Options

are YOU a sports fan fraud?

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,446
    here's a bump for HALFAJAPPA!

regarding the world cup....you root for your home country first but you can root for the country of your ethnic decent secondly.

if you're half a jappa and halfa something else....by all means go ahead and root for both halves :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    Okay...here's a question. There are a few of us here that think using the phrase "we" when referring to a professional sports team is unacceptable. With the World Cup less than 24hours away, I pose the question:

Is it okay to use "we" when referring to the team representing your country in the World Cup? I say it is absolutely acceptable.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i say as long as we are footing the bill, we are part of the team.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Okay...here's a question. There are a few of us here that think using the phrase "we" when referring to a professional sports team is unacceptable. With the World Cup less than 24hours away, I pose the question:

Is it okay to use "we" when referring to the team representing your country in the World Cup? I say it is absolutely acceptable.

In that case yes, it's acceptable because to me even though we are speaking of professional players they are not playing for a professional team owned by some rich fat cat or corporation. On this occasion we are speaking of a country, a country we live in or were born into therefore the use of WE is just fine.

As much as I love the Beantown teams using *we* is just not appropriate for me. Besides I like to keep sports in it's proper place and perspective.

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

In that case yes, it's acceptable because to me even though we are speaking of professional players they are not playing for a professional team owned by some rich fat cat or corporation. On this occasion we are speaking of a country, a country we live in or were born into therefore the use of WE is just fine.

As much as I love the Beantown teams using *we* is just not appropriate for me. Besides I like to keep sports in it's proper place and perspective.

peace

I agree 100%, very well said.
  • Options
    loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,383
    If you're not on the roster or part of the organization, there is no 'we'. Doesn't matter if you went to that college, you're from that country, that town, or whatever. Being a mere fan doesn't grant you credibility rights. Regardless of how much money you've spent on tickets and merchandise.

I see your point when it comes to the world cup, but I would never say 'we' when referring to a team. I'm probably the minority there, but my 2 cents regardless.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    loadedgun wrote:
    If you're not on the roster or part of the organization, there is no 'we'. Doesn't matter if you went to that college, you're from that country, that town, or whatever. Ba mere fan doesn't grant you credibility rights. Regardless of how much money you've spent on tickets and merchandise.

I see your point when it comes to the world cup, but I would never say 'we' when referring to a team. I'm probably the minority there, but my 2 cents regardless.

I agree completely about referring to teams as we. It is one of my pet peeves and i absolutely hate it. I just find something different about the World Cup. I feel like they are representing the country and us more than any professional team can claim to for a city. It is tough for me to explain. I guess because they are not directly playing for a paycheck and are representing the country.

I have played soccer my whole life (until a few years ago) and at pretty high levels in the US and I don't know why, there is just something about the way the team represents the country and soccer comunity in the world cup that I feel it is okay to refer to them as we.
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    loadedgun wrote:
    If you're not on the roster or part of the organization, there is no 'we'. Doesn't matter if you went to that college, you're from that country, that town, or whatever. Being a mere fan doesn't grant you credibility rights. Regardless of how much money you've spent on tickets and merchandise.

I agree with your point but I take exception to a team representing a country. There's something a bit different about that aspect of sport rooting. I mean especially in the sports outside of our American mainstream like soccer, cricket or rugby the rooting for those teams becomes a passion to a point. Especially the point of the USA team which represents this country or any other team who are NOT among the favorites, the passion is quite strong. I feel there's an exception to use the term *we* when speaking of those types of teams representing their countries. I just feel at that time using the term *we* is perfectly ok.

Now here's a different example back in the 80's the Boston Celtics went on the Stock Market and I bought $100 of a share. I always felt after doing so I was part owner and I could say owned that little tip on the end of Larry Bird's black Converse shoelace and I said *WE* to the C's was just fine back then. :D

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i'm okay with "we" if it is your hometown and you've had a vested interest in them your entire life.

what's the difference in not liking "we" for a team representing your city verses a team representing your country though? you're not on either team personally. it's the same thing.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    # Your team moves to another city. All bets are off when that happens. In fact, if you decided to turn off that sport entirely, nobody would blame you.
    The NBA is still dead to me since the Sonics moved away.

The whole league is a corrupt piece of shit with a cock sucker as a commissioner. The only two owners worth a shit are Mark Cuban and Paul Allen, the rest of them can go to hell along with David Stern, Clay Bennett, Howard Schultz, and the Washington state legislatures. :twisted:
  • Options
    here's a good one.

is it fraudulent of me to root for the celtics to beat the lakers? now, mind you, i have seen about 15 minutes total of this nba finals. the nba blows for me unless the sixers are playing...even then its tough for obvious reasons.

the sixers and celtics were one of the nba's biggest rivalries when i was a young buck. i am old enough to remember some of it. but i have utter disdain for the lakers soley due to kobe bryant. i have hated this kid since he was a smug 13 year old playing for bala cynwood middle school. he was a pompous jerk then and even bigger one now.

so, considering, the celtics and sixers rivalry is as dead as gary coleman these days, am i a fraud for wanting them to beat the lakers?

as a side note: i vaguely recal sixers fans and celtics fans chanting "beat LA" at the end of their respective series when it was apparent that the home team was about to lose and the other one was off to face the lakers.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    here's a good one.

is it fraudulent of me to root for the celtics to beat the lakers? now, mind you, i have seen about 15 minutes total of this nba finals. the nba blows for me unless the sixers are playing...even then its tough for obvious reasons.

the sixers and celtics were one of the nba's biggest rivalries when i was a young buck. i am old enough to remember some of it. but i have utter disdain for the lakers soley due to kobe bryant. i have hated this kid since he was a smug 13 year old playing for bala cynwood middle school. he was a pompous jerk then and even bigger one now.

so, considering, the celtics and sixers rivalry is as dead as gary coleman these days, am i a fraud for wanting them to beat the lakers?

as a side note: i vaguely recal sixers fans and celtics fans chanting "beat LA" at the end of their respective series when it was apparent that the home team was about to lose and the other one was off to face the lakers.

no...once your team is elimated, you are allowed to pull for whomever you want for whatever reason you want. just don't be running around like you are a real celtics fan and don't be buying and wearing celtics clear. you need to clearly state that you are a sixers fans, however, in this series you are pulling for the celtics.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955

regarding the world cup....you root for your home country first but you can root for the country of your ethnic decent secondly.

if you're half a jappa and halfa something else....by all means go ahead and root for both halves :mrgreen:
    I am glad we've cleared this up...
    But unfortunately another complication to the matter...
    I've enrolled in the world cup sweepstakes message pit thing, i've been drawn for South Africa.

Where's that in the rule book?!?!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    haffajappa wrote:

I am glad we've cleared this up...
    But unfortunately another complication to the matter...
    I've enrolled in the world cup sweepstakes message pit thing, i've been drawn for South Africa.

Where's that in the rule book?!?!

gambling...especially a random pool is a different story. you're okay here HAFFAJAPPA.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    here's a good one.

no...once your team is elimated, you are allowed to pull for whomever you want for whatever reason you want. just don't be running around like you are a real celtics fan and don't be buying and wearing celtics clear. you need to clearly state that you are a sixers fans, however, in this series you are pulling for the celtics.

i appreciate the fact that you think i am not a fraud in this case but i kind of disagree with your statement. as an eagles fan, if they are eliminated, there is no way i can or will root for the cowboys. in your scenario that would be okay.

in my nba finals scenario--under normal circumstances i think i would be a fraud. but the kobe history thing is what tips the scales....
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

i'm okay with "we" if it is your hometown and you've had a vested interest in them your entire life.

what's the difference in not liking "we" for a team representing your city verses a team representing your country though? you're not on either team personally. it's the same thing.

I think a team in the World Cup is representing their country a whole lot more than players for a professional team making millions are representing their city. I think its a huge difference.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    whew i'm so relieved.
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think a team in the World Cup is representing their country a whole lot more than players for a professional team making millions are representing their city. I think its a huge difference.

world cup players are making millions too though. it's a little different because its a country thing. but they are still representing where you're from and you are not on the team. home town, home country. go ahead and "we" it up dude!

what time is usa/england tomorrow?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

world cup players are making millions too though. it's a little different because its a country thing. but they are still representing where you're from and you are not on the team. home town, home country. go ahead and "we" it up dude!

what time is usa/england tomorrow?

2:30

I think the country thing is a big difference but whatever. I am "we" ing it up for the next month (I am 100% positive that does not sounds right).
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    here's a good one.

i appreciate the fact that you think i am not a fraud in this case but i kind of disagree with your statement. as an eagles fan, if they are eliminated, there is no way i can or will root for the cowboys. in your scenario that would be okay.

in my nba finals scenario--under normal circumstances i think i would be a fraud. but the kobe history thing is what tips the scales....

He did say you can root for whomever you want for whatever reason you want. In my case even though I cannot stand the Montreal Canadiens I rooted for them ONLY to have the potential series of the Bruins and Canadiens play for entry into the Finals. Once the Bruins were eliminated I was back to reality.

Peace

• Options
    81 wrote:
    here's a good one.

fine, then you are a fraud for rooting for either team.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I got a tough one.

My wife took a trip to New England. She thought it would be nice to get me a souvenir. She bought a Red Sox cap for me.

Now what?

Do I wear it? Only when she is around? Do I fake it and say "Wow, what a nice gift" while secretly cursing the hat?

Disclaimer: I don't hate the Red Sox. They have nothing to do with the Rangers. I would be like if she visited Seattle and got me a Seahawks shirt or something. If it was an Angels hat I would burn it on sight.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    I got a tough one.

My wife took a trip to New England. She thought it would be nice to get me a souvenir. She bought a Red Sox cap for me.

Now what?

Do I wear it? Only when she is around? Do I fake it and say "Wow, what a nice gift" while secretly cursing the hat?

Disclaimer: I don't hate the Red Sox. They have nothing to do with the Rangers. I would be like if she visited Seattle and got me a Seahawks shirt or something. If it was an Angels hat I would burn it on sight.

you should put on a wife beater t shirt and have a "conversation" with her. Unless you just met last night in Vegas and had a drunk wedding, she really should know better. I'd put it on ebay.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    I got a tough one.

Now what?

this is interesting. i do not think you can wear this hat what so ever.

the bigger issue, though, is perhaps you are not as big a fan of the rangers as you lead on? i don't know. i do know my fiance would not entertain the idea of purchasing another team/town's hat for me.

maybe you need to re-program the wife a bit? i have heard they need a bi-yearly tune up every now and then. :lol::lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Flagg wrote:
    I got a tough one.

Now what?

the bigger issue, though, is perhaps you are not as big a fan of the rangers as you lead on? i don't know. i do know my fiance would not entertain the idea of purchasing another team/town's hat for me.

maybe you need to re-program the wife a bit? i have heard they need a bi-yearly tune up every now and then. :lol::lol:

Maybe I can plug her into the Mac. Is there an app for that?

I think she was thinking along the lines of it being harmless because they aren't rivals. If I continue wearing my stinky, dusty old Rangers cap maybe she will get the hint.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    I got a tough one.

Now what?

Maybe I can plug her into the Mac. Is there an app for that?

I think she was thinking along the lines of it being harmless because they aren't rivals. If I continue wearing my stinky, dusty old Rangers cap maybe she will get the hint.

gotta rock the old school hat.

i've been sporting the same birds hat since '96. only really wear it on game days though...old hats have so much character.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    81 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    I got a tough one.

Now what?

you should put on a wife beater t shirt and have a "conversation" with her. Unless you just met last night in Vegas and had a drunk wedding, she really should know better. I'd put it on ebay.

this ^^

when i was in NY, knowing how fanatical my father is about his chosen team, i erred on the side of caution and bought him a NYFD cap instead of that of a NY sporting team i knew hed never wear lest he feel like a fraud.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    I got a tough one.

Now what?

this ^^

when i was in NY, knowing how fanatical my father is about his chosen team, i erred on the side of caution and bought him a NYFD cap instead of that of a NY sporting team i knew hed never wear lest he feel like a fraud.

i love how catefrancis gets the whole fraud thing :clap::clap:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    81 wrote:

this ^^

i get the whole fraud thing but.. once your team is out i find it necessary to pick sides .. otherwise i lose interest. but there are matchups where i couldnt give a toss cause both teams are sworn enemies of my team.. heck i cant even find it in me to support our local AFL team cause they wear the colours of a sworn league enemy. my father taught(brainwashed) me well... perhaps a little too well. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

this ^^

i get the whole fraud thing but.. once your team is out i find it necessary to pick sides .. otherwise i lose interest. but there are matchups where i couldnt give a toss cause both teams are sworn enemies of my team.. heck i cant even find it in me to support our local AFL team cause they wear the colours of a sworn league enemy. my father taught(brainwashed) me well... perhaps a little too well. 8-)

well once your team is out, you can root for whoever's left as long as they're not your team's sworn enemy/rival. like when the eagles lost to the cowboys last year---no eagle fan worth his salt would even think of rooting for the cowboys. in fact--that is worth mentioning: if one of your main rivals is playing...you will always have a team to root for---whoever's playing against said rival.
    chinese-happy.jpg