Ed should release My City of Ruins; all proceeds go to Haiti

Comments

• I think this is a great idea! I'd buy :)

I'm guessing, though, that The Kennedy Center owns rights to the entire show, right? But maybe 10c could work something out. Or maybe he could just re-record it with Bruce's permission?
  • on2legs wrote:
    Nice idea, but I can't see a major artist like Bruce signing off on it unless he's the one doing the singing.

you never know though... maybe if Ed asks nicely?
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    in the dark before the dawn..."
    "i am a donut"
  • I think this is a great idea! I'd buy :)

I'm guessing, though, that The Kennedy Center owns rights to the entire show, right? But maybe 10c could work something out. Or maybe he could just re-record it with Bruce's permission?

thanks michelle822!

that's what i meant/wrote. like a completely new studio take on the song. he actually skips an entire verse and chorus on the Kennedy Center Honors show. not sure why, maybe they had to shorten it for tv purposes. even if they release it ala 'speed of sound' free demo or 'man of the hour' (demo version on single) style...
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • on2legs wrote:
    Nice idea, but I can't see a major artist like Bruce signing off on it unless he's the one doing the singing.

I don't think that is true. I think Bruce would sign off on this.
  • Bump for the great idea!

And if the band wanted to play an acoustic fundraiser show at the Showbox with AIC, FTM, and a special appearance from Bruce that would work too. I'm just sayin'...
  • Bump for the great idea!

And if the band wanted to play an acoustic fundraiser show at the Showbox with AIC, FTM, and a special appearance from Bruce that would work too. I'm just sayin'...

STONEd and dAMENT-ED, you have come up with a great plan.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    on2legs wrote:

I don't think that is true. I think Bruce would sign off on this.

I think this is a great idea - I'd certainly buy it.
    and I also think Bruce would sign off on it
  • peacegirl wrote:

I think this is a great idea - I'd certainly buy it.
    and I also think Bruce would sign off on it

thanks peacegirl! let's keep this thread on top so more people see it...
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • I would ABSOLUTELY buy this but if it doesn't get released and someone has the audio and would be kind enough to email to me I'd be forever greatful!
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• fantastic ideas. all of them.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I think it would be a cool idea.

Bruce did play this song for the 9/11 tribute though. Would it be a good idea to use the song again? i don't know
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    Bump for the great idea!

Why a small venue like Showbox? Is that because you wanna take advantage of someone else's disaster by seeing your favorite band at an intimate venue? Why not play a proper concert venue? Wouldn't the main purpose of doing something like this be making the most amount of money for Haiti? I mean even if you think that deep inside, just try to hide it a little better. I know I sound harsh (maybe because I'm having a shitty day at work) but come on!
    Still think the single with that song is a great idea.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • SOLAT319 wrote:
    Bump for the great idea!

Why a small venue like Showbox? Is that because you wanna take advantage of someone else's disaster by seeing your favorite band at an intimate venue? Why not play a proper concert venue? Wouldn't the main purpose of doing something like this be making the most amount of money for Haiti? I mean even if you think that deep inside, just try to hide it a little better. I know I sound harsh (maybe because I'm having a shitty day at work) but come on!

you raise a good point here Solat319, may i offer a compromise? haha

it may be hard to acquire a large venue at short notice, let alone sell it out (i know, pearl jam definitely could), but having it at the Showbox could be a great idea. it's small, intimate and close to home and we all know the boys are good friends with everyone there. the only thing, in order to cover the 'cost' factor of say what you could help raise by playing in a bigger venue say Key Arena (is that even around still?), is to raise the value of the tickets to say $200 a ticket. now i know we don't like high ticket prices, but it is for a good cause afterall.

either way, thanks for the support for the digital single release ;)
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • why did i use the word 'say' so much in that last post? hahaha, sorry about that :)
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    This is a great idea.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • This is a great idea, you can count me in, I would totally buy it ;)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • SOLAT319 wrote:
    I know I sound harsh (maybe because I'm having a shitty day at work) but come on!

hope your day gets better! :)
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • This is a great idea, you can count me in, I would totally buy it ;)

thanks cippociappo and keeponrockin! tell your friends ;)
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • SOLAT319 wrote:
    Bump for the great idea!

Definitely NOT trying to take advantage of someone else's disaster. I'm sure there are many that could speak to my character as better than that.
    Honestly, it could be in Seattle or overseas. Large venue or small. My suggestion for the Showbox may not be an ideal venue but was suggested as a venue where the band has a great relationship and is local to the band, helping expedite relief while minimizing costs. You could do the Key Arena but the capacity is about 17,000 and you could never get that deal done quickly. While the Showbox is about 1100 capacity, Benny Hall is about 2500.
    At the end of the day, it's the band's decision anyway. I apologize if you took my suggestion the wrong way. I was just hoping to add to the good idea that was started in this thread. I hope your day at work gets better. Thanks.
  • Definitely NOT trying to take advantage of someone else's disaster. I'm sure there are many that could speak to my character as better than that.
    Honestly, it could be in Seattle or overseas. Large venue or small. My suggestion for the Showbox may not be an ideal venue but was suggested as a venue where the band has a great relationship and is local to the band, helping expedite relief while minimizing costs. You could do the Key Arena but the capacity is about 17,000 and you could never get that deal done quickly. While the Showbox is about 1100 capacity, Benny Hall is about 2500.
    At the end of the day, it's the band's decision anyway. I apologize if you took my suggestion the wrong way. I was just hoping to add to the good idea that was started in this thread. I hope your day at work gets better. Thanks.

it's all good Stone'd, i know what you meant. did you read my compromise to you and Solats' suggestion on the previous page? i think we're on the same page.
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • disco. I'd buy for sure! And Bruce seems like a good guy...surely he'd let Ed sing it!! It's for a good cause!
    "I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me. Guaranteed."
    KC, MO 7.3.98
    OKC 4.3.03
    KC, MO 5/2010
    EV- Memphis 6.20.09
    EV- Tulsa 11.18.12
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    just an idea, but one way for the band and maybe all of us to help contribute to the relief effort in Haiti could be if Ed (or the whole band) digitally release a (studio) version of Bruce Springsteen's song 'My City of Ruins' and donate all proceeds to the relief effort?

here's his live version from the Kennedy Center Honors:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aelR842p_78

i think it's a very fitting song, and Ed's voice really soars on this song. it's a beautiful song and the content is very relevant.

what are everyone's thoughts on this?

An mp3/flac download of My City of Ruins.
    And all proceeds going to Haiti?

thumbsup.gif
  • bump to keep this on page one.
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    I think this is an awesome idea. I'd like to add that people can choose to pay how much they want for the song. Maybe a minimum of $1, but you can pay up to $1,000 if you want to donate that much.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • thefin190 wrote:
    I think this is an awesome idea. I'd like to add that people can choose to pay how much they want for the song. Maybe a minimum of $1, but you can pay up to $1,000 if you want to donate that much.

that's a great idea thefin190!

what say you 10c?
    a beacon on dry land
    eyes above the horizon
    "i am a donut"
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Great idea!
    I think Bruce would support it.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    PJSEMPRE wrote:
    Great idea!
    I think Bruce would support it.

Well let's get the fan mail going!

I am relatively new in the 10 club, so I was wondering if anyone in the band or anyone close to the band (managers, assistants, etc.) read the boards regularly? I think Ed would love the idea if he saw it.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    Just sell it on itunes/pearljam.com all proceeds go to help the cause.. I also like the idea of having the option to donate as little or as much as you would like... There's alot of generous pearl jam fans out there so i think this could really make a difference.

So who ever stands on the grapevine, make sure the ved sees or hears about this please :D
  • BUMP :clap::clap::clap::clap: :thumbup: :wave:
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    Love the idea totally. I also wished Ed had sung The Rising (although Sting did well too, I just prefer Ed). So maybe it could be both songs for a bonus and raise double the dough?
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.