THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    and looks like orton is going to miami. the cards appear to be the only trading partner...as expected.

actually shefter is reporting the deal with the cards will take place. he's saying the birds will get drc and a pick. lovely.

beat it kolb!

explain this sentiment please - why throw away a decent-to-good qb? there are only about 20 of them in the whole league. not that i think Kolb is going to be a star but i think this is going to come back and haunt us.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,534
    pjhawks wrote:
    and looks like orton is going to miami. the cards appear to be the only trading partner...as expected.

actually shefter is reporting the deal with the cards will take place. he's saying the birds will get drc and a pick. lovely.

beat it kolb!

explain this sentiment please - why throw away a decent-to-good qb? there are only about 20 of them in the whole league. not that i think Kolb is going to be a star but i think this is going to come back and haunt us.

because they are going to sign vick to a 3 or 4 year deal in the next 6 weeks. kolb's contract is done at the end of the year. why let him walk for nothing? this way, we fill a gaping hole at corner back.

i said this in the phils thread, but this situation reminds me a lot of the worley and happ situations. people in this town tend to overvalue young players who haven't proven themselves yet.

this is a good move. somehow ending up with a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder as well would make it great.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

beat it kolb!

because they are going to sign vick to a 3 or 4 year deal in the next 6 weeks. kolb's contract is done at the end of the year. why let him walk for nothing? this way, we fill a gaping hole at corner back.

i said this in the phils thread, but this situation reminds me a lot of the worley and happ situations. people in this town tend to overvalue young players who haven't proven themselves yet.

this is a good move. somehow ending up with a 2nd or even a 3rd rounder as well would make it great.

i understand the possible contract and free agency issue but it almost seems like people want him gone for some reason. saying 'beat it kolb' seems to me like you are happy they are trading him. that is the sentiment i don't understand.

tough spot for the franchise for sure because I don't have complete faith in Vick for 3 or 4 more years. Personally i just have a bad feeling Vick is going to take a step back and/or get hurt this year. then where are you? i'd almost rather wait the year out with Kolb and see where the franchise and Vick situation is at the end of the year. if you lose him in free agency it's not that big of a deal to me because it's not like you are getting a star or stars back for him. Draft picks in the NFL are treated like gold by some but their value is way overrated in my opinion.
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

i understand the possible contract and free agency issue but it almost seems like people want him gone for some reason. saying 'beat it kolb' seems to me like you are happy they are trading him. that is the sentiment i don't understand.

tough spot for the franchise for sure because I don't have complete faith in Vick for 3 or 4 more years. Personally i just have a bad feeling Vick is going to take a step back and/or get hurt this year. then where are you? i'd almost rather wait the year out with Kolb and see where the franchise and Vick situation is at the end of the year. if you lose him in free agency it's not that big of a deal to me because it's not like you are getting a star or stars back for him. Draft picks in the NFL are treated like gold by some but their value is way overrated in my opinion.

well i am happy they traded him...or appear to be on the verge of trading him. and we are getting a pro bowler in return for him, a year removed, but still. drc is a very good cover corner. lacks in the tackling department, as has been discussed here, but he's only 26, is under a very manageable contract for 3 more years (which is important as the cap has been lowered), and fills a HUGE hole.

the way i look at it, kolb's an unknown quantity. vick is a known quantity. yes, i'm a little concerned he may regress this year, especially without any offseason programs. but i'm happy with him for the next few years. definitely.

and kolb, while showing flashes at times, has been a turnover machine. 22 turnovers to 11 touchdowns (i think those are the numbers). in reid's offense, that is a bit alarming. none of his qb's, with the exception of mike mcmahon, have exhibited tendencies like that. you also have to consider that none of the qb's reid has traded have gone on to be productive.

this is a solid move in my opinion.
    www.myspace.com
    well i am happy they traded him...or appear to be on the verge of trading him. and we are getting a pro bowler in return for him, a year removed, but still. drc is a very good cover corner. lacks in the tackling department, as has been discussed here, but he's only 26, is under a very manageable contract for 3 more years (which is important as the cap has been lowered), and fills a HUGE hole.

the way i look at it, kolb's an unknown quantity. vick is a known quantity. yes, i'm a little concerned he may regress this year, especially without any offseason programs. but i'm happy with him for the next few years. definitely.

and kolb, while showing flashes at times, has been a turnover machine. 22 turnovers to 11 touchdowns (i think those are the numbers). in reid's offense, that is a bit alarming. none of his qb's, with the exception of mike mcmahon, have exhibited tendencies like that. you also have to consider that none of the qb's reid has traded have gone on to be productive.

