Options

fans over 40

Comments

• Options
    BoltOfLightnin'BoltOfLightnin' South Jersey Posts: 708
    MG79478 wrote:
    I looking to connect with fans over 40. The fans that grew up listening to PJ and still do. Lets connect.

Once you connect with them, can you convince them to move on with their lives, let their 10C memberships lapse, and let some other folks sit up front? :)

Yeah, right. :roll:

I'm 42. Went to all four Philly shows, with my husband and kids. I can outlast the young dudes at shows, too. I'm relatively new to 10C -- actually lived in Seattle in the 90's, but was too busy dealing with babies to go to concerts and too poor w/husband in grad school to afford tickets.

For the young whipper-snappers wandering into this thread, I want to tell you a story:

My twelve-year-old leads an activity that involves organizing teens and taking them to a local retirement home to perform for the residents. He's a classical musician, and the other kids include guitarists, jazz musicians, violinists, vocalists.

Guess what music the old ladies like best? Frank Sinatra? Mozart? No -- The Beatles, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash. They LOVE the Beatles. They sing along, they tap their feet, some who can get up and dance. They rock out. These ladies probably were about my age when the Beatles arrived in the US; I'm not about to tell them they are are too old to be into that music.

Musical tastes grow and evolve with time. Since high school, I have learned to love reggae, jazz and classical music. But I still go crazy when I hear the Clash or the Ramones, and I doubt that that ever will change. Good music is not a phase, it is part of you.

Awesome! I can relate...I too was broke w/little ones in the early '90s and didn't see PJ for the first time until '98. I can't imagine any reason why I would ever stop listening to them either...oh, and love The Beatles too! My mom & dad were huge fans and I grew up listening to them (I'm even named after George Harrison :) ). I love almost all genres of music and LOVE going to concerts. I think that it keeps me young so I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon!
    No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    Yes I fall into this category as well, and sorry young folks, I'm not giving up my membership EVER.
  • Options
    LA98LA98 Posts: 256
    I'm 42, but when I listen to PJ I'm 22 again... :D
  • Options
    MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,629
    MG79478 wrote:
    Once you connect with them, can you convince them to move on with their lives, let their 10C memberships lapse, and let some other folks sit up front? :)

Yeah, right. :roll:

I'm 42. Went to all four Philly shows, with my husband and kids. I can outlast the young dudes at shows, too. I'm relatively new to 10C -- actually lived in Seattle in the 90's, but was too busy dealing with babies to go to concerts and too poor w/husband in grad school to afford tickets.

For the young whipper-snappers wandering into this thread, I want to tell you a story:

My twelve-year-old leads an activity that involves organizing teens and taking them to a local retirement home to perform for the residents. He's a classical musician, and the other kids include guitarists, jazz musicians, violinists, vocalists.

Guess what music the old ladies like best? Frank Sinatra? Mozart? No -- The Beatles, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash. They LOVE the Beatles. They sing along, they tap their feet, some who can get up and dance. They rock out. These ladies probably were about my age when the Beatles arrived in the US; I'm not about to tell them they are are too old to be into that music.

Musical tastes grow and evolve with time. Since high school, I have learned to love reggae, jazz and classical music. But I still go crazy when I hear the Clash or the Ramones, and I doubt that that ever will change. Good music is not a phase, it is part of you.

Awesome! I can relate...I too was broke w/little ones in the early '90s and didn't see PJ for the first time until '98. I can't imagine any reason why I would ever stop listening to them either...oh, and love The Beatles too! My mom & dad were huge fans and I grew up listening to them (I'm even named after George Harrison :) ). I love almost all genres of music and LOVE going to concerts. I think that it keeps me young so I'm not planning on stopping anytime soon!

No one said to stop listening or stop going to concerts. Just "spread the wealth" and let your number lapse, so someone else can get up front. :)
  • Options
    GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    43 going on 18
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    Why would us older fans let our membership lapse?

