Ed should release My City of Ruins; all proceeds go to Haiti

Comments

• SOLAT319 wrote:
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    First off, Bruce and Jon Landau would have to okay this,

and I wouldnt hold my breath on it happening .
    You should go visit iTunes :)

hahaha :lol:
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • just an idea, but one way for the band and maybe all of us to help contribute to the relief effort in Haiti could be if Ed (or the whole band) digitally release a (studio) version of Bruce Springsteen's song 'My City of Ruins' and donate all proceeds to the relief effort?

here's his live version from the Kennedy Center Honors:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelR842p_78

i think it's a very fitting song, and Ed's voice really soars on this song. it's a beautiful song and the content is very relevant.

what are everyone's thoughts on this?

EDIT:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH 10C/PJ/ED/BRUCE FOR COMING THRU AND MAKING THIS AVAILABLE! :)

you can download it here:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/my-cit ... d352067330

IT IS BEAUTIFUL

COME ON RISE UP
  • zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    great stuff for all involved here - and big smiles to clockistotime for the original idea post ..... you have every right to feel proud about this 8-)
    impatience is a gift ........
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    did someone say christmas single?
  • llovellove Posts: 106
    I think this needs to be on the PJ home page to generate more purchases/donations.
    makes much more sense, to live in the present tense
  • llove wrote:
    I think this needs to be on the PJ home page to generate more purchases/donations.

i agree. in due time it will be ;)

can't say it enough, but how 'bout a round of applause for the 10c for coming thru once again in a time of need!
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    edited January 2010
    I didn't know hati was a city and its a horrible cover at best. I can't believe bruce let this go on. This song was meant for the people of nyc after 9-11, not some 3rd world country that had an earthquake.

Meh

Btw- very cool the op's idea came through. All for a good cause.
    Post edited by Gary Carter on
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Now, that's a little too harsh :)
    The original purpose of the song might have been 9/11 which is great but I don't think there is harm in using it for another cause. That earthquake did ruin a lot of lives in Haiti. I think the frontman did a decent enough job too.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    Sorry if I came across a bit harsh. I don't mean to offend. I just hold the song more personally then most people on here do. We will agree to disagree on ed doing a good job of the song. :)

• SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Fair enough :)
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
    Cool :)

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    Metsfan - I can only think you are deaf

and from the vid it looked like Bruce rather enjoyed it too

There's always one
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,140
    metsfan wrote:
    I didn't know hati was a city and its a horrible cover at best. I can't believe bruce let this go on. This song was meant for the people of nyc after 9-11, not some 3rd world country that had an earthquake.

Meh

I can understand how strong the association is with NYC but I think originally it was written for Asbury Park (I thought anyhow). In Europe last year he dedicated it to the victims of an earthquake in Italy, so he recognised that it is a song which can be used to represent/for many situations.
    It's a beautiful song, which ever association you have to it.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Metsfan - I can only think you are deaf

and from the vid it looked like Bruce rather enjoyed it too

There's always one
    Sorry I didn't know I was supposed to like everything ed does. Where do I hand in my 10c card. Different strokes for different folks. thanks for saying I'm deaf, very childish of you. I wouldn't expect anything less from pj fans. I don't care what bruce does. Maybe bruce was crying cause its an emotional song bout a city he grew up in the shadows of.Did you ever think of that. He chokes up a bit everytime he plays my city of ruins at his concerts. Bet you didn't know that.

metsfan wrote:

Meh

ok, the issue of whether Ed did a good job or not your post here is just idiotic beyond belief

you can't believe Bruce let one of his friends recordings of one of his songs be used for a good cause? Really? You struggle with that?

Haiti a city? How the hell does that matter? The song wasn't even sung for Haiti, but someone here thought it was fitting to use for this cause? Town city country? Whatever - it's in ruins, and desperately needs help

you differentiate that Bruce wrote the song for new York - again like it matters, and then simply add ' not for a third world' country after an earthquake. Does the third world bit mean these people don't deserve the song or these people don't deserve help? The cause of the tradegy is hardly important. Let's not forget the 9/11
    disaster was a dreadful act that killed around 10,000 - a huge number whatever it was , this thing killed perhaps 200,000 and not only that left millions on millions homeless. Because the country is perhaps third world in it's wealth only means the task to repair is even more so than the new York attack.

I'm sorry I just found your post a little ignorant - like the poor people were not worthy of a great Bruce song, only the 9/11 people. Like you were dismissive of such a ' third world' cause

as for Bruce, i wouldn't judge so quickly of what I know, ive seen bruce a great many times, with the e street crew, solo and with the Seeger band.,,,, I love bruce and really I think he'd be proud to his song used, certainly he wouldn't be offended that his original intent in it was being wasted on the poor third worlders
    pdalowsky wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

Meh

ok, the issue of whether Ed did a good job or not your post here is just idiotic beyond belief

you can't believe Bruce let one of his friends recordings of one of his songs be used for a good cause? Really? You struggle with that?

Haiti a city? How the hell does that matter? The song wasn't even sung for Haiti, but someone here thought it was fitting to use for this cause? Town city country? Whatever - it's in ruins, and desperately needs help

you differentiate that Bruce wrote the song for new York - again like it matters, and then simply add ' not for a third world' country after an earthquake. Does the third world bit mean these people don't deserve the song or these people don't deserve help? The cause of the tradegy is hardly important. Let's not forget the 9/11
    disaster was a dreadful act that killed around 10,000 - a huge number whatever it was , this thing killed perhaps 200,000 and not only that left millions on millions homeless. Because the country is perhaps third world in it's wealth only means the task to repair is even more so than the new York attack.

I'm sorry I just found your post a little ignorant - like the poor people were not worthy of a great Bruce song, only the 9/11 people. Like you were dismissive of such a ' third world' cause

as for Bruce, i wouldn't judge so quickly of what I know, ive seen bruce a great many times, with the e street crew, solo and with the Seeger band.,,,, I love bruce and really I think he'd be proud to his song used, certainly he wouldn't be offended that his original intent in it was being wasted on the poor third worlders

Its not bout the country its the song choosing. I just don't like it being used for hati. Sorry for being different. I am who I am. Like it or not. I don't give a fuck.

Yea and me donating 300 bucks is hardly being dismissive. But yea go ahead and judge. How much money of your paycheck have you donated or how much food have you sent.

Whatever,

I give to charity because I want to, not to post on the Internet as a pissing contest.

Yours was a dumb post, deal with it
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Whatever,

I give to charity because I want to, not to post on the Internet as a pissing contest.

I donate to charity every damn week. Not cause I wanna brag but cause I care bout people

Your the one that made this into a pissing match so you got what you wanted

Thanks for calling my post dumb. I'm sure the mods would be happy to handle the situation.

It is what it is

but I'll leave it at that.
  • Let your local radio station know...spread the word.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Great idea, and kudos to 10C/Eddie/Bruce, whoever made it happen.
    This forum, this club, it IS a special (virtual) place 8-)

I'll spread the word :)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Great idea, and kudos to 10C/Eddie/Bruce, whoever made it happen.
    This forum, this club, it IS a special (virtual) place 8-)

I'll spread the word :)

thank you!
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Just bought and listened.

Pure.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    This is awesome, Congratulations to the OP for coming up with the idea!!

I am just a wee bit sad though, that EV didn't take the initiative and do this without having being led to it. He used to be so big-picture oriented, but seems like he needs that push nowadays...
  • JM55546JM55546 Posts: 133
    This song was meant for the people of nyc after 9-11, not some 3rd world country that had an earthquake.

It was actually written in 2000 so it would be pretty hard for it to be "meant for the people of nyc after 9-11". It took on a lot of significance but it wasn't meant for them.
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    Whatever,

LOL
    I feel like im back in Junior High!

I like the song btw and good cause.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    Jeanwah wrote:
    This is awesome, Congratulations to the OP for coming up with the idea!!

:)
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    AWESOME!! :clap:

So happy this happened!

Good Job clubbers and 10C! Proud to be here among such wonderful folks. :thumbup:

Too bad some ppl have to be debbie downers cough ...gag..cough..mets..cough...fan...ugghhhhhh....

but it's a through and through great thing!

And a fantastic cover...no matter what anyone says.

I adore it! Well, any of you that know me, know that if Ed sang it, I adore it...but I thought I'd just ad my opinion anyway.

Love to you all <3 :wave:
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • PJ-CubsPJ-Cubs Posts: 3,316
    I don't think you can say for certain that EV didn't take the initiative on this one. Maybe they have been working on this for a week and half - working with lawyers, getting permission from Bruce to release the song, editing the recording, etc. Maybe they got the idea for the boards and acted on it. We will never know for sure.

The most important thing is that the song is available for people to buy so that money can be raised to help the people of Haiti.
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    can we say it's safe to say that this is gonna be one of the tracks on the holiday single?