Leno going back to Tonight Show

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,818
    I wonder if all this drama will help with the ratings.
    I miss igotid88
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    So east coasters, was Conan on tonight? Was it a new show if he was?
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    norm wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Letterman has a good joke tonight on his show about NBC not having a 10pm drama. They showed a preview for a new show called Law & Order: Leno Victims Unit

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show ... 4qa2nmxtzt

:lol::lol::lol:

Hahahahahahahaha! :D
    aNiMaL wrote:
    So east coasters, was Conan on tonight? Was it a new show if he was?

yea. funny show. and because it's real is even more funny.
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    igotid88 wrote:

i was thinking the same thing last night. i know i tuned into both shows for a little bit just to see what they would say. and i rarely watch these programs much anymore.

i bet it will help in the short term. but if they decide to let conan keep the 11:30 gig, i dont see it lasting too long. can only help though, i would think.
    www.myspace.com
    igotid88 wrote:

i was thinking the same thing last night. i know i tuned into both shows for a little bit just to see what they would say. and i rarely watch these programs much anymore.

i bet it will help in the short term. but if they decide to let conan keep the 11:30 gig, i dont see it lasting too long. can only help though, i would think.

I don't think he did much better.
    I miss igotid88
  • funniest conan ever! i love how bitter he is! :lol::lol::lol:

hope everyones watching

kindof surprised NBC's even airing it... guess they have as little to lose as conan... if you consider $45 mil little...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    funniest conan ever! i love how bitter he is! :lol::lol::lol:

hope everyones watching

kindof surprised NBC's even airing it... guess they have as little to lose as conan... if you consider $45 mil little...

its a win-win for nbc. they don't care if he blasts them as long as it improves ratings, which this drama surely will in the short term.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    caught both Conan and letterman last night.

Conan still sucks. he talks about himself way too much during interviews. his only good bit last night was the look back at the history of the tonight show.

Letterman once again owned him.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    "kids you can do anything you want in life. unless jay leno wants to do it." -- conan o'brien
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Hitler learns Leno is heading back to Late Night:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOQvsuJ5wIA
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    edited January 2010
    CJMST3K wrote:

:roll:
    the hitler thing's a bit played out...
    www.myspace.com
    jeff zucker is one of the biggest asshats ever

ZUCKER THREATENS TO ICE CONAN!

BREAKING NEWS! EXCLUSIVE! 2ND UPDATE: NBC Universal, faced with Conan O'Brien's defiance, is taking what insiders tell me is "a super tough threatening position" over his refusal to host The Tonight Show at 12:05 AM instead of 11:35 PM. "Someone's got to show NBCU that big greedy corporate dickheads can't win," one of Conan's manager-agent-lawyer-public relations "Team Conan" representatives told me. And while Jeff Zucker has not stepped up and taken responsibility for this mess he set in in motion in the first place -- by replacing Leno with Conan O'Brien as host of The Tonight Show even though Jay was No. 1 in his time slot at the time -- he's been busy behind the scenes. I've already reported how Zucker has been privately blaming Conan for the current debacle, saying "He let me down" because The Tonight Show for the last 7 months since O'Brien took over has been losing out to David Letterman in both eyeballs and advertiser-coveted demographics. (Bullshit, Zucker, you can't keep blaming others for your Zuck-ups.) Bad enough that Zucker made Conan hear about the planned move in the first place from the media.

But now the NBCU chief has been talking tough during the negotiations with Team Conan. To counter O'Brien's principled public statement which the late night host issued this week, Zucker "is threatening to ice Conan", according to his reps. "Zucker said, 'I'll keep you off the air for 3 1/2 years.' Which doesn't have a chance in hell of happening. What I really think Zucker wants is to hold him off the market for at least six months to a year until the dust settles and Leno is secure and Conan is squelched." One rep even compared Zucker to "Darth Vader" because the NBCU chief "has been so evil" about this.

According to NBC's stated plans, The Jay Leno Show would leaves its unsuccessful primetime 10 PM time slot on February 12th, and then move to 11:35 PM after NBC finishes broadcasting the Vancouver Winter Olympics on February 28th. That's when The Jay Leno Show arrives in late night, and Conan's show pushes back by 1/2 an hour. To NBC's way of thinking, it can kill two birds with one stone: it won't have to pay Jay that hefty $80 million penalty for taking The Jay Leno Show off the air because the program has "merely" moved timeslots. And it won't have to pay Conan that fat $60 million penalty for removing him from The Tonight Show because that program, too, has "merely" moved timeslots. But, as David Letterman so succinctly put it this week, "At 12:05 AM, that's not The Tonight Show, that's The Tomorrow Show! As I've written previously, the Pottery Barn rule is applicable here: "You break it, you buy it." It could and it should cost NBC.

But I've learned O'Brien's reps now believe that Zucker wants to jettison Conan altogether and put Jay back at The Tonight Show at its usual starting time. So, to prevent O'Brien competing at NBC or elsewhere with Leno's attempt to lure back his late night audience, NBCU's Zucker has come up with this plot to "ice" Conan for the length of his NBC Tonight Show contract. It's dastardly, it's cowardly, and it could be damn effective. But there's no way Team Conan says they're going to let that happen. Bad enough NBCU horribly humiliated Conan and, as he so rightly pointed out in his statement, will damage The Tonight Show by moving it down a half-hour. With the 12:05 AM start, its ratings will never recover. After NBC made that decision, the phones at his WME agency rang off the hook with calls from every network, cable, and pay channel looking to hire O'Brien. And there's every reason for him to flee. But, if Conan exits voluntarily or involuntarily, it will take at least a year before a new show is readied and on the air. He risks losing his fan base during that time. And he'll be forever tagged by the failure. So now it's open warfare between NBC and O'Brien's reps.

Zucker's hardline stance became evident during that 1:45 PM Tuesday meeting at NBC Universal this week shortly after Conan issued his statement of defiance. On one side of the room were NBCU bigwigs Jeff Gaspin and Marc Graboff. On the other were O'Brien's reps: manager Gavin Palone, WME agent and board member Rick Rosen, and the newest member of Team O'Brien, Hollywood litigator Patty Glaser, who was hired last Sunday and is WME's legal shark of choice. Not attending were Zucker (hiding back in NYC), or WME boss Ari Emanuel (leading the WME retreat in Rancho Mirage). One of Hollywood's toughest negotiators and the model for Entourage agent Ari Gold played by Jeremy Piven, Ari. Even so, Gavin can be as mean as a rabid dog, Rick's agency reps 60% of the TV talent, and Glaser is a pitbull. For them, this kind of mano-a-mano negotiation is bloodsport. But even they were shocked by Zucker's scheming.

"Patty came in and said, 'You can't do this.' They claim they can legally, but everyone knows it's ambiguous. The contract is not clearly expressed and they are misinterpreting it," one of my sources related. "So everything now is at a standstill. There's been a proposal, and a counter-proposal. This will end up in front of a judge if someone [at NBCU] doesn't wise up."

I'd learned both NBCU chief Jeff Zucker as well as Gaspin were told about Conan's statement publicly promising to protect the integrity of The Tonight Show he'd inherited. It made Zucker furious. O'Brien's reps didn't want O'Brien to speak out. "They were not thrilled. They told him it would undercut his negotiating leverage," one source revealed to me. "But Conan wouldn't listen to them. He wanted to make it." And yet, because of the controversy, O'Brien's Tonight Show ratings have risen. While Leno hasn't received a similar bump, Conan's number went up to 1.9 in the overnights. Certainly, that has to give NBC pause, right? Apparently not. Sources tell me there's only "the slightest of chances" that Zucker will relent and keep O'Brien and The Tonight Show intact at 11:35 PM. As for Conan, if he's released, he wants to ensure his executive producer Jeff Ross and other staff who moved out from New York to Los Angeles "are taken care of". As for himself, "he's not thinking about strategy. He's saying, "I just want enough money to feed my family.'"

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/jeff- ... um=twitter
    CJMST3K wrote:

so are your negative comments...
    CJMST3K wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

just being honest. sheesh.
    want proof?
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... =23&page=1

that's a lotta hitler parodies....
    www.myspace.com
    norm wrote:
    jeff zucker is one of the biggest asshats ever

ZUCKER THREATENS TO ICE CONAN!