A good majority of us now have kids. By the next tour my oldest will be ready to join me for his first PJ experience.

And yes he will do it from up front.

Do people who own beachfront homes let their mortgages go so that younger people can buy?

As I type this my son just turn on some music and guess what he selected?

Do the Evolution Baby!
  • Options
    BoltOfLightnin'BoltOfLightnin' South Jersey Posts: 708
    MG79478 wrote:

No one said to stop listening or stop going to concerts. Just "spread the wealth" and let your number lapse, so someone else can get up front. :)

But I've never even been up front for PJ! :( Only joined the 10C in '03 so...still waiting to work my way up there!

A good majority of us now have kids. By the next tour my oldest will be ready to join me for his first PJ experience.

Right?! Except I doubt either of my girls would go with me, it's just that the older they get, the more freedom I have to go to more shows!!! :lol:
    No time to be void or save up on life...you've got to spend it all.
  • Options
    F5AgainstOneF5AgainstOne New Hampshire, USA Posts: 1,462
    41 :D
    EV Solo Boston 6/16/11
    East Troy 9/3/11
    East Troy 9/4/11
    Amsterdam 6/26/12
    Amsterdam 6/27/12
    Wrigley Field 7/19-20/13
    Worcester, MA 10/15/13
    Worcester, MA 10/16/13
    Hartford, CT 10/25/13
    Seattle, WA 12/06/13
    Denver, CO 10/22/14
    Fenway 2016 #1
    Fenway 2016 #2
    Fenway 2018 #1
    Fenway 2018 #2
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Hi pumpkinhead,

Love your name. I used to call my son that when he was still a wee one hanging on to my leg. He now towers over me by a solid 14 inches!!!!

I am over 40 - My mother used to tell me that a lady doesn't tell her age so I guess I can say that I'm 2 days older than Jeff Ament. For some reason that sounds so much better than admitting I'm 48 LOL.

Geeze, in a few years I can put an AARP sticker right next to the PJ sticker I have on my car :(
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    cindylcindyl Posts: 63
    57 and hobby is traveling to pj/ev shows around this country,my kids say fix up the house, save for retirement-dont know where i went wrong-i try to explain that i've been listening to great rock bands since i was a kid-1st show cost 2 dollars-the fugs -the velvet underground and the grateful dead with a light show at the stanley in pgh. think i've seen about everyone but hendrix and the beatles. .why stop now. guess i could roll over the hill, but some part of me says ,nah-you aint dead yet-rock some more .i'll be in toronto for both shows, as pj is the last great rock band left,--- almost comatose but rockin still.
  • Options
    Well to all you "youngsters". I can beat the lot of you, I turned 60 not too long ago. Have been a fan since 10 and the last three times I saw PJ was the 02 London, Hyde Park and Shepherds Bush Empire. Will start to worry about age when I have to sit in the seats!!!
    1996 London
    2000 London
    2006 Jools Holland, London
    2007 London
    2009 SBE London
    2009 O2 London
    2010 London
    2012 MEN 1&2, Berlin 1&2. EV Solo London 1&2
    2013 NY1, NY2, Philly 1, Philly 2
    2014 Ams 1, Ams 2, Leeds
    2016 Toronto 1
    2018 London 02 1&2
    2018 Barcelona

• Options
    dimsdaledimsdale Posts: 101
    I'm 52 I'll see you all at PJ20 :)
  • Options
    snertsnert Posts: 219
    I'm 48 so am i too old for this thread? :roll: :lol:
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    I'm 40 and remember first hearing pearl Jam in college. It's funny, I don't feel old with this band...we all grew up together, so to speak... :D
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    43 and get out of my way whippersnappers or I will beat you with my cane! :lol::lol:
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    cindyl wrote:
    57 and hobby is traveling to pj/ev shows around this country,my kids say fix up the house, save for retirement-dont know where i went wrong-i try to explain that i've been listening to great rock bands since i was a kid-1st show cost 2 dollars-the fugs -the velvet underground and the grateful dead with a light show at the stanley in pgh. think i've seen about everyone but hendrix and the beatles. .why stop now. guess i could roll over the hill, but some part of me says ,nah-you aint dead yet-rock some more .i'll be in toronto for both shows, as pj is the last great rock band left,--- almost comatose but rockin still.

