THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES...

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972

Blast. This isn't good for filling the D co. position anyway with another head coaching spot open.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,530

Blast. This isn't good for filling the D co. position anyway with another head coaching spot open.

at this point, they have to be banking everything on one of the packers or steelers assistants. that article mentioned darren perry. domo talked about him yesterday too:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... ?viewAll=y
    www.myspace.com
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    quality article. sheridan is solid

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists ... _plan.html
    The Fixer wrote:

really? i've always thought sheridan was awful with every sport he comments on. always points out the obvious. the birds have a plan. duh. :lol:

i enjoyed this rich hoffman article. speaks about the birds thinking outside the box and feeling a sense of urgency, which is good:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eag ... staff.html
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

really? i've always thought sheridan was awful with every sport he comments on. always points out the obvious. the birds have a plan. duh. :lol:

i enjoyed this rich hoffman article. speaks about the birds thinking outside the box and feeling a sense of urgency, which is good:

yeah, I like sheridan, hoffman, domo, and especially murphy. hagen and donnellon are absolutely terrible
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, I like sheridan, hoffman, domo, and especially murphy. hagen and donnellon are absolutely terrible

mcclain is solid too as birds beat writer. i like les bowen too a little bit. though he doesn't know nearly as much as domo and some of the other guys. his articles are usually pretty interesting. and it's funny how reid always gives him shit in his press conferences.

to me, sheridan is slop like hagan and donnellon though. i'm surprised you like him actually. he was real supportive of the howard contract extension last year. he's not a sabermetrics guy either....
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

mcclain is solid too as birds beat writer. i like les bowen too a little bit. though he doesn't know nearly as much as domo and some of the other guys. his articles are usually pretty interesting. and it's funny how reid always gives him shit in his press conferences.

to me, sheridan is slop like hagan and donnellon though. i'm surprised you like him actually. he was real supportive of the howard contract extension last year. he's not a sabermetrics guy either....

I went down to New Orleans for an eagles game a few years ago. I flew back by myself because none of my cheap ass buddies were willing to pay for a direct flight (I refuse to fly connecting flights after a longg weekend of boozing). Anyway, I was on the flight with all of the philly writers...hoffman, hayes, d-gunn, bowen, domo, sheridan...all of them (there were only 1 or 2 direct flights from NO to philly that monday). Les Bowen sat next to me in the terminal and we talked for a while before our flight boarded. He couldn't have been a nicer dude.

Funny part was that I had been in NO for 3 nights. My mom was the one that picked me up at the airport. First words out of her mouth were...'you STINK like alcohol. Not beer, alcohol.'

haha, Bourbon Street got the best of me. I probably had booze oozing out of my pores for a week after that trip. I can only imagine what les bowen was thinking while he was talking to me.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I went down to New Orleans for an eagles game a few years ago. I flew back by myself because none of my cheap ass buddies were willing to pay for a direct flight (I refuse to fly connecting flights after a longg weekend of boozing). Anyway, I was on the flight with all of the philly writers...hoffman, hayes, d-gunn, bowen, domo, sheridan...all of them (there were only 1 or 2 direct flights from NO to philly that monday). Les Bowen sat next to me in the terminal and we talked for a while before our flight boarded. He couldn't have been a nicer dude.

Funny part was that I had been in NO for 3 nights. My mom was the one that picked me up at the airport. First words out of her mouth were...'you STINK like alcohol. Not beer, alcohol.'

haha, Bourbon Street got the best of me. I probably had booze oozing out of my pores for a week after that trip. I can only imagine what les bowen was thinking while he was talking to me.

that's cool. bowen seems like he'd be cool. was that back in '06-ish? i know a bunch of people who went to that game. that was the year we lost to them in the playoffs right?

when i was in high school i had a journalism class. one of the assignments was to invite some local journalist in to talk to the class. i wrote to ray didinger and never heard back from him. ended up getting some schlub editor at the Suburban or something....anyway about 3 years later i got a phone call out of the blue from didinger. it was when he was leaving the daily news for nfl films. he found my letter buried under a bunch of shit on his desk as he was cleaning it out and felt bad that he never got back to me. so he basically called to apologize. stand up guy, that ray diddy.