BREAKING NEWS! EXCLUSIVE! 2ND UPDATE: NBC Universal, faced with Conan O'Brien's defiance, is taking what insiders tell me is "a super tough threatening position" over his refusal to host The Tonight Show at 12:05 AM instead of 11:35 PM. "Someone's got to show NBCU that big greedy corporate dickheads can't win," one of Conan's manager-agent-lawyer-public relations "Team Conan" representatives told me. And while Jeff Zucker has not stepped up and taken responsibility for this mess he set in in motion in the first place -- by replacing Leno with Conan O'Brien as host of The Tonight Show even though Jay was No. 1 in his time slot at the time -- he's been busy behind the scenes. I've already reported how Zucker has been privately blaming Conan for the current debacle, saying "He let me down" because The Tonight Show for the last 7 months since O'Brien took over has been losing out to David Letterman in both eyeballs and advertiser-coveted demographics. (Bullshit, Zucker, you can't keep blaming others for your Zuck-ups.) Bad enough that Zucker made Conan hear about the planned move in the first place from the media.

But now the NBCU chief has been talking tough during the negotiations with Team Conan. To counter O'Brien's principled public statement which the late night host issued this week, Zucker "is threatening to ice Conan", according to his reps. "Zucker said, 'I'll keep you off the air for 3 1/2 years.' Which doesn't have a chance in hell of happening. What I really think Zucker wants is to hold him off the market for at least six months to a year until the dust settles and Leno is secure and Conan is squelched." One rep even compared Zucker to "Darth Vader" because the NBCU chief "has been so evil" about this.

According to NBC's stated plans, The Jay Leno Show would leaves its unsuccessful primetime 10 PM time slot on February 12th, and then move to 11:35 PM after NBC finishes broadcasting the Vancouver Winter Olympics on February 28th. That's when The Jay Leno Show arrives in late night, and Conan's show pushes back by 1/2 an hour. To NBC's way of thinking, it can kill two birds with one stone: it won't have to pay Jay that hefty $80 million penalty for taking The Jay Leno Show off the air because the program has "merely" moved timeslots. And it won't have to pay Conan that fat $60 million penalty for removing him from The Tonight Show because that program, too, has "merely" moved timeslots. But, as David Letterman so succinctly put it this week, "At 12:05 AM, that's not The Tonight Show, that's The Tomorrow Show! As I've written previously, the Pottery Barn rule is applicable here: "You break it, you buy it." It could and it should cost NBC.

But I've learned O'Brien's reps now believe that Zucker wants to jettison Conan altogether and put Jay back at The Tonight Show at its usual starting time. So, to prevent O'Brien competing at NBC or elsewhere with Leno's attempt to lure back his late night audience, NBCU's Zucker has come up with this plot to "ice" Conan for the length of his NBC Tonight Show contract. It's dastardly, it's cowardly, and it could be damn effective. But there's no way Team Conan says they're going to let that happen. Bad enough NBCU horribly humiliated Conan and, as he so rightly pointed out in his statement, will damage The Tonight Show by moving it down a half-hour. With the 12:05 AM start, its ratings will never recover. After NBC made that decision, the phones at his WME agency rang off the hook with calls from every network, cable, and pay channel looking to hire O'Brien. And there's every reason for him to flee. But, if Conan exits voluntarily or involuntarily, it will take at least a year before a new show is readied and on the air. He risks losing his fan base during that time. And he'll be forever tagged by the failure. So now it's open warfare between NBC and O'Brien's reps.

Zucker's hardline stance became evident during that 1:45 PM Tuesday meeting at NBC Universal this week shortly after Conan issued his statement of defiance. On one side of the room were NBCU bigwigs Jeff Gaspin and Marc Graboff. On the other were O'Brien's reps: manager Gavin Palone, WME agent and board member Rick Rosen, and the newest member of Team O'Brien, Hollywood litigator Patty Glaser, who was hired last Sunday and is WME's legal shark of choice. Not attending were Zucker (hiding back in NYC), or WME boss Ari Emanuel (leading the WME retreat in Rancho Mirage). One of Hollywood's toughest negotiators and the model for Entourage agent Ari Gold played by Jeremy Piven, Ari. Even so, Gavin can be as mean as a rabid dog, Rick's agency reps 60% of the TV talent, and Glaser is a pitbull. For them, this kind of mano-a-mano negotiation is bloodsport. But even they were shocked by Zucker's scheming.

"Patty came in and said, 'You can't do this.' They claim they can legally, but everyone knows it's ambiguous. The contract is not clearly expressed and they are misinterpreting it," one of my sources related. "So everything now is at a standstill. There's been a proposal, and a counter-proposal. This will end up in front of a judge if someone [at NBCU] doesn't wise up."

I'd learned both NBCU chief Jeff Zucker as well as Gaspin were told about Conan's statement publicly promising to protect the integrity of The Tonight Show he'd inherited. It made Zucker furious. O'Brien's reps didn't want O'Brien to speak out. "They were not thrilled. They told him it would undercut his negotiating leverage," one source revealed to me. "But Conan wouldn't listen to them. He wanted to make it." And yet, because of the controversy, O'Brien's Tonight Show ratings have risen. While Leno hasn't received a similar bump, Conan's number went up to 1.9 in the overnights. Certainly, that has to give NBC pause, right? Apparently not. Sources tell me there's only "the slightest of chances" that Zucker will relent and keep O'Brien and The Tonight Show intact at 11:35 PM. As for Conan, if he's released, he wants to ensure his executive producer Jeff Ross and other staff who moved out from New York to Los Angeles "are taken care of". As for himself, "he's not thinking about strategy. He's saying, "I just want enough money to feed my family.'"

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/jeff- ... um=twitter
    this whole thing is pretty crazy
    www.myspace.com
    CJMST3K wrote:

want proof?

I'm just being funny. sheesh.

I wouldn't have taken The Jeagler to be the sensitive type. :P

:lol:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    this stuff is better than most reality shows.

it's pretty zucked up. at least we will have an interesting month of late night comedy :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I wonder why they don't have The Tonight Show moved to 10pm and The Jay Leno Show moved to 11pm.

Not that Conan would like that, but that way "The Tonight Show" is still in the evening, and they also put Leno back in the spot where they want him.

Seems like an easy swap...
    CJMST3K wrote:
    CJMST3K wrote:

want proof?

:

fail.
    www.myspace.com
    CJMST3K wrote:

want proof?

:P :

fail.

the intention was not to make YOU laugh.

:lol::lol::lol:
    CJMST3K wrote:
    I wonder why they don't have The Tonight Show moved to 10pm and The Jay Leno Show moved to 11pm.

Not that Conan would like that, but that way "The Tonight Show" is still in the evening, and they also put Leno back in the spot where they want him.

Seems like an easy swap...

the 5 nights a week talk show in primetime will not work these days...evidenced by leno's shitty ratings at 10

nbc is trying to fix their mistake of pushing leno out without it costing them upwards of $100 million (if the figures in the article i posted above are correct)
  • i still am confused about one thing. were leno and conan ever pals and friendly, or was it all an act? When jay had conan on his show years ago to announce that conan was going to be taking over for jay, they seemed like they were pals, and I think they did that again a few months before jay left to do his show at 10. Conan seemed to have high praise for jay, if I remember correctly tearing up when he mentioned how supportive jay was through the years.

Well which is it? Cause it seems to me the way the 2 have been acting since this whole mess began, suggests these guys arent friends. Friends dont act they way these 2 have been acting.

If anything, i like the current situation only because it may be the real relationship between conan and jay. Why put on heirs? Why act cordial when you hate one another? Why fake it? I'd rather see the truth than be lied to. Dont smile and shake hands for the audience and then secretly hate one another. Keep it consistent
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    I don't think Leno will get the same ratings he was getting if he goes back to late night. Too much bad blood.

Wow. This could be the biggest debauchle in television history. I regret I forgot to watch Conan last night. This is making for some good TV.

Conan's right - you can't move the Tonight Show to 12:05. But I have to admit, if Conan came on at 12:05 it would work better for me, personally. Because Colbert's on at 11:30, and he's funnier. I would never miss him for Conan unless the show's a repeat. Daily Show > Colbert Report > (all of) Conan would be a great late night TV schedule for me.
  • and although i am team conan, if that quote that conan had previous about his family is correct, that is ridiculous. "I just want to be able to feed my family". Wow. The guy is a millionaire, makes 20 million plus a year, whatever the guy does, he is gonna be making cash hand over fist. Its sad this seems to have become about money. When famous/rich people whine about making more money, and wanting to make more money, or not being paid enough, it always rubs me the wrong way. I mean, conan never has to work a day in his life, realistically, yet, he makes this into a money issue? Is ANYONE, whether NBC/FOX/ABC whatever gonna pay him 30,000 a year like working stiffs? Whats the difference realistically between 20 million a year and 5 million a year? Especially for someone like conan?
    i still am confused about one thing. were leno and conan ever pals and friendly, or was it all an act? When jay had conan on his show years ago to announce that conan was going to be taking over for jay, they seemed like they were pals, and I think they did that again a few months before jay left to do his show at 10. Conan seemed to have high praise for jay, if I remember correctly tearing up when he mentioned how supportive jay was through the years.

