The Chicago Cubs..Please Just Go Away!!!

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jim Hendry fired.

Only 2 years too late. It's about time Ricketts did something.

Agreed. I am sure there was a collective sigh of relief from Cubs fans.

Yeah I would imagine. I'm a white sox fan and I've been wanting them to fire Hendry...he just killed that team with some AWFUL contracts.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jim Hendry fired.

Awesome!!!

Still not sure why anyone ever thought Hendry was worth a damn?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    mca47 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Jim Hendry fired.

Awesome!!!

Still not sure why anyone ever thought Hendry was worth a damn?

other than the Milton move, he didn't do too many really bad deals. yeah, in hindsight the soriano deal is lookign bad, but at the time, everyone loved it. aram was beloved before he stopped caring. if they would have done the zambrano deal a year/year and half earlier everyone would have loved it. everyone was in love with fukodome for a while as well.

but at the end of the day, the team quit about 2 years ago and they've not cared since. they don't have any fire in the belly.

they need to clean house on the field, but it's been tough to do with the contracts that they have unless they trade the player, send cash and get low prospects back.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,362
    81 wrote:
    yeah, in hindsight the soriano deal is lookign bad, but at the time, everyone loved it.

Really? At the time I was thanking the higher power that the Phillies didn't sign him.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    81 wrote:
    yeah, in hindsight the soriano deal is lookign bad, but at the time, everyone loved it.

Really? At the time I was thanking the higher power that the Phillies didn't sign him.

this is the cubs tho. they are dying to win and willing to try anything to get there.

i could be wrong.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,362
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

this is the cubs tho. they are dying to win and willing to try anything to get there.

i could be wrong.

Maybe delusional Cubs fans were happy about that signing, but I don't think rational baseball fans thought it was a good contract.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    yeah...i didn't the contract thoughts back then, but from what i could dig up, baseball people thought it was generally too much, but that there was potential for it to work. obviously not. i'm guessing the cubs sale helped drive that price up. tribune didn't give a shit, outside of fielding a decent squad to get a new owner excited.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg

Maybe delusional Cubs fans were happy about that signing, but I don't think rational baseball fans thought it was a good contract.

I remember hearing about the Cubs getting Soriano and thinking "Oh, ok...that's pretty cool"....then I saw the contract and got instantly mad! Most Cub fans I know when through that same thought process.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    from espn.com

The Chicago Cubs can be fixed. Just don’t be fooled by their recent stretch of 14 wins in 19 games. This isn’t a good team and probably won’t be a good team in 2012. Crack an egg, mix in some butter and start from scratch.

Bring in an experienced general manager.
    Buster Olney reported Sunday that three possibilities to replace Jim Hendry are Yankees GM Brian Cashman (his contract expires at the end of the season), Billy Beane of the A’s and Tampa’s Andrew Friedman. While the trendy thing might to hire a young 33-year-old Ivy League grad, the smart move is to hire one the three guys above, who are not only fluent in advanced metrics but would come with the job security and patience required to rebuild the franchise.

Pay big bucks for the best scouting director, scouts and player development people you can hire.
    The revolving door of signing mediocre veterans hasn’t worked. Giving playing time to guys like Xavier Nady or Carlos Pena aren't solutions; they’re caulking on a broken dam. The Cubs need to start thinking like the Red Sox and Yankees, which means: Develop your own talent and, if you sign a free agent, make sure he’s a star.

The last Cubs' first-rounder to develop into a star was Mark Prior, drafted in 2001. The Cubs had three other top-10 picks since 2000 and drafted high school hitters Luis Montanez, Ryan Harvey and Josh Vitters, none of whom developed as expected. (Vitters still has time; as he’s currently in Double-A, hitting .283 with 12 home runs, but just 17 walks). The last first-round hitter that developed into a solid major leaguer was Doug Glanville, drafted in 1991. The Cubs’ player development system has been broken for a long time. Compare that to the Red Sox, who developed Kevin Youkilis, Dustin Pedroia, Jacoby Ellsbury and now Josh Reddick this decade. The Cubs have spent 20 years drafting athletes; the Red Sox have spent a decade drafting baseball players.

Realize that you’re stuck with Alfonso Soriano, but that you need a real left fielder.
    Soriano is making $19 million each of the next three seasons. That money is spent, a sunk cost regardless of whether Soriano gets 600 at-bats or 60. Next season, that total should be closer to 60, not 600, as Soriano is now a one-dimensional player who pops the occasional home run but brings nothing else to the table, most notably the ability to get on base -- among 188 major league players with at least 350 plate appearances, Soriano’s .281 on-base percentage ranks 181. That’s unacceptable for a left fielder.

Go after Prince Fielder, not Albert Pujols.
    Fielder is four years younger, provides the left-handed power bat the Cubs need, and despite his girth is one of the most durable players in baseball, having missed just 12 games in six seasons. He may not be quite as good as Pujols, but he won’t cost as much and is arguably less of a long-term risk. Put it this way: I’d rather have Fielder for seven years and $154 million than Pujols for eight years and $225 million.

Recognize that Starlin Castro is a good player, but maybe not a franchise hitter … and maybe not a shortstop.
    By that, I mean a hitter who will grow into his power and move down to third or fourth in the order, as many project for the 21-year-old. On the bright side, of 18 hitters since 1980 to accumulate at least 800 plate appearances through their age-21 season, Castro ranks behind only Alex Rodriguez with his .304 batting average. But with just 10 home runs in 992 at-bats, his power numbers are near the bottom of the list. That doesn’t mean the power won’t come -- it just means we don’t know if Castro is more likely to develop like Edgar Renteria or Gary Sheffield. More problematic has been his play at shortstop. I’d give Castro another year there, but down the road the Cubs may be better off moving Castro to second base and finding a better glove for shortstop.

Trade Marlon Byrd.
    Byrd is a nice player who has hit .295 since 2007, but he’s not a big star and he turns 34 later this month. Byrd is signed for $6.5 million for 2012, making him an attractive trade option for a team in need of a center fielder. Byrd is unlikely to be around when the Cubs are good again, so getting something for him before his aging curve kicks in is vital. Give prospect Brett Jackson, currently tearing it up in Triple-A, a September audition and then the center-field job next season.

Yes, Darwin Barney is scrappy and “Kunane” is one of his two middle names. But don’t love him too much.

Cubs fans like Barney, but he’s the kind of disposable middle infielder that second-division clubs give starting jobs to, not championship teams. Even if he hits .296 again -- and that is unlikely -- Barney has no power and doesn’t draw enough walks for a guy with no power. He’s OK as a stopgap, but it’s a big mistake if he’s still the starting second baseman in three years.

Dump Carlos Zambrano.
    Like Soriano, the money is a sunk cost. At this point, Zambrano just isn’t good enough to warrant the headaches he creates. Put him in on waivers the day the season ends and just eat the money.

Be patient.
    Don’t try to fix this in one season. The Cubs have been patching it together year by year for too long. It did all come together with a 97-win season in 2008, but that type of scenario is rare. Jim Hendry was never willing to bite the bullet and rebuild, but it’s time. Be patient, give the new GM the same resources as Hendry, and there’s no reason the Cubs shouldn’t turn into a consistent winner like the Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies or Cardinals.

Oh, and quit blaming the *&*(#!@ goat.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    [speedy]Castro is a super star in the making[/speedy]

i didn't watch the game last night, but i read in the paper today, he had his back to the ball on a pitch. :lol:

would have been a field day had the SS been plunked in the back on a liner. and in other news, Quade didn't know about it...he was too busy managing the game to watch what is happening on the field :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    starlin_castros_space_cadet_routine_draws_bobby_vs_ire.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

Nothin' like keeping your head in the game!! :lol: :? :evil:

Either way, Castro is the least of my worries on this POS team!
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:

Nothin' like keeping your head in the game!! :lol: :? :evil:

Either way, Castro is the least of my worries on this POS team!

i agree.

you have a 3rd baseman that doesn't give a shit

a pitching staff that pretty much blows from starters to the middle relievers to the backend

a left fielder that can't field and is only an average hitter

who in's right? fuck, i don't know

jerome walton....errrr....soto behind the plate.

a 1st baseman that shouldn't have ever been signed. 10M for a one year deal. that still makes me shake my head. :lol:

and a manager that doesn't watch the games.

to top it off...a "superstar" short stop that doesn't know how to take ball, field a ball, or know when a ball is being pitched. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Cubs Culture.

It must be expunged and replaced.

It must be torched and buried.

It must be memory-holed, both past and present. Otherwise, there’s no future for this sinkhole of a club.

Imagine: Shortstop Starlin Castro, the Cubs’ emerging superstar, actually can play in a ‘‘Sunday Night Baseball’’ national telecast and not bother to face the plate while his own pitcher is pitching.

This happened.

It was worse. Throughout the top of the sixth inning Sunday night against the St. Louis Cardinals at Wrigley Field, Castro looked like a kid who was chasing butterflies in his head.

Several times he stood straight up as Cubs pitcher James Russell began his delivery. Castro roamed around in the dirt, looked at the night sky, reached for sunflower seeds in his pocket even as a pitch was being thrown. He madly chewed and spat seed husks as though he were a hamster preparing for hibernation. He looked as ready to be a major star as a Little Leaguer counting clouds in deep right field.

That TV announcer Bobby Valentine picked up on the display — and ranted about its harmful effect on any team-building — is a good thing.

How can any major-leaguer care that little? What kind of teammate allows it? What kind of manager, for God’s sake?

And then we get even more interesting Cubs Culture insight.

Alou’s admission

We now have learned that after the disastrous sixth game of the National League Championship Series in 2003 — the ‘‘Bartman Game,’’ if you will — Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez, along with teammate Moises Alou, booked a flight home to the Dominican Republic for the day after Game 7. All the Cubs had to do was win Game 7, and they would have been in the World Series for the first time 58 years.

But as Alou told interviewer Alex Gibney for the upcoming ESPN documentary ‘‘Steve Bartman: Catching Hell’’: ‘‘I remember myself and Aramis booking a flight home. Even before Game 7. Just in case. But you know, that’s the thing that we would have done if we felt positive about the outcome of our next game. Because of all the things that happened before.’’

Alou’s statement doesn’t make much grammatical sense, but all those ‘‘things’’ apparently were Bartman’s innocent interference on a foul ball that shouldn’t have made any difference whether it was caught or not, and just the usual . . . Cubs stuff.

Get out of town early.

Leave fans and management wondering — just like Sammy Sosa and Carlos Zambrano did.

What is the deal here?

Manager Mike Quade, who said he ‘‘wasn’t looking’’ when Castro was acting the fool — even though the shortstop was almost in front of Quade and the behavior went on for a long time — benched Castro for Monday night’s game.

It was a ‘‘mental day off,’’ Quade said, when he actually meant it was a mental day on.

Attention deficit disorder was brought up, as if Quade’s a therapist. And maybe all Castro needs is some Ritalin or Adderall, so he can join the many other prescription-medicated ballplayers who no longer are allowed to gobble illicit ‘‘greenies,’’ like guys did back in the day.

Or maybe Castro just needs to be told.

The kid is just that, a kid. He’s 21, and he’s amazing. But he’s all over the place and basically rudderless.

He not only leads the league in hits, he also leads it in errors.

If Cubs Culture gets him, he’ll become a secret loser who might put up All-Star offensive numbers but never will learn how to win.

Ramirez in the clouds, too

Ramirez, who seems to be the master of putting up huge stats when things don’t matter, hasn’t helped. How — tell me how — can a third baseman play a few yards from the shortstop and not tell him to quit jacking around and get your damn mind on the game, even if we’re so far out of the race it’s pitiful?

Of course, there have been apologies all around. And it’s possible Castro simply is learning the game in public and will, as he promised, never repeat such disrespect and vapor-headedness.

He joined the Cubs’ organization at just 17, and who knows what a college education or even junior-college stint might have done for him?

People might say there’s a Latin culture that’s not intense, almost non-caring. But there are Hall of Famers of Latin descent who were as fierce and focused as lions.

There are answers for this 103 years of losing everywhere. And there is a bit of truth in all of those answers, but not one thing alone.

As Alou says in the film regarding the Cubs’ future, ‘‘We had a bad feeling about it.’’

That must end.

And it has to start now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I said it before and I'm sure I'll be saying it for a long time...
    They should have hired Sandberg! He's a take no bullshit kind of manager...the EXACT kind of manager a club like the Cubs need. A guy the players respect, a guy who will call your ass out for say....not paying attention on the field, a guy who would have no issue benching a guy making 10 mil/year.

Oh, and apparently Hendry was not big on Sandberg for manager.

Hendry is gone, and the Sandberg bridge was long burned. Typical Cubs.
    mca47 wrote:
    Hendry is gone, and the Sandberg bridge was long burned.

i don't think so. i think if the Cubs offered him the job today, he would take it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

i don't think so. i think if the Cubs offered him the job today, he would take it.

That's hard to say. I think it would be more likely with Hendry gone....
    Either way, I don't see it happening and I'm pretty sure if they fire Quade (which I think is unlikely), they'll probably just hire some guy off the street who has never even seen a baseball game. :lol:

Its funny watching games where they have former managers talking about the Cubs. Whether its Brenly, Valentine, or whoever...they all seem to see a much bigger and accurate view/insight of this team than the manager himself.
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

That's hard to say. I think it would be more likely with Hendry gone....
    Either way, I don't see it happening and I'm pretty sure if they fire Quade (which I think is unlikely), they'll probably just hire some guy off the street who has never even seen a baseball game. :lol:

Its funny watching games where they have former managers talking about the Cubs. Whether its Brenly, Valentine, or whoever...they all seem to see a much bigger and accurate view/insight of this team than the manager himself.

Quade has not impressed me at all. He seems so clueless. I think it's highly likely that he gets tossed, unless the new GM decides to just leave him in place since 2012 is going to be a failure on the field as well.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,933
    the cubs and their fans revel in losing.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    81 wrote:

Quade has not impressed me at all. He seems so clueless. I think it's highly likely that he gets tossed, unless the new GM decides to just leave him in place since 2012 is going to be a failure on the field as well.

He is far to passive and laid back for a team that needs a boot up the ass. I think he understands the game well enough, but what he lacks in is the teaching and practicing of fundamentals....you know, the stuff they go over in spring training over and over again before a season starts?

I think Quade will be back for the simple Cubs rule - "Never do what makes sense." Besides, they fired Hendry...they've exhausted their 'once in a decade smart move' already.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    mca47 wrote:
    81 wrote:

He is far to passive and laid back for a team that needs a boot up the ass. I think he understands the game well enough, but what he lacks in is the teaching and practicing of fundamentals....you know, the stuff they go over in spring training over and over again before a season starts?

I think Quade will be back for the simple Cubs rule - "Never do what makes sense." Besides, they fired Hendry...they've exhausted their 'once in a decade smart move' already.

Quade is in way over his head.

It sounded like Ricketts will let whoever the new GM is evaluate the managers position and make that decision. I don't see any way a new GM would stick with Quade...
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    Not sure if this was posted, but it's worth another look anyway....

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/artic ... d=backyard
    crazypjfan wrote:

that is one of the few reasons to go to wrigley. for some reason (beer), the women down there have a tendacy to get a little crazy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    crazypjfan wrote:

Nothing better than baseball and smokin' hot chicks!!!

Oh....and beer! :D
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    81 wrote:
    crazypjfan wrote:

that is one of the few reasons to go to wrigley. for some reason (beer), the women down there have a tendacy to get a little crazy

50355_45284493881_5858435_n.jpg
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    mca47 wrote:
    I said it before and I'm sure I'll be saying it for a long time...
    They should have hired Sandberg! He's a take no bullshit kind of manager...the EXACT kind of manager a club like the Cubs need. A guy the players respect, a guy who will call your ass out for say....not paying attention on the field, a guy who would have no issue benching a guy making 10 mil/year.

Oh, and apparently Hendry was not big on Sandberg for manager.

Hendry is gone, and the Sandberg bridge was long burned. Typical Cubs.

ryne sandberg? you mean the phillies next manager after charlie manual steps down?

:mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com
    I forgot to post last friday......

E6

8-)
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,891
    81 wrote:

E6

8-)
    :?:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat wrote:
    81 wrote:

E6

8-)

Castro had an error last friday

E = Error
    6 = Scoring Position

Pitcher = 1
    Catcher = 2
    1st base = 3
    2nd base = 4
    3rd Base = 5
    SS = 6
    RF = 7 right????
    CF = 8
    LF = 9 right???
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,891
    81 wrote:
    mickeyrat wrote:
    81 wrote:

E6

8-)

Castro had an error last friday

E = Error
    6 = Scoring Position

Pitcher = 1
    Catcher = 2
    1st base = 3
    2nd base = 4
    3rd Base = 5
    SS = 6
    RF = 7 right????
    CF = 8
    LF = 9 right???
    gotcha. been a lifetime since I followed baseball. Did the Pirates win? Thats who they were playing last friday werent they?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
This discussion has been closed.