:clap::clap::D I love it.
  • Options

And yes he will do it from up front.

Do people who own beachfront homes let their mortgages go so that younger people can buy?

You would do it to "spread the wealth". You have something that others on the board want, It's not fair that you get to keep it.
  • Options
    59 and just "discovered" PJ last year-I may have missed the first 20 years, but I plan to keep rockin' with them for the next 20-what a ride it will be!!! :D :thumbup: :clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    cindyl wrote:

So you seriously are not saving for retirment, so that you can travel around to see concerts? Please tell me you are just kidding.
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    A lady never tells
    Let's just say 50-ish and still here (no pun intended)
    grew up with the Dead and missed the 80s scene completely (thank goodness) raising young kids
    shot right from the 70s to the 90s without missing a beat
    My Mom even traveled a bit with me to check out the Dead and Dylan
    So I guess you could call it a family affair
    my oldest son has been traveling w me to shows for years now
    I used to take him to Dead shows when he was young
    Then he started taking me to Pearl Jam shows
    NOW we do our PJ thing together

See all you fellow oldsters in Alpine! :D:D:D

Check out this photo of My Mom ~ age 74 and still rockin' it out with her Grateful Dead tee!

CopyofCopyof3053_1035084849146_1586190161_30092588_835266_n.jpg
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    42 here!
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    :wave:
    wow
    never saw this thread
    ( i think )
    Been a big fan since 1992,
    when I was in my first year of Radiology school.

I'm 44 years young.

:wave:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    mzklvspjmzklvspj Chicago Posts: 55
    I'm 44 and proud of it..... PJ has been a part of my life since well "Real Life" began...love them

See many of you at PJ20 I hope.....

MzK
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,361
    I looking to connect with fans over 40. The fans that grew up listening to PJ and still do. Lets connect.

if i may, if you're over 40 that means you pretty much started listening to pearl jam when you was all growns up already ;)

old heads! :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    I turn 40 in 2 days.....Then I can connect with you all!!!! 8-)8-)8-)
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    cindylcindyl Posts: 63
    MG asked if i was serious about traveling to see PJ or saving for retirement.-hell yeah i'm serious, there are no garuantees in life, odds are i wont be here in 20 years and if i am chances are good i wont have the smarts,strenth or energy to see this world,- present tense -living life today,tomorrow-eh, i'll have lots of good times to remember.[ besides-AO exposure RVN 1971, gov. stats say 4 more for me, going to go out high,loud and with a smile on my face ]see ya all in toronto pre shows.
  • Options
    E.KE.K New South Wales, Australia Posts: 7,702
    59 and just "discovered" PJ last year-I may have missed the first 20 years, but I plan to keep rockin' with them for the next 20-what a ride it will be!!! :D :thumbup: :clap:

Wow! :wtf: Now let's see if we can get someone in their 60s to post here. :)
  • Options
    :wave: I'm 42.

Forever fan but have never been able to attend a concert so you can say I'm a virgin and I'm getting my first taste at PJ20!!!!

Can't wait.
    I don't need drugs to make my life tragic~E.V.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,495
    E.K wrote:

A friend of mine is 63, but he doesn't post here. I turned him onto PJ about 5 years ago. He's gone to quite a few shows with me, in a few different States.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,533
    cutz wrote:
    E.K wrote:

A friend of mine is 63, but he doesn't post here. I turned him onto PJ about 5 years ago. He's gone to quite a few shows with me, in a few different States.

He is hooked like the rest of us know, isn't he?
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2