i guess the follow-up will be the important step for how i feel about this. who will be the backup and do they have any faith in Kafka? only really bad year Reid has had other than his 1st was the year he had a shitty backup QB In McMahon. the way Vick plays he is going to be banged up so a decent-to-good backup is essential in my opinion.
    pjhawks wrote:

i guess the follow-up will be the important step for how i feel about this. who will be the backup and do they have any faith in Kafka? only really bad year Reid has had other than his 1st was the year he had a shitty backup QB In McMahon. the way Vick plays he is going to be banged up so a decent-to-good backup is essential in my opinion.

bret farve. :lol: ....seriously, have you been paying attention at all? it's still a rumor at this point, but i would not be surprised if he's vick's backup come september 11th.

we talked about the other options a few pages back. not sure if they're still available. but your point is a good one. they need to add a veteran there. kafka will be the 3rd stringer.
    www.myspace.com
    don banks:

• Arizona looks like a potential winner in all this, because the Cardinals stayed patient and didn't make a huge first-day jump at Kolb, the Eagles' backup who has long been rumored on his way to the desert. With Seattle and San Francisco making their QB moves first, Philadelphia lost trading leverage and now must either deal with Arizona or keep Kolb for another year.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... nfl_t12_a1
    www.myspace.com
    bret farve. :lol: ....seriously, have you been paying attention at all? it's still a rumor at this point, but i would not be surprised if he's vick's backup come september 11th.

we talked about the other options a few pages back. not sure if they're still available. but your point is a good one. they need to add a veteran there. kafka will be the 3rd stringer.

i've been pretty much ignoring the NFL talk and all the rumors to this point. I've heard the Favre talk but i don't see him going anywhere to be a backup but maybe Reid is crazy enough to talk him into it.

and DeSean should hold out until they redo the deal. as much as some think a certain someone on the baseball team is overpaid this guy is woefully underpaid for how good he has been/is.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I'm fine with the kolb trade for DRC as long as they get a 2nd rounder with it. Anything less than that is not enough IMO.

Jeags, you need to stop using kolb's stats against him. what were peyton mannings stats thru his first 16 games? it takes most qbs a year or two of consistent playing time before they get comfortable. kolb hasn't had consistent PT yet. I'm not saying he's gonna be great, but I don't think using his stats against him is fair.

I agree with PJhawks about vick. I don't think they will ever win with him. Unless he magically learns how to make a pre-snap read, adjust on the fly, and make quick decisions in the pocket (which is what the birds offense is predicated on). Kolb has half the physical talent of vick, but I honestly believe he is the better fit in reids offense.

Ray Edwards still out there? I'd much rather have him than babin. Babin is jayson werth in my eyes...complimentary player that is gonna get way too much money from someone
    If I'm andy reid I'm on the phone with Washington ASAP. If nothing else but to get some leverage back with Arizona.

beck and grossman is hilarious. even more hilarious is that people still think mike shanahan is a good coach. elway made that guy's career...he has one playoff win since elway retired. he sucks
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm fine with the kolb trade for DRC as long as they get a 2nd rounder with it. Anything less than that is not enough IMO.

Jeags, you need to stop using kolb's stats against him. what were peyton mannings stats thru his first 16 games? it takes most qbs a year or two of consistent playing time before they get comfortable. kolb hasn't had consistent PT yet. I'm not saying he's gonna be great, but I don't think using his stats against him is fair.

I agree with PJhawks about vick. I don't think they will ever win with him. Unless he magically learns how to make a pre-snap read, adjust on the fly, and make quick decisions in the pocket (which is what the birds offense is predicated on). Kolb has half the physical talent of vick, but I honestly believe he is the better fit in reids offense.

Ray Edwards still out there? I'd much rather have him than babin. Babin is jayson werth in my eyes...complimentary player that is gonna get way too much money from someone

kolb hasn't been a rookie since 2008. i know he hasn't played a lot of games yet. but he's no rookie. he's been learning under one the league's best qb coaches for 4 years. he preaches to his qb's not to turn the ball over. say what you want about 5, but the fact that he had one of the best td/int ratios of all time is one of the main reasons this team was so succesful. even in his first year i think he had 8 tds vs 7 picks. reid knows what he's doing in this regard.

edwards is still out there...with the contract c johnson got, he's gonna come at a premium.
    www.myspace.com
    pjhawks wrote:

i've been pretty much ignoring the NFL talk and all the rumors to this point. I've heard the Favre talk but i don't see him going anywhere to be a backup but maybe Reid is crazy enough to talk him into it.

and DeSean should hold out until they redo the deal. as much as some think a certain someone on the baseball team is overpaid this guy is woefully underpaid for how good he has been/is.

i think farve knows he can't hold up for a full season...plus there is no where for him to start at this point.

totally agree about desean. 30 players on the eagles roster alone make more than he does. pay the man.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

kolb hasn't been a rookie since 2008. i know he hasn't played a lot of games yet. but he's no rookie. he's been learning under one the league's best qb coaches for 4 years. he preaches to his qb's not to turn the ball over. say what you want about 5, but the fact that he had one of the best td/int ratios of all time is one of the main reasons this team was so succesful. even in his first year i think he had 8 tds vs 7 picks. reid knows what he's doing in this regard.

edwards is still out there...with the contract c johnson got, he's gonna come at a premium.

I hear you, he's not a rook. He hasn't been on the field much though. mcnabb's low INT rate was actually a point of contention with some in the organization. he didn't have the ability to throw guys open like the rag arms of garcia and feely. Anyway, I don't want to get into a mcnabb thing...I just don't think kolb's numbers are all that relevant based on his PT.

hopefuly that 2nd rounder is coming with DRC
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I hear you, he's not a rook. He hasn't been on the field much though. mcnabb's low INT rate was actually a point of contention with some in the organization. he didn't have the ability to throw guys open like the rag arms of garcia and feely. Anyway, I don't want to get into a mcnabb thing...I just don't think kolb's numbers are all that relevant based on his PT.

hopefuly that 2nd rounder is coming with DRC

you win games by not turning the ball over and creating turnovers on defense. when that team was a legit contender it was because we didn't turn the ball over and forced a boatload on d.

those "point of contention" rumors came out at the end when the organization soured on him.
    www.myspace.com
    "at the end"-- meaning last few years of his time here. maybe i'm crazy, but i'm a big fan of not turning the ball over

look, i think you like kolb more than i do, or the eagles and the rest of the league does apparently. that's cool. i see his ceiling as an average nfl qb who will you with turnovers when pressured. could be dead wrong. who knows? but i'm glad this trade is about to go down. now hopefully edwards is the next big move on friday.....then there's that linebacker situation. oh boy...

GO BIRDS.

edit--this was in reply to a post by fixer that got deleted apparently... :?
    www.myspace.com
    "at the end"-- meaning last few years of his time here. maybe i'm crazy, but i'm a big fan of not turning the ball over

look, i think you like kolb more than i do, or the eagles and the rest of the league does apparently. that's cool. i see his ceiling as an average nfl qb who will you kill with turnovers when pressured. could be dead wrong. who knows? but i'm glad this trade is about to go down. now hopefully edwards is the next big move on friday.....then there's that linebacker situation. oh boy...

GO BIRDS.

haha, I just deleted my post because I didn't want to get into a mcnabb thing.

anyway, yeah it's obvious you like mcnabb a lot more than I do and I like kolb more than you do. I was always a big mcnabb supporter until the arizona choke job. eagles got the ball back down 7 and I knew the game was over.

apparently kolb deal near completion. still no word on what kind of pick they're looking at
    The Fixer wrote:

look, i think you like kolb more than i do, or the eagles and the rest of the league does apparently. that's cool. i see his ceiling as an average nfl qb who will you kill with turnovers when pressured. could be dead wrong. who knows? but i'm glad this trade is about to go down. now hopefully edwards is the next big move on friday.....then there's that linebacker situation. oh boy...

GO BIRDS.

haha, I just deleted my post because I didn't want to get into a mcnabb thing.

anyway, yeah it's obvious you like mcnabb a lot more than I do and I like kolb more than you do. I was always a big mcnabb supporter until the arizona choke job. eagles got the ball back down 7 and I knew the game was over.

apparently kolb deal near completion. still no word on what kind of pick they're looking at

well he lead them back once that game. couldn't do it a 2nd time. oh well.

i heard it's a lower level pick...maybe a 3rd. find out tomorrow probably.
    www.myspace.com
    final word on mcnabb...

it seemed like all of his big games were the same. suck in the first qtr, team falls behind, he plays well in 2nd/3rd quarters, chance to win/tie at end and he blows it. arizona (the birds left 50 points on the field in the first half of that game too), tampa (not win or tie, but I thought they were going to win that game until rhonde barber happened), super bowl, st louis.

the only real comeback he had in playoffs was 4th and 26

so who are we looking at as the backup? favre or bulger. yikes
    reid and mcnabb are joined at the hip in my opinion. we've discussed this way too many times. can't believe we have to do it again. reid's been called the worst game manager in the whole league. that's taking it too far, obviously. but i respect michael lombardi's opinions on the game. reid's come up small in big games every single year. we saw that last year after donovan left.

mcnabb at his peak was a very good quarterback. when he's bad, he's really bad.
    reid at his best is a very good coach. when he's bad, you get the abortion that was the vikings game last year.
    neither of them are great.

one of the other issues with this kolb thing lasting longer and longer is that our back up qb options are signing with other teams....which means farve becomes more and more likely.
    www.myspace.com
    I don't know how you can blame reid for last year. they had a chance to beat a more talented team and their QB choked.

vick was HORRIBLE in the minnesota game too. andy reid didnt cause him to fumble away a TD or throw multiple passes into coverage. minnesota dropped 8 guys into coverage and vick couldn't read the defense (sound familiar?)
    The Fixer wrote:
    I don't know how you can blame reid for last year. they had a chance to beat a more talented team and their QB choked.

vick was HORRIBLE in the minnesota game too. andy reid didnt cause him to fumble away a TD or throw multiple passes into coverage. minnesota dropped 8 guys into coverage and vick couldn't read the defense (sound familiar?)

when your qb is going bad, just continue to throw, throw, throw right? :roll: :lol: awful. that's what the eagles reverted to towards the end of the year last year. made no sense. vick wasn't playing too well, but his coach didn't do anything to help him. it was not surprising.

and that team was not ready to play that game. biggest game of the year and they didn't show up. first round bye was on the line. 2nd year in a row. at home. as a favorite. didn't show up. no excuse for that.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

when your qb is going bad, just continue to throw, throw, throw right? :roll: :lol: awful. that's what the eagles reverted to towards the end of the year last year. made no sense. vick wasn't playing too well, but his coach didn't do anything to help him. it was not surprising.

and that team was not ready to play that game. biggest game of the year and they didn't show up. first round bye was on the line. 2nd year in a row. at home. as a favorite. didn't show up. no excuse for that.

all true. then again, I don't think that team as a whole was very good. the fact that they won 10 games with that defense is nothing short of a miracle
    you also said the packers sucked last year (when trying to downplay vick's performance against them when kolb got hurt). they won the super bowl as a 6 seed...an imperfect team with a bunch of injuries who got hot at the right time. the eagles had as good a shot at any in the weak nfc to get to the super bowl last year.

that's why the first round bye was incredibly important for them. instead of that, they ended up having to play the hottest team in the league in the first round.
    www.myspace.com
    you also said the packers sucked last year (when trying to downplay vick's performance against them when kolb got hurt). they won the super bowl as a 6 seed...an imperfect team with a bunch of injuries who got hot at the right time. the eagles had as good a shot at any in the weak nfc to get to the super bowl last year.

that's why the first round bye was incredibly important for them. instead of that, they ended up having to play the hottest team in the league in the first round.

I never said GB sucked. Ask anyone that knows me. I bet them every week last year because I loved them. even laid 2500 on them in the SB

I said vicks performance didn't mean anything because of the defense the pack was playing in the 2nd half. they had a huge lead when vick got into the game.

nice try, bad memory
    sorry. you said they weren't that good (in november):
    The Fixer wrote:
    you talk about the skins beating green bay like that is some tremendous accomplishment. the packers aren't that good.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=121800&p=3281144&hilit=packers#p3281144

point remains the same though. the nfc was weak last year. birds had a shot and blew it.
    www.myspace.com
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    the Eagles were never good enough to win last year...they are never good enough any year. :lol: more seriously they are usually overachieving because of andy reid, only to lose because of any reid.
    The Fixer wrote:
    you talk about the skins beating green bay like that is some tremendous accomplishment. the packers aren't that good.

point remains the same though. the nfc was weak last year. birds had a shot and blew it.

i was talking out of my ass there. I was on GB's nuts all year. Got caught up trying to explain to someone how shitty the skins were :thumbup: . under 7 wins...bang
    RW81233 wrote:
    the Eagles were never good enough to win last year...they are never good enough any year. :lol: more seriously they are usually overachieving because of andy reid, only to lose because of any reid.

Reid didn't cause his QB to grow a vagina in big spots.

It's weird...in the 5 NFC title games mcnabb played in for the birds, his best was the first one. not so coincidentally that was the only one which they weren't favored. the guy just can't handle pressure. some guys can, some guys just can't
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i was talking out of my ass there. I was on GB's nuts all year. Got caught up trying to explain to someone how shitty the skins were :thumbup: . under 7 wins...bang

so you're either talking out your ass or your drunk when you say stupid things? got it.

yeah yeah yeah....they finished with 6. big deal, it was close :mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.