Well which is it? Cause it seems to me the way the 2 have been acting since this whole mess began, suggests these guys arent friends. Friends dont act they way these 2 have been acting.

If anything, i like the current situation only because it may be the real relationship between conan and jay. Why put on heirs? Why act cordial when you hate one another? Why fake it? I'd rather see the truth than be lied to. Dont smile and shake hands for the audience and then secretly hate one another. Keep it consistent

Well, I believe Conan did have a lot of respect for Jay. Not to say they were truly "friends" but I think that mutual respect was there for both guys. That said, I also think Conan had his toes stepped on by Leno for the last time.
    1) Giving Conan the Tonight Show only to have Leno decide that he wants the spotlight still. He negotiated with NBC to give him "Tonight Show Lite" directly in front of the real Tonight Show. In all reality the baton was never really passed like we (and Conan) thought it would be.
    2) Because "Tonight Show Lite" failed and because Leno had no problems bumping Conan...once again, Conan was the odd man out.

To me (and probably Conan), it seems like Jay is being incredibly selfish so it's easy to see how Conan might get a little pissed off at the whole situation.
    He has more than reason to be pissed off at Leno, and NBC.

*And yeah, I can see it from the corporate standpoint. NBC screwed up and they are trying to fix it. The best way and cheapest way to do it is what they proposed. They can't ax Leno because it will cost them a fortune. They can't axe Conan (or so they thought at first) because it would have cost them a fortune. Also by their plan, the numbers should go up and advertising dollars should increase.
    Since Conan has been defiant of the whole thing, they may be thinking "A $60 million lost (Conan) is tough, but at least it's not $80 million (Leno).

The whole thing is f'ed up and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

"Team Conan" supporter!!!
    and although i am team conan, if that quote that conan had previous about his family is correct, that is ridiculous. "I just want to be able to feed my family". Wow. The guy is a millionaire, makes 20 million plus a year, whatever the guy does, he is gonna be making cash hand over fist. Its sad this seems to have become about money. When famous/rich people whine about making more money, and wanting to make more money, or not being paid enough, it always rubs me the wrong way. I mean, conan never has to work a day in his life, realistically, yet, he makes this into a money issue? Is ANYONE, whether NBC/FOX/ABC whatever gonna pay him 30,000 a year like working stiffs? Whats the difference realistically between 20 million a year and 5 million a year? Especially for someone like conan?

While money always plays a part, I don't think Conan is concerned about the bottom line. I think he's pissed that he's been shown no respect from either Leno or NBC.
    He comment was in part not about him but his cast/team. It's been known that over the years Conan has been fantastic to his team. On many occasions he's paid out of pocket to keep people on the show for years despite their contracts being up with NBC. He dragged everyone across the country with him, and now that his show may be on the brink of cancellation, I think he feels bad and it would not surprise me if he still supported his team despite them no longer having a show.
    i still am confused about one thing. were leno and conan ever pals and friendly, or was it all an act? When jay had conan on his show years ago to announce that conan was going to be taking over for jay, they seemed like they were pals, and I think they did that again a few months before jay left to do his show at 10. Conan seemed to have high praise for jay, if I remember correctly tearing up when he mentioned how supportive jay was through the years.

Leno and Letterman friendly also. Until Jay screwed him over.
    I miss igotid88
  • funniest conan ever! i love how bitter he is! :lol::lol::lol:

It was hilarious!

And you couldn't have asked for a better guest to play off of that than Ricky Gervais!

:lol:
    CONAN IS OUT!

Leno and NBC Strike 1 Hour 'Tonight' Deal

Posted Jan 14th 2010 3:43PM by TMZ Staff

Jay Leno has made a new deal with NBC, which gives him "The Tonight Show" from 11:35 - 12:35 ... sources tell TMZ.

As we first reported, under the contract Jay had been working under, he was guaranteed the 10 PM hour. By moving him to 11:35, NBC was in breach of his contract and needed to negotiate a new deal. That is now done, sources tell TMZ.

So Conan O'Brien is out, and Jay is restored.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/14/jay-leno- ... z0ccnRg83F