Leno going back to Tonight Show

Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Jay Leno is heading back to his 11:35 time slot, Access Hollywood confirms. And not only will he be leaving his current 10 p.m. time slot, but he will also be cutting the show's running time in half -- from one hour to 30 minutes.

Yet, the switch still leaves a lot of unanswered questions about the new NBC lineup. Does this mean Leno will now have time only for an opening monologue and no guests? And what about Conan O'Brien, who's currently airing at 11:35?

One report by TMZ.com states that Conan has been given an ultimatum by NBC executives: Move to the midnight to 1 a.m. time slot, or leave the network. The site reports that Conan has not decided what he wants to do, but that he and his people are considering the offer.

More: Fox interested in O'Brien?

Despite all the switch-ups going on at NBC, the network wasted no time yesterday releasing statements supporting both Leno and O'Brien:

NBC's statement on Leno:
"Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today. As we have said all along, Jay's how has performed exactly as we anticipated on the network. It has, however, presented some issues for our affiliates. Both Jay and the show are committed to working closely with them to find ways to improve the performance."

NBC's statement on Conan:
"We have the best comedy team in the business. We remain committed to keeping Conan O'Brien on NBC. He is a valued part of our late-night line-up, as he has been for more than 16 years and is one of the most respected entertainers on television."

Access also notes that Jay Leno will take over the 11:35 time slot after the show's hiatus during the Winter Olympics. Only time will tell if Conan will be joining him.
I'll be back
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    conan just addressed the rumors but he didnt say if any where true or not.??
    I'll be back
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    This was being discussed on radio this morning and were reporting that he slipped into 3rd place behind The Late Show and Night Line and was also down 2 million viewers from Leno. I don't know where they got their info.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    fuck leno
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    That's messed up shit there. I love Conan! He's a funny mother effer!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Supposedly if this happens NBC has to pay Conan 45 million.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    Was Leno ever funny?
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I wondered about that.........I mean shit, there had to be some sort of contract. They moved him to the west coast.........there is a lot going on here. Leno can suck it...ugh.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    i watch letterman most of the time. if conan goes back to his old time i will get to watch him also. i dont like andy, conan needs to get rid of him.
    I'll be back
    Enkidu wrote:
    Was Leno ever funny?

yeah i think he was back in the 70's and 80's...when he would guest on the late show he and dave were hilarious together

turns out he was, and is, a big douchebag
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,817

I think that was when Leno was still at 11:35 and if he decided he didn't want to leave. But since he left the time slot. I don't know if that's still the case.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:

I think that was when Leno was still at 11:35 and if he decided he didn't want to leave. But since he left the time slot. I don't know if that's still the case.

if conan show does not start before 12:05am conan gets $45 million
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    norm wrote:
    Enkidu wrote:
    Was Leno ever funny?

yeah i think he was back in the 70's and 80's...when he would guest on the late show he and dave were hilarious together

turns out he was, and is, a big douchebag

Yes, I have heard tales of his douchebag-ness.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,414
    i can't stand Leno....
    i had a feeling this was gonna happen...
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    This really sucks for Conan. Not even one year into the show and he's getting screwed over. Why can't Leno just retire?
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    "Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today.
    did jay write that? lol

it's all about conan, that is so messed up he's getting played like that. jay was funny a loooooong time ago, but not anymore, and he's a *horrible* interviewer.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I am happy that 5 hours of prime time will give some new shows a shot! My clients need to work!
  • this is news?IMHO late night tv sucks
    The bus came by and I got on!!!!!
    Well apparently Conan isn't getting the ratings and NBC affiliates aren't happy because the local newscast ratings have dropped. So NBC has to make a decision. He was handed a number 1 rated show and it has dropped to 3 in less than a year. Maybe if all the people I hear saying Conan is so much funnier than Leno he would still be number 1.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

KevDylan wrote:
    This really sucks for Conan. Not even one year into the show and he's getting screwed over. Why can't Leno just retire?

i thought lenos ratings were bad? im sure he wont last long after this mess.
    I'll be back
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,631
    conan should not go for this. he should jump to fox if he can and save face. leno's ratings are poor at 10pm also. plus you have to consider that conan's humor needs to grow on people. it took years for his late night show pick up in the ratings. doesn't nbc remember that? this is the same network right? :roll:

Day 2, NBC's late-night held hostage

Conan o'brien On Thursday, the industry was abuzz about Jay Leno and the fate of his primetime talk show.

But on Friday, the focus shifted to another NBC host -- Conan O'Brien -- and speculation that he may jump to another network due to NBC's rollback effort reneging on his "Tonight Show" agreement.

If NBC gets its wish, the network could be in a strong position moving into next season. Scheduling a half-hour version of "The Jay Leno Show" at 11:35 p.m. and then an hourlong "Tonight" with O'Brien just after midnight would not only free up 10 p.m. for scripted programming but also fire two barrels onto CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman." Letterman's hour would, in effect, face both Leno and O'Brien. Between the two, it isn't hard to predict that NBC would easily reclaim its title of late-night leader.

Leno is apparently up for the change. But O'Brien hasn't signed on. If O'Brien skips to a rival network, the late-night landscape will be in for a whole new competitive makeover.

A source at ABC denied interest in O'Brien, expressing confidence in the network's current late-night figurehead, Jimmy Kimmel, whose show has posted gains this season. But a Fox source sent a clear signal of interest.

"We've always been interested in late-night, and we’re always looking to bring great new talent to Fox," the well-placed source said. "While Conan would be a great fit for Fox, he’s still under contract with NBC, so we’ll just see how all of this plays out."

Forget Simon Cowell -- it's O'Brien who may be Fox's biggest X-factor.

Another way to read the comment is that Fox is merely mucking with a competitor. Remember, Fox's overtures toward O'Brien years ago helped push NBC into locking down the former "Simpsons" writer by promising him "The Tonight Show" in 2009, a agreement whose implications are still being played out. Even if O'Brien stays at NBC, another network expressing interest puts pressure on a rival.

There are also a couple contractual wrinkles that discourage a O'Brien changing networks. One is that O'Brien's contract includes a $40 million penalty fee if NBC takes away the "Tonight Show." The network seems confident that by keeping the program's name unchanged -- even if the time period moves -- that it doesn't violate his contract. Another is that O'Brien's contract may not allow him to change networks, at least not right away, though one report suggested that NBC wouldn't block him.

In the meantime, the clock is ticking.

NBC would love to have a positive resolution to its current debacle to announce at its press tour session Sunday. And with affiliates getting antsy, the network prefers to make a change shortly after its Winter Olympics coverage.

People close to O'Brien say the host has received overtures from "several places" and that he will likely not make a decision before March 1.

Though even if Leno and O'Brien get sorted, there's always the possibility of more news stemming from other changes in NBC's late-night lineup.

"Nobody is talking about Jimmy Fallon," marveled an NBC insider.

Or Carson Daly.

"Yeah, or Carson Daly."
    www.myspace.com
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    So basically he is the Brett Favre of prime-time? Oh well, I know I won't be watching regardless of when he's on the tube...won't change the fact that he's not very funny.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    After Conan ran across the country, this us how NBC is gonna treat him? Haha

NBC has been in decline for a while now. Whoever thought leno would do well at ten is an idiot. The other networks have some good dramas on.
  • Given to...Given to... Posts: 4,989
    Oh how I wish I clould find my post when the original changes were planned. I think I said something to the effect of "Conan Sucks" and he wont last 3 seasons..." Just sayin'!

What about that funny Scot? He's gettin into the skin ink now too I see.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • How have Conan's ratings been?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Oh how I wish I clould find my post when the original changes were planned. I think I said something to the effect of "Conan Sucks" and he wont last 3 seasons..." Just sayin'!

What about that funny Scot? He's gettin into the skin ink now too I see.

The funny Scot I believe was very close to overtaking Conan at the 12:30 time slot, doesn't surprise me that Conan is in trouble.

How have Conan's ratings been?
    Apparently NBC is down 2 million viewers from Leno and the show has dropped to 3rd behind Dave and Night Line, and I don't care who you are if your ratings suck any network will pull the plug.

• norm wrote:
    fuck leno

:thumbup:
  • Conan is the man. Leno sucks

What happens to Jimmy Fallon show then???
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    Leno just needs to go away.

I'm sorry, but his time is over. He announces his retirement from the Tonight Show. It is promised to Conan, who as a result gives up his high rated show and moves across the country to do the Tonight Show. Leno decides he's not done and steps on Conan's toes by deciding to do the Tonight Show without the name....in front of Conan's show.
    What changed other than time?
    The Leno show bombs, while Conan is pulling in decent ratings.

I don't get it. I don't get how or why NBC is so buddy-buddy with Leno? You'd think his show would just get CUT. Are they afraid of Leno going to another network? That's absurd especially when they apparently gave Conan and ultimatum.

I don't get it.

I feel bad for Conan in all of the BS.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    There's not much that's funny about Leno, he needs to go away.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)