Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,818
    81 wrote:
    i'm suprised there is so much love for Conan. He's been brutal since moving to the tonight show. It's painful to watch him interview A list celebs. Leno does a nice job and is more personable and not a complete dork.

And if you look at the history, Leno was beating Letterman in the 11:30 time slot, where as Letterman is destroying Conan. NBC is smart to move Leno back into the tonight show slot and either move conan back to 12:30 or let him go to Fox.

He's great at interviewing guests. Although I think Letterman does it better. And Letterman was beating Leno at first. But they never got rid of Leno. And he ended up beating Letterman. Which I never understood, why?
    I miss igotid88
    81 wrote:
    i'm suprised there is so much love for Conan. He's been brutal since moving to the tonight show. It's painful to watch him interview A list celebs. Leno does a nice job and is more personable and not a complete dork.

And if you look at the history, Leno was beating Letterman in the 11:30 time slot, where as Letterman is destroying Conan. NBC is smart to move Leno back into the tonight show slot and either move conan back to 12:30 or let him go to Fox.
    I remember reading an interview with Letterman right after Leno left the Tonight Show, saying he thought NBC should have kept Leno where he was since the show was a ratings success, something NBC didn't have too much of.

It's all about ratings. One of the big problems with the Tonight Show now isn't just that a lot of people don't get Conan's humor. It's that he has essentially been doing the show the same way as Leno did it and it doesn't work. He needs to stick with what worked for him on his previous show or somehow find his own groove. I'm not much for late night tv but when I've watched Conan lately it's been painful.

He's also not getting ratings help from 10 o'clock dramas. Leno's show at 10 was hurting local newscasts at 11. And in turn didn't help Conan.
    I miss igotid88
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    good for you conan!

Conan O'Brien tells NBC to take a hike

Conan O'Brien is not going to take one for the team. The host of NBC's "The Tonight Show" released a statement this afternoon saying that he would not move his show from 11:35 p.m. to 12:05 a.m. to make room for Jay Leno's return to late night.

Since news broke last week that NBC wanted to move Jay Leno out of prime time and put him back in late night, speculation has centered around whether O'Brien would be willing to move his show or walk.

In a statement, O'Brien said that he was disappointed but "after only seven months with my "Tonight Show" in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their horrible difficulties in primetime in making a change in their long established late-night schedule. ... So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it."

The decision will likely allow NBC to return the "Tonight Show" to Jay Leno, where it would run for a full hour.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/enterta ... -hike.html
    Conan refuses to move to 12:05 am

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/blog/
    I miss igotid88
    norm wrote:
    good for you conan!

Conan O'Brien is not going to take one for the team. The host of NBC's "The Tonight Show" released a statement this afternoon saying that he would not move his show from 11:35 p.m. to 12:05 a.m. to make room for Jay Leno's return to late night.

Since news broke last week that NBC wanted to move Jay Leno out of prime time and put him back in late night, speculation has centered around whether O'Brien would be willing to move his show or walk.

In a statement, O'Brien said that he was disappointed but "after only seven months with my "Tonight Show" in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their horrible difficulties in primetime in making a change in their long established late-night schedule. ... So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it."

The decision will likely allow NBC to return the "Tonight Show" to Jay Leno, where it would run for a full hour.

jinx
    I miss igotid88
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    good for conan :clap::clap::clap::clap:
    www.myspace.com
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i vote conan goes back to writting episodes of the simpsons!
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    norm wrote:
    good for you conan!

yes! rock on coco!
  • seems to me NBC is in the wrong here. I remember clearly like 5 years ago they announced conan would take Jays spot. 5 years ago. it was major news. And there was a huge hoopla for jays last show and Conans last show in Ny. They promised that Conan would take Jays spot. So conan moved to LA where the Tonight Show is shot, and his show in turn became "The Tonight Show with Conan o Brien". And its also my understanding that The Tonight Show has ALWAYS aired at 1135. So what did NBC think that conan would do when they asked Jay to take Conans spot and conan to move to 1205? What were they thinking?

You can tell Conan is pissed. Jay always seemed like a pretty nice fellow but he seems callous reguarding this.

Why didnt Jay turn down the offer and say "no my friend conan, the guy I passed the baton to, deserves his chance, I got my shot at the tonight show, announced I was stepping down, and moved on"?

Jerry Seinfeld came out, and said he is on Team Jay, suggesting "what did NBC do to Conan?" "they arent preventing people from watching him".

No they just promised conan the tonight show, and now basically fired him after a few months.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    NBC is being really shady. i was curious as to how his contract works in all this, if they would still have to pay him even if he left.apparently they don't consider it a breach of contract because they're still offering him the tonight how. and they never bound themselves to a particular time slot.

:roll:

assholes!
    NBC is being really shady. i was curious as to how his contract works in all this, if they would still have to pay him even if he left.apparently they don't consider it a breach of contract because they're still offering him the tonight how. and they never bound themselves to a particular time slot.

assholes!

there is a clause in conan's contract that nbc must give him a show that starts before 12:05am...if they don't, nbc must give him 45 million dollars which is why nbc wants to put leno on at 11:35 for a half hour

nbc fucked up and is trying (poorly) to keep jay and conan and hope they can get their late night ratings back
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    norm wrote:

assholes!

there is a clause in conan's contract that nbc must give him a show that starts before 12:05am...if they don't, nbc must give him 45 million dollars which is why nbc wants to put leno on at 11:35 for a half hour

nbc fucked up and is trying (poorly) to keep jay and conan and hope they can get their late night ratings back

Yep, and Conan is playing his cards right.

Good for you Conan!!!
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    Anyone remember that Leno/Letterman movie on HBO many years ago called The Late Shift?

I loved it, and assuming it was accurate, it shows how Carson wanted Letterman to be the next host, and it showed how ruthless Leno was to steal it away. I particularly enjoyed when Letterman wanted to have discussions with CBS, but his contract specifically said he cannot negotiate with another network while with NBC his agent Michael Ovitz said something to David like "if you're is in a room with CBS, and if CBS wants to talk TO you, we can't stop them from talking" or something like that, which did not break his contract. ...that was some creative and funny shit.

What I'm getting at is even though Fox has said very openly that they have not been negotiating with Conan, I bet they've been "talking" to Conan.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
    norm wrote:

assholes!

hey norm....does the clause say it has to start at 11:35? if not, couldn't they just get crafty and say start it at 12:00 sharp or some other time in between?

by the way--you gotta respect how conan went out of his way to mention letterman and fallon and only referred to jay as his "predecessor."
    www.myspace.com

hey norm....does the clause say it has to start at 11:35? if not, couldn't they just get crafty and say start it at 12:00 sharp or some other time in between?

the point of the clause is to guarantee conan gets the 11:35 slot...this clause was put in the contract after what happened to dave when nbc/leno screwed him out of the tonight show back in '92...so now nbc/leno are trying to do the exact same thing...letterman had a similar clause except it was for a million dollars which is nothing to ge/nbc but conan's penelty clause is much greater...but i wouldn't put it past nbc to eat the 45 mil and let conan leave...then when douchebag leno decides to leave again in a couple years nbc will be left with jimmy fallon and carson daly...2 people about as entertaining as anal warts
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

Conan's full statement:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
    Conan is doing the right thing. That was a very heartfelt statement and I agree with him 100%.
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Conan is doing the right thing. That was a very heartfelt statement and I agree with him 100%.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way

HAHAHAHA

is he doing a show tonight??
    www.myspace.com
  • 6a00d83451d69069e2011570edba61970b-320wi
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    norm wrote:

the point of the clause is to guarantee conan gets the 11:35 slot...this clause was put in the contract after what happened to dave when nbc/leno screwed him out of the tonight show back in '92...so now nbc/leno are trying to do the exact same thing...letterman had a similar clause except it was for a million dollars which is nothing to ge/nbc but conan's penelty clause is much greater...but i wouldn't put it past nbc to eat the 45 mil and let conan leave...then when douchebag leno decides to leave again in a couple years nbc will be left with jimmy fallon and carson daly...2 people about as entertaining as anal warts

What I don't understand is why they don't let Leno go outright? and if he ends up on Fox or ABC, so be it. Conan will be on TV for 20 plus years, Leno just a few more. To me this is got be part of the reason NBC is so screwed up, they can't make a decision and stick with it.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    aNiMaL wrote:

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way

HAHAHAHA

is he doing a show tonight??
    It shows it on the guide....I guess we'll see. I hope so. I can't wait to hear what he has to say.
    lukin2006 wrote:
    norm wrote:

What I don't understand is why they don't let Leno go outright? and if he ends up on Fox or ABC, so be it. Conan will be on TV for 20 plus years, Leno just a few more. To me this is got be part of the reason NBC is so screwed up, they can't make a decision and stick with it.

leno's ratings are why they have tried to keep him...since conan has taken over, he has been losing to letterman...also, local news at 11:00pm has suffered among nbc affiliates and if they aren't happy, the nbc executive in charge can kiss his job goodbye

nbc is trying to fix their major fuckup and have it all...since that's not really feasible, they've decided to go with leno
  • right on coco! hope everything works out :)

i cant imagine how that must feel... regardless of where your personal alliances are (dave, jay, conan), ya gotta admit the guy got shafted pretty seriously... it takes more time and support than hes been given to get the show really going - from a ratings standpoint... very professional and sincere statement
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    norm wrote:
    norm wrote:

leno's ratings are why they have tried to keep him...since conan has taken over, he has been losing to letterman...also, local news at 11:00pm has suffered among nbc affiliates and if they aren't happy, the nbc executive in charge can kiss his job goodbye

nbc is trying to fix their major fuckup and have it all...since that's not really feasible, they've decided to go with leno[/quote]

Leno was affecting the 11pm newscast. Which in turn affected Conan. Conan has been doing good with the 18-34 crowd though.
    I miss igotid88
    Letterman has a good joke tonight on his show about NBC not having a 10pm drama. They showed a preview for a new show called Law & Order: Leno Victims Unit
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Letterman has a good joke tonight on his show about NBC not having a 10pm drama. They showed a preview for a new show called Law & Order: Leno Victims Unit

http://www.cbs.com/late_night/late_show ... 4qa2nmxtzt

:lol::lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Hahaha, that was funny!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,959
    aNiMaL wrote:
    norm wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:

Hahaha, that was funny!

That was great :lol::lol::lol:

I have to say, Conan has a lot of class. His statement was really heartfelt and professional. I wish him all the best.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • I read Conan's statement on the yahoo news thing. thought it was very classy. he is awesome for keeping the tradition of the late night's time going the same as its always been. just want to say that I think Conan, Leno, and Letterman are all awesome.

I do, however, think its a shame that so many old people that watch late night may not be happy with Conan's show and/ or are missing Leno. I've overheard an older person literally say that there are no good late night shows on anymore. some people just can't be pleased. maybe conan's not for "everyone" but he does have alot of quality humor in his shows and tries VERY hard to please the masses. probably too hard, but some of the old viewers out there and the humdrum network execs will never appreciate that. I like how Conan ended his statement by saying--"oh and sorry about my hair--its always been like that". I love you Conan!! You're the most awesome and funniest underdog that ever graced the Tonight Show!!