    a decade and a half in and andy reid still has not learned from past experiences. i don't get it. i never will.

play calling was just atrocious yesterday. your qb didn't have a preseason and he was playing like shit against a defense that was decent against the pass last year....hmmm....i know, throw it 60 times and run it 20! that's the ticket. :roll:

defense looked good...against scrubs. last drive for the offense was encouraging.

shady mccoy is a god damn beast.

only hope for next week is the ravens are coming off a short week.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Dream team? Does that stil count with vince out of the league
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Hartydog wrote:
    Per Phil Sheridan of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"The problem is, Vick looked like he was in midseason form - the form that he's been in since late in the 2010 season. In his last 16 starts, Vick has thrown 22 touchdowns and 20 interceptions. The Eagles' record is 8-8 in those games.

This game felt more like a continuation of that disturbing trend than a mere aberration caused by Vick's abbreviated preseason. It looked and felt and, frankly, smelled like losses to Minnesota, Buffalo, Arizona and Chicago over the past two seasons."

serious question...who is the best team vick has beaten as an eagle?

colts with manning (though they weren't good that year)
    nyg (due to deseans' miracle punt return)

am I missing anyone?
    81 wrote:
    Dream team? Does that stil count with vince out of the league

some people in this thread have a history of defending vince young :lol:
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    So we get to face Kevin Kolb in 2 weeks. Good grief if he beats us.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Finally, a reason for me to like Djax(a little).

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... book_.html
    a decade and a half in and andy reid still has not learned from past experiences. i don't get it. i never will.

play calling was just atrocious yesterday. your qb didn't have a preseason and he was playing like shit against a defense that was decent against the pass last year....hmmm....i know, throw it 60 times and run it 20! that's the ticket. :roll:

defense looked good...against scrubs. last drive for the offense was encouraging.

shady mccoy is a god damn beast.

only hope for next week is the ravens are coming off a short week.

Andy is an easy target with the playcalling but I think he has a point about the penalties affecting them. There were a bunch of runs called back for holding and then it's 1st or 2nd and 20. Then we'd complain he's running on 2nd and long. :lol: Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more runs called overall.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The Fixer wrote:

Game was already going to OT. Give Vick credit for that game at least. He was unreal.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

Game was already going to OT. Give Vick credit for that game at least. He was unreal.

he sucked in that game for 53 out of 60 minutes. dumb giants sat in a prevent and he made some plays.

anyway, does anyone have a feel for sunday? Surprised to see the eagles as 2.5 point favorites. I have no idea what to expect. I could see them winning by 10 or losing by 20. Nothing would surprise me.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

he sucked in that game for 53 out of 60 minutes. dumb giants sat in a prevent and he made some plays.

anyway, does anyone have a feel for sunday? Surprised to see the eagles as 2.5 point favorites. I have no idea what to expect. I could see them winning by 10 or losing by 20. Nothing would surprise me.

I have a feeling that I'll be drunk. Other than that, I'm hoping for the best. I'd like to see a quick slant every now and then. Maybe try to bring the safeties closer to the line.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I have a feeling that I'll be drunk. Other than that, I'm hoping for the best. I'd like to see a quick slant every now and then. Maybe try to bring the safeties closer to the line.

vick can't throw the slant. one of three things happens when he throws slants...

1 - knocked down at line of scrimmage
    2 - LB deflects or picks it off because he can't read a defense
    3 - he throws it behind or too high for the wr

vick throwing the slant is like mcnabb throwing the fade. not pretty

getting drunk sounds good though
  • Have a feeling this game is going to be ugly. The old Week 2 home opener going awry for the Philadelphia Eagles. Happens all the time. Can't believe we are giving 2.5.

I just had a flashback to the TO/Ravens game, when TO did the Ray Ray dance after his TD. Good times.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • philly.com poll - who will win - Eagles or Ravens?

Ravens 63%
    Eagles 37%

Yes, that's "philly.com".

:lol:

• Here's a list of stupid home opening losses in my 25 or so years of watching the Eagles:

1986 Wk 3: lost to Broncos 33-7 in the first NFL game I ever attended. We managed to give up a safety while receiving the opening kickoff. I was 9 years old and didn't know WTF was going on in that place. :lol:
    1988 Wk 2: lost to Bengals 28-24. Well at least the Bengals made it to the Super Bowl that year.
    1990 Wk 2: lost to Phoenix Cardinals 23-21. :roll:
    1991 Wk 2: lost to Cardinals (maybe it was Arizona this time - who knows) 26-10
    1995 Wk 1: lost to Buccaneers 21-6 - "for whom for what" game.
    1998 Wk 1: lost to Seahawks, 38-0 - Ricky Watters revenge game
    1999 Wk 1: lost to Cardinals (again) 25-24
    2000 Wk 2: lost to Giants 33-18, first of 3 losses to Giants that year
    2001 Wk 1: lost to Rams 20-17 in OT - couldn't fall on a Rams fumble on OT kickoff
    2003 Wk 1 & 2: lost to Bucs on MNF 17-0, lost to Patriots 31-10 in first two games at Linc
    2006 Wk 2: lost to Giants 30-24 in OT - blew a 17-pt lead I think
    2007 Wk 2: lost to Redskins 20-12
    2009 Wk 2: lost to eventual SB champion Saints 48-22
    2010 Wk 1: lost to eventual SB champion Packers 27-20 in "Kolb concussion game"
    2011 Wk 3: lost to eventual SB champion Giants 29-16

I guess the Ravens are gonna win the Super Bowl, huh?

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    edited September 2012
    thoughts on today before i head down to the linc....

people tend to overreact to week 1 results in the nfl. the ravens are pretty damn good football team but they are coming off a short week, tend to lose week 2 a lot, and have the pats to look forward to next week. vick certainly is not a great passer, but he's not nearly as bad as last week (of course we all know the play calling didn't help him). not having a preseason played a factor too.

both teams are vegas favorites to make deep runs in the post season. birds are at home. add all this up, that is why the line is what it is.

when reid gets overly drunk with the passing game, he usually gets back on the wagon and reigns it in... for at least a week or two before going on another bender. i think we will see some more balance today. need to see some more 3 step drops to just prevent vick from wanting to hold onto the ball too long. bengals had good success with screens on monday. we barely used them last week. look for this today. and they gotta mix in the long ball with djack and maclin to open up running lanes for shhhhhhhhhhhhady. also--i've ready multiple stuff this week about the birds completely trying something new...no huddle? sal pal was hinting that might be the reason for the closed practices this week. we'll see.

i'm really concerned about ngata going up against the fireman all day.

really interested to see how the defense does against a legit nfl offense. one who operates out of the no huddle a lot too. i don't think we can make a real judgement from what we saw last week. let's go juuuuuuan. he's a defensive guy.

i think the birds can win. i don't think they will. andy reid's record vs afc playoff teams (which the ravens should be) is 2-15. that is not a typo. i'm saying 27-20 ravens. hope i'm wrong.

GO BIRDS!!!!!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.