Leno going back to Tonight Show

Comments

• rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    how the fuck can nbc not tell that the problem with leno's show is HIM. not the fact that he's on at 10:00.

i mean this is so unfair to conan. complete bullshit. conan is so much funnier than leno and has been getting such better ratings than him.

way to go, nbc. i can't wait to hear what howard stern has to say about this.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Nothingman54Nothingman54 Posts: 2,251
    it would be great if conan took over craig f. and put craig on fox. World Wide Pants!
    I'll be back
  • how the fuck can nbc not tell that the problem with leno's show is HIM. not the fact that he's on at 10:00.

i mean this is so unfair to conan. complete bullshit. conan is so much funnier than leno and has been getting such better ratings than him.

way to go, nbc. i can't wait to hear what howard stern has to say about this.

To be honest, the problem is somewhat the time slot... if the earlier poster was right, Leno's ratings at 11:30 were much higher than Conan's are now.

Leno is an idiot, but he got ratings with the older crowd... for some reason they haven't followed him to 10:00 (or really stuck around for Conan).
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    I am a Letterman fan first and foremost. But I also really really like Conan. And this is terrible news for him. Leno sucks monkey balls in the humor department and should just do what the fuck he announced he was going to do 6 fucking years ago and just RETIRE already!!!

Between NBC and Jay Leno, they together are looking to really fail and take a whole network down with them.
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I am a Letterman fan first and foremost. But I also really really like Conan. And this is terrible news for him. Leno sucks monkey balls in the humor department and should just do what the fuck he announced he was going to do 6 fucking years ago and just RETIRE already!!!

Between NBC and Jay Leno, they together are looking to really fail and take a whole network down with them.
    I think NBC was failing before this, they are the 4th place network. Truth is Leno was number 1 at 11:30 and Conan is no longer number 1. Ratings draw advertising revenue, advertising revenue pays the bills. If it was Jerry Seinfield on at 11:30 with the same results I'm sure he'd have the plug pulled as well. Jay Leno just worked at 11:30, I think mainly because he attracted an older demographic and Conan attracts a younger demographic who are not even home until after midnight.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    dcfaithful wrote:
    So basically he is the Brett Favre of prime-time? Oh well, I know I won't be watching regardless of when he's on the tube...won't change the fact that he's not very funny.

At least Bret had the decency to play for another team, while Aaron Rogers kept his job.
    Leno should be the one finding another network for his late-night return.

Seriously, a major dick move if they're really screwing over Conan like this; not even a year on the job.
    Didn't our boys(PJ) perform on Conan's Tonight Show debut night? and that like last summer.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • I don't get the people thinking that Leno is doing this to screw over Conan... it's a pure ratings move by the network. It's not like Leno is saying "hey, I like 11:30 better, give me my show back".

Both Leno's and Conan's shows aren't working now (ratings-wise), so NBC is trying to fix it's fuckup and move Leno back to the slot that worked for so many years.

If Conan's show was kicking ass in the ratings, he wouldn't be moved for Leno, simple as that.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I don't get the people thinking that Leno is doing this to screw over Conan... it's a pure ratings move by the network. It's not like Leno is saying "hey, I like 11:30 better, give me my show back".

Both Leno's and Conan's shows aren't working now (ratings-wise), so NBC is trying to fix it's fuckup and move Leno back to the slot that worked for so many years.

If Conan's show was kicking ass in the ratings, he wouldn't be moved for Leno, simple as that.

leno does not have to have this show...he has more than enough money and if he still wants a late night show, he can go elsewhere...he announced his 'retirement' from the tonight show 3 years ago and had conan on his show to announce conan as the new host of the tonight show

nbc deserves a lot of blame for this mess...especially their former coke head president of the network, ben silverman but in the end, this whole mess can be solved by leno simply walking away which apparently he won't do
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I don't get the people thinking that Leno is doing this to screw over Conan... it's a pure ratings move by the network. It's not like Leno is saying "hey, I like 11:30 better, give me my show back".

I agree, I don't think the problem is Leno, the problem is Conan don't work at 11:30, Leno did.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,630
    lukin2006 wrote:
    aNiMaL wrote:

I think NBC was failing before this, they are the 4th place network. Truth is Leno was number 1 at 11:30 and Conan is no longer number 1. Ratings draw advertising revenue, advertising revenue pays the bills. If it was Jerry Seinfield on at 11:30 with the same results I'm sure he'd have the plug pulled as well. Jay Leno just worked at 11:30, I think mainly because he attracted an older demographic and Conan attracts a younger demographic who are not even home until after midnight.

conan's #'s are higher in the the key 18-39 demographic that generates the most advertising dollars though.

did nbc actually think an extra million or two people would automatically take to conan's humor?? his late night show took quite a while to get off the ground. the people running nbc should have their heads examined. only good thing about that network is it's thursday night lineup...until 10pm
    www.myspace.com
    norm wrote:

leno does not have to have this show...he has more than enough money and if he still wants a late night show, he can go elsewhere...he announced his 'retirement' from the tonight show 3 years ago and had conan on his show to announce conan as the new host of the tonight show

nbc deserves a lot of blame for this mess...especially their former coke head president of the network, ben silverman but in the end, this whole mess can be solved by leno simply walking away which apparently he won't do

i think russell dalripple shares some blame too....
    www.myspace.com
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283

I hear he has a hot daughter with giant boobs.

:D
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    i feel really bad for conan. but most of all for jimmy fallon. i mean his show might not be fantastic, but hey, when conan first started out it took him some 6 years to get to the point where he is today.

and how can you say no to jimmy fallon? the guy looks like one of the most fun, down-to-earth guys there is on television today.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    norm wrote:

Not possible, he's been in the bathroom vomiting profusely. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    david letterman slaps the shit out of dorky jay leno and that doorknob conan o'brien.
    letterman's funnier than both those clowns put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJs2id-NfU4 4:00 on :D
    howard stern... "i didn't like jay, i never liked jay, i can't stand jay"

funny shit
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick wrote:
    david letterman slaps the shit out of dorky jay leno and that doorknob conan o'brien.
    letterman's funnier than both those clowns put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJs2id-NfU4 4:00 on :D
    howard stern... "i didn't like jay, i never liked jay, i can't stand jay"

funny shit

Conan > Letterman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Leno
  • bootlegbootleg Posts: 675
    Why is NBC so in love with Leno? They made the wrong choice years ago when they picked him over Letterman and they are making the wrong choice again keeping him. His comedy has always been lame and his new show was cringe worthy. The affiliates local news ratings are down because leno is such a bad lead in and I think this also affects conans ratings as well. I think he would have had much better ratings if leno never ruined the 10pm slot.
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    remember when it was Leno who would stand in for Jonhy Carson when Carson was out for whatever reason he was out? Leno goes way back with the tonight show.

horrible, just horrible.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    mca47 wrote:

I hear he has a hot daughter with giant boobs.

:D

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    www.myspace.com
  • NBC IS FUCKING STUPID IF THIS IS TRUE

CONAN DID MORE FOR THAT SHOW THAN LENO COULD EVER HOPE TO

on the brightside... falon and/or daily might lose their job(s) :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    i am so sorry as i started another thread about this today without looking 1st. i think the end result is that when Dave retires late night is dead.

i hope that when Leno comes back NBC loses more viewers. i just would find it funny is Conan goes on Letterman the 1st night that Leno is back at 11:30. that would be great
  • conan should take the fox gig... dunno what it'll look like but he would probably have alot more freedom with material... theyd be willing to pump alot of money into it to get the show started... maybe PJ can play the premiere again? :D

sadly i could see him being like some 3rd party candidate when it comes to the ratings though... it'll probably only take away from daves audience... the tards that enjoy leno will keep following that ass clown

as a former simpsons and SNL writer the guys got plenty of street cred to get some talented people on board

i wanna see how this plays out
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    conan should take the fox gig... dunno what it'll look like but he would probably have alot more freedom with material... theyd be willing to pump alot of money into it to get the show started... maybe PJ can play the premiere again? :D

sadly i could see him being like some 3rd party candidate when it comes to the ratings though... it'll probably only take away from daves audience... the tards that enjoy leno will keep following that ass clown

as a former simpsons and SNL writer the guys got plenty of street cred to get some talented people on board

i wanna see how this plays out

I think Conan will move to fox but i don't know if he will take Dave's viewers. i personally think that Dave likes Conan. i heard him say that he thought Conan was very funny. Dave a still still is the funniest person on late night with Conan being second and then john stewart 3rd. John will take Letterman place when Dave is gone.

i just don't know why Leno would want back to 11:30 considering that NBC didn't want him before and basically told Leno to retire what liek 5 years ago.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm suprised there is so much love for Conan. He's been brutal since moving to the tonight show. It's painful to watch him interview A list celebs. Leno does a nice job and is more personable and not a complete dork.

And if you look at the history, Leno was beating Letterman in the 11:30 time slot, where as Letterman is destroying Conan. NBC is smart to move Leno back into the tonight show slot and either move conan back to 12:30 or let him go to Fox.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    So what the heck is Leno going to do in that 30 minute timeslot?

His incredibly non-funny monologue takes 30 mins itself. Would he still have guests/celebs?

This whole thing is retarded.

I think Conan should leave the network and do exactly what he wants elsewhere, though I think Conan would have too much class to give them the finger and leave.

We'll see.
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    All this makes me want to reread the Bill Carter book THE LATE SHIFT about the Letterman/Leno who will replace J. Carson. As I remember, it was really fucked up back then, too.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    81 wrote:
    i'm suprised there is so much love for Conan. He's been brutal since moving to the tonight show. It's painful to watch him interview A list celebs. Leno does a nice job and is more personable and not a complete dork.

And if you look at the history, Leno was beating Letterman in the 11:30 time slot, where as Letterman is destroying Conan. NBC is smart to move Leno back into the tonight show slot and either move conan back to 12:30 or let him go to Fox.
    I remember reading an interview with Letterman right after Leno left the Tonight Show, saying he thought NBC should have kept Leno where he was since the show was a ratings success, something NBC didn't have too much of.

It's all about ratings. One of the big problems with the Tonight Show now isn't just that a lot of people don't get Conan's humor. It's that he has essentially been doing the show the same way as Leno did it and it doesn't work. He needs to stick with what worked for him on his previous show or somehow find his own groove. I'm not much for late night tv but when I've watched Conan lately it's been painful.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Enkidu wrote:
    All this makes me want to reread the Bill Carter book THE LATE SHIFT about the Letterman/Leno who will replace J. Carson. As I remember, it was really fucked up back then, too.

that book put a lot of the blame on helen kushnik leno's agent...she was made out to be the bad guy in the whole affair but looking back, it looks to me like jay knew more and instructed helen to get jay the tonight show and in the process fuck over his "friend" dave

nbc had canceled jay's 10 o'clock show...he should leave gracefully and let conan continue...but it looks like jay wants to fuck over another "friend" :roll:
  • mca47 wrote:
    So what the heck is Leno going to do in that 30 minute timeslot?

His incredibly non-funny monologue takes 30 mins itself. Would he still have guests/celebs?

Yeah, I don't get it either... I don't like Leno's show, but from the little that I saw, he was a better interviewer than a monologue guy.

Dave's a natural at it too, but Conan's interviews sometimes have an awkward feel to them.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln