Options

***CHICAGO WHITE SOX***

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    On another note.. ever since the Sox started to turn the season around, they've won 26 out of the last 31 games..

Imagine if they can keep that pace going the rest of the season.. Another World Series title would be so nice to rub in the face of north siders. :twisted:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    you know the interesting thing....

it doesn't appear that they reset the pitching staff.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,763
    Nice W last night. I love when we beat the Twins. I fucking hate that team.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

+1
  • Options
    IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646

Agreed. New stadium, same annoying team. And was it just me, or do all the fans stand-up for every Mauer AB?

Was really pleased with the way they bounced back after Danks' bad inning. 8 runs and only 1 homer, that's always nice to see. And Beckham is heating up...
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Options
    Well, when you give a team 5 outs in an inning, bad things usually happen. Especially against the twinks...
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Jenks has to go. He is only bringing this team down. I don't trust him anymore. He just doesn't have it anymore.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    he blew a big game at the twins but i think 20/22 is still very good for closers
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    choking the playoffs away again
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:

It's only one game. Granted, that was a terrible loss but closers are going to blow games throughout the course of the season.
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    he blew a big game at the twins but i think 20/22 is still very good for closers

Just looking at his numbers, he seems to be a solid closer. But when you actually watch him, he's just not that good anymore. Everything is an adventure. He's fastball is topping out at 93, he has no control of his curveball, and his changeup isn't fooling anybody. He's giving up way too many walks, and he's got no strikeout pitch anymore. He basically has to rely on his defense to get saves. That's not good, especially in a tight AL division race. If Thornton could perfect his change-up, he'd be a great closer. Believe me, I hope I'm dead wrong about Jenks, but this bad trend has been building for a little while now.

Must've been a loooong flight out to Seattle last night. Hopefully they can put this series behind them and get back late June form.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

It's only one game. Granted, that was a terrible loss but closers are going to blow games throughout the course of the season.

they played like crap in MN. gave up a ton of runs that should have never been given up, and then to blow away the last game like they did. brutal.

i feel a slip coming on.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Jenks has to go. He is only bringing this team down. I don't trust him anymore. He just doesn't have it anymore.

Havent trusted him in a few years... Thorton for closer!
  • Options
    Matt may have a better ERA than Bobby but the important stat is Save Percentage:

Bobby 166/189 88%
    Matt 14/35 40%

It was a bad game against a good, pesky Twins teams. It takes cohones to be a closer and Matt can't compete with Bobby. Ask Loveontwolegs- she'll tell you.
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    It takes cohones to be a closer and Matt can't compete with Bobby. Ask Loveontwolegs- she'll tell you.

I love Bobby Jenks.  I do not give a what about these statistics, or him
    "blowing" it...  Whenever Big Bobby steps onto the field, I tingle.... In a
    very good way.

Can Matt Thornton do that for any of you?  I DIDN'T THINK SO!

From now on, the only talk of Bobby and blowing is coming from me, got it
    boys?
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    It takes cohones to be a closer and Matt can't compete with Bobby. Ask Loveontwolegs- she'll tell you.

I love Bobby Jenks.  I do not give a what about these statistics, or him
    "blowing" it...  Whenever Big Bobby steps onto the field, I tingle.... In a
    very good way.

Can Matt Thornton do that for any of you?  I DIDN'T THINK SO!

From now on, the only talk of Bobby and blowing is coming from me, got it
    boys?

While the numbers aren't the greatest, he has been a pretty reliable closer here for the past few years.

But, I won't be surprised at all if he is traded here before the deadline. I do not expect him to be back next season. $7-8 million is just way too much $ to pay for a closer.

Let's take advantage of these 3 games against the dreadful Mariners! Time for another streak to start!
  • Options
    are you bleepin kidding? bobby jenks is the face of our bullpen. jerry will pay up!
  • Options
    KevinmanKevinman Atlanta, GA USA Posts: 1,905
    Davidtrios wrote:
    are you bleepin kidding? bobby jenks is the face of our bullpen. jerry will pay up!

You mean, was the face of the bullpen. I think for the salary he has, he just may not be worth it. There are other guys in that bullpen that are quite capable of stepping up and taking over.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
  • Options
    who is capable of an 88% career save percentage? Plus, the guy is still in his prime.
  • Options
    Rivera has a 89.5 career regular season save % and he is the best of all-time.
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    who is capable of an 88% career save percentage? Plus, the guy is still in his prime.

He's no where near the level he was at in 2006 or 2007. His ERA and WHIP are horrible for a closer on a 1st place team. He's lost his gas, and I'm pretty sure we could all hit his change-up right now. Closers, and bullpen pitchers overall, come and go. Dustin Hermanson had 34 saves in 2005 before Bobby took over in the playoffs. Neal Cotts and Cliff Politte aren't even in the league anymore. Remember Shingo? Or Billy Koch? This shit happens, and the Sox need to stay proactive if they want to keep this division lead. Jenks will always be special for being on the mound for the final out in 05, but I'm just being realistic. 1 and 1/2 game lead and we still have to play the Tigers 14 more times and the Twins 9.

The reason Rivera is the best of all time is b/c he did that over 15 years, not 3. And what about Putz? He had like 75 saves in 2 years with Seattle not too long ago.
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:

after the post two posts before this post, you are pretty much forced to post t his. :geek:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Didn't stay up to watch the game, but it sure is nice to wake up to the news of a White Sox winner. 2 and a half game lead...
  • Options
    i caught the 8th inning. Gordo is finally playing pretty good. that little benching and batting 9th seem to have worked wonders.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

He's no where near the level he was at in 2006 or 2007. His ERA and WHIP are horrible for a closer on a 1st place team. He's lost his gas, and I'm pretty sure we could all hit his change-up right now. Closers, and bullpen pitchers overall, come and go. Dustin Hermanson had 34 saves in 2005 before Bobby took over in the playoffs. Neal Cotts and Cliff Politte aren't even in the league anymore. Remember Shingo? Or Billy Koch? This shit happens, and the Sox need to stay proactive if they want to keep this division lead. Jenks will always be special for being on the mound for the final out in 05, but I'm just being realistic. 1 and 1/2 game lead and we still have to play the Tigers 14 more times and the Twins 9.

The reason Rivera is the best of all time is b/c he did that over 15 years, not 3. And what about Putz? He had like 75 saves in 2 years with Seattle not too long ago.

he has a high era and whip but that isnt nearly as important as save percentage. also, bobby lost some velocity last year but its back up the way it used to be. The only difference between bobby of old and of recent vintage is his apprehension towards throwing the hook. it is such an effective pitch for him but he might be worried about injury. i remember all of those names but clearly bobby has been better and more consistent than those relievers. sure we have a lot of games left in the division and that's great. it'll be an exciting 2nd half.
  • Options
    Didn't stay up to watch the game, but it sure is nice to wake up to the news of a White Sox winner. 2 and a half game lead...

Same here. Even better when the Twinks and Tigs both lose. Hopefully win tonight so they don't have to go into a rubber match Wednesday vs. King Felix.
  • Options
    Omar Vizquel for President
  • Options
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Omar Vizquel for President

That looked like the Omar of old back when he was with the Indians last night.

Great outing by Danks.

Let's sweep them tonight. You gotta kick these teams when they are down.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Matt may have a better ERA than Bobby but the important stat is Save Percentage:

Bobby 166/189 88%
    Matt 14/35 40%

It was a bad game against a good, pesky Twins teams. It takes cohones to be a closer and Matt can't compete with Bobby. Ask Loveontwolegs- she'll tell you.

These stats dont mean shit to be honest... Ill take almost anyone over Jenks. Am I the only one whos stomach turns upside down when Jenks comes in? Even with a 3 run lead?
  • Options
    Am I the only one whos stomach turns upside down when Jenks comes in? Even with a 3 run lead?

My stomach does flip flops too when he comes it... But that is only because I luuuuuurve Bobby! :lol: