Options

are YOU a sports fan fraud?

Comments

• Options
    DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    I don't really know how to be a sports fan. I have played baseball, basketball, football and hockey over the years, but the thrill of sitting and watching someone else play it escapes me. I have tried to be a fan, and to follow a team, but I can't seem to get all worked up about a bunch of guys who play for my local teams because they have signed contracts to make boatloads of money. They are not local kids from the area, and thier allegience is to their paycheck. I can appereciate the skill of certain players, and be a fan of those players who are exceptional at their sport, but that is as far as I seem to be able to go.

As far as a sporting event as an opportunity to drink however, and I am all in.

Fraud, yes/no?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,278
    I don't really know how to be a sports fan. I have played baseball, basketball, football and hockey over the years, but the thrill of sitting and watching someone else play it escapes me. I have tried to be a fan, and to follow a team, but I can't seem to get all worked up about a bunch of guys who play for my local teams because they have signed contracts to make boatloads of money. They are not local kids from the area, and thier allegience is to their paycheck. I can appereciate the skill of certain players, and be a fan of those players who are exceptional at their sport, but that is as far as I seem to be able to go.

Fraud, yes/no?

well i'd say as long as you keep the same attitude all the time and not jump on the bandwagon when one of your local teams is going for a championship and act like you have always been a huge fan then you are not a fraud in my opinion. but if you're team has a great run and you act like you've been a fan for a long time then i'd call you a fraud.
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

Fraud, yes/no?

well i'd say as long as you keep the same attitude all the time and not jump on the bandwagon when one of your local teams is going for a championship and act like you have always been a huge fan then you are not a fraud in my opinion. but if you're team has a great run and you act like you've been a fan for a long time then i'd call you a fraud.

Bruins are in the Stanley Cup. Will I watch? Prolly not. It will be on at the bar though.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,446
    pjhawks wrote:

Fraud, yes/no?

Bruins are in the Stanley Cup. Will I watch? Prolly not. It will be on at the bar though.

how do you feel about college sports?

also--i think it's okay to jump on your home town team's bandwagon during a championship run so long as you don't act like you've been a die hard forever. championship runs are always fun when casual fans hop on board though. the civic pride we felt with the entire city on board in '08 was out of this world.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    [quote="The Juggler
    how do you feel about college sports?

also--i think it's okay to jump on your home town team's bandwagon during a championship run so long as you don't act like you've been a die hard forever. championship runs are always fun when casual fans hop on board though. the civic pride we felt with the entire city on board in '08 was out of this world.[/quote]

I prefer college sports, but I won't ever make time to sit down and watch.
  • Options
    i think you're good sir. i do not see any fraudulent behaviour with mr dissidentman.

all clear :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i think you're good sir. i do not see any fraudulent behaviour with mr dissidentman.

lol

I am however wearing a Juggler jersey. The away colors, cause they compliment my eyes.
  • Options

lol

I am however wearing a Juggler jersey. The away colors, cause they compliment my eyes.

wear it with pride
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    yes
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    yes
    :lol::clap:

please expound on that...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,114
    No fraud with me for pro teams as the teams I pull for are the closest in proximity to me -- Charlotte Bobcats, Carolina Panthers, and Atlanta Braves.

College is completely different and I'm probably a fraud. I pull for the University of South Carolina Gamecocks, UNC Tar Heels, and Winthrop Eagles. South Carolina is easily explained as that is my alma mater. Winthrop was my mom's alma mater and hometown team growing up. I basically grew up in the Winthrop Coliseum watching them play (crappy -- until my 10th grade) basketball. Maybe a little fraud there...not sure. UNC is probably my biggest fraud team. I pretty much pull for them just because my dad pulled for them. No ties to the school or anything like that. At least I wasn't a bandwagon fan though....I stuck with them through the Doherty years! I will say that I've enjoyed being a fan of Winthrop the most. Their win in the 2007 NCAA Tourney remains one of my most favorite sports memories.
  • Options
    No fraud with me for pro teams as the teams I pull for are the closest in proximity to me -- Charlotte Bobcats, Carolina Panthers, and Atlanta Braves.

College is completely different and I'm probably a fraud. I pull for the University of South Carolina Gamecocks, UNC Tar Heels, and Winthrop Eagles. South Carolina is easily explained as that is my alma mater. Winthrop was my mom's alma mater and hometown team growing up. I basically grew up in the Winthrop Coliseum watching them play (crappy -- until my 10th grade) basketball. Maybe a little fraud there...not sure. UNC is probably my biggest fraud team. I pretty much pull for them just because my dad pulled for them. No ties to the school or anything like that. At least I wasn't a bandwagon fan though....I stuck with them through the Doherty years! I will say that I've enjoyed being a fan of Winthrop the most. Their win in the 2007 NCAA Tourney remains one of my most favorite sports memories.

maybe some fraudulence going on with unc ;) ....then again your pops rooted for them. i dunno.

love the winthrop story though. who did the beat? notre dame back then?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

maybe some fraudulence going on with unc ;) ....then again your pops rooted for them. i dunno.

That's what I figured with UNC...but oh well, doesn't really bother me :)

And, yeah, Winthrop beat Notre Dame that year. They were an 11 seed that year. Played with 3 seed Oregon in the second round for about 25 minutes or so before running out of steam. Magical season for that team. Too bad they've fallen on a bit of hard times after Gregg Marshall left for Wichita State.
  • Options

And, yeah, Winthrop beat Notre Dame that year. They were an 11 seed that year. Played with 3 seed Oregon in the second round for about 25 minutes or so before running out of steam. Magical season for that team. Too bad they've fallen on a bit of hard times after Gregg Marshall left for Wichita State.

hey at least you're from a carolina! not like you from the north east rooting for them :lol:

are you a hurricans fan? that's the hockey team down there right?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Is it ok to root against your team when they move to another city. I loved the Sonics and I despise the OKC Thunder. They were our draft picks and OKC just gets presented this awesome young team. I hate the NBA now!
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011
  • Options

hey at least you're from a carolina! not like you from the north east rooting for them :lol:

Not really big into hockey. But if I did like hockey it would probably be the Hurricanes. Either them or the team from Atlanta, but I hear they might be moving?
  • Options
    Is it ok to root against your team when they move to another city. I loved the Sonics and I despise the OKC Thunder. They were our draft picks and OKC just gets presented this awesome young team. I hate the NBA now!
    Yes, that is perfectly OK. No fraudulence there!
  • Options

dude i can't imagine what i would be like to have your team taken from you. :x i would feel the same way.

and the okc team is so weird. on the surface they seem like such a fun team to watch. love durant. westbrook is awesome....but then you think that this should be the sonics and then you feel bad rooting for them.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Not really big into hockey. But if I did like hockey it would probably be the Hurricanes. Either them or the team from Atlanta, but I hear they might be moving?

i think they're becoming the winnipeg jets. not a big hockey guy myself
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

that should be rule 1
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    i never have to worry about being a bad fan and jumping on and off the bandwagon.

i have no choice...

n510002407_337416_4902.jpg?t=1306898779
  • Options
    81 wrote:

that should be rule 1

i'd feel weird if i were a ravens fan. well not so much now but back before cleveland got the browns back.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i'd feel weird if i were a ravens fan. well not so much now but back before cleveland got the browns back.

i think of all the teams that have moved, i felt the most pity for the browns fans. they sold out municiapal stadium year after year only to have the team ripped out from under them. i hate the business side of sports.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dCowboyPJ wrote:
    i never have to worry about being a bad fan and jumping on and off the bandwagon.

i have no choice...

booooooooo :thumbdown: :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    dCowboyPJ wrote:

i have no choice...

least he's from dallas unlike most of the boyz fanbase on here ;);) :P
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    dCowboyPJ wrote:

i have no choice...

...like you? :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    metsfan wrote:
    dCowboyPJ wrote:

i have no choice...

yeah, no doubt. most cowboys fans couldn't find the stadium on a map even if they were given the letter A
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options

...like you? :lol:
    yup exactly like me but i was being sarcastic
    81 wrote:

yeah, no doubt. most cowboys fans couldn't find the stadium on a map even if they were given the letter A
    its on north collins street :P

• Options
    speaking of Dallas.... did you see Tony Romo's wedding registry :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    no i didn't but post it in the cowboys thread or the nfl thread