Options

are YOU a sports fan fraud?

Comments

• Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    RW81233 wrote:
    for the fraud-callerouters i've been wondering...are you as faithful to a partner as you are to your team? by your logic shouldn't you marry the first person you date and if you don't you're a fraud?

:clap::clap::clap:
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    oh well you haven't seen juggler's "special" eagles jersey have you? it's worn by a ron jaworski mannequin and that's all i will say.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    RW81233 wrote:
    oh well you haven't seen juggler's "special" eagles jersey have you? it's worn by a ron jaworski mannequin and that's all i will say.

rifle, polish.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    good read. this one should have a caveat or two associated with it:
    --
    “I’m a fan of the school I grew up down the street from.”
    Sigh. Growing up near a university isn’t a good reason to root for them beyond high school. For instance, I grew up in Fort Worth near TCU. In 2010, when TCU won the Rose Bowl, I could have played the “I grew up there” card as a sneaky route to backdoor double-fandom. But that wouldn’t have worked for two reasons. One, I would have been cheating on Texas (which was 5-7, but that’s life). Two, the hometown rule would benefit people who grew up in Columbus, Tuscaloosa, Boise, etc. This kind of fandom is both prohibited and despicable.
    ---

if you went to another big time school, then yeah, your allegiance will obviously have to change. but if you went to a small, non d1 school, then i think it's fine to be able to continue to root for your hometown, big time, school. i don't see anything fraudulent with this...so long as you did not go to another big time sports school. seems like a lot of people who post in here fit into this category.

thoughts?

The rules for college have been established:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... all-fandom

Coincidentally, the first thing I thought of when reading the title of the article was this thread....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    --
    Sigh. Growing up near a university isn’t a good reason to root for them beyond high school. For instance, I grew up in Fort Worth near TCU. In 2010, when TCU won the Rose Bowl, I could have played the “I grew up there” card as a sneaky route to backdoor double-fandom. But that wouldn’t have worked for two reasons. One, I would have been cheating on Texas (which was 5-7, but that’s life). Two, the hometown rule would benefit people who grew up in Columbus, Tuscaloosa, Boise, etc. This kind of fandom is both prohibited and despicable.
    ---

if you went to another big time school, then yeah, your allegiance will obviously have to change. but if you went to a small, non d1 school, then i think it's fine to be able to continue to root for your hometown, big time, school. i don't see anything fraudulent with this...so long as you did not go to another big time sports school. seems like a lot of people who post in here fit into this category.

thoughts?

Coincidentally, the first thing I thought of when reading the title of the article was this thread....
    I think your scenario is covered in the 1AA exception. People that go/went to schools that don't have d1 football are free agents, so long as you don't switch like bandwagoners.

He did have a part 2 that further covers other scenarios:
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-trian ... m-part-2-2
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    What if you've grown up a fan of UConn your whole life but didn't go to UConn for college? Are you a fraud? Two of my cousins went to school where the basketball team was D3 I believe.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Newch91 wrote:
    What if you've grown up a fan of UConn your whole life but didn't go to UConn for college? Are you a fraud? Two of my cousins went to school where the basketball team was D3 I believe.
    Sounds like the 1AA exception to me. If your school doesn't have football or isn't D1 (FBS division), you're a free agent and can root for whoever you choose.

Not sure how this will translate to basketball since there wouldn't be a 1AA exception. If it's a D1 basketball school, I would think that their alma mater would trump the adopted school. For your cousins, I don't think there's any fraudulence going on since they are D3, as long as they still pull for their school in D3 competition.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Hate to say it, but EV's DEFINITELY a fraud :fp:

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=194349#p4576706
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    Hate to say it, but EV's DEFINITELY a fraud :fp:

http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=194349#p4576706

nice job on the circle linking. :thumbup:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    --
    ---

thoughts?

I went to a DIII School, so I pull for Buffalo. Dont think thats cheating as they have had like 1 winning season.

My rooting interest with the big schools adjusts... but I never get emotionally involved or boast, etc... I have always liked Boise St though, way before they were good. In college, my friend had Gamebreaker 1997 for Playstation and I would always be Boise State because their field was cool.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    I'm lost when it comes to baseball allegiance.

I never had a baseball team near me growing up but have lived in lots of baseball cities. When I was a kid the parents would take me to Brewers games back in the Yount / Cooper era. I went to a few Cubs games and used to watch them in college (mainly to hear Harry Carry and figure out how many Buds he was up to) but would never consider myself a Cubs fan because ... their fans are dicks. :mrgreen:;)

I've lived in the following BB towns:

Seattle
    Oakland
    SF
    San Diego

The most I enjoyed going to games was in Seattle. Great stadium and I was there at their when they won a record 116 games and every game was a sellout. I grew up liking the Oakland super team of the late 80's. I went to SF games, but never bonded with the team. I like the Padres logo, but the team sucked and I never bonded with them.

That leaves me with three teams: Brewers, Mariners, and A's. And really two since I favor the M's over the A's.

Am I allowed to root for two teams? (pending they ever have another winning seasons again)
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:

I never had a baseball team near me growing up but have lived in lots of baseball cities. When I was a kid the parents would take me to Brewers games back in the Yount / Cooper era. I went to a few Cubs games and used to watch them in college (mainly to hear Harry Carry and figure out how many Buds he was up to) but would never consider myself a Cubs fan because ... their fans are dicks. :mrgreen:;)

Seattle
    Oakland
    SF
    San Diego

The most I enjoyed going to games was in Seattle. Great stadium and I was there at their when they won a record 116 games and every game was a sellout. I grew up liking the Oakland super team of the late 80's. I went to SF games, but never bonded with the team. I like the Padres logo, but the team sucked and I never bonded with them.

That leaves me with three teams: Brewers, Mariners, and A's. And really two since I favor the M's over the A's.

Am I allowed to root for two teams? (pending they ever have another winning seasons again)
    yes welcome aboard the Brew Crew train! They both have cash, some good players, and are due for a good season every few years. Brewers are likely your best bet in the near term since the NL Central sucks compared to the Ranger-Angel powerhouses.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Sounds like the 1AA exception to me. If your school doesn't have football or isn't D1 (FBS division), you're a free agent and can root for whoever you choose.

Not sure how this will translate to basketball since there wouldn't be a 1AA exception. If it's a D1 basketball school, I would think that their alma mater would trump the adopted school. For your cousins, I don't think there's any fraudulence going on since they are D3, as long as they still pull for their school in D3 competition.

agreed. that is my scenario. however, if you did not go to a non d1 school, i think you'd probably have to root for whatever your hometown college was. the school you've been a fan of your whole life.

my school was d3 (i think...nobody really gave a shit about the sport teams unless one of your buddies was on one of the teams). it's like the minor leagues if you did not go to a d1 school.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    Jason P wrote:

Seattle
    Oakland
    SF
    San Diego

yes welcome aboard the Brew Crew train! They both have cash, some good players, and are due for a good season every few years. Brewers are likely your best bet in the near term since the NL Central sucks compared to the Ranger-Angel powerhouses.

do not listen to this advice jason p. :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    do not listen to this advice jason p. :lol:
    In the end, I've settled with the M's.

Anyone else want to jump on this bandwagon?

thumbnail.aspx?q=4763102287627244&id=670819111ff43167294afe824f1ba2c1
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

agreed. that is my scenario. however, if you did not go to a non d1 school, i think you'd probably have to root for whatever your hometown college was. the school you've been a fan of your whole life.

my school was d3 (i think...nobody really gave a shit about the sport teams unless one of your buddies was on one of the teams). it's like the minor leagues if you did not go to a d1 school.
    Yeah, they've been UConn fans probably since they were born. Thanks for the clarification Juggler and Mark.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,526
    an un-named dude I met in Missoula said the Pats were his team and the Broncos were his backup :nono:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    an un-named dude I met in Missoula said the Pats were his team and the Broncos were his backup :nono:
    :fp:
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Newch91 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    My wife's a giants fan but said she also likes the pats. :fp: :fp:
  • Options
    LloydXmas wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    My wife's a giants fan but said she also likes the pats. :fp: :fp:

at least those two are in different conferences.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I like the people that root for USC in football and UCLA in basketball.
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    SPorts fan frauds.....

:lol::lol:

1New%20Jersey%20Devils%20Adjustable%20Black%20Snapback%20Hat%20with%20Red%20birm%20.jpg
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

the right thing to do in that situation is to punch him in the face and then kick him in the nuts. you would have been in the right.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    I dont know how i missed this thread.

its hilarious and I agree with alot of its sentiments.

:lol:
    :lol:

:thumbup:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

the right thing to do in that situation is to punch him in the face and then kick him in the nuts. you would have been in the right.

I considered it. :think:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    imalive wrote:

I considered it. :think:

there is nothing to consider. you hear something like that--BOOM. DONE. then walk away with your head held high.

IT IS YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ^^^^^ :lol::lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    I sooooo want to call out somebody that I work with. She was born near Reading, PA. Now lives in Delaware. She's a Yankees fan and a Steelers fan :fp:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    How about this one. What if your team(s) really suck, but your unfraudulent friends' team(s) do not, and they are nearing a title run. Are you supposed to sit by idly and watch your friends run around dorm rooms or bars or their houses doing stupid touchdown celebrations, homerun chants, goal screams, etc. or can you pick up and root hard for the team that would bring them the most miserable defeat? I'm not talking about that team being backup or anything just the team of the moment, a one-week stand as it were. I'm a proud fraud, and have found myself rooting for the likes of Rex Grossman, Dirk Nowitzki, Reggie Miller, the Vancouver Canucks, anyone the Patriots ever come across, and so on based on this behavioral choice. Thoughts?
  • Options
    RW81233 wrote:
    How about this one. What if your team(s) really suck, but your unfraudulent friends' team(s) do not, and they are nearing a title run. Are you supposed to sit by idly and watch your friends run around dorm rooms or bars or their houses doing stupid touchdown celebrations, homerun chants, goal screams, etc. or can you pick up and root hard for the team that would bring them the most miserable defeat? I'm not talking about that team being backup or anything just the team of the moment, a one-week stand as it were. I'm a proud fraud, and have found myself rooting for the likes of Rex Grossman, Dirk Nowitzki, Reggie Miller, the Vancouver Canucks, anyone the Patriots ever come across, and so on based on this behavioral choice. Thoughts?
    You can root for anyone to win, but you can't buy their jerseys and gear and claim you are a fan. That's what makes the NCAA tourney so great. There is always a team to root for ... especially if gambling is involved.

I did the same fist pump that Peyton Manning did when Eli hit Plax for a TD in the Super Bowl.