some other guy in my class got bill lyon to come in though. lyon is my all time favorite philly writer. that was awesome sitting there listening to him talk about the profession and the general philly sports scene (which was terrible in the mid 90's) for an hour or so.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

that's cool. bowen seems like he'd be cool. was that back in '06-ish? i know a bunch of people who went to that game. that was the year we lost to them in the playoffs right?

when i was in high school i had a journalism class. one of the assignments was to invite some local journalist in to talk to the class. i wrote to ray didinger and never heard back from him. ended up getting some schlub editor at the Suburban or something....anyway about 3 years later i got a phone call out of the blue from didinger. it was when he was leaving the daily news for nfl films. he found my letter buried under a bunch of shit on his desk as he was cleaning it out and felt bad that he never got back to me. so he basically called to apologize. stand up guy, that ray diddy.

some other guy in my class got bill lyon to come in though. lyon is my all time favorite philly writer. that was awesome sitting there listening to him talk about the profession and the general philly sports scene (which was terrible in the mid 90's) for an hour or so.

Yeah, it was right around 2006. Same year they lost in the playoffs down there (I was at regular season game). Joe Horn abused michael lewis on a 40 yard TD. game was wild...eagles got down big early, took the lead in 2nd half, then NO tied it. Saints held the ball for last 8 minutes of the game and kicked a GW FG as time ran out. Ugh. Was weird down there...wasn't long after katrina had hit. I had my birds jersey on and on the way out of the game people were coming up to me, yelling shit at me, then shaking my hand and thanking me for visiting their city.

Bowen was really cool. We probably talked for a good 15 minutes. I was so hung over I was having trouble formulating sentences. He probably thought there was something wrong with me.

That's cool about Didinger and Lyon. I love when Lyon writes the special pieces these days for the Inquirer. He is great. And that story about Didinger is exactly how I would envision him to be. Seems like a real down to earth, genuinely good dude.
    Fixer, did you go to the game during the season in 2006 or the playoff game, in New Orleans?
    Fixer, did you go to the game during the season in 2006 or the playoff game, in New Orleans?

you were at the regular season one, weren't you? i think i remember you saying that at some point...

in other news there's reports out that Darren Perry may already have an "informal" agreement with the birds....
    www.myspace.com

regular season game.

you should have seen me doing karaoke at the Cat's Meow that weekend. Complete disaster
    The Fixer wrote:

regular season game.

you should have seen me doing karaoke at the Cat's Meow that weekend. Complete disaster

Nice. I was there too. That was a shit show of a good time. Probably best Eagles away trip ever. Can't be outdone.
    The Fixer wrote:

regular season game.

Nice. I was there too. That was a shit show of a good time. Probably best Eagles away trip ever. Can't be outdone.

yeah, classic weekend for me as well. That was during the 25-30 period I was talking about. There were 20 of us and we all had balcony rooms on Bourbon St. No way that shit happens with my crew in 2011. We'd be lucky to get a group of 8 together.

Birds at Dolphins is my target game this year. I might have one road trip in me before little Fixers start being made.
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    regular season game.

yeah, classic weekend for me as well. That was during the 25-30 period I was talking about. There were 20 of us and we all had balcony rooms on Bourbon St. No way that shit happens with my crew in 2011. We'd be lucky to get a group of 8 together.

Birds at Dolphins is my target game this year. I might have one road trip in me before little Fixers start being made.

Were you part of the parade from Bourbon Street to the Superdome? In. San. I. Ty.
    The Fixer wrote:

Were you part of the parade from Bourbon Street to the Superdome? In. San. I. Ty.

We were supposed to be, but we were so drunk and hungover from the two previous nights that we didn't make it. We actually got to the superdome before the parade did and saw it coming. That was AWESOME.

I remember the beers going down like razorblades that morning. I didn't eat anything and just started drinking. Somehow I stayed out until 4 AM that night and got up for my flight that left around 11 on monday morning.

train wreck

damnit...now I want to go back to NO
    hahahahaha, this is the group I went with in '06 to NO - I'm the dude right after the Eagles chant who points at the camera in the green hoodie. I. am. loaded. It's the bottom video.

http://www.greenlegion.com/community/videos
    shefter is saying the birds will franchise vick next month and entertain offers for kolb. :clap:

good article from mclane about the appearance of some sort of ultimatum on reid. good stuff:

Inside the Eagles
    Inside the Eagles: End in sight for Reid's Eagles tenure?
    By Jeff McLane

POSTED: January 30, 2011
    Inside the Eagles
    Inside the Eagles: End in sight for Reid's Eagles tenure?

By Jeff McLane

INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Andy, time's yours.

Three years, to be exact.

That may seem like an eternity for a contract, but in the NFL it is not - especially for a coach about to enter his 13th season without a championship.

While the consensus is that Andy Reid coaches the Eagles as long as the current ownership group is in place, for the first time ever the idea of his no longer manning the podium at the NovaCare Complex to deliver his trademark phrase is a very real possibility.

Andy, time's ticking.

Since the end of the 2009 season, Reid's actions and that of the front office have revealed as much. But two recent firings - one of his own doing and the other a possible foretelling - suggest that Reid's foothold isn't as sturdy as it was once.

Sean McDermott was as much a progeny of Reid as any of his assistants. While he adopted the young intern from the previous regime, Reid considered McDermott one of his own and would groom him to one day be a defensive coordinator. That is what he became - perhaps a little earlier than expected - when Jim Johnson died in July 2009.

Despite signs that McDermott was not yet ready for the job, Reid stood behind his young coordinator throughout a topsy-turvy season and right up until the day after a first-round playoff loss. Three days later, McDermott was fired.

There were signs earlier in the season that McDermott was on the chopping block. An ESPN NFL reporter went on the radio in October and said as much. A few weeks later, Reid, in a rare behind-the-scenes moment, scoffed at the notion and the accuracy of the reporter.

McDermott's defense at the time had rebounded briefly, but the Eagles' brass had already become wary of the 36-year-old. The unit's handful of problems resurfaced down the stretch and a once promising season ended abruptly. There was enough there to ask if McDermott would be back.

Reid said, "Yeah." But something changed over the next 72 hours. A team source said that Reid had already made up his mind by his season-ending news conference, and was just buying time. But his words in support of McDermott were emphatic.

Reid has final say on all football matters, the Eagles' front office has said repeatedly. But that does not mean owner Jeffrey Lurie, team president Joe Banner, and general manager Howie Roseman don't influence his decisions.

Look at the three most significant departures over the last year:

General manager Tom Heckert left to take the same position at Cleveland, conveniently under Reid friend and mentor Mike Holmgren. Quarterback Donovan McNabb was traded to Washington - then considered a much friendlier landing spot than other possible destinations. And McDermott was given a two-day head start and conveniently was hired for the same job by friend and former colleague, and new Panthers head coach, Ron Rivera.

These were Reid's guys and while a case could be made that each deserved to go, the coach obviously had to be coaxed into cutting the cords.

Andy, time's expiring.

All things must end, and after 16 seasons the Titans finally parted ways with coach Jeff Fisher on Thursday. With Fisher's firing Reid is now the longest-tenured coach in the NFL. While the two have been compared because of their longevity and their one winless trip to the Super Bowl, Reid has produced more playoff-bound teams.

At Fisher's farewell news conference he looked like a beaten-down man. The 52-year-old said he needed a break. Reid is also 52, and at some point a man of his size is going to have to make some life alterations or else.

Still, his staff continues to be amazed by his energy. This past season, with a team infused with youth, he seemed rejuvenated. But he was also prone to rapid mood swings unlike any seen before during his tenure. He was ebullient after victories over the Colts and Giants, red-faced and livid following losses against the Bears and Vikings.

Reid coached as if there were something more to lose than just the games.

How else do you explain the calculated coach's decision to bench quarterback Kevin Kolb for Michael Vick after just one game? It was probably the right decision, but it was so uncharacteristic.

That is why Reid hasn't rushed to hire a replacement for McDermott. He needs to find a coordinator as effective as Johnson, one that he can entrust with almost sole responsibility over the defense.

When Johnson was in charge, Reid could spend more time tinkering with his offense. Last season, though, he had to stick his beak over McDermott's shoulder more than ever, and that took away from the high-powered offense he had constructed.

Reid knows that with almost any of Johnson's defenses, the Eagles would have been a likely Super Bowl team this past season. Now he has to find a successor as good.

Because if the Eagles set a franchise record for points for the fourth straight season but finish 10-6 again and this time miss the playoffs because of a subpar defense, Reid could be the next under the guillotine.

Andy, time's up.
    www.myspace.com
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers

I just heard this today too. damn shame. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for missing those 2 kicks vs gb. Now vick is to blame for choking at the end (but according to fans it's reid's fault)

jeags, that mclane article was pretty weak. he says that reid 'obviously' was pushed to get rid of some of those assistants/employees. Really?? what proof is there? pretty sloppy piece if you ask me
    The Fixer wrote:

I just heard this today too. damn shame. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for missing those 2 kicks vs gb. Now vick is to blame for choking at the end (but according to fans it's reid's fault)

jeags, that mclane article was pretty weak. he says that reid 'obviously' was pushed to get rid of some of those assistants/employees. Really?? what proof is there? pretty sloppy piece if you ask me

slop piece? i realize it's not a phil sheridan-esque gem, but i liked it. speaks to what we were all talking about the other day about some kind of ultimatum. he's just putting the pieces of puzzle together. "oviously" probably wasn't the best word though.

florio's take: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ds-future/
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

slop piece? i realize it's not a phil sheridan-esque gem, but i liked it. speaks to what we were all talking about the other day about some kind of ultimatum. he's just putting the pieces of puzzle together. "oviously" probably wasn't the best word though.

all of this Eagles-related offseason stuff is speculation at this point. media outlets should give their NFL writers some time off until they have stories worth writing
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Jeags would not be surprised by that at all if Reid is next

For the most part he's had free reign without worrying about his job

He's produced winning teams so it's not shocking he's been untouched

Looking at it now it definitely doesn't seem like Reids decisions alone with these last few
    Moves
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Jeags would not be surprised by that at all if Reid is next

For the most part he's had free reign without worrying about his job

He's produced winning teams so it's not shocking he's been untouched

Looking at it now it definitely doesn't seem like Reids decisions alone with these last few
    Moves

if they are really, finally, trying light a fire under his fat ass, i can only assume that will be a good thing no matter how it shakes out....we'll see.

"pedal to the metal" :lol:
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

all of this Eagles-related offseason stuff is speculation at this point. media outlets should give their NFL writers some time off until they have stories worth writing

...unless it's a phil sheridan (of all people) article supporting your point of view ;):lol:
    www.myspace.com
    I find it hard to believe that howie roseman has any say at this point.

I think it's still reid's call on 99% of football related decisions.
    The Fixer wrote:

i hope you're right...but i don't think you are.

and i still cannot fathom that roseman is in the position he is in....boggles my mind.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

and i still cannot fathom that roseman is in the position he is in....boggles my mind.

who do you think is making decisions then?

as to your 2nd point...at least we agree on something
    The Fixer wrote:

who do you think is making decisions then?

as to your 2nd point...at least we agree on something

reid is, obviously. but banner and roseman are playing a much bigger role than in the past. i think this started a few years ago, possibly when reid took time off for his delinquent kids. i keep thinking of banner's "definition of insanity" soliloquy a few years ago...
    www.myspace.com
This discussion has been closed.